COVID-19 vaccine #11 and general vaccine conversation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Question. Are you all avoiding mixing indoors with others right now? Advice in Wales is work from home so my husband is and we don’t go anywhere unless we have to right now. Our sons returning from Iceland at the weekend and he’s already given me hell last night saying ‘I was careful before Iceland to not mess up my trip. Once back I’m going where I like, no rules say I can’t. You’ve only got a couple of health conditions you’re not high risk’ blah blah, in a really aggressive manner. Oh I can’t wait until he’s home 😂 I’ve mentioned before that during 2 lockdowns my son became verbally aggressive and I suffered severe anxiety and insomnia due to his abusive behaviour.

Before he left my husband explained to him that when he returns we are continuing to stay safe, it hasn’t just been for his trip and it’s our house decision to not mix in other peoples houses until cases start to come down a little. We know so many family and friends doing the same right now. Our son reluctantly agreed but I knew once back his aggression would start. I know it’s hard in teens and it’s why before this latest wave I put my children needs before myself and they did what they wanted, but if the advice is work from home and he is once he’s back. Why the heck would we risk him going to friends houses, cinema, nights out drinking etc I don’t think any of it makes sense. I’m nit vaccinated, my husband has asthma, so it’s a worry. I’ve been housebound for 4 years due to chronic illness and in the last 4 months I’ve started recovering so well, getting covid setting me back of course is a genuine concern. I always put my kids before myself but right now surely common sense is needed and that doesn’t make me selfish.

I didn’t sleep until 1.30am last night due to anxiety which I’ve not suffered in months as my sons been much calmer, now I’ve seen this side of him again it’s triggered me he’s going to return home and cause stress on all the family again and none of us want that.

No, I’m not going to lock him up before anyone suggests I tie my children to their beds and don’t let them leave their rooms 😂 It’s just a genuine question, with 200,000 cases a day I’m a tad concerned and confused. I don’t know what to do. Let him mix with every Tom, Dick or Harry and have covid in the house again? My daughters got long covid issues and she’s worried about getting it again, she’s dreading returning to school next week. I feel for her.

We’ve missed him but the last week has been so calm such and a nice atmosphere at home, my son said can he just stay in Iceland? Wicked sod 😂 Our eldest kicks off and causes an argument if you ask him to just wash his hands when he returns home, he would argue in an empty room 😕

Also, isn’t a day 2 pcr 2 days after you land? My son lands today and he said he can do his day 2 pcr tomorrow! Surely far too soon to pick up covid after a flight today?
I find locking my children in the cupboard under the stairs alot more practical than tying them to their beds, especially if official people knock at the door 😉. As for my family we have carried on as normal for the last two years, if anyone is ill they stay home. In the first lockdown my daughter started self harming which progressed to her attempting to kill herself , she was 14 at the time, it's unbearable to think of the damage it has done to our children . My family got covid in December 2019 and it effected each one of us differently
the best thing i ever did was get rid of the TV, the only way my family finds out what's going on in the world is if we choose to look on tinternet, and I truly believe that's why my family don't live in fear of covid x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I find locking my children in the cupboard under the stairs alot more practical than tying them to their beds, especially if official people knock at the door 😉. As for my family we have carried on as normal for the last two years, if anyone is ill they stay home. In the first lockdown my daughter started self harming which progressed to her attempting to kill herself , she was 14 at the time, it's unbearable to think of the damage it has done to our children . My family got covid in December 2019 and it effected each one of us differently
the best thing i ever did was get rid of the TV, the only way my family finds out what's going on in the world is if we choose to look on tinternet, and I truly believe that's why my family don't live in fear of covid x
That is such an awful experience to go through as a parent. I’m so glad you all came out the other side. I agree with every word you say. We don’t watch TV, we live our lives just as we did in 2019 and we are so much healthier mentally and happier for doing so. 2020 was a miserable and difficult year us (and so many obviously), anything that reminds me of it instantly brings back those feelings. It will forever be a stain on our lives - kind of like a wound we’ve recovered from now but that’s left a scar.

