Dating after lockdown #36 Have you dated a man? You may be entitled to compensation.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good morning

How long does the "initial chase" last. Is it a few weeks?

I find that learning about their previous relationships gives me some insight into how they treat people. For example if they have a few exes that they were in longer relationships with as opposed to various situationships/shorter relationships.

I also check if they are really interested in me and my life or mainly talk about superficial stuff (like meaningless good morning/good night texts).
Problem is a lot of the time they know the playbook by which to act- don’t run down the ex wife, attentive etc…I’ve just figured out you can’t always weed these people out, what you have to do is become resilient and I have tried so hard these last few months to rebuild myself 😄

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I’ve downloaded Hinge ONE LAST TIME! I’ve recently moved to a nicer town so hoping this may help with options. So far one man unmatched me within a few messages but I was getting weird vibes anyway. Another SEEMS (key word) great. I usually meet someone on there pretty quickly, delete it and date, then split up a few months later. Rinse and repeat. Can’t be arsed with finding 6 photos of myself all the time 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ wish me luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Saw a guy in tinder today who had 'your neck here' tattooed in the space between his thumb and his index finger. Now if that doesn't say red flag idk what does

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
I have received a ghost text from a number I don’t have saved and there’s no text history. I have a suspicion who this may be, but is there a way I can run the number to find out social media accounts to verify? I tried Googling the number on its own and then with the name of the person who I suspect it may be but nothing came up.

I do not intend to reply but I am curious to know who it is! I don’t want to engage with them by asking.

Is there anyone more tech savvy than me?! Thanks.

I have received a ghost text from a number I don’t have saved and there’s no text history. I have a suspicion who this may be, but is there a way I can run the number to find out social media accounts to verify? I tried Googling the number on its own and then with the name of the person who I suspect it may be but nothing came up.

I do not intend to reply but I am curious to know who it is! I don’t want to engage with them by asking.

can you save the number to WhatsApp to see their pic? I dunno if this works though

Reactions: 4
can you save the number to WhatsApp to see their pic? I dunno if this works though
I have just tried that but it doesn’t look like they’re on WhatsApp - it’s asking me to invite them to it which I absolutely don’t want to do! 🙈😆

I wish I wasn’t so nosey x
---
I have just tried that but it doesn’t look like they’re on WhatsApp - it’s asking me to invite them to it which I absolutely don’t want to do! 🙈😆

I wish I wasn’t so nosey x
Oh no wait - it seems to have worked now! It’s actually someone I blocked a while back and so it looks like they have a new number. Omg!

Now I know, I can block them again! Thanks for your help! X

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

In future you can try putting it into PayPal I think that sometimes works if they use it!

Honestly dating is exhausting.
I’ve been chatting to this guy on and off for months. I’ve suggested a couple of times oh if you’re free let’s go for a drink.
Any way earlier in the week I was like just be direct and said I’m free Saturday afternoon do you want to go for a drink.
So he’s like sure yeah what sort of time and where.
Get back from the cinema with friends and he’s blocked me what the actual duck. Seriously I just give up.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
First date, sushi place, his suggestion.

The bill comes, he looks at me and says “what do you want to do? Go halves?”

Well of course now I can only say “of course”.

I am mortified when the waiter returns and is informed the bill is being split.

What I would expect: if he suggests the date, he pays for the date. I would pay for the next one. If there isn’t a next one, then that’s just the price you pay for dating.

I paid for the last first date I was on. Because it was my suggestion. It’s nothing to do with gender roles. It’s just etiquette I think.

During the date he made clear that he doesn’t have any financial concerns so it’s not like it is a budget issue. He was otherwise lovely but I’m now worried he’s a scabby bastard.

Thoughts?!

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I think you are correct as the place was his suggestion, he should of paid.

Otherwise how did it go? Did he mention a second date?

But yea it would kind of give me the ick

I think you are correct as the place was his suggestion, he should of paid.

Otherwise how did it go? Did he mention a second date?

But yea it would kind of give me the ick
It went well. He’s been in regular contact since and not at all shy about expressing his interest. I had considered maybe he’s not keen and therefore doesn’t wanna waste money on someone he doesn’t see again (crappy but I can see the reasoning, especially if he’s dating a lot), but that doesn’t seem to be the case here!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I went 50/50 on a first date once and would actually never do it again because he always wanted 50/50 when it was *his* turn to pay, but was happy to let me pay for everything when it was my turn.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
@Carapop im actually traditional in that I think the man should pay for the first date, however I will always offer to split.
I’ve only ever had 1 person that took me up on that offer and it gave me the ick too. But I did carry on dating him because he was really nice but as the dates went on, it was clear money was an issue for him (despite saying it wasn’t) and he would often talk about how “expensive” things were on menus/made comments when I did buy a round of drinks like “I could get used to this” or something along those lines.
I’ve had a bad experience (narc ex) that managed to get a lot of money out of me so this is something I’m probably over cautious with now.

The last straw with my guy was him basically asking why I’d not been back to his yet and why we kept going on dates so ya know 🙃

If you want to see him again then do that, but pay attention to his spending habits/attitudes to you spending etc because they soon tell on their real selves

• Heart
Reactions: 12
First date, sushi place, his suggestion.

The bill comes, he looks at me and says “what do you want to do? Go halves?”

Well of course now I can only say “of course”.

I am mortified when the waiter returns and is informed the bill is being split.

What I would expect: if he suggests the date, he pays for the date. I would pay for the next one. If there isn’t a next one, then that’s just the price you pay for dating.

I paid for the last first date I was on. Because it was my suggestion. It’s nothing to do with gender roles. It’s just etiquette I think.

During the date he made clear that he doesn’t have any financial concerns so it’s not like it is a budget issue. He was otherwise lovely but I’m now worried he’s a scabby bastard.

Thoughts?!
I experienced the same situation a few times!

It is unfathomable to me that someone who suggested meeting for lunch at a certain place and was handed the bill after the meal then put it on the table and forensically examined it and when I said "shall we split" exclaimed "yes!".
Likewise, a well-paid engineer in a managerial position pointed to me when the bill came (we had coffee and cake)! Again, he suggested the date.
ETA: I actually recall him getting up to look at the cake and when I asked him what was on offer he said he could only recall the one he chose and when the waiter came to ask if we wanted another drink he shook his head instead of asking if I wanted another one. No manners!

There were a few others that I can't even recall properly, it is not worth letting them take up space in my memory.

I never saw any of them again, even if they wanted to.

It is such a turn-off for me, inconsiderate and ungenerous and maybe even a reflection of how they are in bed (I know the last bit was mean, but frankly: they don't seem to be givers or gentlemen).

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I agree, it's not the money element, it's the attitude. I'm old as the sands now ha ha so I have more money than I need to be comfortable. I CAN pay. But I'm realising in CBT that I've had a lifetime of ignoring my own basic needs. I like and need comfort and safety. I can get that walking around a park with a guy for free, which I've done before and is lovely. Being surprised with a bill after an invite shows me alot about someone's character and how they won't align with the life I want to live.

Dramatic? Yes, ha ha. But still.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I definitely think he should have paid.
When planning my first date with my Ex, he suggested we go for dinner, and then followed it up by saying I should pick somewhere nice (we were going out near me, he didn't know the area) and not worry about the cost as he would be paying given that it was his suggestion.
That's how it should be I think, and it was nice he'd made it clear in advance (he wasn't always a shitbag 😂)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.