Dating after lockdown #12 It’s all got a bit dark

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't even know where to start with all this.
I'm glad you have found a place where you can share this horrific experience and its definitely something you should revisit during your therapy sessions.
We are not sexual objects and we should never be treated like one.
I have had plenty of meaningless sex in the past which I enjoyed but it was my choice and I was a willing participant.
My attitude has now changed, if I want to wait until the 10th date before having sex, then I will and I don't want to be with someone that is not willing to wait!!
It’s fine. I don’t expect anyone to say anything earthshaking. It helped talking about it abd also realising that my worries are far more rooted in the experience and it isn’t dealt with at all. Once I started writing about it, I thought I’d put it all down.
It’s so frustrating that there is this expectation to shag so soon. And getting angry about not getting it? How bleeping dare they??

Reactions: 6
This is how I describe dating now:
mornings.jpg

I'm not here to share any dating advice, maybe a bit of empowering women. Let's not waste our beauty to men who doesn't want us. Instead invest on your personal growth. Not give up on dating but just cultivate communities and interests which makes you who you are at the end of the day.

And if dating fails - at least you still have your happiness intact.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I just called to let the guy I was starting to ghost know that I wasn’t in the right space to date and didn’t want to waste his time. It did not go well! But at least it’s done now. The vitriol I got from him (lots of swearing at me) makes me realise this is probably why men often ghost women.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
I just called to let the guy I was starting to ghost know that I wasn’t in the right space to date and didn’t want to waste his time. It did not go well! But at least it’s done now. The vitriol I got from him (lots of swearing at me) makes me realise this is probably why men often ghost women.
I agree with you. I think a lot of us are quick vilify some of guys we discuss. But all of us have been on both ends of the situation.
Every person we date has the right to end things when they want without being on the receiving end of any abuse.

Reactions: 6
That seems like a major over reaction and lucky escape. Who behaves like that 😏

Reactions: 9

I just sat and read 17 pages this evening

I’m surprised we had a return! 👻🪃 I too liked some of the advice (can’t lie it was sometimes brutal) given to me by @LaurieLaurie because she was right about 👨🏻‍🦲he wasn’t right for me. I’ve been left on blue ticks for a month now after I said he hurt my feelings so that’s nice. Although he watched my Snapchat story this weekend 🤣😅 School boy error on my part lol and I sound like a school girl.
But I can’t deal with meanness 😮💨☹

Anyway I am just parking myself here. Nothing to offer about dating but thank you to some of the posters who have shared their stories.

I’m not dating this month but payday is still a week away, so I wouldn’t mind a man asking me to go get dressed up to go out for dinner soon 🤣😅 I am a dinner sugar baby/ food who’re.
Yes I can take myself out but I love the texting excitement before meeting someone new and getting dolled up then picked up or meeting them inside and sitting at dinner having a conversation. I love the first date/ initial aspect of dating. Basically I’ve decided I need a platonic sugar daddy / friendship situation 🤣 and I’m poor 😬😂

@Bagpuss7 you home yet?! So glad you’re having a good time.

@BunnyLebowski have you been behaving? 🥰🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Wow. That’s a bit tit to be so unpleasant, especially as you were honest with him.
Do you think it was just hurt feelings it felt might actually have been a bit of an hole?
I think I’d probably try to act not bothered if I got that phone call. I’d prob be crying and chucking booze down my neck afterwards but I’d want to save face.

I’m not dating this month but payday is still a week away, so I wouldn’t mind a man asking me to go get dressed up to go out for dinner soon 🤣😅 I am a dinner sugar baby/ food who’re.
Yes I can take myself out but I love the texting excitement before meeting someone new and getting dolled up then picked up or meeting them inside and sitting at dinner having a conversation. I love the first date/ initial aspect of dating. Basically I’ve decided I need a platonic sugar daddy / friendship situation 🤣 and I’m poor 😬😂
No judgement- just curious.
Do you mention in advance how you will split the bill or just presume that the person who asks will pay?