Reactions: 9
That is such an awful experience to go through as a parent. I’m so glad you all came out the other side. I agree with every word you say. We don’t watch TV, we live our lives just as we did in 2019 and we are so much healthier mentally and happier for doing so. 2020 was a miserable and difficult year us (and so many obviously), anything that reminds me of it instantly brings back those feelings. It will forever be a stain on our lives - kind of like a wound we’ve recovered from now but that’s left a scar.
I can relate to what you’ve said. I was awake until the early hours last night with severe anxiety which I’ve not had in months as it triggered me having to discuss covid with my son last night, it reminded me of what we went through. It shows what a damaging impact it’s had on us all mentally.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Apologies, I’ve not read any of these threads before but does anyone watch the Darkhorse Podcasts on youtube with Bret Weinstein and the latest with Lydia McGrew?

Reactions: 1
Don't they say it's always darkest before the dawn.

Covids on the way out. They are probably desperate to shift the rest of the vaccines before this all ends and they can only flog them to people that need them, the old and vulnerable.

It's one last desperate push to milk the covid cash cal for all it's worth.

Reactions: 10
Don't they say it's always darkest before the dawn.

Covids on the way out. They are probably desperate to shift the rest of the vaccines before this all ends and they can only flog them to people that need them, the old and vulnerable.

It's one last desperate push to milk the covid cash cal for all it's worth.
Maybe? They’re setting up vaccination hubs in the schools come Monday ( uk 🇬🇧)

Maybe? They’re setting up vaccination hubs in the schools come Monday ( uk 🇬🇧)
I heard that too. Makes me sick. In one school they converted the cafeteria into a test and vax centre. So where are the poor kids eating, out in the cold? I don't know who in their right mind would get their kid vaccinated.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
I heard that too. Makes me sick. In one school they converted the cafeteria into a test and vax centre. So where are the poor kids eating, out in the cold? I don't know who in their right mind would get their kid vaccinated.
I think Kids will feel pressured if it’s brought to the schools you know how they look upon teachers

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Question. Are you all avoiding mixing indoors with others right now? Advice in Wales is work from home so my husband is and we don’t go anywhere unless we have to right now. Our sons returning from Iceland at the weekend and he’s already given me hell last night saying ‘I was careful before Iceland to not mess up my trip. Once back I’m going where I like, no rules say I can’t. You’ve only got a couple of health conditions you’re not high risk’ blah blah, in a really aggressive manner. Oh I can’t wait until he’s home 😂 I’ve mentioned before that during 2 lockdowns my son became verbally aggressive and I suffered severe anxiety and insomnia due to his abusive behaviour.

Before he left my husband explained to him that when he returns we are continuing to stay safe, it hasn’t just been for his trip and it’s our house decision to not mix in other peoples houses until cases start to come down a little. We know so many family and friends doing the same right now. Our son reluctantly agreed but I knew once back his aggression would start. I know it’s hard in teens and it’s why before this latest wave I put my children needs before myself and they did what they wanted, but if the advice is work from home and he is once he’s back. Why the heck would we risk him going to friends houses, cinema, nights out drinking etc I don’t think any of it makes sense. I’m nit vaccinated, my husband has asthma, so it’s a worry. I’ve been housebound for 4 years due to chronic illness and in the last 4 months I’ve started recovering so well, getting covid setting me back of course is a genuine concern. I always put my kids before myself but right now surely common sense is needed and that doesn’t make me selfish.

I didn’t sleep until 1.30am last night due to anxiety which I’ve not suffered in months as my sons been much calmer, now I’ve seen this side of him again it’s triggered me he’s going to return home and cause stress on all the family again and none of us want that.

No, I’m not going to lock him up before anyone suggests I tie my children to their beds and don’t let them leave their rooms 😂 It’s just a genuine question, with 200,000 cases a day I’m a tad concerned and confused. I don’t know what to do. Let him mix with every Tom, Dick or Harry and have covid in the house again? My daughters got long covid issues and she’s worried about getting it again, she’s dreading returning to school next week. I feel for her.

