Dating after lockdown #28 It’s not you, it’s dating.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Dating
Rode the six hundred.
“Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!” he said.
Into the valley of Dating
Rode the six hundred.

I think Lord Tennyson best describes what modern dating is like in "Charge of the Light Brigade". Be careful out there ladies and gentlemen, I'd rather go into battle than re-activate my Tinder account.

Our thread title has been suggested by the lovely @LaBlonde, but credit must be shared with our @Clementine who shared it originally in one of her posts.
Honourable mention to @Thank(space)you who shared the wise words: "A reheated cuppa never taste the same."

The previous thread can be found here:

A recap of some of the most-liked comments of the last thread:
  1. @Clickbait : If someone does something that you don’t like - says something that upsets you, leaves you on read for ages for no good reason, refuses to commit to a date or a second date, makes you feel uncomfortable/unattractive/awkward, triggers negative emotions or past experiences - particularly after you’ve only just started chatting or had one date then walk away! He could have a penis the size of the Blackpool Tower but he’s still not the right man for you. I wish women wouldn’t waste their time trying to make sense of why men behave the way they do. Sometimes the answer is simply because they are a massive bell end.
  2. @EddyDarling who keeps her ticks on when it comes to WhatsApp: I have mine switched on so people know I'm ignoring them because I'm a right bleep X
    Swings and roundabouts innit loves
  3. @Thank(space)you who summarized modern day dating with this experience: Was getting on well with a guy on tinder started chatting on WhatsApp and now it comes up in conversation he's a nazi sympathiser 🤦🏽‍♀️ doesn't think Hitler was a bad guy, all a conspiracy theory etc fml.
  4. @jawidjanqndn who almost fell for this absolute charmer: The last hinge date I went on back in October he ended up getting arrested at the end of the night, got a text around 12 the next day from him saying he’d just got out the cell 👍🏻
  5. @xcyber who shared this lovely advice: Tbh you’ve been doing all the chasing. The best way to let him know you’re not interest and show you have standards is to not ever reply to him again. Silence is golden. Actions speak louder than words. And some other cliched yet accurate proverbs!
  6. @Lalla who shared this insight: Some men's egos are so incredibly fragile that any rejection is a massive slight, and in their warped mind entitles them to be rude and unpleasant in response.
  7. @Agent Cooper's win post-break up: Had the pleasure of bumping into my ex today. Not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but I’ve had a bit of a glow up since we broke up (both looks-wise and personality-wise) and he clearly hasn’t. I can’t say I was happy to see him looking a state, but now I am pretty sure our breakup, messy as it was, was for the better.
  8. @LaBlonde who shared some insight into her dating mindset: guys, men truly cannot win with me 🤣 matched with a guy yesterday, he messaged first, did a bit of small talk, sent me a really long message at lunch today which i didn’t have time to reply to and so thought: hey, i’ll do a proper response when i get home. get home to find two further messages: “how is your day going?” and then, two hours later, “how is your day going, okay?” and now i have the ick 🤣
    me: why do men never message me?
    man: messages
    me: oh that’s too much messaging sorry.
  9. @D2them who shared a man's profile that simply stated: If we match I'm probably w'@nking over you 😂 🙈
  10. @Anne1448 who shared the following insight: I don't know why people think that being in a relationship or having a baby before 40 is an accomplishment. All of us could easily be in one by the end of the day. Being in a committed relationship with someone who respects you, values you and respects you is different. We all know married couples who can't stand each other and where the woman is not even getting the bare minimum. Self-respect comes with a price and if that price is being single, I'll happily take it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I feel like I want to cancel my date tonight on account of 2 giant red spots on my face that make up isn’t touching 😫😫😫

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I feel like I want to cancel my date tonight on account of 2 giant red spots on my face that make up isn’t touching 😫😫😫
Pop some concealer on let it dry down for about 10 mins then do foundation it won't move
Even some powder over the concealer tiny bit

Half a league onward,
Rode the six hundred.
Rode the six hundred.