I find paying really awkward so always offer and now I’d expect to always split the bill. Before I was married - 20 yrs ago, I would have presumed the man paid. But maybe as a hot 20-something I had more chance of that than an exhausted looking, chubby almost 50yr old. I’d love to be taken out abd spoilt rotten. The last man I was involved with was so, so tight. It’s such an off putting trait. I like being generous. He seemed to resent paying for women at all but strangely expected to be paid for often. 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Wow. That’s a bit tit to be so unpleasant, especially as you were honest with him.
Do you think it was just hurt feelings it felt might actually have been a bit of an hole?
I think I’d probably try to act not bothered if I got that phone call. I’d prob be crying and chucking booze down my neck afterwards but I’d want to save face.
I think his feelings/pride were a bit hurt and he just didn’t handle it well. From the chats we’d had it seemed he’s not had much luck with women and this probably just added to that. Still, even though I swear a bit I absolutely hate when men swear at me 🤣

Reactions: 2
Everyone can get back to chatting about normal stuff.
I’m worried I killed the thread. I didn’t mean to use it as therapy. I suppose I can delete the posts if they are bothering people but I don’t really want to unless I have to.

I think his feelings/pride were a bit hurt and he just didn’t handle it well. From the chats we’d had it seemed he’s not had much luck with women and this probably just added to that. Still, even though I swear a bit I absolutely hate when men swear at me 🤣
I swear a lot. But yeah hate men shouting and swearing at me. I’m with the other poster, I think it was a lucky escape myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Everyone can get back to chatting about normal stuff.
I’m worried I killed the thread. I didn’t mean to use it as therapy. I suppose I can delete the posts if they are bothering people but I don’t really want to unless I have to.

I swear a lot. But yeah hate men shouting and swearing at me. I’m with the other poster, I think it was a lucky escape myself.
Don't delete them, it's important to discuss your issues. Everything goes on this thread ❤

An update on my head, it feels much better today and the swelling is going down. My ex narc messaged again begging to see me and i deleted the messages. My brain is still intact 😅😅

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This is going to sound terrible.. I don’t mind splitting but generally men I’ve come across have paid for the first date (or others) it’s also a bit weird here. Men literally want to flash their cash and their cars.. and if they’ve asked usually they pay. I might not make it past the first date but 🤭 😂😅

I’m also a bit bored/ trying to escape from life / reality so someone asking to go out would be amazing. Change of surroundings scenery and a conversation with someone who’s life is completely different to mine would be fabulous. I’m not picky or fussy at all (which is also my downfall)

Don't delete them, it's important to discuss your issues. Everything goes on this thread ❤

An update on my head, it feels much better today and the swelling is going down. My ex narc messaged again begging to see me and i deleted the messages. My brain is still intact 😅😅
Well done for staying strong with the Narc.
Did you see minor injuries/A+E?

When I wanted to stop drinking, I went on the Reddit forum for giving up booze. I like that you could set a counter by your name. It got much easier after 5/10/14/21 days. I realised the day after each one of those milestones that it felt easier. I’m drinking again but about to stop. I stoppped for 10 months last year - realised lockdown wasn’t leading to good choices.
I find it easier cutting out rather than cutting down but I know lots of people can moderate well.

How are you feeling in general? You sounded really down the other day.

This is going to sound terrible.. I don’t mind splitting but generally men I’ve come across have paid for the first date (or others) it’s also a bit weird here. Men literally want to flash their cash and their cars.. and if they’ve asked usually they pay. I might not make it past the first date but 🤭 😂😅

I’m also a bit bored/ trying to escape from life / reality so someone asking to go out would be amazing. Change of surroundings scenery and a conversation with someone who’s life is completely different to mine would be fabulous. I’m not picky or fussy at all (which is also my downfall)
Doesn’t sound terrible. It sounds nice!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Well done for staying strong with the Narc.
Did you see minor injuries/A+E?

When I wanted to stop drinking, I went on the Reddit forum for giving up booze. I like that you could set a counter by your name. It got much easier after 5/10/14/21 days. I realised the day after each one of those milestones that it felt easier. I’m drinking again but about to stop. I stoppped for 10 months last year - realised lockdown wasn’t leading to good choices.
I find it easier cutting out rather than cutting down but I know lots of people can moderate well.

