COVID-19 vaccine #19 & general vaccine conversation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The title from the Twitter account is misleading to what the paper talks about. It does not say and nor did it find that “for every one covid hospitalisation prevented, 18- 98 actual serious adverse events have been caused.”

What it does talk about is a hypothetical scenario of a campus of 30,000 young adults receiving the booster - could expect more SAEs (18 to 98)…

View attachment 1573608
And the thing is, Larry Sanger must know that. (I don't know much about him, but I did a cursory search and can see he's clearly not unintelligent.)

So it's not like he's the type to accidentally mislead.

And the thing is, Larry Sanger must know that. (I don't know much about him, but I did a cursory search and can see he's clearly not unintelligent.)

So it's not like he's the type to accidentally mislead.
I don’t know what the purpose is as it is quite clear what the study is talking about and the use of language is hypothetical rather than this is what happened and this is what we found.

I suppose it's all about clicks and attention.
Possibly. Reading the comments under that Twitter post, others have commented that he has omitted information and what he claims is not what the study says.

How many would want to pay for it for such mild symptoms
It depends on the cost of it? Would it be cheaper to produce and administer than the current vaccines we have. Storage wise too, would it be easier than the current vaccines that need to be stored at certain temperatures.

Possibly. Reading the comments under that Twitter post, others have commented that he has omitted information and what he claims is not what the study says.
That's something at least. Usually those sort of tweets are lapped up and disseminated by those who believe it all.

It depends on the cost of it? Would it be cheaper to produce and administer than the current vaccines we have. Storage wise too, would it be easier than the current vaccines that need to be stored at certain temperatures.
What would people gain from it? It won’t offer sterilising immunity so they’ll basically just end up with a cold anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️

What would people gain from it? It won’t offer sterilising immunity so they’ll basically just end up with a cold anyway 🤷🏼‍♀️
An alternative to those who are scared of needles, also in terms of logistics it may be cheaper to produce/easier to store than the current vaccine. I don’t know the costs of the nasal version and how it is stored.

Exactly the same rationale as why we offer vaccination for 'flu - on a population level it makes a huge difference to *everyone* if you reduce infections, transmission, illness severity & people on sick leave, long term complications, hospitilisation & deaths...

A vaccine that doesn't rely on such stringent cold chains would be great for LMICs & the nasal mode of delivery good for kids and those with needle phobia. It's about offering more people the option to choose, and removing barriers for those who'd like to be vaccinated.

I suppose it's all about clicks and attention.
bingo - clickbait type posting does just this, cautious sensible reporting however....

Reactions: 2
Exactly the same rationale as why we offer vaccination for 'flu - on a population level it makes a huge difference to *everyone* if you reduce infections, transmission, illness severity & people on sick leave, long term complications, hospitilisation & deaths...

A vaccine that doesn't rely on such stringent cold chains would be great for LMICs & the nasal mode of delivery good for kids and those with needle phobia. It's about offering more people the option to choose, and removing barriers for those who'd like to be vaccinated.

bingo - clickbait type posting does just this, cautious sensible reporting however....
Then why are they only offering the vaccine to certain groups and not the general population 🤷🏼‍♀️

An alternative to those who are scared of needles, also in terms of logistics it may be cheaper to produce/easier to store than the current vaccine. I don’t know the costs of the nasal version and how it is stored.
I’m assuming the covid vaccine will always be free for certain groups as part of the winter vaccine programme, I fail to see many purchasing it to suffer the same symptoms they would get for free , that’s all !

Last edited:
Then why are they only offering the vaccine to certain groups and not the general population 🤷🏼‍♀️
You seem to just want to try and catch people out with a "gotcha" rather than actually discussing?

Because coronavirus risk is not evenly distributed through the population, certain groups are at a) higher risk than others or b) higher risk of exposure.

We prioritise certain groups first - I imagine the roll out will be expanded to include lower risk groups depending on a variety of factors. This is not a new concept at all.

