Dakota Warren

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's at least one person like her in each of my English Lit classes...like girl, calm down. Some of us are here to get a degree and an education, not talk about how "Oscar Wilde inspired me to get a tattoo!!" (oddly specific, I know).

• Haha
Reactions: 7
The whole religious trauma thing is definitely bc it’s trendy on the internet right now. Coming from a Catholic country and family it’s pretty easy to spot someone who’s into the aesthetic that’s connected to Catholicism but doesn’t like the actually being religious part vs. someone who grew up in the religion.

These people have divided themselves in two categories: weirdo trad larpers who are adult converts and internet famous girls who think liking red is a personality trait. It’s not rare for them to interpolate from time to time, soon enough they’ll be going for the Orthodox Church if they haven’t already lol.
---
Btw, I found this incredible review on her book that pretty much encapsulates (and adds to) the discussion here: https://baudrillardbaby.substack.com/p/algorithm-as-artwork-a-review-of?sd=pf

I found the made-for-profit aspect of it very interesting, at first I had the impression Dakota was simply too chronically online to separate her art from internet aesthetics but it makes a lot of sense that she would capitalize on this very aesthetic and sell her artistry out as a result.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
The whole religious trauma thing is definitely bc it’s trendy on the internet right now. Coming from a Catholic country and family it’s pretty easy to spot someone who’s into the aesthetic that’s connected to Catholicism but doesn’t like the actually being religious part vs. someone who grew up in the religion.

These people have divided themselves in two categories: weirdo trad larpers who are adult converts and internet famous girls who think liking red is a personality trait. It’s not rare for them to interpolate from time to time, soon enough they’ll be going for the Orthodox Church if they haven’t already lol.
---
Btw, I found this incredible review on her book that pretty much encapsulates (and adds to) the discussion here: https://baudrillardbaby.substack.com/p/algorithm-as-artwork-a-review-of?sd=pf

I found the made-for-profit aspect of it very interesting, at first I had the impression Dakota was simply too chronically online to separate her art from internet aesthetics but it makes a lot of sense that she would capitalize on this very aesthetic and sell her artistry out as a result.
'I had this uncanny feeling reading through this pastiche of fragmented Tumblr quotes on womanhood and horror, chewed up and spat back in a mimetic work' baudrillardbaby if you ever read this, you should absolutely join us because you GET IT.

Thanks for sharing the link!

I lowkey found it funny that when Ruby Granger was probably asked to read the poetry book (I'm pretty sure they're under the same management?) that she very diplomatically danced around saying the book was good. She said 'it feels weird to review' the poetry because it was 'raw', and said 'who is to say this is good, this is bad'. What a wonderful way to sidestep it being shite, while maintaining the connection there LOL.

1688679769812.png

Exceptional is an interesting choice of word. I think it's exceptional too - an exceptional display of how far mediocrity will go when it's packaged up in a digestible manner.

Dakota Warren - the 'ultra processed food' of poetry. It should barely be seen as what it's pretending to be, and yet, because it's been processed to produce the effect of the real deal, people (teens and those with undiscerning palettes) think they're being nourished.

It's funny how similar Dakota and Ruby are despite giving off completely different vibes. Both pretentious as hell, wearing their little dresses, writing pseudo-deep poetry, twirling around in random places, all aesthetic and no substance.

I'd put money on Ruby having at most flipped through the book.

Reactions: 6

---

As I said, I can´t say whether someones trauma is real or fake, but being from a catholic country, with a catholic background (family, schooling) as well as actually practicing catholicism her whole act struck me as odd. And that also might just be me, but if she really does all this just for the aesthetic then I find it borderline offensive tbh.

Also, thank you for the link, this review was an interesting read for sure and addresses some very good points!

Reactions: 2
Catholic schools are pretty common in Australia, lots of non-catholics attend them as they are heavily subsidised by the government. They are considered the "cheap" private school option, generally much more affordable than the fancy protestant private schools, but with a better standard than many public schools. It wouldn't surprise me if Dakota wasn't raised catholic at all, but was sent to a catholic school and is just exaggerating for the aesthetic.

