Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Snippysnips

VIP Member
Thank you, it was ophelia talks I think the channel was called, I've done so many now I can do them from memory but I do remember it was quite well explained an very clear to watch in the video

Reactions: 1

Slaybutter

VIP Member
I made one of these last night and it’s bringing me so much peace. I used lavender hand sanitizing cream, shimmering gold mica powder, and purple and pink crystal sprinkles. I ended up needing to double bag it. contemplating what to put in the next one already 😇

TheStrawberryThief

I don't, but maybe look at the glue people use for making miniatures, as that would need to have a small nozzle and not be drippy ( although some glues are only for certain materials such as plastic so would have to check it was suitable for what you are making)

orangelolly

Chatty Member
same here! Some months I’m successful and others not so much. I’ve got a little Instagram page and once I’ve made more designs I’m going to try and set a website up but I’m not very tech savvy lol.
I've found, there's so many on there, it's hard to pinpoint mine without using really specific search words. Otherwise it ends up 8 pages deep!

Moongirl69

VIP Member
I keep seeing the jordan knitted blanket, thinking of giving it a try when I finish the crochet one Im working on.
@emmer_moans definitely frog if you're not enjoying it!

Snippysnips

VIP Member
How do people keep themselves going with crafts? I got Disney crochet in the hopes it would inspire me to really get into it, am 90 magazines in an so far have done one square for my blanket 😖😅 I don't know why I can't just seem to get into it when I actually really want too

I also am finding it difficult to be comfortable with my hands if I crochet, I get cramps soon into it, am sorta of just holding the yarn with it going up an over my index finger, is there a better way?

Gossip101xoxo

Thank you so much for the reccomendations! I will definitely look at Lauren Aston - someone I follow knitted one of her cardigans and it was lovey but she is a much better knitter than me so it’s good to know beginners can use her kits too!

Snippysnips

VIP Member
Hoping this is the right place to post this

Does anyone work with pencils alot an can recommend a good sharpener, I have rather expensive pencils that took a good few months to save for, right now I have the faber castell sharpener which at first was amazing but now am finding my pencils breaking more an more which never happened at first, am worried the sharpener is more at fault since the type of pencil I have isn't known for having broken lead, an honestly it's expensive replacing them when I need to an having them break means they are getting sharpened more than they should

Very traditional

VIP Member
I made one of these with my 1st baby over 45 years ago. everyone loved it.

I've seen they have made a comeback so you might like to try making one. There is a video at the bottom of the page on how make them

I also made a lovely pompom rugs for my granddaughters' bedrooms .. just made a load of pom poms and sewed them onto doubled up Hession . I made the pom poms while watching a film.

Also I made rag rugs
I know you were asking specifically for baby things but I'm thinking for their room as well.
Thank you so much, these are fab! I love making home decor things and have got some ideas for nursery crafts but didn’t think of things like this. I used to love making pom poms when I was little so definitely going to have a go at these!

• Heart

Offtobuttonmoon

VIP Member
It has a teal background with pink and red flamingos, toucans and cacti! I bought it from my local shop. Sent an email and they replied with photos of their sweatshirt fabric, then delivered it to my house 💕.
It’s the second time they have had to close, so I buy as much as I can from them.

Tilly and the buttons have an online workshop to teach how to use a sewing machine.
Thanks so much for the info, I'll definitely check them out! 😊

Littleelf

VIP Member
Ooooh I'd love to try knitting some socks! Do you have any recommendations on where to start? I can knit okay but haven't done much garment knitting.
I followed a youtube tutorial from Simply in stitches for the vanilla sock pattern which I found easy to follow and very thorough. I use small 25in circular sock needles, hate DPN's so fiddly and not a great fan of magic loop either.

For a even more simple pattern Kate Selene has a free pattern on her website - i can't remember exactly what the name of them are but they are basically a sock with no heel. I made a few of those and they are so easy as the heel is the worst bit in a sock.

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
A cafe I was in was using condiment containers as vases so I copied and stuck some fir tree branch in them. The pebble I took from the beach, it looks like a whale 🐳
IMG_20230222_201124.jpg

Snippysnips

VIP Member
I think it might be water soluble stabiliser. I know there’s one called stick and stitch where you can print/draw your design onto the paper and then it just dissolves in water afterwards.
Thank you so much, I'll have a look for those, I see it on Instagram all the time but they never mention what they are using

Maisie842

VIP Member
Need advice on prices, planning to sell

4 large Mickey's with 4 large Minnie's
The 3 flower set
The 6 flower set
The mini Mickey an Minnie set which is the two faces, little hands, letters, shorts an the names

They are rose scented wax melts an am honestly lost on what pricing should be, what would be a price you want to buy at?
I pay £4.99 for a set of 6 wax melts from my favourite company. They look around the same size as your bigger Minnie and Mickey melts, and I find that I have to use two at a time, but I can relight them 4 times before the scent dissipates enough that I have to change them out. Usually only have them on for a couple of hours at a time, so I think if overall your melt wax (x2) last around 8 hours overall, then that would be a fair price.

