Deborah James - bowelbabe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if there’s already a thread about her I’ve tried to find one but nothing specific....

I don’t want come across nasty as I’m not (far from it) but she’s really annoying me now! I have cancer stage 4 although not bowel, the other week she had surgery and started chemo again.... yet went swanning off to Wimbledon and some flower gardens, then was admitted to hospital with sepsis yet today 1 day after being discharged is sat amongst other people watching the men’s final! Now I know full well that having cancer is all about making memories and still doing stuff and not stopping our selves but she said in interviews that she felt like she was overcoming this, she hit rock bottom! I’ve had sepsis twice, the first time in hospital for 6 days came out and had to cancel a holiday to Cornwall as my doctor didn’t think it would be wise going so soon as my body was still recovering and 2nd time I’ve had it was in hospital for 2 days and still came home and rested (actually booked myself into a hotel for 2 nights as 3 children at home it was too much) so I know what it can do to my body and how it makes you feel afterwards!
Yes I know we are all different but there is no way she can go from rock bottom to as high that quick! Yes it’s her job as a instagrammers but honestly look after your body! I’ve had opportunities to go places but declined than because my body is too weak and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to go!
I’m not writing this post to be mean I’m just venting....

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I absolutely can’t say anything about the poor woman , but I just wanted to send you some gentle love - I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you 💜

Reactions: 6
I absolutely can’t say anything about the poor woman , but I just wanted to send you some gentle love - I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you 💜
Thank you.... I’m very stable at the moment but anything can change..... yes we have to take this by the hand that’s handed to us but she’s very contradicting in what she says and do! Chemo rips everything out of you and I’ve never known anyone to have treatment one day and the next be perfectly well to go out especially when she’s making out to be so poorly!

Reactions: 7
As much as I really feel for her dealing with what she is I’m baffled that she and others seem to have turned having cancer into a career. Now I’m glad she raises awareness etc but the amount of gifted stuff she grabs, whilst living with her millionaire husband in their 2+million house is a bit sickening, especially as there will be thousands of others really struggling going through exactly the same, without private healthcare, without all the freebies. It’s a hard one and I don’t want to coma across as nasty towards her as I don’t mean that in any way, but the constant dancing one minute then saying she’s on the floor the next is really odd.

Reactions: 22
I'm shocked how she can bounce from death's door to promoting swimwear. I suppose some of it is envy as I don't have that support circle or money. I do think her promoting bowel cancer in general is great though. Maybe this will give her children a memory of a Mum that was full of energy always.

Reactions: 11
As much as I really feel for her dealing with what she is I’m baffled that she and others seem to have turned having cancer into a career. Now I’m glad she raises awareness etc but the amount of gifted stuff she grabs, whilst living with her millionaire husband in their 2+million house is a bit sickening, especially as there will be thousands of others really struggling going through exactly the same, without private healthcare, without all the freebies. It’s a hard one and I don’t want to coma across as nasty towards her as I don’t mean that in any way, but the constant dancing one minute then saying she’s on the floor the next is really odd.
What does her husband do for a living?

Reactions: 2
Gentle hugs for you Queeniebee.

I think the truth is no one can live in someone elses shoes. The last year or so has taught me that much.

My friends husband (younger than bowelbabe) recently died as a result of his cancer. You could have said very similar things about him as you have about her. Part of it being he wanted to 'make memories for his very young family and partly because that was his way of coping.

When high profile people campaign it really does make a difference to awareness, especially those who aren't -'typical' age ranges etc. He was fit, you would have thought very healthy and into every sport going. Bowel cancer was the last thing on his mind. He dismissed some of his symptoms as the stress of a demanding job and a new baby etc.

Reactions: 4
I had cancer too. I have to admit that dancing around the chemo unit would have been the last thing I felt like doing. It was tough to say the least. From my experience as a cancer patient, that kind of behaviour is not inspiring or encouraging ~ it just made me feel even worse about myself.
I sympathise with her of course but there’s something unseemly about so much of what she posts. All the free stuff when she’s clearly minted. The sexy dances. She’s just too self assured and full of herself to be very likeable. Cancer as a lucrative moneymaker indeed.