How are you feeling in general? You sounded really down the other day.
I'm feeling great now, thank you.
My friend is a nurse and she called today to have a look at it, she said it didn't look serious.
It has given me the opportunity to take a look at my drinking habits. I can go weeks without touching it but then I go on a major session of binge drinking and recently bad things are happening as a result.
I am really good at taking action once I have faced facts so I'm excited about seeing what life is like completely sober.

The narc is still very hot and the best sex ever, but I cannot go back.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Doesn’t sound terrible. It sounds nice!
In regards to your other post lol I honestly wouldn’t say I’m “hot” whatsoever. But I would consider myself some what funny (to myself I’m a joke lol) and a bit of a chatterbox 😅

I guess I just like a chat / first date when you don’t know each other and it’s exciting 🤣😅 before you realise you hate them or don’t fancy them or they don’t fancy you. The anticipation of whether it’ll be a block or ghost or end up being the one is also a bit exciting.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It's good you called him to let him know. If he swore it just validates your position tbh.

Not sure if people's reactions justifies ghosting though. If people are concerned someone might react badly they could say their piece and then block. Tbh could get abusive messages etc after ghosting someone. At least you know you were in the right by being direct and honest with them though.

TW:sexual assault
I’m so sorry. This is what I mean. I think I’d end up having sex in that situation (before his tantrum) because I’d feel awkward about not doing it.
My boundaries are definitely getting better but after I posted about this I was thinking about it and I realised that every time I have had sex with someone new, I’ve felt it was too early but it’s been because I’ve been too awkward or worried about the reaction asking to wait. It’s never been my suggestion, always something I’ve gone along with. It’s never been coerced and I’ve never communicated it, so it’s 💯 my fault, but I’ve been too intimidated (by my anxiety) to stick to my boundary.

I’m thinking now that I actually need to revisit this in therapy and it isn’t processed properly at all. I didn’t even realise it was rape for ages. I just said it was something that went too far. And if pushed I would called it an assault but felt guilty saying it was. Like I was being dramatic. It was when the whole #metoo thing came out that I started properly looking at it. He knew I didn’t want to have sex because when I said afterwards why did you do that you know I didn’t want to, he didn’t act suprised just said that he did (want to), so he did it. I’d been clear before and during and said I didn’t and was obviously not participating but I felt so guilty that I’d started fooling around with him in the first place and as though that meant it wasn’t really anything serious. Even though I knew, rationally it was. Emotionally I felt like it wasn’t and felt so ashamed and stupid. Just afterwards, I told him he hadn’t broken me. I got up and was trying to be full of bravado but didn’t feel it at all. He told me I was already broken in a thousand pieces, like a China doll smashed on a floor. Which sounds lame written like that but at the time it really upset me and made me think again it was my failing. He said I was a tit lay too and clumsy and awkward. That got to me as well which is so ridiculous. It’s like he knew all the stuff to say to me to duck me up more. I was in such shock I didn’t tell anyone and just denied it to myself and I stayed there a few more days and was just quiet and not doing anything. I think it was actual shock. Then he started locking the house afterward when he left it - told his housemates he was worried about security. The house had steel security doors back and front with deadlocks so I was stuck in there and I couldn’t get out. One of his housemates came home at lunchtime after about three days into this, unlocked the house and told me to leave and not come back. He said that he thought this man (man?…he was only about 22) was a really unpleasant and controlling person and he thought he was dangerous. So I left. Went to a youth hostel and was thoroughly fucked up and agitated and anxious. I left the area after a week. I was meant to be looking for work.

I had loads of one night stands in the couple of years after the rape. (Then two long relationships, the second of which was my ex husband. I didn’t tell him any of this. Don’t know why). The shagging about was a combination of trying to show myself I was ok with sex and also if I agreed to sex with anyone who was interested, in my mind I couldn’t be raped again. It was very skewed logic and it didn’t help me feel better at all but it made sense to me at the time 🤦🏼‍♀️ I didn’t enjoy any of them either. I was too worried about what they might do.

I definitely need to go back to therapy.
Maybe that’s why the universe hasn’t thrown anyone my way yet. I’m just not ready for them.

