Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Luce0331

VIP Member
Hi guys, I just started crocheting today so please try not to judge too much aha, I'm having trouble with curling and apparently it’s because the stitches are too tight? But does anyone have any advice as I’ve tried again and tried to make it looser and used a larger hook but it’s still happening

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 2

iLoveMeSomeCanoles

Chatty Member
I mostly do cross stitch. I usually make birthday cards for people and have done some larger pieces as presents. Current WIP is a massive map of the British Isles with different landmarks on. Will have to put aside in order to make one or two Christmas presents but haven't decided what they will be yet. I'd love to get into designing - I'm seriously going to look into getting some software when/if I get a new computer. I've sketched out basic stuff on graph paper before but would love to be able to convert a photo into a pattern.

I've made hundreds of hexagons with fabric scraps/random fabric that was given to me - just need to actually turn them into a quilt or something!!!

I would like to make most of my own clothes and have certainly got enough of a fabric stash to make a whole new wardrobe but there are two obstacles I'm having a job getting over, 1) I feel I need an overlocker to make the finish as good as I want it to be and 2) it'll be easier when I've lost weight - easier to fit and I won't need to use as much fabric. So far I've only made one pair of pajamas, some scrunchies and a load of masks last year which are languishing in a cupboard. I need to unpick most of them and turn them into something else. And find a way of repurposing the hundreds of metal nose strips I have left.

I like beading esp. Christmas decorations and have a selection of kits to work through to make Angels, icicles, stars etc.

Things I'd like to try are jewellery making (wire wrapped stones specifically), art journalling, painting (probably abstract or acrylic pouring). Also other forms of embroidery like goldwork, stump work etc. I might be about to acquire a dolls house too so will try doing that up.

I love watching resin art being made but am a bit scared of it to have a go myself!

Heidi88

VIP Member
These are beautiful ❤❤

Pic!!! That sounds amazing

View attachment 2787384

I went to Aldi this morning and I know what I said….but these will be used.
I also went against what I said here and boight 4 balls of the rusty coloured aran yarn you have next to the two yellow ones.

I just loved the colour. I have never used Aldi yarn before and I am impressed so far.

orangelolly

Chatty Member
Today I tried to teach myself to crochet using YouTube tutorials. I can do the single chain fine but anything after that was beyond me.

Eurgh

VIP Member
Ooooh what fabric are you using? I’ve barely used my sewing machine throughout lockdown. Two small kids and half the house is an office!

Heidi88

VIP Member
I crochet but recently learned to knit but I am sucha slow knitter. I am hoping to start an embroidery class in the New Year.

Islawight

Chatty Member
Thanks, I honestly hope to get there one day, I'd love to give my neice one an have one myself, there's 100 squares in total an the magazine is weekly so not long till it's finished coming out, I'd love to try amigurumi but I worry I'd get frustrated with how small it is
You will get there! How lovely for your niece to have something you’ve handmade for her ❤. Honestly, the amigurumi really does cramp your hands as it’s all sc with a smaller hook. I’m going back to blankets haha

• Heart

iLoveMeSomeCanoles

Chatty Member
Wish there was a knitting class in my area :confused:
I did once learn how to do basic knitting (scarf) :LOL:but now forget cast on and off.
God, I was addicted, couldn't put it down lol but i crave it so bad but I don't think I could learn from online.
If it's any help, some of the knitting/crochet magazines have a how-to guide at the back of every issue. They show how to cast on/off, increase/decrease etc. With pictures. I've got one torn out that I refer to when needed.

pixxyy

VIP Member
That's really cute, I got myself cross stitch kits but I've never done it before so didn't realise that unlike embroidery the pictures aren't on the material 😅
Oh sometimes the pictures already on the material printed/stamped cross stitch they call it. I do counted cross stitch so start with blank material & see the picture appear as I go :D

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
I have decided to start on an 'ugly scrap' blanket. I have lots of smaller lengths of yarn that are to small to do anything with, and several half balls of yarn left from various things. I don't enjoy making small toys so I thought this would be best use for leftovers.

I have started by sorting out all my scraps, untangling them and joining the smaller ones to make a scrap ball. I have also unravelled some test swatches and failed projects.
Id love to see how it turns out - all those ends to sew in though! It must be something to do with the New Year because I’ve decided to do something with my bin bag (😳) of scraps. I’m going to make squares and try and do some kind of colour wash blanket. I think it might look nicer in my head than it will in reality.

@Moongirl69 - do you have a pic of the CTM blanket?

Reactions: 1

TheStrawberryThief

I bought a couple of random balls last time in the Aldi yarn event and I didn't realise how nice it was but didn't really get enough to make anything with it so I kind of understand the need to buy a lot of it if you see it. Its a shame they don't just sell it all the time or at least have it on special offer more than once every six months.
I think that in some countries they do have it in most of the time. That would make things better, but I don't think our stores have the space.

The bragging about how much people can buy is what gets to me. It makes people feel bad because they can't compete and it encourages others to buy buy buy to keep up with them.

I have been hanging around the Popsy thread and I think that is rubbing off on me

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
How did you find sewing on the neckband? I couldn’t get the first one to fit, despite lots of stretching. Cut another one 1cm longer, that fitted much easier. I want to make the dress version next.
I didn’t have any problems with the neckband, maybe it was just the fabric you used? I used proper cuffing for my first one then I just made one in a soft sweatshirt fabric. I love them they’re so comfy 😊 I’ve made a few Romy tops and a dress, would recommend that Tilly stretch pattern it comes together a dream.

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
I love cross stitch and am trying to make the transition to embroidery. If you have any tips or good accounts to follow it would be greatly appreciated 😊
I started by buying a kit from Aldi! I don't really follow any accounts that do embroidery but if I need to see how a stitch is done I search the stitch on YouTube and watch a few tutorials. Also, Archie and the rug on Instagram has a few embroidery tutorials that I have watched and her instructions are quite clear

Snippysnips

VIP Member
Oh sometimes the pictures already on the material printed/stamped cross stitch they call it. I do counted cross stitch so start with blank material & see the picture appear as I go :D
Thanks, next time am looking for kits I'll try an find ones called that, maybe help me start learning before going straight to the non printed ones

SpiceWeasel

VIP Member
Just overcome a mental block and re-threaded the needles on my overlocker.
Now starting to make a Billie sweatshirt (Tilly and the buttons pattern). First ever sweatshirt.
I’ve made the Billie sweatshirt dress twice now! I love the pattern so much it comes together so quickly!

I’ve made the Indigo dress a couple of times already too but I spent hours earlier cutting out this absolutely beautiful but horrendous to cut challis lawn for a new one! Glad that’s done now. Looking forward to sewing it up 😊

ElectricDreams

VIP Member
I love my cricut machine. I often make stencils for glass etching (the quickest easiest crafty present I can think of), I’ve made so many lovely personalised framed pictures using design space, I’ve personalised cushions, bags, coasters, Christmas decorations and so on, I’ve made hundreds of cake toppers and that’s before you even get to general cutting vinyl to personalise stuff. It’s definitely a great tool for a crafter
I think the versatility of the machine is what appeals to me as I get bored churning out the same type of things all the time. I'd love to be able to make personalised gifts and possibly even sell a few bits as well.

Barbie2020

VIP Member
How do you find etsy? I've sold some kits on there but business is very slow.
same here! Some months I’m successful and others not so much. I’ve got a little Instagram page and once I’ve made more designs I’m going to try and set a website up but I’m not very tech savvy lol.