COVID-19 vaccine #19 & general vaccine conversation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm really sorry to hear this - please challenge this immediately and take it up with PALS if you're struggling to get anywhere <3

Nationally, restrictions on hospital visitors have been relaxed (with exceptions on certain wards). I would be really suprised if they are doing this in line with Trust policy - your local hospital page should outline this!
Yeah it’s trust policy they’ve only started to ease them for general wards but certain wards are still off limits to visitors

Attachments

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Going to stop going in circles:

Pfizer only not Moderna.

“A two-dose series of the vaccine was 100% effective against COVID-19, measured seven days through over four months after the second dose, the company said.”

We're going round in circles because you can't seem to explain what the issue with this reporting is though?

Pfizer observed 100% efficacy in these specific trials (in the South African population & in this sample of teens), therefore this is what they reported.

What do you find problematic about this?

We're going round in circles because you can't seem to explain what the issue with this reporting is though?

Pfizer observed 100% efficacy in these specific trials (in the South African population & in this sample of teens), therefore this is what they reported.

Maybe the fact they include all teens in that message when SA is a completely different environment and clinical trials don’t account for RWD.

Reactions: 1

You posted you hadn’t seen pfizer claim 100% effectiveness. I posted where this is coming from them on two occasions not just the media- firstly in the press release where effectiveness is mentioned above the efficacy and the trial with the kids.

You keep getting hung up on efficacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Maybe the fact they include all teens in that message when SA is a completely different environment and clinical trials don’t account for RWD.
Eh? They are two completely different statements, based on two completely different studies.

Pfizer observed 100% efficacy in a trial of south african patients, and therefore reported 100% efficacy in this trial.

They also observed 100% efficacy in a trial of teenagers, and therefore reported this 100% efficacy in this trial.

I have read the full press releases for both, and not sure what you're seeing as misleading here.

You posted you hadn’t seen pfizer claim 100% effectiveness. I posted where this is coming from them in the press release and the trial with the kids and the other study not just the media.

You keep getting hung up on efficacy.
It's not getting hung up - it's trying to understand why you have an issue with a drug company accuarately reporting study findings?

As I said many posts ago, I'm not sure why you're focussed on this when we know effectiveness has decreased significantly due to the relatively fast mutation rate of SARS-COV-2, which is why new versions of these vaccines are being rolled out.

Eh? They are two completely different statements, based on two completely different studies.

Pfizer observed 100% efficacy in a trial of south african patients, and therefore reported 100% efficacy in this trial.

They also observed 100% efficacy in a trial of teenagers, and therefore reported this 100% efficacy in this this trial.
It’s the Reuters article I was commenting on

It matters because it’s now known that vaccine effectiveness drops.
Uhuh...which no-one has ever claimed isn't the case...?

Also - now know?! This a very established concept in epi & immunology, which is why we're so hot on tracking the mutation rate of viruses, and re-designing/redploying vaccines for infectious diseases that do have a rapid mutation rate (i.e, influenza)

It matter because it’s now known vaccine effectiveness drops.Wasn’t the case at the start of roll out.

If Pfizer’s reporting is also indeed 100% accurate they will withstand the current court case they are facing where data corruption and poor practice is alleged .

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
It matter because it’s now known vaccine effectiveness drops.Wasn’t the case at the start of roll out.

If Pfizer’s reporting is also indeed 100% accurate they will withstand the current court case they are facing where data corruption and poor practice is alleged .
You are very much mistaken.

It has always been known that SARS-COV-2 and other comparable viruses demonstrate antigenic drift (I'll state again this is why so many resources were pumped into sequencing, tracking and predicting genomic changes), and therefore that vaccine effectiveness would reduce as the virus accumulated mutations.

It is also the very basis of epi 101 that a efficacy is in a trial will not translate to real world effectiveness, and this is something I'd expect undergrads to be aware of.

There's also been transparent reporting on estimating vaccine effectiveness & how much it has dropped in regards to various variants (for all the vaccines - although you seem very fixated on Pfizer), which is why I'm confused about your focus on early trial results which are no longer relevant to the current situation.

