Dating after lockdown #21 More red flags than Pamplona, we don’t wanna know about your boner.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’d be interested to know how old you both are?

I think you have 2 different approaches to dealing with conflict - you both seem conflict avoidant but in different ways. You want to try and mend the problem immediately as it happens because leaving something to cool/calm down increases your anxiety levels that it will become more than it started off being and you need to know all is ok. He needs to take a break from the whole situation to cool/calm down so that he can resolve it in the right headspace.

I understand the desire to want everything to be ok, but by pushing you’re ignoring his boundary for needing/wanting space. And if someone has done something to piss us off it’s ok (and fair) to want to not speak to them for a few hours. Conversations pushed for and had when either or both parties are angry and/or drunk aren’t usually very productive.

The thing I found confusing from your original post was that you called him with called ID off and then realised so put it on again. That struck me as a bit fishy and like you could be trying to catch him out even if you weren’t.
We’ve spoken about it now. We’ve both agreed that we need to be more considerate of how the other person feels when it comes to dealing with things. I told him it wouldn’t make me anxious if he said ‘I need some time to cool off, can we speak later?’ because I would know where I stand. It’s the saying everything is fine and it isn’t that creates the issue. I actually like time to cool off too after conflict, although it doesn’t sound like that 🤣 He said he knows that blanking me mid conversation would make me anxious and unhappy, and he had the full capacity to give me that heads up, but he only thought of himself and his feelings in that moment. He said also he was being passive aggressive when we were trying to work through things the next day and he apologised for that because he knew it was counter productive and purposely dragging things out. I said I tried to give him space for the day and then just wanted resolution before bed, and i apologised because drunk isn’t a productive way to do it. When he wouldn’t speak to me i then did something I knew would make him mad because i only cared how I felt. We addressed the comment he made and me checking the date already so didn’t go back to dwell on them things, we tried to focus on why the chain of events escalated from a thoughtless comment, to a load of nonsense. And it is simply because neither of us know when to leave it. If I’d dropped it after his comment, or he’d dropped it after mine, when it was a non issue, we’d have just said bye normally that morning and got on with our days. We just need to work as a couple vs the issue, not me vs him. I’m looking forward to the counselling session too to work on resolution techniques

The no caller id thing is such a difficult thing to explain to someone out of the situation 🤣. My boyfriend knows about this too, which we kind of laughed at when talking it out. Me and my friend wanted to check in with someone we are friends with from our hometown who we were friendly with in college, we haven’t seen him since a the break between lockdown 1 & 2, he is neurodivergent. I don’t want him to have my number because he rings me about 5 times a day if he has it so it’s easier to check in with him without caller id. I asked him not to call so much but he doesn’t understand the social que. One of the first things my bf said when I had to change my number was at least you can limit the calls to as and when now. I agree obviously I don’t expect him to see no caller id and then automatically think that’s why

Reactions: 3
Starting to wonder if I'm the problem or the men are. Seems like everyone can get dates easily and I can't even get a text back 😒
Girl, me too.

In the other thread we post on (without wishing to be creepy) I’m always like wait - how does that person go from engagement to engagement and I’m over here striking out on all the dating apps?!

(FWIW, I think my issue is that my profile is too deadpan and sarcastic. But I can’t be bothered to change it at the moment so I’ve just deleted the apps and gone on pause mode.)

All that to say, I feel your pain, but it’s not us (or necessarily them even) - I just think it’s luck and algorithms and one of those things. I’ve noticed there are often these famines and feasts on the apps, and I’m very much in a famine right now.

❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Folks, do you ever listen to the Love Life podcast with Matthew Hussey? It’s actually very insightful and I really enjoy it. I initially wrote him off as a smug git but he’s actually very gentle and sweet and kind and clever. And he gets very vulnerable too. It’s worth a listen.

Ok so I was anti dating.
But...An unexpected date is happening tomorrow evening.
Started talking on hinge over the weekend, and he suggested a picnic at a reservoir near me. The weather seems to be in our favour, it’s something I’ve never done before (it’s always been a dinner or drinks date when I dated years ago) He is almost 10 years older than me, seems to have his tit together, and seems to be on the same page as me with not wanting to rush in to anything with someone.
I have absolutely no idea what I’m expecting or want out of it, but just a nice conversation would be great!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Ok so I was anti dating.
Started talking on hinge over the weekend, and he suggested a picnic at a reservoir near me. The weather seems to be in our favour, it’s something I’ve never done before (it’s always been a dinner or drinks date when I dated years ago) He is almost 10 years older than me, seems to have his tit together, and seems to be on the same page as me with not wanting to rush in to anything with someone.
I have absolutely no idea what I’m expecting or want out of it, but just a nice conversation would be great!
You've just word-for-word described my housemate's situation yesterday, from the anti-dating to the picnic to the description of the guy... And she ended up having the best time! She was absolutely buzzing when she got home!

I have a great feeling for you 😊

You've just word-for-word described my housemate's situation yesterday, from the anti-dating to the picnic to the description of the guy... And she ended up having the best time! She was absolutely buzzing when she got home!

