Could you marry someone poor/minimum wage?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not to go OT but clearly doing just that, is dunking your junk after sex really a thing?!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Me and my husband don’t earn great money, £30k each, but through living within our means and not to our means (if that makes sense) we’ve managed to build healthy savings and nearly pay off our mortgage on our nice but not “insta worthy” 4 bed. I wear primark and kids wear supermarket clothes/second hand bundles from marketplace but I’ve also just bought a givenchy handbag. I go UK caravan holidays because paying 4K for a family holiday abroad makes me want to vom. I appreciate nice cars but I drive a 7 year old Citroen….I guess what im trying to say is each to their own surely?

yes, I could get a job paying a good 10k more but im happy in my work, I’ve a fab work/life balance and I think that is better for my mental wellbeing than climbing the corporate ladder in search of a fatter salary. I also respect those that do strive for bigger and better things. As I said, each to their own

Reactions: 8
I was lucky enough to go to a private secondary school. I passed an entrance exam and because of our low income, I got a bursary towards the fees. My dad earned minimum wage as a delivery driver and my mum was a SAHM. They scrimped and saved to ensure I could go to that school, and we didn't have a single holiday while I was there. I have two younger sisters, one failed the entrance exam and one didn't even want to try. They both went to local schools and still went onto university.

A girl I was at school with recently came to work in my company, as my manager. Her family are well off yet we're both still working in a job with people who have come straight from school. When I look at other people I went to school with, they're currently doing all types of jobs, as are the people my sisters went to school with. I see no difference.

Unless my child asked, I wouldn't consider a private school for them. I don't think it's made a huge difference to my life and it didn't give me any opportunities that my sisters didn't have.
This thread is way more interesting than i thought it would be 🤣 i have been to both state and private and definitely think the state one was better, not just in terms of education but in terms of the people you meet, the private school I went to was a religious one which basically meant for years my entire social circle were people from the same religion

Reactions: 6
My friends son goes to private school with a couple of “celebrity” children and the one-up manship is just unreal. another goes to school with several kids of a locally known “crime” family who they are all a bit scared of I think. Not everyone who has money is “nice” and softly softly middle class into boden, Waitrose and the like. By the very nature of it there are some absolute arseholes that have money.

• Heart
Doing something you love its great but ultimately I still think you need to think of finances and for you future , are you happy to work until your practically dead (no one will be able live off the state pension that’s even if there will be one in future or unless your going to inherit enough ) , also you need atleast a million budget to live somewhere half decent that’s close enough to London ( for a 4 bed family home in a nice area) , depends what you want in life but nice house, nice car , holidays and private school fees ( all fairly normal and fair goals people aspire to have ) all add up financially and just being in a job that makes you happy , with no real long term earning potential won’t get you that !
Why do you care so much? Maybe you should keep your snobby beak out of other people’s business and mind your own? Does it affect you if some people work until they die?
I feel you’re the kind of person who steps over someone in the street and looks down your nose at them just because they’ve been unfortunate or you look down at the low paid person in the supermarket that’s serving you.

ultimately, a lot of nurses are low paid, but they’re going to the ones that help save your life in an emergency. Care workers are low paid, but they’re gonna be the ones that are feeding you with a spoon when you’re too old to do it yourself.

dont look down your nose at others, especially not when you were once in their position and could be again someday.

Who’s to say what’s a nice house? Who’s to say what’s a nice car? You’re so up your own arse it’s untrue. And the really sad thing is that you probably think most on here are making these comments because they aspire to have what you have… believe me, most on this thread probably do have what you have and more besides, but they stay humble and they have more because they have decency and respect.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Nope had the Toyota from my teens to t
No and quite frankly I would be happy to just drive a 10-15k car, it’s just more as my husband wanted it too, also I know my threads getting lots of hate but I’m just being honest … plus alot of it I think is to do with what you are used to being around, this area of Buckinghamshire where I now live has quite alot of wealthy people with nice things who work hard and generally quite ambitious with their careers or businesses … compared to where I grew up in London and the circles I used to hang around , in fact I don’t think hardly anyone I went to school with earns more than 30k some I think may even be on benefits / council housing.
This is an interesting comment from you. From what I’ve read in this thread it seems you wouldn’t be happy being the highest earner in your relationship, you seem to be very happy being the lower earner. Yet at the same time, you say you don’t like partners who aren’t ambitious yet that seems to be what you’re displaying yourself.

