COVID-19 vaccine #11 and general vaccine conversation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How many. That table is for the 0-2 age group. The point of the post was how crazy it is for people in that age group to get jabbed.

So you tell me, how many in that age group have so called "long covid". Then tell me how many of those can not attribute their long covid to anything else such as existing poor health, pre existing health problems or it simply being psycho samatic. Then tell me how long their loooong covid lasted for.

Because I'm not gonna be jabbing my kids based on limited data and fear mongering over post viral fatigue.

If you don't know that info, I suggest you stop getting your knickers in a twist about "long covid"
I am not getting my knickers in a twist, I don’t think it is fair to downplay long Covid. It exists and unfortunately young, healthy and fit people are being affected by it with no previous underlying health conditions/poor diets/habits etc.

The exact number isn’t known as there are on going studies into it.

not looking to argue btw, I do enjoy a friendly debate when we can all converse without getting bitchy.

over a

fig roll or 12 🙂
I know! Nor am I looking for an argument. Been a while since fig rolls were mentioned. 🥴🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Earlier on in the threads there was a conversation regarding an increase in suicides - this was in early stages of pademic. It was found this was not the case. Of course the past two years has caused a huge amount of stress and impacted MH.

“Comparison of the suicide rates after lockdown began in 2020 for the same months in selected areas in 2019 showed no difference.”

I haven't got time to read the whole paper so apologies but does this take into account the number of suicide attempts for example? I'm just interested because to me, if what they've measured here is whether the number of 'successful' suicides has been higher, I would want that to be contextualised e.g. have there been more/less/the same number of unsuccessful attempts? It seems a bit of a crude measure to only compare the actual rate but like I say I can't read it all right now

Reactions: 9
I haven't got time to read the whole paper so apologies but does this take into account the number of suicide attempts for example? I'm just interested because to me, if what they've measured here is whether the number of 'successful' suicides has been higher, I would want that to be contextualised e.g. have there been more/less/the same number of unsuccessful attempts? It seems a bit of a crude measure to only compare the actual rate but like I say I can't read it all right now
I get what you’re saying but attempted suicides would probably be harder to measure if they do not lead to that people being hospitalised. As in, there would be no record of it or it being reported. Not sure if this makes sense.

I get what you’re saying but attempted suicides would probably be harder to measure if they do not lead to that people being hospitalised. As in, there would be no record of it or it being reported. Not sure if this makes sense.
They would be able to collect some data on it presumably through 999 calls etc, however they normally do it, and compare that. It's obviously important to know the rate of successful suicide too, I guess I'm just not convinced that's the most important measure. For example, if there had been many more suicide attempts during the pandemic I'd think that's important to know, and I wouldn't think 'oh well it's actually fine because barely any of them were successful' if that makes sense. Just wondering!

Reactions: 4
They would be able to collect some data on it presumably through 999 calls etc, however they normally do it, and compare that. It's obviously important to know the rate of successful suicide too, I guess I'm just not convinced that's the most important measure. For example, if there had been many more suicide attempts during the pandemic I'd think that's important to know, and I wouldn't think 'oh well it's actually fine because barely any of them were successful' if that makes sense. Just wondering!
Look at MH referrals ...there's your answer.

Reactions: 10
I totally get your point and it is of course important know the rate of attempted suicides - they matter too. Without knowing the ins and outs of how this type of research is collected, I can only think of attempted suicides being harder to measure but I may be wrong.

Reactions: 3
Gosh I so want this to be true. I haven't seen my grandma in Portugal in over 3 years because of the Covid restrictions. .

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I am not getting my knickers in a twist, I don’t think it is fair to downplay long Covid. It exists and unfortunately young, healthy and fit people are being affected by it with no previous underlying health conditions/poor diets/habits etc.

The exact number isn’t known as there are on going studies into it.

I know! Nor am I looking for an argument. Been a while since fig rolls were mentioned. 🥴🤣
So you say it definitely exists and young people are getting long covid. But then admit that no one knows how many children have it.

So it could be 0.

How can you be so sure of somthing no one has any data on. Do you know any 0-24 year olds with long covid. Can you be sure it's not attributed to something else?

Even if its 10000 how do we know it's not something other than covid causing it - seeing as no one knows anything about it. Might be depression from being locked inside and kept away from school and their friends for the best part of 2 years.

You can't keep harping on about long covid, especially not when it comes to vaxxing kids, when by your own admission no one has any data on it.

Reactions: 6
So you say it definitely exists and young people are getting long covid. But then admit that no one knows how many children have it.

So it could be 0.

How can you be so sure of somthing no one has any data on. Do you know any 0-24 year olds with long covid. Can you be sure it's not attributed to something else?

Even if its 10000 how do we know it's not something other than covid causing it - seeing as no one knows anything about it. Might be depression from being locked inside and kept away from school and their friends for the best part of 2 years.

You can't keep harping on about long covid, especially not when it comes to vaxxing kids, when by your own admission no one has any data on it.
There is some data - for now mostly studies - I recently read one from Norway I think. I can look for you if you want?

Anyway the current agreement is that long covid is a post viral syndrom with some specificities linked to sars-cov-2. With a new kind of virus infecting a lot of people it's not surprising to hear about it. The good thing is that long covid might help to bring a light on post viral syndroms that are often dismissed as psychological problems. If we can understand them better we might be able to help better people suffering from it.

