Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #77

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think this conference will just be a RULE BRITTANIA one about how well we are doing with vaccine rollout.

Then Whitty getting panicked at complacency.
Haha yes, little pat on the back for the one thing that hasn’t gone to tit so far and then a few minutes of Whitty looking like he is there under duress and pleading with us all to follow the rules.

Standard Friday evening 🥱

• Haha
Reactions: 8
There is talk of a vaccine certificate? So, like my aunt who travelled to France from the UK (France is her home), she had to take a test to prove she was negative for Covid before she could travel, like many other folk who travel. So it stands to reason that once you have had the vaccine, you will show it to relevant authorities to be able to access various things, like flights and business activities. I don't know if this going to be the case, but I have read that other countries are mooting it as a way forward.
I can’t see it being a requirement for travel until we have a vaccine that is proven to stop you catching it and to stop you spreading it. Obviously we hope this vaccine will do that, but until the science backs it up I’m just not sure why someone vaccinated would be less of a travel risk than someone who wasn’t? A negative test is quite different as it proves you don’t have it and can’t transmit it to others. Although even that isn’t good enough as you could still catch it while in transit!

Reactions: 3
That’s the thing! This is not comparable to a war. It is its own pile of misery and it’s not just “being asked to stay at home.” It’s being told you can’t see your loved ones, you can’t see elderly relatives or you will kill them. You can’t enjoy life as you used to. You must stay home, but many can’t because work. More people are descending into poverty. People are paranoid and afraid. Healthcare workers, parents and teachers are being pulled in all directions and are stressed out. Life sucks at the moment, and if people are upset by that then I’d say they have good reason.
It’s also like we can’t just allow two things to be entirely tit situations? Yes conscription is awful. Yes, a pandemic is awful. It doesn’t have to be a competition 😂

Reactions: 11
They should get someone that people actually respect to give that message like David Attenborough or Trevor McDonald.

In all honesty, I think the majority of people are staying home , except for essential reasons. It's that these essential reasons are rather frequent. 10 months down the line people aren't going to deny themselves things that improve their quality of life . Unless people are being extremely reckless, the fact they're not in the house is highly unlikely to spread covid or impact the nhs.
Agree with this. People going to the supermarket two or three times a week or going for exercise twice a day are not the driving factor in spread (and in fact may be improving people’s mental health). I know I personally am not going only once per week because I can’t meal plan that far, we don’t have a huge fridge and I’m not living off of rice and beans until my next “allowed” shop. The government need to accept responsibility for the fact the NHS is struggling quite so badly. If Boris came out and said, this has highlighted how much we need to do to support our NHS and that will be addressed by X, Y, Z but in the meantime we absolutely need you to do your bit to get us there, people would have more respect.

Reactions: 15
I can’t see it being a requirement for travel until we have a vaccine that is proven to stop you catching it and to stop you spreading it. Obviously we hope this vaccine will do that, but until the science backs it up I’m just not sure why someone vaccinated would be less of a travel risk than someone who wasn’t? A negative test is quite different as it proves you don’t have it and can’t transmit it to others. Although even that isn’t good enough as you could still catch it while in transit!
We will know that probably before wide scale travel is allowed however in order to truly test it, I have realised they will actually need to let us all out to play again.

If the vaccine does stop transmission, even with only 50% of people vaccinated, we would see a drop in cases as the chain would be broken.

However we can’t truly test it until there’s less restrictions as we won’t know if the vaccine is only providing some benefit and the restrictions are doing the rest 😩

Reactions: 6
Does not wanting the vaccine make you an anti-vaxxer? I personally don't want the vaccine, but I'm not against vaccines in general, and I'm all for everyone else having it if they choose to. I guess literally it does, but I feel like there are a lot of negative connotations tied to 'anti-vaxxers'.
I agree. I'm not anti vax, not a covid denier, or anti lockdown, but as time goes on if you dare speak out about something or question something then you're lumped into that brigade.
I'm pro choice, pro free speech, pro doing your own research.
We've lost our basic freedoms, so to lose freedom of thought and basic rights on speaking about that, or being labelled to be something you're not is annoying.
When we did become a nation of turning on someone for defending their right to choose and exercising our democratic right

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Based on the way people respond on this thread, I doubt many people will want to admit publicly to declining it (if it's offered to them) for fear of being shunned!
I’m still hesitant about it. For me I think it is too much of what’s been floating around that has seeped into my brain, I want to be able to get the vaccine but I do feel extremely worried about it and worried what I’ll do when my time comes. I’m a really conscientious person and I do understand that my decision impacts other people. I could say out loud all day long that yes of course I’ll get it but I can’t help that inside I am really worried about it. Im not bothered if anyone wants to call me anti vax, I know that I’m not and I know that all the misinformation flying around has scared me and many more like me. It is what it is and I’m working on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It’s not about if it bothers me, I just thought it was interesting that you tarred anyone who didn’t want the vaccine with the anti covid vaccine brush.

There are a many reasons why people might not want it yet and for the record mine is allergic reactions to previous vaccines. That doesn’t make me a ‘doubter’ and I don’t see how it’s in any way comparable to ‘spouting tit about it’.
Did I though? Maybe you should re read the post you are calling out because you are making a lot of assumptions.

The OP was talking about how many people would refuse the vaccine, including people on the vulnerable list that she knows, and this would have a knock on effect to the pandemic restrictions.
I simply pointed out my view that in the real world the majority of people don't hold the conspiracy theory view of the vaccine, which is pretty common place on the internet right now and that I didn't think that many people do have these doubtful views on the vaccine.