Does that mean you don’t have any ambition and are unlikely to ever strive to earn more than your current partner? And if so, do you believe that’s an unattractive thing?

You’ve been very lucky to find a partner who isn’t attracted to the same things you are, otherwise you’d be totally out of their league.
FWIW, I’d rather take the train than be at risk of having my Range Rover removed when my partner changed their mind. I’m not, of course, wishing that on you.

Reactions: 11
I can only think that the OP is either a troll or very deluded and shallow. Obviously nobody in their right mind would want to be with (let alone marry) somebody who was a lazy waste of space but it would never matter to me how much they actually earned so long as we could manage ok. A few years ago (pre covid) we were both working long hours for quite good money (well above National wage) but had no time to enjoy it and we’re tired and stressed all the time. We have both cut back a lot (I now only work part time) and the health benefits have been incredible meaning I am sleeping better and generally able to enjoy my life. I’ll be able to continue working at this level for much longer rather than pushing myself into an early grave. Money does not buy happiness and you can get a lot of pleasure out of non materialistic things. I see my husband and myself as part of a team, working together, not as somebody who would buy me pretty things and put me on a pedestal which sounds ridiculous.
I’m not a troll im just stating the things I desire in life !
I have to say, I'm really enjoying other fellow bird species joining in on this thread. Attenborough would be proud.
Also as a previous poster said, materialist things will provide pleasure,… temporarily until the next new thing comes out… imagine constantly chasing for new things for some sort of self worth/validation.

The OP said she couldn't be without 3 “decent” holidays a year (to keep her sane) and to me, that screams “I’m unhappy”… I bloody love a UK caravan holiday and appreciate the pretty corners this country has to offer. I’ve worked across the world and I’ve been lucky enough to holiday in some breautiful places, and I still find myself wanting to be within the U.K. 😂
nothing
Lol out of interest OP, how much money do you earn yourself?
About 50k at the moment after advertising costs , it’s a part time lifestyle business for me as I have my child now (not MLM) , I do it around my child but my ambition and goal is it to grow it further once she starts nursery the ultimate goal is a six figure lifestyle business and in the longer term (10 year plan) grow it further to sell for enough money as part of my retirement for the future . My husband is the main earner in our household by far , fortunately most of my income is mostly disposable but I am saving and investing for the future which I think is so important no matter what you earn ( I believe everyone should aim to have at least a years salary put away just in case of a rainy day/emergencies and I think this is something we should now teach in schools ) , anyway to be honest a six figure household income is not enough these days after the ridiculous amount of tax you have to pay especially living London / Bucks and if you want to have a nice lifestyle 😡 … I also like eating out a lot ( but I don’t go into Mayfair/ central london so much now as I have little one so that’s helped me save more), and I like holidays nothing wrong with UK breaks if it’s in a nice place with nice accommodation ( not sure I could do camping though! ) but I just find the weather unpredictable here and it is nice to just get out the country I think a few times a year if you can , my biggest expenses are eating out , holidays , and other little things like nails and hair and Botox lool but all adds up , I’m actually not too fussed about designer clothes ( and yes I hate big labels that show, I do think that’s tacky unless your a footballer or sports person ) but I admit I love designer handbags ! In short , we are not super rich in case anyone is wondering, but I would say top 10% as a household income, his family though are millionaires with multiple assets so he will inherit a fair bit. I would actually class myself as quite down to earth I just like luxury things and I like talking about money and goals as does my husband he is extremely driven to be financially successful. I don’t need a Ferrari / Lamborghini but I don’t want to go back to having a basic car, I’m not criticising anyone else who maybe happy to drive a Ford / Skoda etc , I just would not really want to go back to that personally and nothing wrong with low paid work if that’s what people do I would just struggle to have the lifestyle I wanted, if to say we earned say a joint income of 50k a year as a family
---
Why do you care so much? Maybe you should keep your snobby beak out of other people’s business and mind your own? Does it affect you if some people work until they die?
I feel you’re the kind of person who steps over someone in the street and looks down your nose at them just because they’ve been unfortunate or you look down at the low paid person in the supermarket that’s serving you.