I think Lord Tennyson best describes what modern dating is like in "Charge of the Light Brigade". Be careful out there ladies and gentlemen, I'd rather go into battle than re-activate my Tinder account.

Our thread title has been suggested by the lovely @LaBlonde, but credit must be shared with our @Clementine who shared it originally in one of her posts.
Honourable mention to @Thank(space)you who shared the wise words: "A reheated cuppa never taste the same."

1. @Clickbait : If someone does something that you don’t like - says something that upsets you, leaves you on read for ages for no good reason, refuses to commit to a date or a second date, makes you feel uncomfortable/unattractive/awkward, triggers negative emotions or past experiences - particularly after you’ve only just started chatting or had one date then walk away! He could have a penis the size of the Blackpool Tower but he’s still not the right man for you. I wish women wouldn’t waste their time trying to make sense of why men behave the way they do. Sometimes the answer is simply because they are a massive bell end.
  2. @EddyDarling who keeps her ticks on when it comes to WhatsApp: I have mine switched on so people know I'm ignoring them because I'm a right bleep X
  3. @Thank(space)you who summarized modern day dating with this experience: Was getting on well with a guy on tinder started chatting on WhatsApp and now it comes up in conversation he's a nazi sympathiser 🤦🏽‍♀️ doesn't think Hitler was a bad guy, all a conspiracy theory etc fml.
  4. @jawidjanqndn who almost fell for this absolute charmer: The last hinge date I went on back in October he ended up getting arrested at the end of the night, got a text around 12 the next day from him saying he’d just got out the cell 👍🏻
  5. @xcyber who shared this lovely advice: Tbh you’ve been doing all the chasing. The best way to let him know you’re not interest and show you have standards is to not ever reply to him again. Silence is golden. Actions speak louder than words. And some other cliched yet accurate proverbs!
  6. @Lalla who shared this insight: Some men's egos are so incredibly fragile that any rejection is a massive slight, and in their warped mind entitles them to be rude and unpleasant in response.
  7. @Agent Cooper's win post-break up: Had the pleasure of bumping into my ex today. Not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but I’ve had a bit of a glow up since we broke up (both looks-wise and personality-wise) and he clearly hasn’t. I can’t say I was happy to see him looking a state, but now I am pretty sure our breakup, messy as it was, was for the better.
  8. @LaBlonde who shared some insight into her dating mindset: guys, men truly cannot win with me 🤣 matched with a guy yesterday, he messaged first, did a bit of small talk, sent me a really long message at lunch today which i didn’t have time to reply to and so thought: hey, i’ll do a proper response when i get home. get home to find two further messages: “how is your day going?” and then, two hours later, “how is your day going, okay?” and now i have the ick 🤣
  9. @D2them who shared a man's profile that simply stated: If we match I'm probably w'@nking over you 😂 🙈
  10. @Anne1448 who shared the following insight: I don't know why people think that being in a relationship or having a baby before 40 is an accomplishment. All of us could easily be in one by the end of the day. Being in a committed relationship with someone who respects you, values you and respects you is different. We all know married couples who can't stand each other and where the woman is not even getting the bare minimum. Self-respect comes with a price and if that price is being single, I'll happily take it.
what a wonderful opening post @MsCurly - i love it! 💙

• Heart
Parking myself here 🥰 still really sporadic contact with my friend I’m hopelessly in love with (😫😫😫😫) I have been chatting to a guy on tinder who seems normal so far so I’m defo trying to move on, honestly! I wished him a happy Easter and he’s not replied to my text, he’s like this and it’s annoying 😆😆 (only scribbled out where he went a pic of my bedroom with a cuddly bunny on my bed 😂😂😂) I know it’s stupid being so hung up on replies, I’m kind of on gardening leave at work so being a lot a loose end doesn’t help, doing some laundry 😂😂😂

Attachments

Reactions: 1
I just need to vent because I’m just a bit gutted.

