Could you marry someone poor/minimum wage?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interesting, the only couples j nknow with big salary gaps are always the men earning more and usually couples with children so the woman does more childcare. Does anyone know any couples that do the opposite?
I earn considerably more than my partner of 10 years and we don’t have children.

ETA However, he does want to increase his income and is on a career path to do this.

Reactions: 2
You have to think about the whole picture. Would your partner earning that money cause other issue such as arguments about money/ambition? Would that money be enough to afford you the life you want/have now? Myself and my husband were probably earning similar to that when we first got together but now earn a bit more which lets us do the things we like doing without too much worry about bills etc.

Interesting, the only couples j nknow with big salary gaps are always the men earning more and usually couples with children so the woman does more childcare. Does anyone know any couples that do the opposite?
The only couple I know where the woman was a much higher earner it ended in tears.

She was on about 40k plus overtime as project manager. He was self employed in a creative self employed role. Never earned enough to pay tax. He also wasn't ambitious so some days he would just stay in bed or smoke weed instead of making any money.

Ended with them splitting up and her paying him an agreed sum monthly to buy him out of the house.

No. I enjoy travelling to far flung destinations with my partner, it's one of my main hobbies, probably my biggest. If my partner was on minimum wage he likely couldn't afford to go with me so I'd have to strike a line through my hobby and get bored.

I own my home outright with my current partner. It's spacious and in a well off area. We are both in well paid jobs so had similar earning power to stump up cash and get a moderate sized mortgage which we've now paid off and we are both in our 30s. If my partner was on minimum wage I don't think all that would have been possible.

Reactions: 1
Honest opinions please and no judgement given … Could you marry someone or be someone who was poor / earned minimum wage or say just above it and they have no intentions/ambitions of bettering themselves? Eg. will probably be earning 25k a year by the time they’re I their 40s working full time. I’d love to hear honest opinions rather these PC answers… does wealth and more importantly lack of ambition bother you when looking for a partner?
I did, he was unemployed at the time as had just finished uni. I wasn't bothered by the money or lack thereof. I was earning a decent amount at the time and it was personality and our friendship that mattered more. I wanted to be with him no matter what and he felt the same. He got a job about a month later and has since climbed in his profession whilst I left to become a carer. He earns more than me now. We've been married with kids for 15 years now and still very happy with each other. Whilst I think it's important to have financial independence and some sort of income it's also not the be all and end all. Things can change very quickly.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
25K is not minimum wage. I earn just over 26K as a copywriter late 30's and do not consider myself 'poor'. Care and nursery staff earn far less than this and have demanding roles. Ambition is attractive but in all honestly I care more that my partner has a good work ethic in general and is happy in what they do. People shouldn't be defined by their wages.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
25k isn’t minimum wage or at least it isn’t outside of London.
I believe it’s about 21.5k a year for the new minimum wage.

And to answer, no it wouldn’t bother me and yes I’d marry someone on minimum wage.

I’ll be honest. I’m currently in a job earning a low wage.
It’s a full time 9-5 office job. I work hard in my job, it’s just poorly paid with not many prospects for progression. I stay because it’s the job where I’ve received the least amount of bad treatment, I stay because my anxiety is terrible and I’m scared of going elsewhere and being bullied again.

If overtime is offered, I’ll take it. I have a degree. I have hobbies. I have interests. I also have crippling mental health problems & a mentally unstable mother to support.

My work life balance is also good in this job. I think I’d have a mental breakdown working in a job with more responsibilities. I want to try and relax at the weekend, not constantly think of work.

But if my husband decided tomorrow to take a minimum wage job, that would be fine. We would manage. (No kids)

Bottom line is… I don’t earn a low wage because I don’t have ambition or drive or because I’m not a hard worker! My own mind holds me back, it’s nothing to do with being lazy!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
The salary wouldn't be the main issue - it would be the lack of ambition or drive.