ultimately, a lot of nurses are low paid, but they’re going to the ones that help save your life in an emergency. Care workers are low paid, but they’re gonna be the ones that are feeding you with a spoon when you’re too old to do it yourself.

dont look down your nose at others, especially not when you were once in their position and could be again someday.

Who’s to say what’s a nice house? Who’s to say what’s a nice car? You’re so up your own arse it’s untrue. And the really sad thing is that you probably think most on here are making these comments because they aspire to have what you have… believe me, most on this thread probably do have what you have and more besides, but they stay humble and they have more because they have decency and respect.
Ffs I think your over thinking it now , yes who’s to say what’s a nice car mayb

not true I don’t care so long as people work and are not expecting to live off benefits their whole life (unless they are genuinely sick) , my point is the lifestyle people want and if you think you can be happy earning minimum wage / lower paid work and if you would be happy to be with someone who was content with that , I’m not bragging about anything I’m just responding to the person asked if I drive an Audi !

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
The bloke who runs our local chippy is raking it in, he's raised the price of chips to £1.50 a bag. That must be about 30p profit on each portion!!!
No wonder the grasping bastard can afford to swan about in a G-reg Datsun

• Haha

nothing

About 50k at the moment after advertising costs , it’s a part time lifestyle business for me as I have my child now (not MLM) , I do it around my child but my ambition and goal is it to grow it further once she starts nursery the ultimate goal is a six figure lifestyle business and in the longer term (10 year plan) grow it further to sell for enough money as part of my retirement for the future . My husband is the main earner in our household by far , fortunately most of my income is mostly disposable but I am saving and investing for the future which I think is so important no matter what you earn ( I believe everyone should aim to have at least a years salary put away just in case of a rainy day/emergencies and I think this is something we should now teach in schools ) , anyway to be honest a six figure household income is not enough these days after the ridiculous amount of tax you have to pay especially living London / Bucks and if you want to have a nice lifestyle 😡 … I also like eating out a lot ( but I don’t go into Mayfair/ central london so much now as I have little one so that’s helped me save more), and I like holidays nothing wrong with UK breaks if it’s in a nice place with nice accommodation ( not sure I could do camping though! ) but I just find the weather unpredictable here and it is nice to just get out the country I think a few times a year if you can , my biggest expenses are eating out , holidays , and other little things like nails and hair and Botox lool but all adds up , I’m actually not too fussed about designer clothes ( and yes I hate big labels that show, I do think that’s tacky unless your a footballer or sports person ) but I admit I love designer handbags ! In short , we are not super rich in case anyone is wondering, but I would say top 10% as a household income, his family though are millionaires with multiple assets so he will inherit a fair bit. I would actually class myself as quite down to earth I just like luxury things and I like talking about money and goals as does my husband he is extremely driven to be financially successful. I don’t need a Ferrari / Lamborghini but I don’t want to go back to having a basic car, I’m not criticising anyone else who maybe happy to drive a Ford / Skoda etc , I just would not really want to go back to that personally and nothing wrong with low paid work if that’s what people do I would just struggle to have the lifestyle I wanted, if to say we earned say a joint income of 50k a year as a family
---

not true I don’t care so long as people work and are not expecting to live off benefits their whole life (unless they are genuinely sick) , my point is the lifestyle people want and if you think you can be happy earning minimum wage / lower paid work and if you would be happy to be with someone who was content with that , I’m not bragging about anything I’m just responding to the person asked if I drive an Audi !
I live in a London borough and 5 figure some is just enough 😂 and we have some disposable income. Although we can’t save a years income, but hey, who can?
Still. Would rather be skint and happy and watch my children grow up and not stick them in a nursery when I didn’t have to. If I was getting £50k for part time working, my kids would never be in nursery 😂