Reactions: 20
What does her husband do for a living?
He a banker, they are very wealthy. I do admire her in lots of ways, it’s just the whole ‘cancer as a career ‘ I find a bit odd and maybe hard for others really struggling. I find it really off putting. I loved Rachel Bland but find Deborah hard to take.

Reactions: 17
He a banker, they are very wealthy. I do admire her in lots of ways, it’s just the whole ‘cancer as a career ‘ I find a bit odd and maybe hard for others really struggling. I find it really off putting. I loved Rachel Bland but find Deborah hard to take.
I found the podcast (you, me and the big C) right at the beginning of my journey with cancer and at that time it was just what I needed. Sadly I can no longer tolerate Deborah )or Lauren for that matter). We all tread our path as we see best and I would not begrudge anyone health, wealth, love and happiness but the constant ads and affiliated links amount to making money from those who are not given this plethora of products for free and are likely not as financially well set. In addition to this I don't think either of them have thoughtfully or accurately represented what living through the pandemic has meant for those currently being treated for, or in recovery from, cancer and ultimately, for me, thats a real shame as they have a great platform to do so.

I wish them, and everyone struggling with serious illness and its aftershocks, nothing but kindness but can still also be saddened and annoyed by the monetisation of that disease.
Cancer careerists are not something I ever thought would be a thing. ☹

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I think Deborah had done FANTASTIC work raising awares for bowel cancer. She is incredibly brave in her fight against the disease. However, i have to say, the following ad a couple of weeks ago just didn't sit quite right with me. It was for Sweaty Betty and the whole arc of the ad was celebrating our bodies. Deborahs video was of her in different clothing, while hooked to her chemo and pointedly showing us this. I personally just felt a little uncomfortable that cancer was being used to sell gym clothes.
There's a lot about Deborah I really admire and I hope she still has many years with her family, experiencing as many things as possible and leaving her children with wonderful memories of their strong, courageous mum. But just felt a bit uneasy about cancer being used as promotion for this.
Screenshot_20210801-093610_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
This thread should be shut. It’s crossing a line.
Why? She has cancer and we have all said she does amazing things with promoting and raising awareness, but it’s not always a true representation and I think people are allowed to say that. Remember for all her praise of the NHS Deborah has private health care and I truly believe that has helped her still be here, many do not get that opportunity, I’m not begrudging it her at all but there is a difference. The original poster stated they found it hard to watch the constant dancing around whilst saying how ill they were, again nothing wrong with that. I think it’s crossing a line that someone who makes a living from their illness is suddenly not allowed to be spoken about.

Reactions: 31
It’s not crossing a line. As someone who has had cancer I do grapple with the constant positivity, glossiness and the cancer as a career element. I also resent her constant showing off and flaunting of her freebies and wealth but I guess that’s why I have just stopped following her.

Reactions: 14
This thread should be shut. It’s crossing a line.
I think when you are working for brands and getting paid for your work on Instagram - you open yourself up for criticism. If it was just about her life / her experiences as a cancer patient - nobody would have a problem.

I find her quite astounding in that she is terminally ill yet manages to do so much. Yes, I suppose I'm envious of the support system she has (the money, the private healthcare and the family help) as I know that if I were in her position I would be doing it alone on the NHS (as would most people of course). But, ultimately, I like Deborah as she's a role model for seizing the day and genuinely living every day. No one else is motivating her to get up and do things and I think she's to be admired for that.

They seem to be on holiday? She must have fabulous holiday insurance.

Reactions: 3
I think this is where Instagram can be a very good thing but at the same time also not at all. Having lost both parents to cancer I've witnessed the devastating impact of stage 4 diagnoses and my view is that Deborah has been really candid about her journey and if she helps anyone through this then this is great, and she also raises awareness of symptoms and the importance of early diagnosis. She really is remarkable. and I hope beneficial to show there is a lot you can do even in the face of advanced cancer. I know my mother craved hope at every step of the way. But there's also a side of the "life on Instagram" which I can see may not be that helpful. Very few people have the family support she does or the opportunities to spend their time at Wimbledon/in the South of France as serious illness has huge financial consequences for many people and I really hope that her posts which are the more "influencer lifestyle" type don't have an effect of making anyone with serious illness feel as if they're not making the most of their lives.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.