Could you marry someone poor/minimum wage?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have had ‘tiny dancer’ in my head since yesterday because of your username 😂😂
Omg 🤣🤣 that’s where it came from to be fair, my husband sings all song words wrong and when I was signing up for here he was singing that song, but wrong obviously 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Serious question for the OP.

Say you were single and on a first date, would you ask for their salary upfront? Because 99% of men would run a mile if you did.
Or how long would you be committed to dating until you found out his salary? Say it was a year down the line and you were in love, what would you do?
You can tell that you live off someone else’s money as your grammar is atrocious!
For what it’s worth, the next village to us is Millionaire’s Row. There’s serious, serious money there. The kind of money that you probably still aspire to. I’m talking very very high end cars and multiples of them, not the Chelsea Tractor you drive that are ten a penny. There’s housing a little bit further out that’s also into the millions. Until recently there was a current England Rugby international living round here.

There’s a fair amount of money here but there’s also a lot of tradespeople. And I know from my line of work that tradespeople can make one heck of a lot of money (although some more than others) No doubt you would look down on them but blimey, I tell you what, sometimes I think I’m in the wrong job here.
It’s not just all about being ambitious with ‘careers and businesses’ desperate people will pay more for an emergency plumber, electrician or roofer than they will for some emergency business support or marketing.

And so what if none of your old friends earn more than 30k? At least they have the self respect of earning their own money and not living off someone else.
I don’t actually, while yes my husband is the highest earner, I do work from home as it’s flexible work , as we have a child
---
Wow.

So keeping up with the Jones for you? Bucks isn't any fancier than pockets of elsewhere fwiw. Where I live one side of the street is Housing Association properties and the other is £1m+ houses. Same in London. I grew up in a 'ghetto' as many called it, but down the back roads, you had sought after £m+ houses owned by the rich. Location means duck all.

A lot of people, working people, are receiving benefit top ups to survive the cost of living. Its really not an alien concept that they 'may even be on benefits'.
Totally agree you can live in a nice area and then be right next to a tit hole down the road especially in London … where I live Slough is actually quite close , and probably the biggest tit hole area in Bucks (Milton Keynes too not but that’s a lot further )

in fact I don’t think hardly anyone I went to school with earns more than 30k some I think may even be on benefits / council housing.
"May even be on benefits/council housing" 🙈

I've a question for the OP; if the person you were in a relationship with was just a "poor" peasant earning below minimum wage and they, I dunno, won the lottery or came into a large amount of inheritence, would that make them more attractive to you? And likewise, if they earned a large salary and then lost their job, would you stay with them?

For me, as for lots of posters on this thread, it's about ambition, drive and enjoying your job. I earn not very much but love my job. My OH earns a big salary and is very driven and also loves his job - winwin - but if he developed a passion for something that earned him a lower wage and wanted a career change I would support that 100%. As I think most people with half a brain and heart would.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Oh my god 😂

My DH has a good job. He grew up pretty poor, I with a fairly rich but very very tight dad. Until we hit our early 40s we spent very little because we wanted to save and invest having never had that safety net previously so whilst others around us were buying fancy cars etc and bending their flexible friend we were rocking our toyotas and primark pieces. We’re pretty financially secure now but I certainly don’t think it’s out of the realms of possibilities that we have to change our lifestyle so I never take it for granted. It’s been a rocky road at times as his job has caused numerous stresses on our relationship and he’s missed quite a lot of our children growing up as he’s away often.

I drive a very lovely fancy 4x4 now- that I’ve crashed into out gate post twice. The second time I was given a Ford Fiesta as a courtesy car. I loved that little thing and already said that’s what I’m having next. I couldn’t give a tit as long as it’s reliable 🤣 I have money to buy designer shoes and bags and do often treat myself but still love a primark shop and don’t think I’ll ever stop looking for a bargain.

I would probably struggle with a lack of ambition rather than a low salary personally. However my ideal partner would be one that is DIY proficient 😂 you can keep the Porsche that’s the holy grail 😂

Reactions: 1
"May even be on benefits/council housing" 🙈

I've a question for the OP; if the person you were in a relationship with was just a "poor" peasant earning below minimum wage and they, I dunno, won the lottery or came into a large amount of inheritence, would that change how much you loved them? And likewise, if they earned a large salary and then lost their job, would you stay with them?

For me, as for lots of posters on this thread, it's about ambition, drive and enjoying your job. I earn not very much but love my job. My OH earns a big salary and is very driven and also loves his job - winwin - but if he developed a passion for something that earned him a lower wage and wanted a career change I would support that 100%. As I think most people with half a brain and heart would.
Doing something you love its great but ultimately I still think you need to think of finances and for you future , are you happy to work until your practically dead (no one will be able live off the state pension that’s even if there will be one in future or unless your going to inherit enough ) , also you need atleast a million budget to live somewhere half decent that’s close enough to London ( for a 4 bed family home in a nice area) , depends what you want in life but nice house, nice car , holidays and private school fees ( all fairly normal and fair goals people aspire to have ) all add up financially and just being in a job that makes you happy , with no real long term earning potential won’t get you that !

Wow this thread took a bit of a turn 😂

My first car was a gold clio that was a complete money pit. I worked in Tesco part time & call centres. Literally scraping by! I lost my house as I couldn't afford rent and was sleeping on my dads sofa. I earned minimum wage, probably less. I still had drive, I wasn't lazy, but I was going through a really dark period in my life. This was late teens to early twenties.
Long story short, 34 now, I'm in a managerial position within the travel industry, my partner is in a senior role within telecommunications and we both earn a really good wage that means we can live comfortably. We have a nice house, drive a BMW IX3, no kids and love to travel - we recently flew business class to Thailand but later in the year we will go to Benidorm for a week, I love a mooch round Primark and I drink pints not krug! How unclassy of me. This isn't me boasting by the way! Far from it but I feel this thread has taken such a turn. We work hard and enjoy our jobs so win win but if my partner turned round and wanted to leave his job to do something different or a pay cut in something less stressful, I'd support him because I love him. I know he has the drive and ambition no matter what it is he does and your health is more important than anything.
I genuinely can't believe anyone would look down on someone for going to Magaluf, drive a focus or shop in primark!
I'm rambling now and probably not making any sense but I just think in this day and age nobody should look down on someone for where they are in life, for the car they drive, the holidays they go on or the shops they shop in. It doesn't mean they haven't got drive.

Reactions: 9
Doing something you love it great but ultimately I still think you need to think of finances and for you future , are you happy to work until your practically dead (no one will be able live off the state pension that’s even if there will be one in future or unless your going to inherit enough ) , also you need atleast a million budget to live somewhere half decent that’s close enough to London ( for a 4 bed family home in a nice area) , depends what you want in life but nice house, nice car , holidays and private school fees ( all fairly normal and fair goals people aspire to have ) all add up financially and just being in a job that makes you happy , with no real long term earning potential won’t get you that !
Would rather be skint and happy than have money and be uptight and looking down on people 👍🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Doing something you love its great but ultimately I still think you need to think of finances and for you future , are you happy to work until your practically dead (no one will be able live off the state pension that’s even if there will be one in future or unless your going to inherit enough ) , also you need atleast a million budget to live somewhere half decent that’s close enough to London ( for a 4 bed family home in a nice area) , depends what you want in life but nice house, nice car , holidays and private school fees ( all fairly normal and fair goals people aspire to have ) all add up financially and just being in a job that makes you happy , with no real long term earning potential won’t get you that !
Its not a normal ambition to send your children to a private school.
You clearly enjoy spending someone else's money

Reactions: 24
Wow this thread took a bit of a turn 😂

My first car was a gold clio that was a complete money pit. I worked in Tesco part time & call centres. Literally scraping by! I lost my house as I couldn't afford rent and was sleeping on my dads sofa. I earned minimum wage, probably less. I still had drive, I wasn't lazy, but I was going through a really dark period in my life. This was late teens to early twenties.
Long story short, 34 now, I'm in a managerial position within the travel industry, my partner is in a senior role within telecommunications and we both earn a really good wage that means we can live comfortably. We have a nice house, drive a BMW IX3, no kids and love to travel - we recently flew business class to Thailand but later in the year we will go to Benidorm for a week, I love a mooch round Primark and I drink pints not krug! How unclassy of me. This isn't me boasting by the way! Far from it but I feel this thread has taken such a turn. We work hard and enjoy our jobs so win win but if my partner turned round and wanted to leave his job to do something different or a pay cut in something less stressful, I'd support him because I love him. I know he has the drive and ambition no matter what it is he does and your health is more important than anything.
I genuinely can't believe anyone would look down on someone for going to Magaluf, drive a focus or shop in primark!
I'm rambling now and probably not making any sense but I just think in this day and age nobody should look down on someone for where they are in life, for the car they drive, the holidays they go on or the shops they shop in. It doesn't mean they haven't got drive.

Think we posted around the same time and with the same sentiment. I just don’t get it either. As for having anxiety over having to wear primark ffs 😂😂🥰

• Heart
Think we posted around the same time and with the same sentiment. I just don’t get it either. As for having anxiety over having to wear primark ffs 😂😂🥰
It’s not even about having to wear primark for a lot of us, I just choose to wear primark! I can afford to, I just actually don’t want to waste money on fancy clothes!

Reactions: 12
I've never met anyone with or without kids who's goal it was in life to send their kids to a private school.
Doesn't mean you'll end up any better either.
Half the people you look down on probably went to a private school.
I worked in a supermarket and knew of 5 that were privately educated. All had lower grades than me, had worse education imo.
And all did coke/drugs 🙃

Majority of people want to live as far away from London as possible too!

Reactions: 16
It’s not even about having to wear primark for a lot of us, I just choose to wear primark! I can afford to, I just actually don’t want to waste money on fancy clothes!
I buy second hand from eBay so at least you’re buying brand new 😂

Reactions: 2
Lol I went to private school and I’m now able to be self employed with a little business I love because my husband (who literally went to one of the worst schools in our region) worked himself up into a position where he can support me and my children. And funnily despite him earning enough to send our kids we’ve never aspired to send our through the private route.

I buy second hand from eBay so at least you’re buying brand new 😂
Nothing wrong with second hand if it’s quality stuff, primark is fine for lounge wear etc just not something I’d personally want to be in all the time though and if going somewhere nice , I love designer bags though and some do actually go up
In value

Last edited:
I can only think that the OP is either a troll or very deluded and shallow. Obviously nobody in their right mind would want to be with (let alone marry) somebody who was a lazy waste of space but it would never matter to me how much they actually earned so long as we could manage ok. A few years ago (pre covid) we were both working long hours for quite good money (well above National wage) but had no time to enjoy it and we’re tired and stressed all the time. We have both cut back a lot (I now only work part time) and the health benefits have been incredible meaning I am sleeping better and generally able to enjoy my life. I’ll be able to continue working at this level for much longer rather than pushing myself into an early grave. Money does not buy happiness and you can get a lot of pleasure out of non materialistic things. I see my husband and myself as part of a team, working together, not as somebody who would buy me pretty things and put me on a pedestal which sounds ridiculous.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
depends what you want in life but nice house, nice car , holidays and private school fees ( all fairly normal and fair goals people aspire to have ) all add up financially and just being in a job that makes you happy , with no real long term earning potential won’t get you that !
I was lucky enough to go to a private secondary school. I passed an entrance exam and because of our low income, I got a bursary towards the fees. My dad earned minimum wage as a delivery driver and my mum was a SAHM. They scrimped and saved to ensure I could go to that school, and we didn't have a single holiday while I was there. I have two younger sisters, one failed the entrance exam and one didn't even want to try. They both went to local schools and still went onto university.

A girl I was at school with recently came to work in my company, as my manager. Her family are well off yet we're both still working in a job with people who have come straight from school. When I look at other people I went to school with, they're currently doing all types of jobs, as are the people my sisters went to school with. I see no difference.

Unless my child asked, I wouldn't consider a private school for them. I don't think it's made a huge difference to my life and it didn't give me any opportunities that my sisters didn't have.

Reactions: 10
Would die if they saw in my wardrobe, majority of it is from Shein! even worse than primark, more dangerous, just keep adding things to the basket then they give you all the discount codes 😂
---
I have a black wool type dress I got from Primark before Christmas for about £8 and absolutely love it. Wear it to death, actually went back and got it in brown too :)

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I don't see why the partners wage should be an issue so long as they work and pay their share of the rent/mortgage, bills etc. If YOU want a better lifestyle, then YOU should try and earn more, not your partner.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
You didn't answer my questions.

I get what you're saying about the future and being secure. And yes I like nice things too - I have what would probably be considered a posh car, I buy expensive handbags and I have lovely holidays, but they are just that - nice. What is many many times more important is the health and happiness of your loved ones and yourself and money doesn't buy that or mean that people without it aren't those things. Circumstances and incomes change and people become wealthier and people become poorer. None of that really matters in the long term. What does matter is that you have the depth of character to find your way through all the crappy things that will happen in life, regardless of how much money you have. If you marry someone because they have money what happens when the tit hits the fan and you realise that's the only thing holding you together? Two years ago I nearly died and no amount of money would have saved me. Being happy and healthy is literally priceless.

Oh and private education? Full of entitled, over-privileged drug pushers. My daughter goes to an "outstanding" private school and is miserable as sin (she has 3 months left there and is then going to our local college!) A best friend is Matron at another and the amount of problems they have with drugs, abuse, absent parents and bullying is horrific.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.