I have a great feeling for you 😊
Aw I hope she enjoyed herself!
I also hope it’s not the same guy 🤣

• Haha
Ok so I was anti dating.
Oh how lovely, I’m excited for you! He sounds really lovely. Love that he’s making the effort. Romantic 😍

Ok so I was anti dating.
Sounds like a lovely date. Good luck 👍

Starting to wonder if I'm the problem or the men are. Seems like everyone can get dates easily and I can't even get a text back 😒
I can first date easily its the 2nd dates I struggle with even though they say they want to see me again they end up ghosting me.
I used to hate face timing them but now I always make sure I do before meeting.
Dating takes a knock of your self esteem when your constantly ghosted

• Sad
  • Heart
Sounds like a lovely date. Good luck 👍

I can first date easily its the 2nd dates I struggle with even though they say they want to see me again they end up ghosting me.
BIB - say it louder for those at the back. This is how I feel too!! First dates I’m ok with but I get mass anxiety over if / when second dates.

Manchester man is still texting me - we get on well so I’m hoping even if it doesn’t go anywhere we can still be friends as we had a good laugh. Not pushing for a date, he can sort it😂

Looking forward to meeting my long term friend tomorrow night, we get on well. I’ve expressed I struggle processing the last year and how unwell I was when I went into a coma and I had a mini cry last night, I felt overwhelmed by how I was feeling!! I’d gone to the gym and I was just really tired too. This time last year (today at 11am-ish) I went into ICU, this week will hold a lot of unhappy memories and ones I wish I could forget. He really hoped I was ok and was really reassuring my feelings are validated a year on and mental health is real etc.. I think it helps we are already friends!

Hope everyone is ok xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
BIB - say it louder for those at the back. This is how I feel too!! First dates I’m ok with but I get mass anxiety over if / when second dates.

Manchester man is still texting me - we get on well so I’m hoping even if it doesn’t go anywhere we can still be friends as we had a good laugh. Not pushing for a date, he can sort it😂

Looking forward to meeting my long term friend tomorrow night, we get on well. I’ve expressed I struggle processing the last year and how unwell I was when I went into a coma and I had a mini cry last night, I felt overwhelmed by how I was feeling!! I’d gone to the gym and I was just really tired too. This time last year (today at 11am-ish) I went into ICU, this week will hold a lot of unhappy memories and ones I wish I could forget. He really hoped I was ok and was really reassuring my feelings are validated a year on and mental health is real etc.. I think it helps we are already friends!

Hope everyone is ok xx
Didn’t Manchester man sort out everything to do with date 1?

In a way it’s good you’re able to process and start letting out the emotion of your traumatic event. It can be quite damaging to suppress it. Hope you’re doing ok today - you seem to have come a long way in a year and have a zest for life which is really important.

it really does :(

you have to protect yourself and your feelings, but online dating (in particular) seems to actively encourage you to weaken that protection and, in my experience anyway, just get hurt. i wish we weren’t so constantly told that we’re only valid through receiving romantic love because i honestly wouldn’t care that much otherwise.

i truly just don’t think i can do it anymore. online dating makes men cruel, probably unintentionally, and women just have to keep taking the knocks.

a friend of mine is on an amazing business trip right now in a really cool city. she is in her hotel room
and keeps sending me screenshots of the local clientele on tinder - i keep replying telling her to get off tinder and go exploring 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️ is this yet another addition to the list of reasons why i’m single.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Didn’t Manchester man sort out everything to do with date 1?

In a way it’s good you’re able to process and start letting out the emotion of your traumatic event. It can be quite damaging to suppress it. Hope you’re doing ok today - you seem to have come a long way in a year and have a zest for life which is really important.
yeah he did! But I did say let me know when you’re free. He’s so busy with work during the week and he said he’s working away this weekend. Hopefully next week his schedule isn’t as busy. We will see!

Awww thank you, I think even though some of my dates haven’t worked out getting back into meeting new people, alongside the gym has helped! “Committing to myself” for a better sentence.

Reactions: 1
it really does :(

you have to protect yourself and your feelings, but online dating (in particular) seems to actively encourage you to weaken that protection and, in my experience anyway, just get hurt. i wish we weren’t so constantly told that we’re only valid through receiving romantic love because i honestly wouldn’t care that much otherwise.

i truly just don’t think i can do it anymore. online dating makes men cruel, probably unintentionally, and women just have to keep taking the knocks.

a friend of mine is on an amazing business trip right now in a really cool city. she is in her hotel room
and keeps sending me screenshots of the local clientele on tinder - i keep replying telling her to get off tinder and go exploring 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️ is this yet another addition to the list of reasons why i’m single.
Yeah that's why I came off the dating sites for a bit as i felt like my whole free time was consume by swiping or messaging pointless men.
Every time I got ghosted I started to feel like I'm not good enough when in actual fact most men go on dates to see how long it take for you to sleep with them and I'll be honest I did sleep with them quicker thinking ill lose this great person but now I'm like screw it I'm not gonna sleep with you in hope it keeps ya as it doesn't.

