COVID-19 vaccine #19 & general vaccine conversation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But it doesn’t stop transmission it’s spreads like wildfire, vaccinated or not the disruption hasn’t been avoided once the wave takes hold
Again - this is a false dichotomy.

Vaccination reduces transmission, it reduces the "disruption" you're referring to. On a population-level, offering vaccination makes a huge difference in reducing impacts on *everyone*.

• Haha
Reactions: 1

Vaccination reduces transmission, it reduces the "disruption" you're referring to. On a population-level, offering vaccination makes a huge difference.

It's like saying washing your hands before cooking only reducing food poisoning risk by X%, so no should ever bother.
No it’s not, it’s not saying anything of the sort.
Vaccine’s are not hand wash, they are drugs that come with a plethora of side effects.

Reactions: 7
Vaccine’s are not hand wash, they are drugs that come with a plethora of side effects.
You have completely misunderstood my post.

This isn't a comparison of vaccines to handwashing - it's about this false dichotomy of claiming that if something doesn't work 100%, it's not beneficial.

I am not talking about an individual getting vaccinated (or not) - I was answering as to what is the point of offering vaccination, & how this benefits the general population.

Side effects for some people, albeit rare. And no one is being made to take them.

Vaccination reduces transmission, it reduces the "disruption" you're referring to. On a population-level, offering vaccination makes a huge difference in reducing impacts on *everyone*.
They're not vaccinating the population though , so the impact won't be felt ( if there is any ) .

You asked "what would people gain from it?" as it doesn't offer "sterilising immunity". I gave you an answer.

Having an infectious disease circulating at high levels in the population impacts everyone- it sucks up resources. Reducing these impacts (i.e., infections, severity of illness, people on sick leave, hospital care) benefits everyone, and offering vaccination to certain groups is one way to do this.

The suppression measures you mentioned all come at cost -e.g., isolating. Right now the costs outweigh the benefits of those specific policies.

It's strange to me how some people can't see past a dichtomy when it comes to COVID & measures we can use to reduce impacts.
^^ @Emmelina Ball

They're not vaccinating the population though , so the impact won't be felt ( if there is any ) .
What do you mean?

As has been said several times, the vaccines are being offered to certain demographics in the population. This will reduce infections, transmission, severity of illness, time people spend on sick leave, hospitilisations etc. This will benefit everyone.

I find it interesting comments against the vaccine are being allowed now. I tried many times when the vaccine rollout began to urge people to look into it. See what was in the damn thing. Messages from mods and general abuse. Interesting

Reactions: 2
Side effects for some people, albeit rare. And no one is being made to take them.
Side effects are common. Most people get at least one side effect from vaccination. Could be a sore arm at the site of injection, a headache, or even VITT. You yourself had side effects you mentioned earlier no?! Didn’t you say that was expected following vaccination and that’s why you felt it wasn’t covid?!

You have completely misunderstood my post.

This isn't a comparison of vaccines to handwashing - it's about this false dichotomy of claiming that if something doesn't work 100%, it's not beneficial.

I am not talking about an individual getting vaccinated (or not) - I was answering as to what is the point of offering vaccination, & how this benefits the general population.
Not very good examples you’re offering IMO.

Reactions: 5
Side effects are common. Most people get at least one side effect from vaccination. Could be a sore arm at the site of injection, a headache, or even VITT. You yourself had side effects you mentioned earlier no?! Didn’t you say that was expected following vaccination and that’s why you felt it wasn’t covid?!
I assumed you meant the more severe side effects, as I don't think many people would refuse a vaccine if the worst they were gonna get was a sore arm or headache.

^^ @Emmelina Ball

What do you mean?

As has been said several times, the vaccines are being offered to certain demographics in the population. This will reduce infections, transmission, severity of illness, time people spend on sick leave, hospitilisations etc. This will benefit everyone.
Only on those that receive it, people can still catch and pass it on .

I assumed you meant the more severe side effects, as I don't think many people would refuse a vaccine if the worst they were gonna get was a sore arm or headache.
I never said severe. I said side effects. There are many, as you know, you described them earlier didn’t you?!

Reactions: 2
I never said severe. I said side effects. There are many, as you know, you described them earlier didn’t you?!
Yeah and I'll have another one knowing I'm only likely to get a sore arm and maybe some mild flu symptoms for 24 hours. As I believe it's worth it for the protection it offers.

Only on those that receive it, people can still catch and pass it on .
Again - you misunderstand.

Firstly, vaccination reduces likelihood of both infection & transmission.

Secondly - reducing the impacts of coronavirus (or any infectious disease) benefits everyone. Even if you personally are at zero risk of getting COVID. We all lose out when resources are being sucked up by an infectious disease, which is why it makes sense to try and mitigate it's impacts.

Say you are waiting on surgery for hydronephrosis. It's non-urgent, but causing you a great deal of pain day-to-day. Surgeons can't admit you until there's a bed available. Unfortunately, due to the number of COVID patients in hospital, this keeps getting delayed. Offering vaccination reduces the number of infections, onward transmissions, hospital staff needing sick leave, patients admitted etc - this will increase the likelihood of bed availability for you and everyone else.

Reactions: 4
Yeah and I'll have another one knowing I'm only likely to get a sore arm and maybe some mild flu symptoms for 24 hours. As I believe it's worth it for the protection it offers.
You can still get the mild flu symptoms for free they don’t stop you catching it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
That’s good for you, doesn’t change my point, if anything it confirms what I was saying so thanks for that 😂

Again - you misunderstand.

Firstly, vaccination reduces likelihood of both infection & transmission.

Secondly - reducing the impacts of coronavirus (or any infectious disease) benefits everyone. Even if you personally are at zero risk of getting COVID. We all lose out when resources are being sucked up by an infectious disease, which is why it makes sense to try and mitigate it's impacts.
I don’t believe it I’ve seen the proof first hand.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.