COVID-19 vaccine #19 & general vaccine conversation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No nothing ,and I can guarantee she didn't have this problem pre pandemic as she had previous surgery and it was never picked up , to now being left in a serious condition it's very high risk surgery but they've no alternative because this bubble is cutting off her oxygen supply .
Have they given you an approx surgery date?

Reactions: 1
It’s from a press release.
Do you have the link to the full document or publication, rather than just a screenshot?

From what I can see, it looks like for a specific study in a South African population, 100% efficacy was observed. If these were the numbers derived, those were the numbers derived... It's also not unheard of to see 100% efficacy in a trial setting, though this does not often translate to a real world setting for a variety of factors.

This isn't the same thing however, as Pfizer claiming their vaccine is 100% effective.

It’s from a press release.
I knew that is what you were referring to as it was spoken about on one of the earlier vaccine threads. That was in reference to a clinical trial of 800 against the SA variant. Of those 800 who received the vaccine, 0 tested positive and 9 tested positive in the placebo group which would make the vaccine 100% effective in this scenario.

“On April 1, Pfizer released a press release stating that the vaccine was "100% effective in preventing COVID-19 cases in South Africa, where the B.1.351 lineage is prevalent."

“In the small clinical trial in South Africa, which included 800 participants, nine tested positive for COVID-19, all of whom were in the placebo group and did not receive the Pfizer vaccine.”

Again, though I don't really see why you're pushing this point? The stats for the original trials looked fine (and you can believe how heavily they were scrutinised) - I don't see any evidence that Pfizer exaggerated or lied about what was observed in trials.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I'm so sorry to hear that monga. I really hope it goes as well for her as possible and she makes a full recovery. My husbands friend developed an embolism in his lung after he was vaccinated and is now on medication for the rest of his life.
I'd be asking questions as to the cause but unfortunately I'm not with her at appointments and she wouldn't understand what they're talking about the only reason I know what it is is because she got the consultant to write it down on a piece of paper ,but no explanation to what caused it , he's not seen it before they actually got a group of consultants to meet to discuss her case 🤷‍♀️

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Do you have the link to the full document or publication, rather than just a screenshot?

From what I can see, it looks like for a specific study in a South African population, 100% efficacy was observed. If these were the numbers derived, those were the numbers derived... It's also not unheard of to see 100% efficacy in a trial setting, though this does not often translate to a real world setting for a variety of factors.

This isn't the same thing however, as Pfizer claiming their vaccine is 100% effective.
It was taken from here -

I'd be asking questions as to the cause but unfortunately I'm not with her at appointments and she wouldn't understand what they're talking about the only reason I know what it is is because she got the consultant to write it down on a piece of paper ,but no explanation to what caused it , he's not seen it before they actually got a group of consultants to meet to discuss her case 🤷‍♀️
Gosh it seems ludicrous that no one was with her. I'm guessing that's because of the covid procedures? Your poor MIL, I bet she's so confused.

Reactions: 4
Thanks - so what problem were you seeing with this?

This is the clinical trial they are reporting on:

In South Africa, where the B.1.351 lineage is prevalent and 800 participants were enrolled, nine cases of COVID-19 were observed, all in the placebo group, indicating vaccine efficacy of 100% (95% CI, [53.5, 100.0]).

If no-one is infected in your intervention group, that is indeed a efficacy of 100% - so don't see an issue?

I see the rest of the page describes trials in additional population, including their large Phase 3 study, which resulted in slightly lower efficacy.

Thanks - so what problem were you seeing with this?

This is the clinical trial they are reporting on:

In South Africa, where the B.1.351 lineage is prevalent and 800 participants were enrolled, nine cases of COVID-19 were observed, all in the placebo group, indicating vaccine efficacy of 100% (95% CI, [53.5, 100.0]).

If no-one is infected in your intervention group, that is indeed a efficacy of 100% - so don't see an issue?