So it could be 0.

Hence why there is on-going research to fully understand how many it is affecting. I linked the world’s largest study which you have dismissed.

There is data on it…are you really asking the question? There is a direct correlation between people who have been infected with Covid-19 and the long term side effects (long Covid) and there is plenty of research already published.

I didn’t say no one has any data, I said exact numbers are not known.

My husband works for the emergency services and has been out to many more attempted and successful suicides in the last 2 years than ever. They are trained of course, but the impact of watching someone who you've tried to build a bond with to get them to climb back over a barrier for example and then watching them fall to their death - things like that have a knock on affect on those that witness it, and not all recover. So the impact is much more far-reaching than just the number of successful suicides.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I've posted before about my friend who has long covid - she is 31 and was in reasonable health before having Covid. She felt she was getting better but text me yesterday to say her "whole body shut down" when she was out (first time she's tried to do something normal like go for lunch since May!) and she had to be carried to the car. She has pretty much no memory of what happened and only knows how she got home because my other friend who was with her told her. She's spent all day in bed today and cancelled our plans for tonight - which were to just sit and watch a movie. I'll just text her and tell her long covid doesn't exist and it's all in her head. I can guarantee you that laziness it is not. She would give anything to be able to go back to work, or just even go for a walk!

My other friend who is having ongoing lung issues as a result of having Covid is in his late 20s and really physically fit. I also coach youth sports and see a lot of young people who are struggling to get back to their full fitness after having Covid.

The research is ongoing. Friend first mentioned above is in a trial rehab programme. These are running all across the country. There's a wide range of long covid symptoms and severity, the same as there is with any post-viral condition.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Hence why there is on-going research to fully understand how many it is affecting. I linked the world’s largest study which you have dismissed.

There is data on it…are you really asking the question? There is a direct correlation between people who have been infected with Covid-19 and the long term side effects (long Covid) and there is plenty of research already published.

I didn’t say no one has any data, I said exact numbers are not known.
Your original post implied that children who have pretty much no risk of dying from covid - should still put themselves at risk by having a vax with known short term risks, because lots of children haven't recovered from covid.

But when questioned what the risk of long covid is to kids. You said yourself no one really knows.

So why use it as a reason to jab kids. You seem so sure that long covid is this awful thing that we all need to be super worried about. But by your own admission no one really knows anything about it. So how can you be so sure we need to be worried about it.

IRL Im still yet to meet or hear about one person under the age of 80 that was seriously ill from covid, and I know of no one with "long covid". But, with it being such an unknown, it's a good tool to use against all the people that say, look at the data covid is no risk to me. If believed long covid turns covid back into the boogie man for all age groups.

Reactions: 1
Your original post implied that children who have pretty much no risk of dying from covid - should still put themselves at risk by having a vax with known short term risks, because lots of children haven't recovered from covid.

But when questioned what the risk of long covid is to kids. You said yourself no one really knows.

So why use it as a reason to jab kids. You seem so sure that long covid is this awful thing that we all need to be super worried about. But by your own admission no one really knows anything about it. So how can you be so sure we need to be worried about it.

IRL Im still yet to meet or hear about one person under the age of 80 that was seriously ill from covid, and I know of no one with "long covid". But, with it being such an unknown, it's a good tool to use against all the people that say, look at the data covid is no risk to me. If believed long covid turns covid back into the boogie man for all age groups.
My original post was this - “It isn’t a farce. There are so many individuals who have survived Covid-19 but have not recovered from it.”

I didn’t imply or make a comment about children and vaccines - I tend not to as it is a sensitive subject. No one really knows as there are millions around the world and reseaching on a mass scale is tough. Hence why there is such a thing as on going research - I already linked one for you as an example.

Plenty of people in real life suffering from it including myself.

My original post was this - “It isn’t a farce. There are so many individuals who have survived Covid-19 but have not recovered from it.”

I didn’t imply or make a comment about children and vaccines - I tend not to as it is a sensitive subject. No one really knows as there are millions around the world and reseaching on a mass scale is tough. Hence why there is such a thing as on going research - I already linked one for you as an example.

Plenty of people in real life suffering from it including myself.
I meant to ask you this before but I forgot, when you said you are having your long covid symptoms investigated in the next few weeks is that through the NHS or private healthcare?

I meant to ask you this before but I forgot, when you said you are having your long covid symptoms investigated in the next few weeks is that through the NHS or private healthcare?
The referral is through NHS, it was done in May 2021 but only now the appointments have come through due to high level of people waiting for long Covid referrals/to be seen in long Covid clinics.

Reactions: 1
I had Covid in July as did 2 of my kids and the hubby.

Hubby and I still haven't regained our sense of smell and taste fully. Kids were OK after a few days but this issue has lingered with us for some reason. Just this week it has altered again for me as I can smell all perfume as it should smell but my taste has changed with some food to something I can't even describe!🤢

I do believe long covid exists but I also think for some people it depends on what their sick pay benefit at work is 😂

I don't see what there is to gain by downplaying long covid. It clearly exists.

I get that if a person doesn't know anyone with long covid then they're unlikely to be too concerned about it, but I don't understand why those people would want to act like it's not a thing?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.