Sorry for such a serious post. It’s really helped to actually tell people about it in a safe anonymous place. I’ve never been able to talk about it like that.
I read your past post and I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope if you do revisit therapy for it then it helps you ♥

I just sat and read 17 pages this evening

I’m surprised we had a return! 👻🪃 I too liked some of the advice (can’t lie it was sometimes brutal) given to me by @LaurieLaurie because she was right about 👨🏻‍🦲he wasn’t right for me. I’ve been left on blue ticks for a month now after I said he hurt my feelings so that’s nice. Although he watched my Snapchat story this weekend 🤣😅 School boy error on my part lol and I sound like a school girl.
But I can’t deal with meanness 😮💨☹

Anyway I am just parking myself here. Nothing to offer about dating but thank you to some of the posters who have shared their stories.

@Bagpuss7 you home yet?! So glad you’re having a good time.

@BunnyLebowski have you been behaving? 🥰🤣
Hey baby, I’m good and have been so well behaved I’m positively boring. I even watched the BBC Blair Brown documentary alone tonight and loved it. Therapy is working.

re. Men paying. In my experience, they should always pay first if they are interested or expect sex….then go Dutch. Any man who’s made me split the bill on a first date has ghosted me. And if I’m not into the guy, I always split the bill then a very gentle let down.

I‘m enjoying my time away from dating and I’m see the benefits so I think I’ll give it until about December before I get back on the Apps. I do miss the sex/drama 😂💕💕💕

PS. Good to have you back mate x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Heh, my preference on a first date is for the guy to pay. However if I was on a date with a woman I would take it in turns...you tend to get past the first date more often with a woman 😂 also to preface the below - obviously there are situations when one person might earn significantly more than the other, or when someone might be in a difficult place financially. But assuming it's a standard date...

I don't really agree with 50/50 because it buys into this common theme in the dating scene (particularly on the apps) that women need to pay their way to avoid looking like a golddigger (even though a dinner costs, what, £20-£50 per person?), have sex as soon as possible, and generally try to prove to the guy that they're the best person in his rotation to win him over. Thing is, women are actually more in demand than men and they should be paying us for our time! I've found that the guy paying on a first date is a way of weeding out the arseholes who are only in it for a shag - because they're prepared to invest from the start. Not always! But a lot of the time. Most of us also invest money into our appearance, whether that's a new dress for the date or makeup, hair, nails, hair removal, the list goes on. Men, not so much. They'll throw on a shirt and shave. I think a man covering the cost of a date is polite considering it can be expensive for us to prepare for the date.

A man paying the bill shows a certain commitment to the dating process. Honestly, a man has no issue paying for the things he likes, whether that's a monthly gaming subscription or a OnlyFans sub or a flash car. It's a numbers game a lot of the time for guys - send out the same message to 20 women and see who bites. They're not going to pay for 20 dates so they'll try to do things as cheaply as possible. But they will pick up the bill for a date with a woman they're genuinely interested in. Beware of the guy who has a "taker" attitude because if he won't pay for the first date, I guarantee he will be stingy with money in the future.

I see the rationale behind women paying their way because of "equality" but its a red herring imo. I get that we want to show men that we're independent and financially stable. But we don't need to prove anything to them. Good men already know your value and worth. The ones who are going 50/50 on a date to save a few quid just aren't good prospects.

Reactions: 15
I don't mind paying my way but it's always nice when they offer.

On Saturday the guy I went on a date with was all "I like to treat the girl I'm with". And I think that's nice but also I felt kind of sorry for him and also like I was being bought. He mentioned it a couple of times that he likes paying all the time. I felt sorry for him that maybe women had just been with him for treats in the first place and that's not right. And also felt a bit like he maybe says it as a superficial way to try and impress? I dunno. I am split on that.

Reactions: 4
If I like them I'll let them pay (I always offer to split though) and if I know for sure this'll be our only date I insist on splitting it. Modern dating is an expensive business for both sides these days. I've had a few make ill-timed jokes when the bill comes like 'oh are you one of those women out for a free meal lol rofl lmao hehe...' and I realise I need better screening tools before agreeing to go out with them 🤣

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.