Could you marry someone poor/minimum wage?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have to say, I'm really enjoying other fellow bird species joining in on this thread. Attenborough would be proud.
Also as a previous poster said, materialist things will provide pleasure,… temporarily until the next new thing comes out… imagine constantly chasing for new things for some sort of self worth/validation.

The OP said she couldn't be without 3 “decent” holidays a year (to keep her sane) and to me, that screams “I’m unhappy”… I bloody love a UK caravan holiday and appreciate the pretty corners this country has to offer. I’ve worked across the world and I’ve been lucky enough to holiday in some breautiful places, and I still find myself wanting to be within the U.K. 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Nothing wrong with second hand if it’s quaintly stuff, primark is fine for lounge wear etc just not something I’d personally want to be in all the time though and if going somewhere nice , I love designer bags though and some do actually go up
In value
My most expensive bag is a bag from guess and that was a present.

Designer bags don't appeal to me. They are so easily faked now its unreal and I'd be really annoyed if I spent 2k on a bag only to see other people walking around with the same bag that cost them £4 on wish 😂 That's just me though.

Reactions: 8

Designer bags don't appeal to me. They are so easily faked now its unreal and I'd be really annoyed if I spent 2k on a bag only to see other people walking around with the same bag that cost them £4 on wish 😂 That's just me though.
bleeping tell me about it! 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I have to say, I'm really enjoying other fellow bird species joining in on this thread. Attenborough would be proud.
Also as a previous poster said, materialist things will provide pleasure,… temporarily until the next new thing comes out… imagine constantly chasing for new things for some sort of self worth/validation.

The OP said she couldn't be without 3 “decent” holidays a year (to keep her sane) and to me, that screams “I’m unhappy”… I bloody love a UK caravan holiday and appreciate the pretty corners this country has to offer. I’ve worked across the world and I’ve been lucky enough to holiday in some breautiful places, and I still find myself wanting to be within the U.K. 😂
What really gets me is who gets to decide a UK caravan holiday isn’t decent anyway? A holiday is a holiday, I’d rather be in a caravan exploring Wales with my family than in Dubai dressed head to toe in designer labels and eating whatever pretentious shite that those who look down on Primark and driving a Ford Focus deem worthy for their ‘I’m better than you’ tummies!

• Heart
Reactions: 17

I got myself a designer bag thanks to getting a voucher from work at Christmas. One of my most expensive purchases, but it was nice to do something for me for once. It does make me feel sick that it was over £100 and I can pretty much buy the same size/colour from primark for £5 😂
---
What really gets me is who gets to decide a UK caravan holiday isn’t decent anyway? A holiday is a holiday, I’d rather be in a caravan exploring Wales with my family than in Dubai dressed head to toe in designer labels and eating whatever pretentious shite that those who look down on Primark and driving a Ford Focus deem worthy for their ‘I’m better than you’ tummies!
We are going to the caravan in the summer holidays, and it is the kids best holidays

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Dubai looks absolutely hideous! I mean I'm sure it's nice in places but it just looks full of chavs with money.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Are we on mumsnet? 😂

My partner earns minimum wage, he has his own business it's just not well paid. Doesn't bother me because I've got my own job and house and tbh having been married to someone who was ambitious to the detriment of our family that was a million times worse. Would I marry him? duck no, I have no intention of marrying anyone ever again. 😂
-Has the six figure salary been mentioned?
-Someone been told to LTB or “get your ducks in a row”?
-Has the discussion moved on to things middle class people do that are actually common.
-Penis beakers mentioned which only posh people have.

• Haha
  • Heart
Lol I’m not just becoming completely honest I think too honest now … it’s getting to people , feel like I’ve pissed off aload of hardcore lefties or something. !
Lol out of interest OP, how much money do you earn yourself?

Reactions: 3
We only had caravan holidays as a child and I loved them. I'll be honest, I was a bit snobby about them as an adult but last year saw someone mention about them being dog friendly. For £159 we had 4 nights in a caravan in the lake district, 2 adults and 2 dogs! We only really use our accommodation as a base to explore the local area, so why does it matter if we're paying that much for 1 night in an air bnb or our whole holiday. It has a bed, a tv and a cooker - what more do you want?