The guy I’m seeing text me this morning out of the blue, while I’m at work, he’s on annual leave ‘would I be annoyed if I said I didn’t want kids’.

We’re 4 months in and have had the kids / marriage conversations, I’ve always been on the fence and so was he but I’m edging more to wanting kids. I was pretty blunt with my response because I’ve basically said it’s not going to work and he’s questioned why?! I’m a couple of months off turning 30, don’t have children and it already feels like my biological clock is ticking. Why would I prolong the pain of continuing something, hoping he’ll change his mind, for him not too and me wanting kids when it’s too late…

I’m so gutted. I’m glad he’s told me but I wish he’d of just told me to my face not the cowards way. I’ve learnt the hard way by spending too long with my ex thinking he’d eventually change his mind over things not as important as this, so I know that it has to end.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Half a league onward,
Rode the six hundred.
Rode the six hundred.

Best recap ever
---
Ahhh my #1 guy from speed dating has matched me so I've now got his email. Shall I message first? Wait to see it he emails?
---
Also far too excited about this 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh god I have never related to a thread title so much 😂

I wish men didn't try so hard to be witty. Just had someone tell me I don't need to state I'm a woman. It really put me off because it felt a bit.... Presumptuous? I have everyone on my settings on my dating apps so if someone who isn't a heterosexual man doesn't want to match with a woman, they have the choice to rule me out without having to change their settings
---
Best recap ever
---
Ahhh my #1 guy from speed dating has matched me so I've now got his email. Shall I message first? Wait to see it he emails?
---
Also far too excited about this 😅
duck it send a message

Reactions: 4
Why WHY do you only ever bump into an ex when you’re looking and feeling your absolute worst 😫 Just ran into the man that absolutely ruined me a few years ago (and not in a fun way) and he’s still maddeningly funny, we still have that best friend vibe we had for the 7 years before we got together, he’s still a bleeping immature idiot and told me he’s ‘changed his number so you can’t contact me even if you want to, if you need me send me a letter’ as if I ever bloody would etc. made a point of still being with his gf and doing well. Asked how my kids are who’s lives he went a long way towards screwing up. Came home walked into the house I moved into with him thinking I’d found my happy ever after and burst into tears. Bleugh. I’ve been with my partner for over a year and a half WHY does this interaction still upset me. Pathetic

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Well I've sent the email, just saying hi its thank(space)you from speed dating. [Number] is my number and [link] is my Facebook if you want to talk for longer than 6 minutes

He didn't match with my sister (she put yes for him, he didn't for her) so that's a good sign. Now the waiting game I guess!
---
Why WHY do you only ever bump into an ex when you’re looking and feeling your absolute worst 😫 Just ran into the man that absolutely ruined me a few years ago (and not in a fun way) and he’s still maddeningly funny, we still have that best friend vibe we had for the 7 years before we got together, he’s still a bleeping immature idiot and told me he’s ‘changed his number so you can’t contact me even if you want to, if you need me send me a letter’ as if I ever bloody would etc. made a point of still being with his gf and doing well. Asked how my kids are who’s lives he went a long way towards screwing up. Came home walked into the house I moved into with him thinking I’d found my happy ever after and burst into tears. Bleugh. I’ve been with my partner for over a year and a half WHY does this interaction still upset me. Pathetic
Forgive me for asking, are you happy with your partner at the moment?

• Heart
Well I've sent the email, just saying hi its thank(space)you from speed dating. [Number] is my number and [link] is my Facebook if you want to talk for longer than 6 minutes

He didn't match with my sister (she put yes for him, he didn't for her) so that's a good sign. Now the waiting game I guess!
---

Forgive me for asking, are you happy with your partner at the moment?
I really do love him (my partner) and I never expected to find anybody so quickly after the ex I just ran into blew everything up, I went on the apps after a load of nagging and interventions from my friends to ‘just talk to other people’ and wham seemed like I’d finally met The One who was actually equally as into me. Generally speaking I’m happy but I’m not happy with the lack of ‘progression’ so to speak. I know he’s never had a relationship as serious as ours and he also has a multitude of legitimate reasons why, he’s very committed to me deep down and admits he’s avoidantly attached due to last trauma etc, I’ve met all his family friends etc a million times and he talks about what we’ll do way in the future… but yeah I’m sad it’s just not bloody going anywhere right now 😫 I’m sick of being patient and to be frank accommodating other peoples issues and needs and backgrounds without them seemingly ever trying to cater for mine. Sorry. Longer reply than anticipated! Long story short yes; and no 😂

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I just need to vent because I’m just a bit gutted.