Reactions: 1
I’m assuming the covid vaccine will always be free for certain groups as part of the winter vaccine programme, I fail to see many purchasing it to suffer the same symptoms they would get for free , that’s all !
Yes that is what I think too. It will be free for the elderly, vulnerable and immunocompromised - similar to the flu vaccine. I also think it would be good for it to be available to anyone (at a small cost like the flu vaccine) so people have the choice to get it.

I personally would like to see it available for anyone to get as this is the case for the annual flu vaccine.

Yup - I'd expect so.

Deciding who to offer vaccination to is always done by assessing the cost-benefit. HPV is a good (and annoying) example.

Yes that is what I think too. It will be free for the elderly, vulnerable and immunocompromised - similar to the flu vaccine. I also think it would be good for it to be available to anyone (at a small cost like the flu vaccine) so people have the choice to get it.

I personally would like to see it available for anyone to get as this is the case for the annual flu vaccine.
Many employers would offer it to their staff as well, same as many do with the flu vaccine.

It’s bound to go on general sale isn’t that how companies make their money.

You seem to just want to try and catch people out with a "gotcha" rather than actually discussing?

Because coronavirus risk is not evenly distributed through the population, certain groups are at a) higher risk than others or b) higher risk of exposure.

We prioritise certain groups first - I imagine the roll out will be expanded to include lower risk groups depending on a variety of factors. This is not a new concept at all.
Nothing to discuss I’m made myself clear many times 😂 I don’t think they are rolling it out to all going by their announcement for this years drive, haven’t they even stopped testing?

Reactions: 2
Nothing to discuss I’m made myself clear many times 😂 I don’t think they are rolling it out to all going by their announcement for this years drive, haven’t they even stopped testing?
Eh? You reply to my posts saying something doesn't follow on, then why I reply back I get something else that doesn't follow on 😂 It's really unexpected!

Yup as has already been said, it's not being offered to everyone, and yes mass testing isn't happening anymore.

Eh? You reply to my posts saying something doesn't follow on, then why I reply back I get something else that doesn't follow on 😂 It's really unexpected!

Yup as has already been said, it's not being offered to everyone, and yes mass testing isn't happening anymore.
I've no idea what you're talking about , You made a list of why the covid vaccine is so important I simply stated if that's the case why are the Gov doing the opposite , no testing , no isolating , carry on as normal , no vaccines for the general population ... not a gotcha , it's a fact 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
I've no idea what you're talking about , You made a list of why the covid vaccine is so important I simply stated if that's the case why are the Gov doing the opposite , no testing , no isolating , carry on as normal , no vaccines for the general population ... not a gotcha , it's a fact 🤷‍♀️
You asked "what would people gain from it?" as it doesn't offer "sterilising immunity". I gave you an answer.

Having an infectious disease circulating at high levels in the population impacts everyone- it sucks up resources. Reducing these impacts (i.e., infections, severity of illness, people on sick leave, hospital care) benefits everyone, and offering vaccination to certain groups is one way to do this.

The suppression measures you mentioned all come at cost -e.g., isolating. Right now the costs outweigh the benefits of those specific policies.

It's strange to me how some people can't see past a dichtomy when it comes to COVID & measures we can use to reduce impacts.

You asked "what would people gain from it?" as it doesn't offer "sterilising immunity". I gave you an answer.

Having an infectious disease circulating at high levels in the population impacts everyone- it sucks up resources. Reducing these impacts (i.e., infections, severity of illness, people on sick leave, hospital care) benefits everyone, and offering vaccination to certain groups is one way to do this.

The suppression measures you mentioned all come at cost -e.g., isolating. Right now the costs outweigh the benefits of those specific policies.

It's strange to me how some people can't see past a dichtomy when it comes to COVID & measures we can use to reduce impacts.
But it doesn’t stop transmission it’s spreads like wildfire, vaccinated or not the disruption hasn’t been avoided once the wave takes hold

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.