Catholic schools are pretty common in Australia, lots of non-catholics attend them as they are heavily subsidised by the government. They are considered the "cheap" private school option, generally much more affordable than the fancy protestant private schools, but with a better standard than many public schools.
That´s interesting, I did not know that! In my country private schools are usually catholic, apart from the few private international schools.

It wouldn't surprise me if Dakota wasn't raised catholic at all, but was sent to a catholic school and is just exaggerating for the aesthetic.
I can very well see that being the case.

So many people tit on Ruby for every detail of her life, and of course I find her ridiculous, but no one provides me such an immersive experience of total cringe as Dakota. Even the shortest tiktok is a treasure trove of bizarre pretensions. All her actions, from the way she moves to the way she eats, are so excruciatingly performative that I can’t believe my eyes when I look at her comments to find them bare of all criticism.

In her YouTube videos, she can never say anything in a natural way. Everything comes out stilted because she’s trying sooo hard to seem like an intellectual. The best part is despite laboring over her words, her lack of a basic understanding of the English language makes it come out jumbled and inarticulate. She constantly uses words and phrases slightly wrong, or just plain wrong. And mispronounces things as often as she can.

I wish she posted more. The gulf between her ability as a writer and reader and the image she projects is enormous and makes for pure entertainment. If anyone has a recommendation of another creator who produces similar “pretentious cringe,” please let me know. It’s what I crave.

Reactions: 10
I sometimes wonder how she acts with/in front of her parents and siblings. I think I´d die from emberassement if my child/sibling would speak and act like that.

• Haha
1691134195480.png

1691134214652.png

saw this brought up briefly in the review mentioned previously, but Dakota's decision to put this in her obviously aesthetically curated video is genuinely really disgusting and exploitative

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
She also recently deleted a tiktok video in which she did a Brigitte Bardot makeup look after people pointed out in the comments she’s a notorious bigot and racist.
she also did a "lobotomy eyes" makeup tutorial and said people always tell her she looks like she's had one, interestingly it was around the time lobotomy core (I know) was a thing so she was deffo lying because who would ever tell someone that but the fact she did a makeup tutorial based on it is...yikes

If someone told me "you look like you've had a lobotomy", I wouldn't be sharing that with others of my own volition. Christ.

• Haha
If someone told me "you look like you've had a lobotomy", I wouldn't be sharing that with others of my own volition. Christ.
The thing is, I don't immediately think 'lobotomy' when I see her desperately eye-bleeping herself in the viewfinder/camera.

I think 'you poor desperately bland girl trying to seem sultry in a manic pixie dream girl kind of way, one day you'll grow out of this and feel deeply embarrassed'. But, hey, that's just me.

• Haha
I´m curious about the new video she´s been announcing about her becoming a full time writer. Has she published anything apart from her poetry collection? I wonder if she´ll mention her influencer status as a contributing factor, since - let´s be honest - without that she would have never become as successful

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I´m curious about the new video she´s been announcing about her becoming a full time writer. Has she published anything apart from her poetry collection? I wonder if she´ll mention her influencer status as a contributing factor, since - let´s be honest - without that she would have never become as successful
I’m only 6 minutes into the video and she’s already talking about how “edgy” she was as a child because she collected bugs, wrote a poem called blood on a wine glass and a short story about a father dying and killing other people on Christmas Eve because he was drunk driving. In her own words: “what 8 year old thinks of that?”. Any girl who has ever played with Barbie’s has come up with more messed up story lines lol.

Not gonna continue it now bc it’s probably gonna be all about the imaginary world in which she’s a gifted and respected poet and I find it hard to believe she’ll acknowledge people don’t really follow her for being a writer but for her clothes and aesthetic.
---
Though I must add: it is very nice to learn she’s worked at a supermarket for 7 years (from the age of 15) in order to save some money to be able to move to Melbourne and write, it’s refreshing to see at least one influencer who’s done an honest day’s work in their lives.

These are the things that are valuable if you hope to be an artist who wants to connect with your audience, more honesty and less “I eat god” bs.

Last edited: