Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #81

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know the science behind it but I think something to do with virus genome sequencing and checking positive tests to track/identify the variants.
But they said on a briefing last week that they test for the genome sequencing and that's how they found the Kent varient.
If they're checking positive tests as routine, and the law says to isolate if you have symptoms or have tested positive, then why do door to door testing?
They could just test the tests they have anyway and then contact people if need be, then they'd still have the same data. They said they've been doing that so far in today's briefing.
I'm not sure a stranger coming to your door when they've been to hundreds of other people is the safest thing ever, and you have to surely question the timing of this with restrictions on the horizon

Reactions: 5
I don’t know the science behind it but I think something to do with virus genome sequencing and checking positive tests to track/identify the variants.
The test 10% of uk postives I assume equal for each region for varients.
But that leaves 90% postives untested.
1 of the 11 cases non travel related the rest had gone or knew someone who went to South Africa tested postive 22nd December.
Not sure how quick they genome sequence as that be around Xmas week so could been 2 weeks down the line they realised it was sa varient.

I wonder if the postcodes they mention have high or normal rates of infection as surely if sa more transmission then rates those postcodes be bit on high side maybe not south east has they had high levels of Kent variant but one in Midlands or North east.
I expect there's more than 105.

1 of the 11 cases non travel related the rest had gone or knew someone who went to South Africa tested postive 22nd December.
Not sure how quick they genome sequence as that be around Xmas week so could been 2 weeks down the line they realised it was sa varient.

I wonder if the postcodes they mention have high or normal rates of infection as surely if sa more transmission then rates those postcodes be bit on high side maybe not south east has they had high levels of Kent variant but one in Midlands or North east.
I think they said GU21 in Surrey as one which I believe is Woking? I don’t think their rates are very high at the moment. Certainly below national average.

But they said on a briefing last week that they test for the genome sequencing and that's how they found the Kent varient.
If they're checking positive tests as routine, and the law says to isolate if you have symptoms or have tested positive, then why do door to door testing?
They could just test the tests they have anyway and then contact people if need be, then they'd still have the same data. They said they've been doing that so far in today's briefing.
I'm not sure a stranger coming to your door when they've been to hundreds of other people is the safest thing ever, and you have to surely question the timing of this with restrictions on the horizon
Don’t quote me exactly on what I said as I may be wrong and don’t know the science exactly behind it. The door to door testing could be to pick up any potential cases of the South African variant before it becomes out of control - more so asymptomatic cases.

Reactions: 2
We only introduced tier 4 on 20th December and only entered national lockdown on January 5th?

Most of the country were in Tier 2 until 19th December - restaurants open, shops open, outdoor mixing up to 6 people. Also all schools open. A couple of areas were even in Tier 1 so it was hardly like we were in full lockdown for months was it?

I am not saying the vaccines aren’t helping but excuse me if I don’t take your word for it that it’s the vaccine not the lockdown lessening numbers when the scientists have said it’s too early to say 🙄

The first vaccine happened 8th of December and it only takes two weeks for some level of protection. Two weeks ago millions had already had a dose. The stats from Israel are on the same path. Today was the lowest infection level for seven weeks. Most of the country has been shut down for months. Up north hasn't had hospitality open since around September time and it hasn't made a difference on infections until the vaccines came available.

Reactions: 9

The cases that were non travel related and could not trace back to positive cases could have come from asymptomatic transmission which is why I think they are doing door to door testing.

Oh ffs... it never ends!!
I saw this earlier! We learn something new about this virus every day 🤯

Reactions: 1
The cases that were non travel related and could not trace back to positive cases could have come from asymptomatic transmission which is why I think they are doing door to door testing.
Its either worse than we keep being told
Maybe immune to vaccines
Or they think we have a real problem and its more widespread and want to use these tests as way to measure as small sample as seems odd 3 different corners if the country.
You know like in Hancock fave film contagion some if the characters crossed paths I can't see how someone london/ brum and North east cross paths as we lockdown so we not meant travel far anyway.

Don’t quote me exactly on what I said as I may be wrong and don’t know the science exactly behind it. The door to door testing could be to pick up any potential cases of the South African variant before it becomes out of control - more so asymptomatic cases.
You've said what has been said on the briefings, so I'm sure you're right.
Wasn't this the same government who told the public ages ago not to get tests unless you showed symptoms? Yet now asymptomatic people should be tested, even though they've said themselves the vaccine will work on it and its no more lethal.
It literally makes no sense

Reactions: 7
I think they said GU21 in Surrey as one which I believe is Woking? I don’t think their rates are very high at the moment. Certainly below national average.
Thats hopefully postive sign its fairly isolated case and they know identify of 11 and they fully quarantined.
My worry i guess was when they tested they may have been infectious pre postive result. Aso may been week or 2 they informed they had south African varient .

Its either worse than we keep being told
Maybe immune to vaccines
Or they think we have a real problem and its more widespread and want to use these tests as way to measure as small sample as seems odd 3 different corners if the country.
You know like in Hancock fave film contagion some if the characters crossed paths I can't see how someone london/ brum and North east cross paths as we lockdown so we not meant travel far anyway.
There is no way of knowing. I just hope the are doing enough to identify the hotspots of where the South African variant is transmitting and keep it under control.

Wasn't this the same government who told the public ages ago not to get tests unless you showed symptoms? Yet now asymptomatic people should be tested, even though they've said themselves the vaccine will work on it and its no more lethal.
Also they using pcr not lateral flow tests which are fairly inaccurate that they usually use for asymptomatic and were prepared to use in schools.
Makes me think ohh they really taking this seriously which makes me think they worried.
I also think they sit on these new varients for a while before announcing.

There are a lot of things they said and have gone back on 🤯 Let’s just hope what they are doing is enough to keep it under control.

Thats hopefully postive sign its fairly isolated case and they know identify of 11 and they fully quarantined.
My worry i guess was when they tested they may have been infectious pre postive result. Aso may been week or 2 they informed they had south African varient .
I believe it is 105 cases of the South African variant that have been identified with all but 11 linked to travel in South Africa.

Can anyone explain why they are so concerned about the SA variant? And why the random post codes?

Is anyone else shielding? Has the lockdown been extended until March 8th? I’m so confused by it all! My letter says 21st feb but they’re always so late and sending update letters out for shielding. Don’t want to risk returning to work when I shouldn’t be

Reactions: 3
Can anyone explain why they are so concerned about the SA variant? And why the random post codes?
The concern is that is can transmit faster/more contagious. In addition it has changes to the virus spike protein which they are still not sure if vaccine will be effective against. Postcodes are areas where the variant has been found or possibly could be circulating, they may have widened the postcode search as people travel in and out of areas which widens the transmission.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.