Crafting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread for sewing, knitting, crochet, embroidery, beading, whittling, whatever you want to share!

Has anyone made anything recently? Projects planned for the new year? I've done very little for the last few months...no motivation to sew as I spent most of 2020 in sweatpants. Gonna try to change that now!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I've done very little craft-wise this past year, despite all good intentions. I had to give up knitting and crochet because I'm an awkward knitter and ende up with RSI.
I've done a bit of pyrography though, to personalise an Xmas gift for someone.

Josie George on twitter has finished the 2020 weather scarf. It's a thing of beauty!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Hello all! I cross stitch and knit ( to a fashion) bit have decided I might quite like to get into sewing and have bought myself a Tilly and the buttons book so fingers crossed it all makes sense and I haven’t just spent £100 on a sewing machine for no reason! So if anyone has any recommendations for getting started please let me know. I’m looking forward to seeing what you all create this year

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I've done very little craft-wise this past year, despite all good intentions. I had to give up knitting and crochet because I'm an awkward knitter and ende up with RSI.
I've done a bit of pyrography though, to personalise an Xmas gift for someone.

Josie George on twitter has finished the 2020 weather scarf. It's a thing of beauty!
That's awesome!! I have a 2020 temperature blanket that I need to finish, but local restrictions mean I haven't been able to get the yarn I need (want to go in person to the shop rather than ordering online).

This year my goal is to get as much done as I can from stash (sewing/knitting/beading). I have a lot of UFOs floating around the place too, I'm terrible for starting things and then abandoning them...

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I started a sewing class last year but it got cancelled after 3 classes (Covid) so I'm hoping to get back in to that for 2021. I'm quite crafty in general and often make or customise bits and pieces, I'm hoping to purchase a Cricut machine this year too, I'm a very keen baker and initially was looking at something to make cake toppers but it seems there's so much I could do with it! If anyone has any experience of one I'd love some insight.

Reactions: 7
I'm usually a knitter but I've just started learning to crochet. All I've made so far is a slightly too-small hat which my cat has stolen to sleep on. I'm finding it quite hard to get to grips with.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Hello all! I cross stitch and knit ( to a fashion) bit have decided I might quite like to get into sewing and have bought myself a Tilly and the buttons book so fingers crossed it all makes sense and I haven’t just spent £100 on a sewing machine for no reason! So if anyone has any recommendations for getting started please let me know. I’m looking forward to seeing what you all create this year

You're in safe hands with Tilly. She's great for beginners 😊 You will be fine just take your time and enjoy the process!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I do a wide variety of crafts (glass, pottery, sewing, knitting, silversmithing) bit of a Jack of all trades master of none 😂

I really want to get in to crochet but I’m just struggling to really get much further than granny squares.

Im trying to compile a list of 2021 craft projects but there are so many I want to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hello! All around craft slut here 🙋🏻‍♀️ I do 'em all, just try and stop me! Although garment sewing is my main hobby. I did a lot of cross stitch gifts for Christmas so sewing was on the back burner but now I'm ready to sew up a storm in January.

I also treated myself to a Cricut Maker just before Christmas but so far have only done a test cut to check it was working. Bit scared of it to be honest 😆🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m a self taught basic knitter, crocheter, embroiderer. I tend to go through phases of each. I’ve also made bobbin lace since I was a teenager - sadly this seems to be a dwindling craft, there haven’t been new joiners to the group for years. I love the bobbins, kits , silks etc and since my children left home I have converted a little room into my little room with baskets of wool, a cushion filled chair, a special teapot, a radio that only plays radio four and the best days are when I sit there from Woman’s Hour til Big Ben dongs at six! Heaven!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
What did you make with your Cricut? I have a birthday coming up and think I will ask for money towards one but was thinking the expression would be a good stater machine for me from the reviews I've read but I'm not sure? I'm a bit scared of them too haha

Hello! All around craft slut here 🙋🏻‍♀️ I do 'em all, just try and stop me! Although garment sewing is my main hobby. I did a lot of cross stitch gifts for Christmas so sewing was on the back burner but now I'm ready to sew up a storm in January.

I also treated myself to a Cricut Maker just before Christmas but so far have only done a test cut to check it was working. Bit scared of it to be honest 😆🙈

Reactions: 5
What did you make with your Cricut? I have a birthday coming up and think I will ask for money towards one but was thinking the expression would be a good stater machine for me from the reviews I've read but I'm not sure? I'm a bit scared of them too haha

When you plug it in and set it up it walks you through a test cut so I literally just cut a crown shape out of card and then switched it off and put it back in the box! Ha! Because I sew clothes I got it so that I could customise them with vinyl. But I do enjoy other crafts too so I opted for the maker as it has the most versatility. It was expensive but I got a deal and had been considering blowing the last of my savings on it for about a year. I think though because it's so versatile and you can do so much I don't know where to begin!

I’m a (very novice) calligrapher and also a wax seal enthusiast 😍

Love a wax seal!

Reactions: 6
I've done a lot of knitting this year, I'm a terrible fidget and find it calming. I made two cot blankets for the grandson I've not yet met (duck Covid 19) and am currently knitting the animals for Noah's Ark.
During the early mornings and evenings in the summer I rediscovered my love of mosaics and covered two walls in the garden.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
I’m a knitter, but haven’t knitted in a while. However, I was given a couple of cross stitch sets for my birthday last year. I might also knit something too, eventually. I’m probably not as talented as other members of the cabal, but I am going to make an effort to be more creative in 2021. Especially as we’re realistically likely to be in lockdown for a good while yet.

Love this, thank you for setting up! Not mega crafty but am attempting to embroider some baby sleepsuits with my daughter’s name some point this / next week so will be reading for tips! xx

Reactions: 8
I started by making things from the Cath Kidson Sew book. Easy things like oven gloves to practice using the machine.

I enjoy sewing and have just bought an overlocker and a Tilly and the buttons course on how to use it.
I also knit, have a jumper which I need to finish. I also cross-stitch, I have a big cross-stitch to finish.
I have a subscription to Sew Hayley Jane sewing box, so I have a surprise of different fabric each month. Sewing and Tattle have kept me sane in 2020!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I have a cricut maker. Had it a few years but only really go into this year but it seems everyone has one now 😂 I do love it but I’m lacking the inspiration to make anything unique and fed up of putting names on things.

• Haha
Hi! I mostly cross stitch. I made a few Christmas cards, and have a cool geometric Northern Lights pattern up next to start. I'm so slow at stitching though, it will take me ages!

I've signed up for my first ever Zoom craft class too, it's needle felting which I've never tried before. Will be interesting to see how I get on with virtual craft learning!

Reactions: 11