• Heart
Reactions: 10

I think holidays are what you make them. The best holidays I've had were ones that I enjoyed because of the company/what we did. I went to Malta one year and it was amazing, it was stunning and I ate some lovely food, equally I went to cornwall for 4 days and had just as much fun

• Heart
My husband was in the top earners and due to circumstances out of his control, he lost his job during covid. He completely changed his career and started from the bottom. It took 3 months until he was promoted because he works hard, but he is still earning significantly less then he was. Do I love him any less? Absolutely not. I love him more. He sees our kids more, he is happier and he doesn't work all the hours god sends anymore. The fact he is happy and with us more makes me happier than his salary ever did.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This thread honestly 🤦🏻‍♀️

We are in a “minimum wage” family, I’m 32 and have gone back to uni to train to be a nurse. My husband is self employed and has a small business with his dad. We have a 15 month old who wants for nothing, and dressed head to toe in primark and sainsburys.

We laugh everyday, we are excited for our annual Cornwall caravan trip. If someone asked me what my dream car was, I wouldn’t even know where to start as I literally couldn’t give a monkeys as long as it drove and it was safe.

I feel like I’ve won the lottery of life and it’s never had anything to do with the amount of money I or my husband earns. I would never ever swap this for a Rangerover or a designer bag, not in a million years.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Dubai looks absolutely hideous! I mean I'm sure it's nice in places but it just looks full of chavs with money.
I cant stand Dubai! I went with work when I worked in corporate events so we had a real luxury experience but the whole place screams new money and fake and it’s disgusting how they treat the overseas workers who actually built that city up and continue to work in the hotels and restaurants. I’ve had better times camping in Wales!

It’s not even about having to wear primark for a lot of us, I just choose to wear primark! I can afford to, I just actually don’t want to waste money on fancy clothes!
I definitely went through the phrase where everything had to be designer when I was a teen, thankfully as a adult I grew out of it, tbh no one knows if what you are wearing is £5 or £5000, the only way they are going to know is if the name is splattered over the front of it which to me is more the "cheaper" brands that do it, top class brands hardly have anything on them to say they are top class so no one is going to know, for me I agree I wear premark because I like the clothes, same as I'll wear new look or treat myself to river island cause who's going know where they come from

• Heart
Reactions: 5
-Has the six figure salary been mentioned?
-Someone been told to LTB or “get your ducks in a row”?
-Has the discussion moved on to things middle class people do that are actually common.
-Penis beakers mentioned which only posh people have.
Thought you said penis breakers and I was off to google. Although it look like I may also need to google penis beakers, as I’m not posh enough to know what it is 😂
---
I feel like I’ve won the lottery of life
I love this, SO much 😍

• Haha
  • Heart
Thought you said penis breakers and I was off to google. Although it look like I may also need to google penis beakers, as I’m not posh enough to know what it is 😂
It comes from this thread which made the classics : Though it does come from the same people who always sit and ask if they should go to A&E whilst the child is turning blue. ;)

1676895843594.png

• Sick
  • Haha
This thread honestly 🤦🏻‍♀️

We are in a “minimum wage” family, I’m 32 and have gone back to uni to train to be a nurse. My husband is self employed and has a small business with his dad. We have a 15 month old who wants for nothing, and dressed head to toe in primark and sainsburys.

We laugh everyday, we are excited for our annual Cornwall caravan trip. If someone asked me what my dream car was, I wouldn’t even know where to start as I literally couldn’t give a monkeys as long as it drove and it was safe.

I feel like I’ve won the lottery of life and it’s never had anything to do with the amount of money I or my husband earns. I would never ever swap this for a Rangerover or a designer bag, not in a million years.
That is the most important thing. I feel the same way in my relationship with my partner and its always been like that. We smile, laugh and joke everyday and after all these years we are still best friends regardless. Two weeks ago we went for a drive round the coast, got fish & chips & ate it in the car then went into the amusements were he won me a key ring lol, that is happiness, the simple things in life 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Really loving this thread, now in my 50s I have come to realise if you don’t have your health you have nothing 💖

• Heart
Reactions: 25
As for ‘private schools’ being ‘where most people aspire to send their children’ don’t make me laugh.
I went to a state school (single sex faith school) that, along with its partner boys school, had consistently better results than the most local private school and beat some of the other private schools in the area.

Ah yes- you work from home. Are you an MLM hun with ‘your own business’ then? 😉I WFH as well… in a real job 😉

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.