Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #77

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They should have cancelled flights back in September. And they should have been testing more people who they allowed to travel. I feel that far too much was allowed to happen, whilst restaurants, bars and other businesses were told to close. It never made sense to allow people to take holidays abroad while others were made to struggle financially.
Cancelling flights from Portugal. They do realise that anyone desperate to come here will just travel across the border and hop on a flight from Malaga.

Reactions: 4
If the hospitalisations drop to a level where the NHS is no longer at risk of being overwhelmed (this would be after phase one completes plus lag so not until May) then I see no reason they would continue with restrictions. Certainly nothing like lockdown.

We will never get to zero hospitalisations or deaths, it will never happen. They have said it’s when the risk reaches an acceptable level.

If the vaccine is effective there is no reason to believe things are not going to improve relatively soon.

Even Whitty said if vaccine is effective in reducing hospitalisations and severe disease then worst case scenario we need some minor restrictions next winter but nothing compared to what we are facing now.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
This experience has taught me who matters.

I’m dumping a few friends over this, their true colours have come out.

One works in the medical field & vaccinations yet she doesn’t want to discuss it outside of work.
It’s the only thing to discuss! For someone close to it I think that’s a mean attitude.

I get that she wants to leave work at work but it’s a pandemic & friends should be there for one another.

Reactions: 6
Cancelling flights from Portugal. They do realise that anyone desperate to come here will just travel across the border and hop on a flight from Malaga.
I think all flights should stop for a while to allow the country time to recover.

Reactions: 11
Honestly? I reckon normal normal life is a year or 2 off. I reckon like last year, the summer will be less restrict, the winter more restricted but less than currently, and the same again for 2022 but gradually more freedom.

hoping it’s quicker than that, but I am preparing to be disappointed, so anything else is good

I can remember life pre covid. But then I felt I got close to it last summer, having a holiday, going to bars and restaurants, meeting up with my friends. Maybe I was just really boring before covid 🤣

• Haha
There are hardly any flights too and from Malaga and you have to go to a clinic to get a test upto 72 hours before departure or no fly.

Reactions: 1
You don’t know that it is a party though. If it’s happening everyday I’d say the likelihood is that they don’t understand how loud they are actually being. They may have moved from a house where the neighbours couldn’t hear them or didn’t mention it to them. Sometimes I don’t realise how loud I’ve got my music on, especially if I’m loading the dishwasher or wandering around downstairs cleaning. Luckily I get on well with my neighbour so she texts me if it’s disturbing her and I’ll turn it down.
It’s more the mixture of loud noice, music, quite a lot different noises, laughter and my MIL noticed that they always seem to have a lot of alcohol bottles in recycling.
For all we know they are just not doing dry January and are a big happy family but we have never met them, so we wouldn’t know 🙈
Husband is going to try and have a chat with them, because it’s a mixture of struggling to work, relax and sleep, because there is always noice 😔

One works in the medical field & vaccinations yet she doesn’t want to discuss it outside of work.
It’s the only thing to discuss! For someone close to it I think that’s a mean attitude.

I get that she wants to leave work at work but it’s a pandemic & friends should be there for one another.
Honestly though I get why someone who works in it, really doesn’t want to discuss it outside of work, is it worth losing a friend over?

Reactions: 31

I’m dumping a few friends over this, their true colours have comes out.

mine works in the medical field & vaccinations yet she doesn’t want to discuss it outside of work.

I don’t blame her. Covid can be consuming for the average Joe, never mind someone who sees it day in day out. I hate talking about it with my family and friends. I hate them asking questions. I’m free to discuss it here because I can choose what conversations I participate in and what I feel like discussing. I set the tone.

It is horrendous out there. I cry after every single shift. My heart is shattered because of the sheer amount of death I’ve seen over the last few months. I’ve dialled 2222 more times than I can remember. Some days I go home, try to sleep and all I can see is my patients faces. My face is sore. My body is exhausted. Mentally I’m drained and physically I am as well.

I think it’s pretty crappy to write off a friendship because they don’t want to discuss it. For me, there’s only one attitude here, and it ain’t your friends. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 70
When am I going to be able to go to Nando’s with someone who isn’t my immediate family 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Regarding travel...I’m really glad we seem to be doing well with vaccinations but my main gripe with covid life is no travel so can everywhere else hurry up. If we are doing better than all the nice hot countries we will basically be stranded here until they catch up😅

If America can vaccinate all of Florida first for my convenience that would be ideal 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Honestly the same goes the other way. If she’s around it all the time and finds it overwhelming to discuss outside work, particularly if you think it’s all there is to discuss you might be bringing it up way too much. If you insist on bringing something up that she doesn’t want to talk about you aren’t being there for her either.
Sounds like you might be best dropping the subject with her and discuss covid with others instead. Rather than you both being miserable and unsupported by not understanding the others point of view.

Reactions: 26

I think that’s ridiculous tbh. I don’t blame your friend for not wanting to discuss it outside of work. When you are constantly surrounded by talk of the same subject, it can become too much. It can affect you mentally. Maybe they just want to forget about it for a while and talk about something normal.

Reactions: 25
Honestly? I reckon normal normal life is a year or 2 off. I reckon like last year, the summer will be less restrict, the winter more restricted but less than currently, and the same again for 2022 but gradually more freedom.

hoping it’s quicker than that, but I am preparing to be disappointed, so anything else is good
I feel the same as you!

If the hospitalisations drop to a level where the NHS is no longer at risk of being overwhelmed (this would be after phase one completes plus lag so not until May) then I see no reason they would continue with restrictions. Certainly nothing like lockdown.

We will never get to zero hospitalisations or deaths, it will never happen. They have said it’s when the risk reaches an acceptable level.

If the vaccine is effective there is no reason to believe things are not going to improve relatively soon.

Even Whitty said if vaccine is effective in reducing hospitalisations and severe disease then worst case scenario we need some minor restrictions next winter but nothing compared to what we are facing now.
That's my thoughts. Once all 9 categories are done by Easter that would be 99% of hospital admissions and deaths protected by some vaccine so there would be zero need at that point to have any more restrictions. If you're healthy and young then you shouldn't have your life put on hold with rules past that point when you've as much chance of dying of Covid as being run over.

Reactions: 9

I think your attitude is a mean one to have. I assume you don’t work in the same arena otherwise you’d have an understanding as to why the friend doesn’t want to discuss it outside of work. Actually for someone working in vaccinations, not discussing it outside of work is probably a good idea, it’d be unethical to push her opinion. It isn’t the only thing to discuss, maybe ask her is she’s ok and how she’s getting on - no doubt stressed and adjusting to a lot of change. It doesn’t sound like you’re there for her much when your opinion is incredibly black and white and that she should be discussing it.

Reactions: 14
I should clarify she doesn’t work in a covid ward, she recently helped with the vaccinations 1 Day a week (not administering).

I take your comments on board.

I guess I feel sensitive because friends are limited at the moment.

I feel like most people don’t want to talk about it at times because it brings them down.

im a person that needs to talk it out! Hence I’m here.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.