Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #57

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I mean... no one is shocked by this right?? It pisses me off that airlines here are no longer distancing people and are at full capacity.
no, I agree. And exactly, so many pictures of full planes and busy airports here in the US, social distancing impossible to maintain with so many people, our cases are only going up. It’s a disaster

Reactions: 5
no, I agree. And exactly, so many pictures of full planes and busy airports here in the US, social distancing impossible to maintain with so many people, our cases are only going up. It’s a disaster
I am a neighbour in Canada!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
This was an interesting read about patients in the ICU ward with Covid, their stories and a bit how far we have come with treatment and various trials, etc since the first wave:

Covid: Back to intensive care, where I notice one major change https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54690374

Reactions: 2
You don't need to have attended medical school to have an opinion; an inquiring mind and the ability to assess actual risk rather than scaremongering headlines should suffice. The point I'm making is that an awful lot of people who've been registering fo dying of Covid have died of something else, they just happened to have tested positive for Covid when they passed.

Suppose someone with terminal cancer tests positive the day before they die - have they died of Covid? Of course they haven't, they've died of cancer, but it will be recorded as a Covid death.
Or supposing a 90 year old in a care home tests positive the day before they die -have they died of Covid? Of course they haven't, they've died of cancer, but it will be recorded as a Covid death.

The average age of coronavirus fatalities is 82, which is actually higher than the average life expectancy! There really is no need for the vast majority of us to fear it, nor is there any need for the draconian tier 3 restrictions many of us are living under.
You are entitled to an opinion, but your opinion is wholly misinformed. Take it from somebody who has actually signed plenty of death certificates and has had training in how to determine cause of death. You are just wrong. Entitled to an opinion? Sure....But your opinion does not remotely resemble the medically accepted way of determining cause of death.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
This was an interesting read about patients in the ICU ward with Covid, their stories and a bit how far we have come with treatment and various trials, etc since the first wave:

Covid: Back to intensive care, where I notice one major change https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54690374
It's stories like this that make me love those at the front line fighting this disease and gives me hope that there will be less deaths in the future. We just need to ensure we can just slow this wave down a bit so we can help more people with covid or with other conditions.

Reactions: 10
I might sound really ignorant here, but I'm quite surprised learning disabilities are on the underlying health condition list. I don't see how a learning disability itself makes someone more at risk , I didn't realise it necessarily put someone at a physical disadvantage where covid is concerned.
As @JoeBloggs has said I believe it’s related to overall reduced life expectancy and comorbidities. I think there’s also an element of people with learning disabilities access healthcare differently and cannot always voice their needs in the same way e.g articulate that they feel unwell in some way. Obviously it’s a broad spectrum and I’m speaking in very general terms. I know from my area of practice we can see people with LD and nutritional issues, and malnutrition/being underweight can reduce the reserve to cope with infection and critical illness. We had a few LD patients (to the service) die of COVID and some were very young indeed.

But if you follow the logic of some then they died of learning disability, not COVID(!) (I’m being sarcastic before anyone thinks im actually being serious)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Wow the number of deaths today is insane.

I know there is a Tuesday backlog but bleeping hell.

All the stories about how much easier they find it to treat, how lots of people have less serious symptoms compared to March etc just don't seem to match up to the number of deaths vs cases.

I think it is quite clear the testing system is struggling to pick up a majority of cases.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
This will give even more ammo to all the respective leaders of the UK to tighten the screws on lockdowns further.

So according to the UK stats from The Telegraph, we've had

894,690 confirmed cases since the beginning of all this
20.890 confirmed cases in the last 7 days. up 24% in 7 day average

44,998 confirmed deaths, since the beginning
102 confirmed deaths in the last 7 days. up 49% in 7 day average

and yet, it is quoted as "Death rates among people hospitalised with Covid-19 have halved since peak of pandemic, new research has found."

Last edited:
Wow the number of deaths today is insane.

I know there is a Tuesday backlog but bleeping hell.

All the stories about how much easier they find it to treat, how lots of people have less serious symptoms compared to March etc just don't seem to match up to the number of deaths vs cases.

I think it is quite clear the testing system is struggling to pick up a majority of cases.
They've said the testing is overwhelmed and track n trace can't physically track people there's too many cases now 🤷‍♀️ I fear they'll retain the record for the most deaths second time round again

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I had a week off last week and avoided the news. Sadly it's not hard to believe things have deteriorated over that time.

Had plans to visit family up north, but they went into Tier 3 and my area into Tier 2 so that was cancelled.

I was fully expecting an England circuit breaker...was anything said about it?

My heart goes out to everyone in Wales and Ireland...stay safe. Hope you're all coping in Lockdown 2.0.

Reactions: 6
If you remember my post yesterday, I ended up ordering a test. It came today - I registered it right away like it said and then I noticed that the little vial with the liquid in, had no lid on so the liquid was everywhere 🙃

I rang 119 like it said, but struggled to get another test as I had already registered one. She managed to over ride it finally and another test will be with me on Thursday. She said that she's never come across this yet, but thanked me for actually following the instructions because it does say to register it before doing anything and said she will take this further up. Such a flaw in the system 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 4
I don't know why but today's numbers make me feel so sad. And before someone comes along and tells me more people die of cancer everyday, I am well aware of death facts and statistics. I can't help the way I feel though.
I think maybe it's the fact that we aren't being updated by those in power, it's almost as if they don't really care anymore.
Also we aren't even in winter yet so things are just going to get so much worse.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
If you remember my post yesterday, I ended up ordering a test. It came today - I registered it right away like it said and then I noticed that the little vial with the liquid in, had no lid on so the liquid was everywhere 🙃

I rang 119 like it said, but struggled to get another test as I had already registered one. She managed to over ride it finally and another test will be with me on Thursday. She said that she's never come across this yet, but thanked me for actually following the instructions because it does say to register it before doing anything and said she will take this further up. Such a flaw in the system 🤦‍♀️
wow what an absolute tit show. This system is suppose to be world beating. I'm not being funny but the system couldn't beat a poxy egg!

Reactions: 4
The deaths are awful! Although I guess that is the weekend backlog too. With new positive infections, it’s gone up on last week but not as much as it has in previous weeks.

Is there any news on testing issues? If not I’d say the slight increase actually might be a tiny bit of good news- infection rate may be decreasing? I hope... 😕

Attachments

The deaths are awful! Although I guess that is the weekend backlog too. With new positive infections, it’s gone up on last week but not as much as it has in previous weeks.

Is there any news on testing issues? If not I’d say the slight increase actually might be a tiny bit of good news- infection rate may be decreasing? I hope... 😕
I saw on twatter that tests are down by 60k, that could be a load of crap though. Will go and have a gander.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.