Could you marry someone poor/minimum wage?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Id rather be content on a lower wage and driving a focus than looking down my nose at those that do.

We aren’t all materialistic and shallow. Some people are content with the smaller things in life.
Not looking down on anyone , I’m just stating the life I want and being honest about it and was curious about other peoples opinions

• Haha
Reactions: 3
What’s wrong with my attitude I’m just being honest on the type of life I desire and quite frankly I make no apologies for it !
the thought of wearing primark and driving a focus give you anxiety? And you wouldn’t want to be with someone earning, what I consider a decent wage. But it’s all about the money. Not falling in love and being with someone because of them. But by what their bank balance says

• Heart
Reactions: 16
What’s wrong with my attitude I’m just being honest on the type of life I desire and quite frankly I make no apologies for it !
The fact you’d potentially be on a date with someone and judge them when you see them turning up in a ford focus is what’s wrong with your attitude tbh. You don’t know what that person’s been through in life. Or maybe they are a secret millionaire and just don’t have a thing for flashy cars! It sounds quite entitled that you’d be expecting them to share their earnings and your tastes in fashion, holidays and cars as well, surely if you desire the lifestyle so much then you’d be willing to pay for it?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I’m not on the child free thread, as I have children, but can you elaborate on this a bit more for me? I’m not being arsey, I genuinely want to know whats Happened over there?
We got chatting about how people presume we are career women as we don’t want kids and a few of us said we didn’t want either.

This person basically decided to tell us that having kids is easier than working (as if we care) and then presumed we were all broke and tried to get smug… when in reality if you don’t have kids you tend to afford nice things whether you earn high or not… they just presumed we all earn 30k and drive a focus… I think I’d rather earn 30k and drive a focus than be that shallow and up my own my arse, but hey ho 💅

• Heart
Reactions: 30
That’s a bit of a generalised statement. Personally it’d take me a lot more than one or two missed pay checks to end up broke.

I personally like my lifestyle far too much to ever consider dating anyone on a low wage.
Like I said above, we take home just over £50k a year between us. If we didn’t get paid for one month, let alone 2, we would lose our house and be up to our eyeballs in debt

• Heart
Reactions: 8
We got chatting about how people presume we are career women as we don’t want kids and a few of us said we didn’t want either.

This person basically decided to tell us that having kids is easier than working (as if we care) and then presumed we were all broke and tried to get smug… when in reality if you don’t have kids you tend to afford nice things whether you earn high or not… they just presumed we all earn 30k and drive a focus… I think I’d rather earn 30k and drive a focus than be that shallow and up my own my arse, but hey ho 💅
Yer, I would have loads of money if I didn’t have kids, but here we are 😂 I probably still wouldn’t have ambition and would probably be on a job I hated it much worse!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Each to their own OP but bearing in mind the average salary in the UK floats around 30K and we are navigating a cost of living crisis, I count my blessings to have a secure income whatever that might be. I'm interested to know how you would feel about a change of circumstances ie if a high earning partner was suddenly made redundant and had to accept a lower paid role, would it change how you felt about them?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I’m not on the child free thread, as I have children, but can you elaborate on this a bit more for me? I’m not being arsey, I genuinely want to know whats Happened over there?
so basically a discussion happened over there regarding ambition (as women who are childfree tend to be labelled as career women) and many of us commented how we just work to get paid and the OP of this thread commented referencing childcare costs and how working is harder.
Someone replied with the statistics of childcare costs and say she'd rather drop that money on holiday and a bunch of others replied saying they didn't want responsibility. OP then left another comment saying how everyone is different and how some people are happy earning 30k and driving a ford focus (which I really see nothing wrong with ngl) Not sure how it escalated to this tbh :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Nothing just not a car I desire personally ! My first car was a Toyota though 🤦‍♀️🤭 , I have to admit , was reliable though just does not scream luxury!
My focus is nice and luxurious thanks very much. Has everything a Merc would have just without the fancy badges.
Bet you drive an Audi. (Explains a lot)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
If it's temporary maybe, if it's forever a low wage job and he has no ambition to progress then no. I have a very good income and need someone who would be able to match my lifestyle. I don't want to have disagreements about money and I don't want to financially support anyone longterm.

Reactions: 3
If it's temporary maybe, if it's forever a low wage job and he has no ambition to progress then no. I have a very good income and need someone who would be able to match my lifestyle. I don't want to have disagreements about money and I don't want to financially support anyone longterm.
But, realistically, £25k isn’t a low wage?

Reactions: 6

Not really shallow…. in fact I actually drove a Toyota as my first car ! It’s just that since I got the Range Rover from my husband I don’t want to drive anything smaller or less !
My focus is nice and luxurious thanks very much. Has everything a Merc would have just without the fancy badges.
Bet you drive an Audi. (Explains a lot)
Nope I drive a porsche…why what’s an Audi driver like ? 🤔🤭

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Not really shallow…. in fact I actually drove a Toyota as my first car ! It’s just that since I got the Range Rover from my husband I don’t want to drive anything smaller or less !

Nope I drive a porsche
Good for you. I’d rather be driving my Ford than a Range Rover my husband gave me.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Nope I drive a porsche…why what’s an Audi driver like ? 🤔🤭
Wow you’re actually embarrassing 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Are we on mumsnet? 😂

My partner earns minimum wage, he has his own business it's just not well paid. Doesn't bother me because I've got my own job and house and tbh having been married to someone who was ambitious to the detriment of our family that was a million times worse. Would I marry him? duck no, I have no intention of marrying anyone ever again. 😂

Reactions: 22
I have second hand embarrassment reading the posts by the OP...

• Haha
Reactions: 30
so basically a discussion happened over there regarding ambition (as women who are childfree tend to be labelled as career women) and many of us commented how we just work to get paid and the OP of this thread commented referencing childcare costs and how working is harder.
Someone replied with the statistics of childcare costs and say she'd rather drop that money on holiday and a bunch of others replied saying they didn't want responsibility. OP then left another comment saying how everyone is different and how some people are happy earning 30k and driving a ford focus (which I really see nothing wrong with ngl) Not sure how it escalated to this tbh :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I’d just feel lucky I had a job and a wage. And of course I’d love to drop money on a holiday and I don’t even have to pay for childcare 😂

Reactions: 5
Again was just being honest, don’t care too much on what other people think or how they want to live - child free / earn 30k a year until their 50 etc … I’m just giving my opinion on how I like to live and was just curious to hear other peoples life goals …(btw I actually owned a Toyota as a first car !)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.