We’ve missed him but the last week has been so calm such and a nice atmosphere at home, my son said can he just stay in Iceland? Wicked sod 😂 Our eldest kicks off and causes an argument if you ask him to just wash his hands when he returns home, he would argue in an empty room 😕

Also, isn’t a day 2 pcr 2 days after you land? My son lands today and he said he can do his day 2 pcr tomorrow! Surely far too soon to pick up covid after a flight today?
Hi @ChineseAlan

I haven't caught up yet so apologies if I'm repeating anything that's already been said! I was about to reply to your post about him being in touch while away, as it sounded really heartwarming, knowing the difficulties you've had the last couple of years. I'm so sorry that you are all being put in this position yet again.

For what it's worth, I know there is no easy solution here, whatever decisions you make, someone will be upset/hurt. But I think there's a very big difference between the emotional and mental stress you are beginning to suffer again, and the angst of being a teen/young adult who wants their own way. Both for your own health, and for the long-term good of your son, though he won't see that right now.

Boundaries are going to be key here and there needs to be a clear line on what behaviours are acceptable. He will then need to make a decision - he either respects this and works with you and your husband to have a healthy relationship, or he finds alternative living arrangements and you take some proper space from one another.

I appreciate this may be hard to read, and I'm sorry to be so blunt. Unfortunately I was in a similar position as a 19 year old, but reverse. I lived with my Dad his wife and had a really difficult time, they didn't care about my physical or mental health and had completely unfair expectations of me. I had severe asthma and was in and out of hospital as medication wasn't helping keep it under control. Dad's wife was a heavy smoker and not only lied about only smoking outside but allowed heavy smoker relatives to stay in my room if I was at my Mom's for a weekend, despite me asking them not too (I had paid for my bed, mattress and all bedding). I was also in my first year of uni, working part-time and volunteering, yet they'd constantly go out drinking and/or have late night gatherings at home, expecting me to care for my unwell sister, including tube feeding, giving medication and dealing with behavioural issues alone. (I'd actually been expected to do a lot of this from 10). The last straw came when I got home from another a&e visit, went to get into bed to rest and my whole room stunk of cigarettes. I cried and asked why, and was verbally attacked by Dad's wife, because I was a "spoilt little witch" who needed to show her respect as I was under her roof. She got right up in my face, shouting and screaming nasty things before grabbing me. I'm still surprised she didn't hit me (wouldn't have been the first time), I had a complete panic attack and froze, before throwing up - because I'm such an attention-seeker of course... My Dad stood by and let it happen, before later on telling me he knew I hadn't done anything but I should apologise to his wife as she was upset. I'd adored my Dad despite being constantly let down by him, but I think this was the first time I realised I could love him and not like him at the same time.

I had no savings, was earning very little and stupidly didn't tell my Mom what had happened. But I knew I couldn't stay there. So I spoke to my manager and secured some extra shifts (plus she put through some holiday pay for me bless her) and was able to stay with a friend for a few weeks, before moving into private student accommodation. It was a really tough time, mentally and financially, and sadly I'm still dealing with the fall out 11 years on. I limited contact with them but still had to endure family gatherings etc., where they'd try and play happy families. I'd do whatever it took to get through and then be unwell with anxiety for days afterwards - it was only just before the pandemic I finally realised I needed to go completely no contact for my own mental health.

Sorry for the life story, just wanted to show that I really do empathise with the situation you are in and am not flippantly saying you need to make a decision. Sadly, from reading your posts, I fear you have limited options.

Sending lots of love and virtual hugs xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
A school near me is starting appointments for 12 - 16yr olds from the 7th. Appointments start once school ends, then carry on over the weekend, so this particular schools timetable, or students routine won't be affected luckily.
The school my son goes to administered them in one of the school halls. It was during the school day and lessons were interrupted because regardless on if you gave consent or not all children had to go to the hall so they stayed in their tutor group bubbles. Then the ones that didn't have consent were sent away.
I thought that a bit mean because there was almost a walk of shame for those kids being sent back out - my son being one of them. No way am I consenting!

Reactions: 5
[QUOTE="Brigitjonesbuttcheek, post: 7797018, member: 256465]

Covids on the way out. They are probably desperate to shift the rest of the vaccines before this all ends and they can only flog them to people that [\QUOTE]

Australia ordered 280 million doses for a population of 25 million. Enough for 11 doses for every man woman and child apparently.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.