I have married someone on 25k with no ambition to progress and, I can't lie, I hate it. I earn more but that doesn't matter, its the lack of drive or ambition that I hate. I am a workaholic though and have grown up with a role model of fierce work ethic.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh and I’m presuming you’re asking this because of what you saw on the child free thread, seeing as you threw shade at people who were happy to earn 30k and drive a focus…

A few of us over there might not want a career, that doesn’t mean we lack ambition. It’s always more complex than that.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Currently divorcing my partner who earns minimum wage. It was not a problem before we had kids. Then I resented having to be the main earner plus carry the weight of the mental load. It was having to do both that was the problem for me.

Reactions: 5
Interesting responses , so personally I’m going to be completely honest I like money (
earning it myself) and nice things , so I personally would struggle to marry someone who a did not have the same mindset and say would be content earning 25-30k a year in their 40s and say they just wanted to go a magaluf for a holiday and drive a Ford focus / Skoda and wear clothes from primark all the time … the thought of it gives me anxiety loool
---
Oh and I’m presuming you’re asking this because of what you saw on the child free thread, seeing as you threw shade at people who were happy to earn 30k and drive a focus…

A few of us over there might not want a career, that doesn’t mean we lack ambition. It’s always more complex than that.
Not criticising people who are happy to earn that and drive a Ford focus ( or any other average car) but I just don’t desire to live that life myself personally that’s all , I’m just curious to hear others opinions on financial / lifestyle goals

• Wow
  • Sick

I’m not on the child free thread, as I have children, but can you elaborate on this a bit more for me? I’m not being arsey, I genuinely want to know whats Happened over there?

Interesting responses , so personally I’m going to be completely honest I like money (
earning it myself) and nice things , so I personally would struggle to marry someone who a did not have the same mindset and say would be content earning 25-30k a year in their 40s and say they just wanted to go a magaluf for a holiday and drive a Ford focus / Skoda and wear clothes from primark all the time … the thought of it gives me anxiety loool
---

Not criticising people who are happy to earn that and drive a Ford focus ( or any other average car) but I just don’t desire to live that life myself personally that’s all , I’m just curious to hear others opinions on financial / lifestyle goals
Maybe it’s not about being content, but the fact there isn’t many jobs offering more out there. My husband is on just above £30k a year and I’m on £25k a year. We have 5 children between us, and tbh, I’d rather be driving a focus/holidays to magaluf and wearing clothes from primark than have an attitude like yours

• Heart
Reactions: 36
---

Id rather be content on a lower wage and driving a focus than looking down my nose at those that do.

We aren’t all materialistic and shallow. Some people are content with the smaller things in life.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
---
In this economy, everyone is 1 or 2 paychecks away from being utterly broke.
I'd start getting used to primark clothes if I were you, life has a way of humbling people very quickly. And money doesn't last as long when you're shopping in selfridges instead of primark.
---
Ps, my focus was my most reliable car 😉

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Maybe it’s not about being content, but the fact there isn’t many jobs offering more out there. My husband is on just above £30k a year and I’m on £25k a year. We have 5 children between us, and tbh, I’d rather be driving a focus/holidays to magaluf and wearing clothes from primark than have an attitude like yours
What’s wrong with my attitude I’m just being honest on the type of life I desire and quite frankly I make no apologies for it !

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 3
In this economy, everyone is 1 or 2 paychecks away from being utterly broke.
I'd start getting used to primark clothes if I were you, life has a way of humbling people very quickly. And money doesn't last as long when you're shopping in selfridges instead of primark.
---
Ps, my focus was my most reliable car 😉
That’s a bit of a generalised statement. Personally it’d take me a lot more than one or two missed pay checks to end up broke.

I personally like my lifestyle far too much to ever consider dating anyone on a low wage.

• Sick
  • Haha
I married someone who earned badly & claimed to have ambitions to do better. Turned out he was a lying tit, had no intention of bettering himself & was pushing for us to have kids so he could stay home & look after them ( despite me already having a child & him being well aware that I only wanted more kids if I wasn’t rushing back to work when they were 6 months old again).
Anyway, I’d be wary of such a person again, not saying I wouldn’t do it, but there’s a lot more to consider than their current financial situation and claims to ambition.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.