Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Snippysnips

VIP Member
You will get there! How lovely for your niece to have something you’ve handmade for her ❤. Honestly, the amigurumi really does cramp your hands as it’s all sc with a smaller hook. I’m going back to blankets haha
Thank you, the idea was to keep up with the magazines as they come out so I could give it to her on her 4th bday, I might need to go like crazy to get it done for then now 😅

It all looks so cute as well the amigurumi, I might wait till I've gotten better with normal crochet first an see, I could see my patience running out quickly with such a small project

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I'm considering getting a sewing machine so I can try and make my LO some clothes. I've used sewing machines before and am confident with a bit of trial and error I could make something passable but I was wondering if anyone who sews clothes can tell me where you find fabric that isn't really light cotton?

penny1992

Chatty Member
Hi! Does anyone make textured canvas art? I am wondering what tools you use to spread the mud for texture. Do you use palette knifes?

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
I followed the lovable hoops channel, managed to make the owl hat they done an I was just starting, also used the Bella Coco channel am sure it's called for learning beginner things
I will admit the Bella Coco one was good for the chain but this was the one I WAS following for the actual stitch and though I follow her slowly and carefully it looks kinda like a knot to me and IDK if I am doing it right cos not sure what it's meant to look like

Offtobuttonmoon

VIP Member

Snippysnips

VIP Member
Does anyone do candle making? I've recently got myself into it an quite enjoying it, I got a starter kit but I'll need to get more wax

Is there any good brands out there? the kit just come with a few little blocks that I've mostly used now, I've looked online but it seems to be wax shavings, also looked at the reviews an the majority complain they burn too fast

I'd like to get non scent as I've got some little bottles myself for that, I have no idea where to start with looking for a good wax brand 😅

Snippysnips

VIP Member
Does anyone do booknooks? I've recently gotten into them an wondering if anyone does them what type of glue you all use, am using a type of runny glue but it's quite stringy with quite a large nozzle an most things I need to build are tiny

HoGi

VIP Member
I love a bit of embroidery! I can knit a bit but the patterns scare me 🤣 It's like another language.
I love cross stitch and am trying to make the transition to embroidery. If you have any tips or good accounts to follow it would be greatly appreciated 😊

Heidi88

VIP Member
I do a bit of crochet, I have a big blanket on the go that's not progressing as I have developed RSI but I'm doing bits of it once in a while. Due to the RSI I have just taken up embroidery and I think I've fallen in love with it, obviously, still a complete beginner. I can knit but only very basic and can't follow a pattern for the life of me.
I also crochet and recently bought an embroidery kit om etsy. It's for beginners but i am slightly intimidated by it.

Snippysnips

VIP Member
---
I’ll always stick something on to watch like a documentary and before I know it I’ve crocheted loads. What kind of hook do you crochet with? I find the clover type hooks more comfortable than the plain metal ones. I did buy a ‘granny’ armchair with arms that I find helps by resting my elbows so it’s more wrist movement that I’m doing.
It's just like a metal one with a rubber handle on it, I've tried putting music on in the background to see if it will help, it just feels off putting at times because I am focused on the end product an right now that's 90 squares (which is my own fault) rathering than just focusing on the moment

Heidi88

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend a good circular needle set? I took up knitting in the last few months and am thinking of making a purchase. I am leaning towards Knitpro Zings. I have mainly plastic and wooden straight needles and the wooden ones have worn done a lot over the last couple of months so I want to stay away from wood/bamboo.

DanaScully

Chatty Member
A relative bought me a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm busy pinning projects on Pinterest to have a go at! 🧵

Can anyone recommend any channels or resources for complete beginners on using a sewing machine, or any very basic tutorials? I find it much easier to follow a video than pictures or text.

Thanks! 😊

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I revived the Arts and Crafts thread with this so please accept my apologies if you've read this already (also posted to the Christmas thread).

Our local library is holding a Christmas craft market in early December. I've recently started playing around with air dry clay and made myself some ornaments to imprint my LOs hand onto as I didn't want to pay £30 for a PIYP place to do it XD. They look really smart and I'm very pleased with them. It takes me about 20 minutes to do maybe 5 or 6. I was thinking I could perhaps take a stall and sell them. I'd sell shaped ones (Christmas trees, snowmen, normal 'baubles' both in white and with paint on), imprinted ones (just the bauble shapes) and plain white baubles with instructions on how to do the hand or footprints. Was thinking about £3 for the fancier ones and £2.50 for the plain ones. I've also made some ring holders and could easily make some little trinket trays too. Would probably sell those for a similar price.

Bearing in mind I'm committed to a panto (rehearsals twice a week) and have an 8 month old baby... is that a dumb idea? I reckon I could do it, dedicating one or two evenings a week to making stock. The longest part of it all is letting it dry.

The stall is £10 and then I'd need public liability insurance, the clay I use is about £4 for a kilo and I can get maybe 20 ornaments out of it. Other supplies would be ribbon (maybe £2 a roll in hobbycraft), paint (I've got most of it already but perhaps £3 a tube), varnish (more expensive - £10 a can for the one I like) and branding supplies (I've got a shop design from many failed Etsy attempts, but nothing printed - though I do own a Cricut). I suppose tissue paper to wrap things in would be useful too.