I see the rest of the page describes trials in additional population, including their large Phase 3 study, which resulted in slightly lower efficacy.
I wasn’t seeing a problem with this. I just offered the link as it is something I have previously talked about on the earlier vaccine threads. I also posted (in response to @rainbowlemon) pretty much the same above regarding the study and what it found. 👇🏻

I knew that is what you were referring to as it was spoken about on one of the earlier vaccine threads. That was in reference to a clinical trial of 800 against the SA variant. Of those 800 who received the vaccine, 0 tested positive and 9 tested positive in the placebo group which would make the vaccine 100% effective in this scenario.

“On April 1, Pfizer released a press release stating that the vaccine was "100% effective in preventing COVID-19 cases in South Africa, where the B.1.351 lineage is prevalent."

“In the small clinical trial in South Africa, which included 800 participants, nine tested positive for COVID-19, all of whom were in the placebo group and did not receive the Pfizer vaccine.”

“As LiveScience reports, the Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson clinical trials all found that their vaccines were essentially 100 percent effective in preventing severe disease six to seven weeks after trial participants had received a first/single dose. As biotech journalist Anna Nowogrodzki notes, "Zero vaccinated people in any of the trials were hospitalized or died of COVID-19 after the vaccines had fully taken effect." Now that's the kind of vaccine efficacy that we can all cheer.”

100% safe for teens too:

Reactions: 2
Who's said the vaccine is "100% safe for teens" @rainbowlemon? Couldn't see that in the article you linked.

No intervention is 100% safe so I wouldn't trust any expert claiming this one jot.

You seem to be ignoring the questions about the Pfizer data though? I'm still a little confused as to what the problem is you're seeing?

I don’t have a particular problem just pointing out what was claimed.
But to what end? Pfizer accurately reported their results from a study in a specific population. This isn't really "claiming" anything.

The fact they reported this alongside the lower efficacy reported in other populations is a good standard of dissemination, IMO.

You posted :

“I don't believe Pfizer ever claimed 100% effectiveness (or do you mean efficacy?) - do you have a link? “

I posted items that would suggest they did.
See my post above :)

Gosh it seems ludicrous that no one was with her. I'm guessing that's because of the covid procedures? Your poor MIL, I bet she's so confused.
Yeah our local hospital have strict rules in place she wasn’t even allowed a visitor the whole month she was in .

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
You posted :

“I don't believe Pfizer ever claimed 100% effectiveness (or do you mean efficacy?) - do you have a link? “

I posted items that would suggest they did.
So again I can't really comment on a screenshot as I only have the headline to go on - did the study Bloomberg are quoting from derive 100% efficacy? Was this even for the Pfizer vaccine or was it moderna?

If it did then I mean that's a fair enough headline. Responsible reporting would include the concepts that effectivness is likely to be lower and all the relevant caveats, but journalists are notoriously not great at doing this.

Incidentally you can't really blame scientists or drug companies for how the media reports on things - due to the problem outlined above.

So again I can't really comment on a screenshot as I only have the headline to go on - did the study Bloomberg are quoting from derive 100% efficacy? Was this even for the Pfizer vaccine or was it moderna?

If it did then I mean that's a fair enough headline. Responsible reporting would include the concepts that effectivness is likely to be lower and all the relevant caveats, but journalists are notoriously not great at doing this.

Incidentally you can't really blame scientists or drug companies for how the media reports on things - due to the problem outlined above.
It looks like Bloomberg are talking about Pfizer, I could not read the full article as it is behind a paywall.

EA811983-D2CD-47FE-840A-9B6486954E97.jpeg

Yeah our local hospital have strict rules in place she wasn’t even allowed a visitor the whole month she was in .
I'm really sorry to hear this - please challenge this immediately and take it up with PALS if you're struggling to get anywhere <3

Nationally, restrictions on hospital visitors have been relaxed (with exceptions on certain wards). I would be really suprised if they are doing this in line with Trust policy - your local hospital page should outline this!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.