This is why, as has been said many times, countries worldwide are moving to an annual booster programme which will use an updated vaccine each year, just as we do for comparable viruses such as 'flu.

You may not be in a demographic offered this booster, and of course you can just turn it down, but it would best to make an informed decision, which it seems you are possibly not.

You are very much mistaken.

It has always been known that SARS-COV-2 and other comparable viruses demonstrate antigenic drift (I'll state again this is why so many resources were pumped into sequencing, tracking and predicting genomic changes), and therefore that vaccine effectiveness would reduce as the virus accumulated mutations.

It is also the very basis of epi 101 that a efficacy is in a trial will not translate to real world effectiveness, and this is something I'd expect undergrads to be aware of.

There's also been transparent reporting on estimating vaccine effectiveness & how much it has dropped in regards to various variants (for all the vaccines - although you seem very fixated on Pfizer), which is why I'm confused about your focus on early trial results which are no longer relevant to the current situation.

This is why, as has been said many times, countries worldwide are moving to an annual booster programme which will use an updated vaccine each year, just as we do for comparable viruses such as 'flu.

You may not be in a demographic offered this booster, and of course you can just turn it down, but it would best to make an informed decision, which it seems you are possibly not.
But how can it be an updated vaccine when the virus is mutating quicker than the vaccine is being produced, they’re only playing catch-up 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 5
But how can it be an updated vaccine when the virus is mutating quicker than the vaccine is being produced, they’re only playing catch-up 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yes definitely - like everything it's an imperfect science - researchers will predict, based on the evolutionary history, what the most likely dominant variant of SARS-COV-2 will be. This how other annual vaccine programmes are run, and some years it works better than others.

The main thing is that a vaccine does not have to be perfect match to the dominant variant to work well - especially in a population with a level of immunity already (from previous infections & vaccinations). For example, vaccine effectiveness was still around 60% even when working against a virus that is now substantially different to the original Wuhan variant.

The other important factor is that less infections mean lower mutation rate & a lower likliehood of new variants emerging. So basically, things should never be as unpredictable as they were in 2020 when we had a completely naive population and huge amounts of transmission.

Yes definitely - like everything it's an imperfect science - researchers will predict, based on the evolutionary history, what the most likely dominant variant of SARS-COV-2 will be. This how other annual vaccine programmes are run, and some years it works better than others.

The main thing is that a vaccine does not have to be perfect match to the dominant variant to work well - especially in a population with a level of immunity already (from previous infections & vaccinations). For example, vaccine effectiveness was still around 60% even when working against a virus that is now substantially different to the original Wuhan variant.

The other important factor is that less infections mean lower mutation rate & a lower likliehood of new variants emerging. So basically, things should never be as unpredictable as they were in 2020 when we had a completely naive population and huge amounts of transmission.
I thought they couldn’t predict with covid as it’s such a shapeshifter but who knows how things will go ,we’ve always got monkeypox to look forward to 😂

Fingers crossed for your MIL monga.

On another note the fact that some feel the need to take the time to actually post " see I told you it wasn't the vaccine that killed so and so it was xyz " ,especially in a time of HUGE I told you sos, really blows my mind.
If I could give any advice to them it would be to spend less time in the virtual world, get some real life experience, empathy, humility and wisdom. Stop acting so superior and stop believing that everyone gets their beliefs, thoughts and ideas from social media. Because believe it or not the majority don't. There was a life before the Internet.
And p.s. the beeb is not gospel.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

On another note the fact that some feel the need to take the time to actually post " see I told you it wasn't the vaccine that killed so and so it was xyz " ,especially in a time of HUGE I told you sos, really blows my mind.
If I could give any advice to them it would be to spend less time in the virtual world, get some real life experience, empathy, humility and wisdom. Stop acting so superior and stop believing that everyone gets their beliefs, thoughts and ideas from social media. Because believe it or not the majority don't. There was a life before the Internet.
"I told you so" are definitely not words that belong in any conversations about illness or death.

Am new to the thread - why do you have an issue with correcting fake claims that have been propogated on SM/in the media? Misinformation isn't helpful to anyone.