I received a message from that guy and he said hey works full on we can chat in a few weeks.
I just left it on read and deleted it.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I always feel like this. It is not you, please don't think it is. It took me years to finally get a date and now I have still only ever had 2 first dates. It is them not you. Dates are hard work anyway x

I'm having a good day and it's not particularly to do with dating so sorry to derail in a tiny way.

Me and the guy who badly screwed me over have talked and I have closure in the sense that I feel like I can talk with him now and be my civil, dignified self. My closure is very much coming from a place of 'I know now it could never work between us, and I could never let him back in' and that's so powerful for me and it feels like a relief.

Guy who I went to school with is relentless begging for a date and constantly telling me how wonderful I am but the attraction isn't there.

Still off the apps, enjoying flirting and chatting with guys in real life.

Hope you beauties are well and are enjoying the best kind of vitamin D... the sun! X

Last edited:
  • Heart
I always feel like this. It is not you, please don't think it is. It took me years to finally get a date and now I have still only ever had 2 first dates. It is them not you. Dates are hard work anyway x

I'm having a good day and it's not particularly to do with dating so sorry to derail in a tiny way.

Me and the guy who badly screwed me over have talked and I have closure in the sense that I feel like I can talk with him now and be my civil, dignified self. My closure is very much coming from a place of 'I know now it could never work between us, and I could never let him back in' and that's so powerful for me and it feels like a relief.

Guy who I went to school with is relentless begging for a date and constantly telling me how wonderful I am but the attraction isn't there.

Still off the apps, enjoying flirting and chatting with guys in real life.

Hope you beauties are well and are enjoying the best kind of vitamin D... the sun! X
jade it’s lovely to see you back and doing so well 💙

i’m just in my way home from a lovely girls’ trip to scotland where i shopped, drank and ate way too much 🤣 it was touch and go whether i was going to be able to close my suitcase this morning! (thankfully i did but it is surely going to just explode at some point)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
ok so i’m newly single after 3.5 years. no big break up story just i wanted to buy a house and he said no which led me to think there’s clearly something missing in his opinion as we have our gifted deposits and decent enough incomes (mainly me but let’s not get into that). there’s also the fact i 1000000% want kids and he does not, he’ll give or take them and at least not until 32+ where as i wanted them at 26-28 - which he did when we first met. i’m 23 for reference. so the idea of wasting my life to get to 30s for him to turn around and say actually no i don’t want them - is far too scary.

anyway the good stuff. i’m on tinder, which i have found pathetically boring. not one good chat. i decided i’m literally only swiping 8.5s and above to filter out pointless messages… but even the messages i am getting i’m just not replying still. i find it so boring making small talk. plus can you really start convos with “do you want kids if so when? are you mortgage ready?” lol just joking. but i’m not really - the kids thing needs to be said sooner than later for me considering it’s why i’ve just ended an otherwise decent relationship

i am actually seeing someone new. it’s ok. he’s very successful, does want kids and is marriage minded. lives in a fab city centre apartment. sex is good - dick size is ridiculous !!! but he’s very busy and is an absolute workaholic so replies are slow and tend to be in the evening which is leaving me bored but i do think it’s potentially something there so i’ll stick with it for now

ok so i’m newly single after 3.5 years. no big break up story just i wanted to buy a house and he said no which led me to think there’s clearly something missing in his opinion as we have our gifted deposits and decent enough incomes (mainly me but let’s not get into that). there’s also the fact i 1000000% want kids and he does not, he’ll give or take them and at least not until 32+ where as i wanted them at 26-28 - which he did when we first met. i’m 23 for reference. so the idea of wasting my life to get to 30s for him to turn around and say actually no i don’t want them - is far too scary.

anyway the good stuff. i’m on tinder, which i have found pathetically boring. not one good chat. i decided i’m literally only swiping 8.5s and above to filter out pointless messages… but even the messages i am getting i’m just not replying still. i find it so boring making small talk. plus can you really start convos with “do you want kids if so when? are you mortgage ready?” lol just joking. but i’m not really - the kids thing needs to be said sooner than later for me considering it’s why i’ve just ended an otherwise decent relationship
8.5 is a very precise attractiveness measurement and i love it 🤣

dealbreakers and things that are important to you definitely need to be brought up early, especially given how much both the things you’ve mentioned mean to you. but you are only 23 (said from my grand old age) - in my experience of early 20s guys they just aren’t thinking about this stuff yet, what age bracket are you looking at? it might be worth going a tiny bit older for the mortgage and kids point. and also maybe lowering the attractiveness gage to an 8 😉

jade it’s lovely to see you back and doing so well 💙

i’m just in my way home from a lovely girls’ trip to scotland where i shopped, drank and ate way too much 🤣 it was touch and go whether i was going to be able to close my suitcase this morning! (thankfully i did but it is surely going to just explode at some point)
Oooh where did you go?! That sounds amazing 👏 and you've come home to the sun which makes it easier x

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.