Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I’ve made the Billie sweatshirt dress twice now! I love the pattern so much it comes together so quickly!

I’ve made the Indigo dress a couple of times already too but I spent hours earlier cutting out this absolutely beautiful but horrendous to cut challis lawn for a new one! Glad that’s done now. Looking forward to sewing it up 😊
How did you find sewing on the neckband? I couldn’t get the first one to fit, despite lots of stretching. Cut another one 1cm longer, that fitted much easier. I want to make the dress version next.

Reactions: 1

Very traditional

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend a good place to get bespoke printed stickers? I've used vistaprint many years ago but found them expensive and a bit misleading.

Also, does anyone sell their crafts in any small outlets?
Ive bought stickers on eBay quite often and they’re usually quite good prices. If you do use Vistaprint, have a Google for discount codes or add the Honey app which searches for discounts for you as Vistaprint always have offers, I used to use them a lot for my job.

Very traditional

VIP Member
Yes please do, I fancy it too, I see all these beautiful resin things and think about making them but then I think when will I have time between work, my cake business, my cricut hobby and general life 🤷‍♀️

Same here! I'm usually a paper crafter (cards, scrapbooking etc) but also like painting, needle felting and fimo. I really want to give this a whirl! I've bought the resin, just got to get the molds now. Will keep you posted!

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
I noticed it was kicking off in the comments when Tilly and the Buttons released her latest pattern, is it Lyra? Apparently another indie pattern house has had one for ages called that and now all the #sewingLyra will be TATB.

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
Just started trying to learn crochet.. does anyone know any good YT channels for beginners? The ones I have found are too fast or hard to follow. I follow along but my single/double crochet just turns into a big knot.. I have got the chains down though. Have a few several feet long but I want to move on..
I would definitely second Attic 24. Although there are photos rather than videos the instructions are really clear - especially showing you exactly where to put your hook and when I was learning I found they made much more sense than videos.

Vanelope

VIP Member
I stay out the drama on Ravelry and look for the yarn subs. I have so many knitting books to get through, I used to have a problem.

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
How do people keep themselves going with crafts? I got Disney crochet in the hopes it would inspire me to really get into it, am 90 magazines in an so far have done one square for my blanket 😖😅 I don't know why I can't just seem to get into it when I actually really want too

I also am finding it difficult to be comfortable with my hands if I crochet, I get cramps soon into it, am sorta of just holding the yarn with it going up an over my index finger, is there a better way?
i dont get on with holding the yarn full stop. all the winding around your fingers on your other hand etc . i find it cumbersome and not much use, rarely stays in place and its too distracting to keep putting it back on my left hand. i hope this doesnt cause many problems

Powershower

Chatty Member
I’m addicted to sewing and knitting. I’ve been knitting for a year now but I’m very new to sewing. Below are a few of my knitting projects. I’ve just finished sewing a gorgeous top over the weekend using Merchant and Mills gingham. (Will post a picture when I have one, I’m so proud of it! 😂) The gingham trousers in the photo below are also Merchant and Mills.
View attachment 370876
I love that cardigan, what’s the pattern?

Islawight

Chatty Member
Just keep at it. There’s no rush. Unless you’re like me and promise a baby blanket etc and I run out of time and crochet like mad for days. I find crocheting relaxing as long as I get into a rhythm. I’ve recently got into amigurumi and have to count the rows, I forget where I’m at and then want to give up. So frustrating. Your Disney blanket sounds interesting and I’m sure with patience you’ll end up with something beautiful.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I used to craft a lot - made all my own Christmas and birthday cards, loved in particular scrapbooking and collage style things. Now I just don’t have time (and I say that as a 30 something married woman who’s only just expecting her first kid!). My mum got us into paper craft one year when I was a kid as my dad was away a lot and we made things to send him so I always have fond memories of it but now I feel like my skill level is very low and I need more “stuff” to make something that’s worth sending out!

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
It absolutely is all about creativity, and I love what you've come up with! Your spider plant looks very happy too 🖤 she's having a baby!

Do stick with it, you can definitely get the hang of it - it looks like you've used yarn? You might find it easier with a string of some sort - jute works, ordinary old post office white cotton is perfect, the green stuff for the garden - something which doesn't compact down too 'small' when you knot it.
Thanks yes I'll try other materials too (y)
Just removed about 10 spiderettes into their own pot but she's not finished yet lol

It absolutely is all about creativity, and I love what you've come up with! Your spider plant looks very happy too 🖤 she's having a baby!

