Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #72

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ours are dropping like flies and say one week minimum closures. Been sent a key worker survey to complete as well

Reactions: 1
Just had a Class Dojo message and our daughter's school is opening as normal. But been told to wrap her up warm as all windows will be wide open.

Not being funny, but how are kids meant to concentrate and work effectively if they're freezing!! It's okay putting an extra jumper on, but she'll still only have skirt and tights now. Might as well make it none uniform to stand a chance of keeping warm.
My eldest got told off for wearing a jumper that wasn't school uniform to keep her warmer 🙄

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
Places like b&m and home bargains need to shut too. I know they sell food but you can get all that from the supermarkets. Keeping them open just encourages people to go for a mooch as it's something to do.
But then more people will go to supermarkets? We are not in April anymore when standing outside for 2 hours to queue in the sun wasn’t much of a problem. It’s winter.
Also what you may consider non-essential may be essential to others. We are renovating and we were very pleased when various builders merchants, carpet shops etc were allowed to open in November lockdown because it meant that we could get supplies.

Reactions: 4
It's crazy, isn't it? And what about the poor kids that don't get the memo to wrap up warm? They'll be even worse 😭

I just think it's crazy. Apparently its LEA guidance though
Yup, it is advised to have fresh air circulating in the classes , we have the heating on and windows open, still warm in my class though.

Compliance may be more forthcoming with literally only supermarkets, post offices and banks open though. I agree that nothing should be open for click and collect like they are now - I went down to the town post office on Thursday and it was busier than when everything is open normally.

I don't see why places like Wilkos need to be open - cleaning products and toiletries are readily available in supermarkets.
My wilkos is brilliant. Throughout the year they only let so many in, the shop is pretty empty and well psaced out. Compared to the bedlam that is tescos. I'm safer in wilkos then tescos.

Reactions: 6
Just had a Class Dojo message and our daughter's school is opening as normal. But been told to wrap her up warm as all windows will be wide open.

Not being funny, but how are kids meant to concentrate and work effectively if they're freezing!! It's okay putting an extra jumper on, but she'll still only have skirt and tights now. Might as well make it none uniform to stand a chance of keeping warm.
Ours have done this since September, my 7 year old has only complained 3 times about being cold. And all their photos they're sat in outdoor gear doing their writing.
They've all adapted to it and are used to the rain blowing in now. Not a single sickness bug has happened though with the windows open, small mercies 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4
@Platypusfattypus and any other NHS workers. I was wondering just how close Casualty came last night in showing viewers what A&E has been like in some hospitals. I thought they did a very good job covering many sensitive areas. I had no idea that the coloured curtains have been replaced with the white ones.

The fatigue, frustration and desperation came across, as well as the sadness and total helplessness. Seeing so much in only an hour just completely raised my appreciation even more for all those who continue to battle through this misery. 💖💗💓
I don't work in a+e and have on the whole been lucky enough not to have to work with unwell covid patients. However we have had covid positive women, and the reduced staffing issues plus the threat of redeployment should things continue to escalate. There is a sense of fatigue

• Heart
Reactions: 2
The procedure about keeping doors and windows open is bloody ridiculous. I will NOT be doing it in my classroom and I know a lot of teachers will agree with me, esp in primary education. I air out the room every 30 minutes and leave the windows open for maybe 5/10 minutes but they will not be open all day.

I cant teach when my teeth are shattering, with a coat on and the kids cannot learn in such an environment. Its also not fair to those kids who are sat right next to the windows 24/7.

(Just to add, I did leave all windows and doors open for months but the last week before Xmas it was beyond freezing. we had icicles! Head teacher said airing out the room is fine)

Reactions: 11
A local primary has just announced they can't open next week due to staff shortages. Surprisingly the teachers are receiving so much support and thanks from the parents, for taking a stand. I guess the press like to paint the teachers as lazy but the people who matter, their pupils and pupils parents see a different side.

Reactions: 18
Doncaster village here - we are business as usual for school until something changes.

Had a chat with hubby and seriously considering handing my notice in now - absolutely sick of last minute decisions. It’s not so much the threat of Covid, as worrying as that is, it’s the feeling of being on a juggernaut and having no control to make my own precautions or decisions.
I am starting a new job on Tuesday due to management in my previous role and the lack of control over my own health and my families health. Their view was if you don’t like that we are forcing you to come into the office, you can just hand your notice in. This was said to a senior manager who has been a loyal staff member for over 15 years (who might I add needs to commute on public transport) I may add we can work from home and have done on several occasions they just don’t trust us 🙄

I landed this new role without even meeting my new manager and MD.Just before Christmas my new manager rang and said let’s meet at the office so you can collect your equipment and then we will probably work from home like we have done since March, our employees health both mentally and physically is at the upmost importance to us. We would never force an employee or put themin that position. Yes I have probably made a mistake at changing jobs mid pandemic but my previous employers were damaging my mental health. And in my view that’s just as important as physical health.

I really think the government need to give more direction on an employers and how they are treating staff during this pandemic. My dad has COPD with 30% lung capacity and my mum looks after our 2 year old 2 days a week. I returned to the office after being furloughed and told them my mum can’t look after my daughter but my wife’s employer let her drop a day for however we needed and mine well.... they point blank refused to help me. I wasn’t even able to make a choice about taking that 1 day a week unpaid. They even went as far as to say were not even willing to furlough you on a Wednesday. I hadn’t even mentioned it. I had one Wednesday unpaid and then one of my directors expected me to pluck childcare out of thin air in time for the following week. This same director who ison enough of a wedge that his girlfriend doesn’t need to work and therefor never has any childcare problems...

Praying this new employer will see things differently... and isn’t all about wealth over health.

Reactions: 9
My kids school have had windows and doors open since they returned in September. They were only allowed to wear coats inside the few weeks before Christmas. They were frozen when they got home

• Sad
Reactions: 5
My kids school have had windows and doors open since they returned in September. They were only allowed to wear coats inside the few weeks before Christmas. They were frozen when they got home
To be honest, I prefer that than the alternative of them being more at risk of picking up covid and bringing it home.
I still have a child in the early years though and other than maybe 1-2 hours of the day, they spend the rest of the time outside, in all weathers. So I suppose I'm more used to the idea.
Lots of parents sent dressing gowns in for their kids here. They had to stay in school and come home once a week to be washed like pe kit but something a little more giving than a coat and still keeps them warm.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
To be honest, I prefer that than the alternative of them being more at risk of picking up covid and bringing it home.
I still have a child in the early years though and other than maybe 1-2 hours of the day, they spend the rest of the time outside, in all weathers. So I suppose I'm more used to the idea.
Lots of parents sent dressing gowns in for their kids here. They had to stay in school and come home once a week to be washed like pe kit but something a little more giving than a coat and still keeps them warm.
Ours were only allowed to wear school logo jumpers and their blazer over it but recently have allowed a plain winter coat to be worn

Reactions: 2
There's no distancing at our school either. We have a PE teacher that teaches at multiple schools across the academy and they posted pictures of him stood shoulder to shoulder with some of the kids!
Our staff are getting a written disciplinary for this!! We have to distance at all times from pupils unless in communal areas, where we all have masks on.

Reactions: 1
Just watched a few “highlights” of Boris from this morning

Why can’t. He. Talk. In more. Than three words. At at. Time?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.