I didn't call you out, I didn't say you couldn't have your own view, you jumped on a post that wasn't about you and twisted it so you could be offended.

Reactions: 1
It's a small minority who are anti vax and it's an even smaller minority jumping on those asking questions. There have been a number of posters on this thread including myself that have taken time to answer concerns and questions without being rude. Let's not make it sound like a pile on when ever someone has asked a question and there there hasn't been anything of the sort.

Reactions: 13
There is talk of a vaccine certificate? So, like my aunt who travelled to France from the UK (France is her home), she had to take a test to prove she was negative for Covid before she could travel, like many other folk who travel. So it stands to reason that once you have had the vaccine, you will show it to relevant authorities to be able to access various things, like flights and business activities. I don't know if this going to be the case, but I have read that other countries are mooting it as a way forward.
Like how certain vaccines are needed for certain countries ( like exotic ones) and how you need to prove a dog's immunisation are up to date to put them in kennels? I imagine this information will be confidential. People who are that opposed to the vaccine could just avoid these situations.

Reactions: 2
I’m still hesitant about it. For me I think it is too much of what’s been floating around that has seeped into my brain, I want to be able to get the vaccine but I do feel extremely worried about it and worried what I’ll do when my time comes. I’m a really conscientious person and I do understand that my decision impacts other people. I could say out loud all day long that yes of course I’ll get it but I can’t help that inside I am really worried about it. Im not bothered if anyone wants to call me anti vax, I know that I’m not and I know that all the misinformation flying around has scared me and many more like me. It is what it is and I’m working on it.
I'm with you on all the points you make. We'll do what's right for us when the time comes.

Reactions: 3
I'll be honest I was anxious going for my vaccination. I have terrible health anxiety and it's hard not to see the scare stories and get frightened. But for me I had to read around, question the sources and for me it ended up that the risk of catching covid is high, the risk of me getting serious side effects from covid is higher then any hypothetical risk from the vaccine and people whose opinions I trust (colleagues in the medical field) were getting the vaccination. I was still nervous that morning though but now I've had it I do actually feel a lot more positive about the vaccine. Nerves are normal xx

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I mean if you are against the covid vaccine then you are anti *that* vax. If that bothers you then I dunno what you want to hear.
Not wanting it is almost as dangerous as spouting tit about it when we are in the middle of a pandemic and an ‘I’m alright jack’ outlook doesn’t benefit the collective.
Of course people are usually still okay with *others* getting the jab because ultimately it still circles back and benefits the doubter if everyone else takes on the responsibility of bringing a level of immunity to society.
Or, its ok for others to take it because some people believe in choice.
Someone else taking the jab doesn't affect me at all, because they can still spread the virus. The only benefit is to themselves because it can lesson the symptoms and give some protection against them catching it

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Like how certain vaccines are needed for certain countries ( like exotic ones) and how you need to prove a dog's immunisation are up to date to put them in kennels? I imagine this information will be confidential. People who are that opposed to the vaccine could just avoid these situations.
Yeah....I don't think its going to be like an ID card you have to carry around with you. God imagine you had to take it to the local shop to get a bit of chocolate?!!

Did I though? Maybe you should re read the post you are calling out because you are making a lot of assumptions.

The OP was talking about how many people would refuse the vaccine, including people on the vulnerable list that she knows.
I simply pointed out my view that in the real world the majority of people don't hold the conspiracy theory view of the vaccine, which is pretty common place on the internet right now and that I didn't think that many people do have these doubtful views on the vaccine.
Ok cool, so I can't make any assumptions based on what you say in your posts, but it's perfectly acceptable for you to make multiple assumptions about me and anyone else who doesn't want the vaccine yet. Cool, I'm glad I know where you stand on assumptions.

And for the record, you didn't simply point out your view about conspiracy theories, you said and I quote 'I don't think the anti-covid vaxers are as wide reaching as the internet would have you believe.' in response to speculation about how many people would refuse the vaccine.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Are we expecting any more restrictions tonight? Just wondered if he'd follow Sturgeon
Maybe but it would undermine Priti saying we wouldn’t.

I think he’s just doing it because we have been promised daily press conferences and he needs to show his face at some of them other wise ‘where is Boris’ trends again.

figures are dropping currently so maybe they want to say despite that please continue to follow?

Plus an end of week vaccine update.

Reactions: 8
I'll be honest I was anxious going for my vaccination. I have terrible health anxiety and it's hard not to see the scare stories and get frightened. But for me I had to read around, question the sources and for me it ended up that the risk of catching covid is high, the risk of me getting serious side effects from covid is higher then any hypothetical risk from the vaccine and people whose opinions I trust (colleagues in the medical field) were getting the vaccination. I was still nervous that morning though but now I've had it I do actually feel a lot more positive about the vaccine. Nerves are normal xx
Thank you, it is helpful to hear that. I am one of those people who have anxiety and I keep seeing the scare stories and thinking oh god I just know if it’s going to happen to anyone it will happen to me 🙄😬 my husband on the other hand would have his right now if he could but that might also be helped by the fact he doesn’t use Facebook or Instagram and barely looks at the news whereas I fall down rabbit holes. I am really glad to hear that you’re feeling fine. As I said on here a few days ago my husbands friend is on oxygen in hospital with covid at the moment and is only 39 with no underlying conditions that we are aware of, so I am really worried about getting it and I’m also just as worried about long covid as I am the vaccine. It’s just a lot to think about and I’ve fallen victim to some of the scaremongering but I am trying to balance that up the other way. Take me back to last year when the biggest decision I had to make was quarter pounder with cheese or McChicken sandwich 😩

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.