Reactions: 4
@latranla respectfully, I have to say you’d bore me to tears. It sounds like your lifestyle is very materialistic, superficial and is one which isn’t sustainable on your income alone.
Im sad that with all the wealth you display you don’t mention the arts or anything remotely cultural, instead it’s Botox, nails, designer brands and a car bought from the efforts of someone else’s toil. It sounds like you’re really happy but it’s a lifestyle I’d never aspire to. I prefer culture, conversations and the arts. And my earnings are similar to yours, btw.
your lifestyle to me sounds like all style and no substance. I’m glad it’s unlikely our paths won’t cross.
I think you should have named the thread: did you luck out and marry a rich man like I did?

• Heart
Reactions: 29

nothing

---

Over thinking what? I don’t need to over think anything because you’ve made your points perfectly clear. You’ve literally said that the thought of wearing primark would give you anxiety and you’d prefer your car to have “luxury”.

you’re now trying to back track on everything you’ve said. Even though you’ve just admitted you only earn 50k yourself and most of your money comes from your husband. Embarrassing or what.

I don’t even believe half of what you’re saying about yourself or your husband. You sound like a fantasist.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I think the question in general is whether you're actually happy with them.

I'd personally rather be with a guy who's a 'low earner' but treats me well, has good morals that align with mine, I can have fun with and is respectful and respectable than a millionaire who is an arse wipe. Do I want to struggle on by in life? no. But I'd rather live within my means with a good man who's company I enjoy than have a bunch of stuff with head or someone I didn't like. I could not be one of those women who's husband has an affair or hates him but stays/has sex with him cause they like the lifestyle. I'm not judging cause crack on but that couldn't be me.

• Heart
In my experience anyone who is adamant they don’t do MLM is actually 100% doing MLM 😂 just dressed up in a different way

• Haha
Reactions: 22
God, agree with a PP this is all very mumsnet. Heading back to the secret gossip thread now to talk about rimming 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
@latranla respectfully, I have to say you’d bore me to tears. It sounds like your lifestyle is very materialistic, superficial and is one which isn’t sustainable on your income alone.
Im sad that with all the wealth you display you don’t mention the arts or anything remotely cultural, instead it’s Botox, nails, designer brands and a car bought from the efforts of someone else’s toil. It sounds like you’re really happy but it’s a lifestyle I’d never aspire to. I prefer culture, conversations and the arts. And my earnings are similar to yours, btw.
your lifestyle to me sounds like all style and no substance. I’m glad it’s unlikely our paths won’t cross.
I think you should have named the thread: did you luck out and marry a rich man like I did?
Agree,does this thread remind anyone of the 2000s tv show wife swap? 🤣🤣

• Haha

nothing

---

There is so much wrong with what you have written, you might not realise it but the tone of entitlement and sneery nature of your choice of words is awful. Also, to say that you don't think you're high maintenance but the things you list show that you clearly are. Your priorities that you state are all superficial things like botox, hair & make up, nice cars, holidays etc. You mention you have a child (possibly more, not sure) but never mention anything about enjoying doing things with the child, you know, just spending time with them. Some of my favourite memories as a child were doing things like going down the allotment with my grandad or baking with my mum and nan. I know I went on holidays too but they're not the strong happy memories. Your kid won't give a shite about all this stuff restaurants are boring to kids and and eating a normal meal as a family rather than eating out would be far healthier too. I suspect that we'd have very little in common and, assuming you really aren't a troll then I feel sad for you. As somebody else said, if you feel the need to escape from the UK so often and buy all this superficial stuff then it really doesn't sound like you're in a happy place in you life. I am however comforted by the many many posts on this thread that reflect my view of life far more than yours. It's also a good job that everybody isn't as materialistic as you too otherwise our hospitals and care homes would be in an even worse state than they are currently but based on what you've said you think that nurses and carers simply lack ambition and aren't worth anything. You're really not coming over well and if this isn't what you intend then maybe think about your words otherwise people are going to just assume you're a overprivileged diva.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.