The guy I’m seeing text me this morning out of the blue, while I’m at work, he’s on annual leave ‘would I be annoyed if I said I didn’t want kids’.

We’re 4 months in and have had the kids / marriage conversations, I’ve always been on the fence and so was he but I’m edging more to wanting kids. I was pretty blunt with my response because I’ve basically said it’s not going to work and he’s questioned why?! I’m a couple of months off turning 30, don’t have children and it already feels like my biological clock is ticking. Why would I prolong the pain of continuing something, hoping he’ll change his mind, for him not too and me wanting kids when it’s too late…

I’m so gutted. I’m glad he’s told me but I wish he’d of just told me to my face not the cowards way. I’ve learnt the hard way by spending too long with my ex thinking he’d eventually change his mind over things not as important as this, so I know that it has to end.
There is no point in trying to change someone's mind honestly, especially if it's a guy who doesn't want kids because if you have them with him and he still doesn't want them - then he can take the easy way out by leaving.

I mean its great if you are fine with being a single parent, it's not all doom and gloom. But it's not always great either.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
So I am recently-ish single and not intending to re-join the dating world for a while but thought I would dip my toe in these threads and it has reminded me of how hard and stressful it can all be to start again!

I am not quite ready to get on the apps as yet and to be honest I only know of one or two from 'back in the day' but is there a list anywhere here of the ones people use/have used with some pros cons etc

I really do love him (my partner) and I never expected to find anybody so quickly after the ex I just ran into blew everything up, I went on the apps after a load of nagging and interventions from my friends to ‘just talk to other people’ and wham seemed like I’d finally met The One who was actually equally as into me. Generally speaking I’m happy but I’m not happy with the lack of ‘progression’ so to speak. I know he’s never had a relationship as serious as ours and he also has a multitude of legitimate reasons why, he’s very committed to me deep down and admits he’s avoidantly attached due to last trauma etc, I’ve met all his family friends etc a million times and he talks about what we’ll do way in the future… but yeah I’m sad it’s just not bloody going anywhere right now 😫 I’m sick of being patient and to be frank accommodating other peoples issues and needs and backgrounds without them seemingly ever trying to cater for mine. Sorry. Longer reply than anticipated! Long story short yes; and no 😂
The only reason I asked, is because (and correct me if I'm wrong) but bumping into your ex probably wouldn't have bothered you so much if your relationship with your partner was in a great place. I think your own current relationship issues are messing with your head in terms of bumping into ex and letting it bring you to tears.

The only reason I asked, is because (and correct me if I'm wrong) but bumping into your ex probably wouldn't have bothered you so much if your relationship with your partner was in a great place. I think your own current relationship issues are messing with your head in terms of bumping into ex and letting it bring you to tears.
I do agree, you’re right, it probably doesn’t have wider impact beyond the fact right now I’m not super satisfied. The relationship with my ex was a mad one tbh. I ended up not seeing my children for huge swathes of lockdown because my ex husband was so angry with me for leaving that he made a load of false claims with the police and cafcass about me that were all proven to be bollocks but BLOODY covid played into his hands with delays etc and court taking forever, ironically we’re in a great place now but the fact that the ex I bumped into earlier was kind of the trigger for alll that anger and spite still smarts quite a lot.

• Heart
Send him a glitter bomb letter or the tit ones. Or do what some one on the Kate Hayes thread does to her ex keep resetting his password

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.