Deborah James - bowelbabe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I started following Deborah around the time that I was watching Emily Hayward (now she was truly one of a kind – if you haven't watched her YouTube videos, please do! I still watch her when I'm feeling down and her strength never stops being amazing).

Like a lot of others here, I had to unfollow Deborah because all the ads just got a bit much. However, I do think this most recent You, Me and the Big C podcast gives a bit more insight into her mental process and why she was desperately trying to keep everything seeming normal in the Instagram 'snapshots' of her life. Obviously as things have now deteriorated that's not so much of an option anymore.

I do feel very sad for her and her family, although she seems to generally respond quite well to treatments so I hope whatever she is trying now helps to extend her life for awhile longer and that she can spend as much time as possible with her children and family.

Reactions: 12
What did she say on the podcast? I find the marketing etc on her Instagram irritating, but obviously feel for her with her diagnosis. It’s a horrible situation at her age and with young children.

Reactions: 3
I've just listened to her latest podcast episode. It shines a different light on that story she put up on Instagram over Christmas.
I actually thought she was very honest on the podcast, she said she couldn’t bear looking at social media and seeing people with stage 4 dancing around when that’s not the reality of cancer, she also acknowledged that that’s how people must have perceived her at times. To get to five years has been a miracle but it seems things are rapidly changing. I hope it is a case of stepping away to focus on rebuilding, as much as the ADs annoy me she’s a mum with two young children, cancer is bleeping horrible and I pray for the day we can cure all forms of it.

Reactions: 18
Just wanted to say I've never sided with the argument that she didn't need the money the ads brought in as she could afford private treatment. I always felt course that could be true, however I would do exactly the same if I could, do ads for money to buy treatment for extra time alive with young children. I'm sure she wanted to protect whatever inheritance or funds they had, its all relevant ,no matter what you earn you have a lifestyle that goes with your money and if she used that money to enhance her life in any then good for her. Consider influencers who are paid equally same amounts, they just buy bigger houses or holidays at least hers was going to the cause of extending her life.

Someone said above they knew someone who used a large chuck of tgeir children's inheritance for the same drugs as her so you can only guess the cost.

Possibly she just did the ads for fun, drive more people to her page and ultimately raise awareness of bowel cancer.

I think she grated a little of people's nerves with the dancing etc but no one can deny when it comes to it and their life is ending do you still wish she hadn't danced? I know I feel bad about those thoughts.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just wanted to say I've never sided with the argument that she didn't need the money the ads brought in as she could afford private treatment. I always felt course that could be true, however I would do exactly the same if I could, do ads for money to buy treatment for extra time alive with young children. I'm sure she wanted to protect whatever inheritance or funds they had, its all relevant ,no matter what you earn you have a lifestyle that goes with your money and if she used that money to enhance her life in any then good for her. Consider influencers who are paid equally same amounts, they just buy bigger houses or holidays at least hers was going to the cause of extending her life.

Someone said above they knew someone who used a large chuck of tgeir children's inheritance for the same drugs as her so you can only guess the cost.

Possibly she just did the ads for fun, drive more people to her page and ultimately raise awareness of bowel cancer.

I think she grated a little of people's nerves with the dancing etc but no one can deny when it comes to it and their life is ending do you still wish she hadn't danced? I know I feel bad about those thoughts.
I have just listened to the podcast. It’s a hard, honest and scary listen actually. I feel that she has shared her reality incredibly well. All I can think about is that I wish her well and hope she’s ok. Cancer sucks. It’s not fair. 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 8
She’s really on my mind at the moment. I’m hoping that she’s just taking time with her family!

• Heart
She’s really on my mind at the moment. I’m hoping that she’s just taking time with her family!
Me too (but she is not often absent from Insta for 6 days). Hope I’m wrong and she is having some r&r and spending time with her family. You do notice her lack of presence on Insta though.

Reactions: 3
I listened to it last night too. Very different tone to it compared to her insta account. I do feel so sorry to hear that her health is deteriorating so quickly.

I have followed her for a few years now. Initially I was blown away with her positive mindset but I quickly became annoyed by what I considered the “unrealistic” view she gave of cancer treatment. Then the ads, the prancing about and the path her account was taking just added to my dislike of her account.
With all that said I feel so sad that she is running out of options and her family, especially her kids, may soon lose her. Heartbreaking 💔

Reactions: 7
I might be over thinking, but it worries me that Lauren Mahon (podcast cohost)hasn’t posted anything today….she’s constant on social media. Hopefully nothing and I really hope everything is ok.
Never had anything to say on this thread but I feel quite invested in her story and I hope her silence is just because she is resting xx

• Heart

You’ve made some very fair points. At the end of the day, she was handed the opportunity to use her Insta following to do ads and make money and she accepted, like anyone would. She would have been crazy to say “Oh, no thanks, we’re already wealthy!” 😉

My Dad once told me that money goes to money anyway.

But I don’t think we should be under any illusions that her social media income goes towards paying for her treatment, though. She’s covered by insurance and although there might be some additional costs involved (I don’t know how private healthcare works) I’m pretty sure she would have been well covered by her husband’s hefty salary and/or family money.

I can’t listen to the podcast, it’s too close to home. I am gutted that’s she’s in dire straits.

You’ve made some very fair points. At the end of the day, she was handed the opportunity to use her Insta following to do ads and make money and she accepted, like anyone would. She would have been crazy to say “Oh, no thanks, we’re already wealthy!” 😉

But I don’t think we should be under any illusions that her social media income goes towards paying for her treatment, though. She’s covered by insurance and although there might be some additional costs involved (I don’t know how private healthcare works) I’m pretty sure she would have been well covered by her husband’s hefty salary and/or family money.

I can’t listen to the podcast, it’s too close to home. I am gutted that’s she’s in dire straits.
I think as well before diagnosis she had a really good career. I wonder if the Instagram Ads etc was her way of working as she had to give up her career upon diagnosis. Regardless of how much her husband earns she doesn’t strike me as a woman who’ll just not want to be doing something, which I can’t judge her for and actually admire her for it.

I know there are additional costs on private healthcare, it depends on the cover you have. Some only cover a certain amount, some cover all, especially in cancer care. For example my private health care I have to go through the NHS or fund up until diagnosis and then I can use my private insurance after then.

Gosh it’s crazy how I worry about someone who I have never even had a chance to meet in real life...

Anyway she liked a photo of limitless_em that was posted 14 hours ago... 🤞🤞

Totally agree

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.