Do stick with it, you can definitely get the hang of it - it looks like you've used yarn? You might find it easier with a string of some sort - jute works, ordinary old post office white cotton is perfect, the green stuff for the garden - something which doesn't compact down too 'small' when you knot it.
Thanks yes I'll try other materials too (y)
Just removed about 10 spiderettes into their own pot but she's not finished yet
You cnat beat a bit of macrame, loads of good tutorials on YouTube, I attempted this after practicing on a couple of hangers.
Wowz that's beautiful 👌

• Heart

Woolmercardington

VIP Member
Why not start off with making cards? If you have all the stuff and have done it before it might get your creativity flowing again with no outlay? Cards will sell online or maybe sell to your colleagues if your work would allow it?
Yeah, I'm not sure I was really into it and I used to get myself stressed out as I think I tended to make them too over-elaborate. I remember card-making went through a bit of a fad years ago. I wouldn't have thought there was much of a market these days, however? I used to be on a card-making forum and posters were selling really gorgeous cards in bulk for pennies.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
This is my progress so far at the ' As we go stripey'. I had a bit of a fail with the 'Catherine Wheel' section. I just couldn't get it right. It looked right but I somehow ended up with to many stitches, so when I went back to a more simple stitch on row below I could not get the numbers right again.

Anyway, after 3 days/5 hours of trying to get that bit right I gave up and removed it and did some rows on pretty colours instead. Then I got to the star stitch row and I didnt like how they looked, so I replaced them with Suzette stitche.

So the blanket isn't really following the pattern anymore, but I thought I will try and stick to it where I can, and stick to the principle of changing colour and stitch type each row
Looking good. I need to try some different crochet stitches as I stick to the basics but now I'm bored. Maybe doing a blanket like this where you change stitch each row is a good idea, to try new stitches.
---
Guess who merrily stitched half a fairly large cross stitch pattern before noticing they had the fabric in the wrong orientation?

I found a website tutorial about joining pieces of aida together, but I experimented with scraps and it looked atrocious.
I started unpicking it (hence all the bits) but can't be arsed.
I've bought new aida (hence it being all creased where I shoved it in my bag so I could colour match).

Can't believe I did this! Think it's because I'm having to use a large rectangular frame and it's more comfortable to hold it a certain way, but didn't take this into account before starting.

I'm doing this pattern for a neighbour, it's not even one I particularly like. Otherwise I'd abandon it lol.
oh no, how long did it take to do that bit so far? Your stitching is really neat.

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
Wow, these are stunning! You're very talented. ☺

I recently used up almost all my mismatched yarns (was given quite a lot when someone I know died, plus a few random balls I'd bought but didn't love) making a big crocheted basket to keep my knitting and crochet stuff in! It was very fun to do, using 4 or 5 yarns together to make a thick, stiff fabric so that the basket stands up on its own.

I personally get much more of a thrill out of using up what I have rather than buying and hoarding materials. I'm now working on some socks using bamboo yarn, and won't buy any more for another project until I've finished these socks.
Oh me too. Im currently slogging my way through all my scraps - although the pile doesn’t seem to be getting any smaller!
Plus, using it all up is a perfect excuse to buy more.

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
She does separate videos for left handed people, very useful.
Noticed that . very thoughtful
---
I would definitely second Attic 24. Although there are photos rather than videos the instructions are really clear - especially showing you exactly where to put your hook and when I was learning I found they made much more sense than videos.
I checked it out but the font is very small and its not very searchable/user friendly. most of the stuff on there appears to be about her personal life (no offence but not what I'm looking for) and I cannot find any tagged or bookmarked things for beginners

Last edited:

HoGi

VIP Member
Probably! I try and keep to myself. I just watch from the sidelines, taking it all in.

There are so many good kits out there now with lots of beginner friendly guides. Some Instagram accounts I follow:

I got my MIL a kit from this one which she found really good and she's familiar with cross stitch but a beginner embroider. https://instagram.com/sew.in.uk?igshid=58sjbuoqczzc

I hope those links worked 😬
Thank you so much

• Heart

Offtobuttonmoon

VIP Member
Ever since i seen the resin things like coasters trays and pyramids i seriously am thinking about getting the stuff and seeing if I can make my own but don't have a clue where to start but that is the route id like to go down i do have a drip art paint kit i got from the works so going to have a try that too
Same here! I'm usually a paper crafter (cards, scrapbooking etc) but also like painting, needle felting and fimo. I really want to give this a whirl! I've bought the resin, just got to get the molds now. Will keep you posted!