A teenager in my hometown died from complications of a illness he'd had most of his life (certainly pre 2020). Members of various disinformation groups jumped on this, using his death for their own agenda, claiming he'd died due to being vaccinated. This compunded the grief his family were feeling, and I'll carry on correcting anyone who tries to use his death in this way.

It's not in anyone's best interests to be coerced out of being vaccinated, or terrified because they already have been, due to disinformation orchestrated by groups who benefit from it. No one can make an informed choice if they're surrounded in fake claims about COVID and vaccination.

"I told you so" are definitely not words that belong in any conversations about illness or death.

Am new to the thread - why do you have an issue with correcting fake claims that have been propogated on SM/in the media? Misinformation isn't helpful to anyone.

A teenager in my hometown died from complications of a illness he'd had most of his life (certainly pre 2020). Members of various disinformation groups jumped on this, using his death for their own agenda, claiming he'd died due to being vaccinated. This compunded the grief his family were feeling, and I'll carry on correcting anyone who tries to use his death in this way.

It's not in anyone's best interests to be coerced out of being vaccinated, or terrified because they already have been, due to disinformation orchestrated by groups who benefit from it. No one can make an informed choice if they're surrounded in fake claims about COVID and vaccination.
Equally people should be welcome to be free to make a choice to not be vaccinated. No one can make an informed choice if they’re surrounded by propaganda and scare mongering. Many have felt coerced into getting the vaccine so they can travel, so they can eat in restaurants and so on. No one should be coerced to do anything against their will.

If someone wants the vaccine they should be free to make that choice without scrutiny.

If someone does not want the vaccine they should be free to make that choice without scrutiny.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Equally people should be welcome to be free to make a choice to not be vaccinated. No one can make an informed choice if they’re surrounded by propaganda and scare mongering. Many have felt coerced into getting the vaccine so they can travel, so they can eat in restaurants and so on. No one should be coerced to do anything against their will.

If someone wants the vaccine they should be free to make that choice without scrutiny.

If someone does not want the vaccine they should be free to make that choice without scrutiny.
Of course - this is why I said no one can make an informed choice if surrounded by misinformation.

Misinformation certainly goes both ways, but as someone working in this field, there is infinitely more misinformation that aims to discourage vaccination & minimise the impacts of COVID, than the other way around.

Choosing to not be vaccinated against coronavirus in the UK will not adversely affect you, boosters are only likely to be offered to certain demographics. This is why I'm suprised disinformation groups are still working hard to sow fear regarding this.

And a good proportion of the population have been manipulated and coerced into taking this injection. Government propaganda, fake stats, mandates, bullying, the list goes on. My nana didn't have a "choice", the carehome made that decision on her behalf and she died 4 weeks after her last injection. I should also mention she had covid a year prior and didn't even have one symptom!
My SIL was forced to have this injection because she works for the NHS (even though she really didn't want it) and ended up in A&E because her legs went numb! If people really knew the risks associated with this vaccine would they have had it? Given that most people are not running back for the next injection tells me they wouldn't have.

"Misinformation" is what's caused millions of people to be vaccine injured for a vaccine they didn't even need!

• Heart
Reactions: 10

No one posts saying ‘I told told you so’ but if someone dies, it is posted here and posters are adamant it is the vaccine that was the cause of death. Example of the singer Darius, it was posted on here last month and when the cause of death came out yesterday as being inhalation of chloroethane, someone was still adamant it was the vaccine.

Chloroethane is used to treat pain and he had suffered chronic neck pain since he had an accident in 2010. The autopsy carried out found “toxic effects of chloroethane” as well as “suffocation” as contributing factors. His death was also ruled an accident by the examiner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
If people really knew the risks associated with this vaccine would they have had it? Given that most people are not running back for the next injection tells me they wouldn't have.

@Freedomofspeech89

What next injection? The general population were offered a primary course of 2 vaccines and a single booster. This was quite some time ago, and there are currently no plans to offer any additional innoculations.

I'm very familiar with the most recent literature regarding prevalence of vaccine side effects - based on this I would definitely still have chosen to be vaccinated, as would have my collegaues. The data we have adds to my confidence, rather than taking it away. If I was offered a booster this Autumn I'd take it.

Just offering an alternative viewpoint.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.