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend a good place to get bespoke printed stickers? I've used vistaprint many years ago but found them expensive and a bit misleading.

Also, does anyone sell their crafts in any small outlets?

Some People!

Chatty Member
I had a go at making a macrame plant hanger. Tried wikihow but couldn't get the hang(er) of it 🤭
So as usual, went off piste and tried to come up with something that I was happy with. Photo is second attempt.
Highly enjoyable. Just can't understand tutorials I'm just going to use visuals to help out when I try some other bits.
It's all about creativity after all! (y):D
It absolutely is all about creativity, and I love what you've come up with! Your spider plant looks very happy too 🖤 she's having a baby!

Do stick with it, you can definitely get the hang of it - it looks like you've used yarn? You might find it easier with a string of some sort - jute works, ordinary old post office white cotton is perfect, the green stuff for the garden - something which doesn't compact down too 'small' when you knot it.

Vanelope

VIP Member
It's often really hard to recognise where the problem is. Almost everyone has to make some fit adjustments, which is normal. But bad drafting is another thing altogether.

Then you see all the gushing reviews online and naturally you blame yourself for getting it wrong...

@PortiaControl socks are easy to knit but quite tedious - second sock syndrome is very real! The back issues of Knitty have loads of great free sock patterns. I'd recommend top-down patterns at first, toe-up can be a bit harder. I like to use the magic loop method with a long circular needle because I find DPNs annoying. I have a drawer full of handknit socks and I only wear them about four months a year because of the climate here...

Anyway, a few recent finished garments. The hippie pants are McCall's 7786 in viscose, and I like them a lot more than I thought I would! Worn with Simplicity 1916 top. The knitted dress is a DROPS pattern in DROPS Paris yarn. The teal knitted top is Rosarian from an old issue of Knitty, with a skirt that I made a few years ago and is still a favourite. What can I say, I've had some free time lately!
Wow that’s great stuff. I had heard you could magic loop two socks at a time on a really long needle to save sock fatigue but I haven’t tried it in case I get tangled.

ElectricDreams

VIP Member
Hi. I'm new/ late to the thread and it's very interesting reading about what others are into. I'm a papercrafter and found it thoroughly therapeutic during lockdown- probably saved my sanity. My main thing has been card making and stuff but am wanting to move on into more complex projects, time allowing. Am so envious of those of you who can sew (properly), knit and crochet. I bought a sewing machine years ago but gave it away to someone who needed it as it was gathering dust.

Another thing I've been up to in recent years is doing some creative stuff for mum's care home. We have a couple of 'seasonal' bare (artificial) trees, which I do up according to seasons and upcoming events, amongst other things.

With the card making, I've kind of moved away from the more formulaic stuff/ die cutting and am trying to come up with more original stuff, which is hard as there's so much out there. I think card making projects for men are so lagging behind other themes, so that's what I want to do more with, especially humorous cards. Humour is so much more difficult to gauge, when coming up with ideas.

Love vintage and steampunk styles. Am also quite into nautical themes. I am not so good at using bright colours but love working with earthtones as well as blue/ green shades. At the moment, I'm on a roll with Autumnal themes and colours, which I absolutely love and have also developed something of an obsession with gonks. My technique is a bit cluttery/ busy but it sometimes 'works'. I have friends who are much more 'minimalistic' in their styles, which look fantastic but my technique probably reflects my personality, as it will with everyone, in some way.

Speaking of clutter, I have acquired so much stuff over the years, it's beyond ridiculous but I love looking at all the materials, lol! I live in a small flat and have limited capacity so it's amazing what I've managed to squash into it! Sometimes, just 'enjoying the stash' is pleasure in itself but a nightmare when trying to find stuff, even though it's all boxed and labelled. I have stacks almost to the ceiling! Oh, for more space- to work in, let alone store things. I always seem to end up on the living room floor and cursing myself because I am always fighting to keep dog hairs off my 'creations'. (daft as I am, I wouldn't incorporate them willingly into any 'art'!)

Might put some examples on when I have a bit more confidence and time. x
Aww please do, I'd love to see your creations! I used to make cards but haven't done so for years. I used to have a quite minimalist style but always admired people who made more complex things 😊