Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #57

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The deaths are awful! Although I guess that is the weekend backlog too. With new positive infections, it’s gone up on last week but not as much as it has in previous weeks.

Is there any news on testing issues? If not I’d say the slight increase actually might be a tiny bit of good news- infection rate may be decreasing? I hope... 😕
I don't know about testing issues but if only 10% of the population has had it I can't see how infections will decrease tbh

Reactions: 2
I think they must have meant this. Tests proscessed yesterday were 60k lower but aren't they always on a Monday?
20201027_165227.jpg

Well here's a list of what the government defined as "underlying health conditions" at the start of the lockdown. (source https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news...nderlying-conditions-coronavirus-risk-3959772 )

• chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis, a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

With the exception of a couple of those I would say all these are conditions which, in themselves, will sadly shorten a person's life expectancy regardless of whether they have Covid at the time of death or not. Therefore it would be wrong to say that these people died of Covid and therefore they shouldn't be included in the daily scary statistics.
What medical training do you have to assess how close someone is to death?
I have one of those conditions on that list and I work and pay tax.
A colleague 4 grades above me, so top rate tax payer has one of the conditions on that list.
My husband working tax payer and self employed second income so double NI contributions, has one of the conditions on that list too.
We are all in our forties, contributing to society both financially and socially, and nowhere close to death in ordinary circumstances (hopefully) unless we catch Covid19 and there are hundreds of thousands like us.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I don't know about testing issues but if only 10% of the population has had it I can't see how infections will decrease tbh
I’d like to hope through the tiered measures. If they don’t see a reduction in infections over the next few weeks then they’ll have to admit the current restrictions don’t/ haven’t worked. Dread to think what the next thing they’ll do is in that circumstance...

Reactions: 5
I’m just curious why is there a lag at the weekends? Surely during a pandemic things should be reported and processed 7 days a week?

Reactions: 3
I’m just curious why is there a lag at the weekends? Surely during a pandemic things should be reported and processed 7 days a week?
A combination of things, it takes longer to generally process the death as most public sector services run at a reduced capacity over the weekend, this also delays the time it takes to make family aware and the death can't be published to the data until after this.

We can't just magic up extra capacity, the lag and increase between weekends and Monday/Tuesday isn't a huge issue since the most important thing is the rolling average anway.

Reactions: 6
Totally agree Ive never understood this and have always thought it was just as important as the weekend as in the week

Reactions: 4
A combination of things, it takes longer to generally process the death as most public sector services run at a reduced capacity over the weekend, this also delays the time it takes to make family aware and the death can't be published to the data until after this.

We can't just magic up extra capacity, the lag and increase between weekends and Monday/Tuesday isn't a huge issue since the most important thing is the rolling average anway.
Thank you. (Post to short)

Ah just seen your reply, makes sense I guess.

I’d like to hope through the tiered measures. If they don’t see a reduction in infections over the next few weeks then they’ll have to admit the current restrictions don’t/ haven’t worked. Dread to think what the next thing they’ll do is in that circumstance...
Well they don't look to have had much of an effect in the north as some places have been restricted for months (awful btw ) it's just they can't afford to waste any more time it's something they just don't have ,it's too late in the day to be playing about with measures that might not work ..

PHE don't work at the weekend apparently that's why there's always a lag ,,same as here

Reactions: 1
Crikey, that’s a bit of a jump in deaths in a day.
True, but it's also important to stress that of those who died, "Patients were between 36 and 101, and all but six, who were aged 60 to 93, had known underlying health conditions."

• Angry
Reactions: 1
True, but it's also important to stress that of those who died, "Patients were between 36 and 101, and all but six, who were aged 60 to 93, had known underlying health conditions."

Give it a rest.

You may be trying to reassure people but the underlying health issues argument has been explained thoroughly. Its not reassuring as the criteria is vast, and Im sure everyone either is on it or has someone they love on it, who will live long normal lives otherwise.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

That's alright then 🙄

Reactions: 10
did anyone watch the panorama last night about how the pandemic is effecting 16-25 year olds? Watching on catch up and it's bloody depressing!

• Sad
How the heck have China got this under control? I know people in China and they’re stunned how bad things are here still. When I told them it’s over 20k case a day they were stunned. They said life has been back to normal there for some time. They all wore masks from the start and have continued to. The people I know were shocked we didn’t enforce masks until so late on.

Reactions: 5
Give it a rest.

You may be trying to reassure people but the underlying health issues argument has been explained thoroughly. Its not reassuring as the criteria is vast, and Im sure everyone either is on it or has someone they love on it, who will live long normal lives otherwise.
This is just a troll at this point surely to god 😂😂😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
How the heck have China got this under control? I know people in China and they’re stunned how bad things are here still. When I told them it’s over 20k case a day they were stunned. They said life has been back to normal there for some time. They all wore masks from the start and have continued to. The people I know were shocked we didn’t enforce masks until so late on.
They have an health passport app that tracks their location, as well as if they come into contact with someone with covid. They also need a negative result, anywhere you enter in public, you have to scan it I think. Many western people wouldn't want that, they cry over the regular tracking app. When people enter the country they have a tracker put on them and they aren't allowed to leave the quarantine location for 2 weeks and must have a negative result - at least that's how it was a few months ago as someone I know went. They are also more respectful (scared) of their government so will follow protocol. Masks also aren't a big deal there as they are the norm.

Reactions: 9
Basically cause Covid patients were shipped off to hospitals against their will or literally sealed into their houses! They are required to isolate until a test result in a specific hotel so they can't potentially spread it to everyone before isolating (for example, here you land at an airport and then go home. They're not allowed to do that) Masks were normal anyway, they have an actual track and trace system, temperature checks are everywhere - it's not just some businesses who want to, it's when you get on the bus, go into work, go into the shop, go to the public loo, get back on the bus, literally everywhere you enter.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.