Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #57

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you don’t have one of the three cardinal symptoms then you really shouldn’t be lying to get a test. I know plenty of people have non specific viral symptoms and turn out to have COVID but there isn’t an unlimited supply of tests.
My GP told me to lie to get a test!!! As I've said before my main symptom was diarrorhea but my GP said that can be symptom and I should book a test.

She said to say I had a cough, even though I didn't. Any way test came back negative but I thought if your GP is saying you need a test, that should be one of the boxes you tick.

Also, I didn't understand my why GP couldn't do the test but I had to book an appointment half way across Glasgow when I wasn't well.

But then there's a lot of this stuff I don't understand.

Reactions: 2
Maybe because fit young people are still requiring hospital care,it’s not the deaths they’re concerned about it’s the health service crashing .When hospitals are full of Covid patients there’s no room for anyone else 🙄

Reactions: 13
If you don’t have one of the three cardinal symptoms then you really shouldn’t be lying to get a test. I know plenty of people have non specific viral symptoms and turn out to have COVID but there isn’t an unlimited supply of tests.
On the other hand if they didn’t get tested they wouldn’t have known that they have it and would have been spreading it to god knows how many people.

I get that lying to get tested isn’t a good thing but at the same time it kinda was a good thing in these circumstances?

Reactions: 8
Here's an interesting stat for you; Yesterday, in England's hospitals there were no Covid-19 deaths at all!
91 people died in hospitals in England who had tested positive for Covid-19, but all patients had known underlying health conditions and were aged between 44 and 95. If you probe a little deeper and check the daily figures of how many people died of Covid with NO underlying health conditions, the figure is very very small and on most days is less than 10!

Obviously every death is a tragedy for their loved ones but if the majority of people dying with Covid are those who have chronic illnesses that significantly shorten their life expectancy, why is the government continuing to effectively keep fit and healthy people of all ages prisoners in their own homes when the risk is so tiny?
What were the underlying conditions though? Diabetes is considered one is it not? So a 44 year old with diabetes would have most definitely been killed by the virus and not their diabetes.

Reactions: 11
What were the underlying conditions though? Diabetes is considered one is it not? So a 44 year old with diabetes would have most definitely been killed by the virus and not their diabetes.
10 people a day with no underlying health issues dying per day from a virus so easily spread doesn’t seem like a little number to me?!?

Here's an interesting stat for you; Yesterday, in England's hospitals there were no Covid-19 deaths at all!
91 people died in hospitals in England who had tested positive for Covid-19, but all patients had known underlying health conditions and were aged between 44 and 95. If you probe a little deeper and check the daily figures of how many people died of Covid with NO underlying health conditions, the figure is very very small and on most days is less than 10!

Obviously every death is a tragedy for their loved ones but if the majority of people dying with Covid are those who have chronic illnesses that significantly shorten their life expectancy, why is the government continuing to effectively keep fit and healthy people of all ages prisoners in their own homes when the risk is so tiny?
Do you know anyone with diabetes, anyone obese, anyone with brittle asthma, anyone battling cancer?
All of these people would be considered to have an underlying condition that would make them more susceptible to dying from COVID-19.
The vast majority of those people will lead a normal life, working, paying taxes. Some of the people with those underlying conditions you speak of will be treating you in hospital when you're ill. They're normal people, they're doctors, dentists, supermarket workers, carers, farmers, nurses, firemen, policemen.
They are real people, people all of us need, people their families need.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
A lot have people have “underlying conditions” that don’t necessarily shorten their life expectancy and they live fit and healthy lives.

I don’t like the undertone of Darwinism/eugenics that goes on in some of these discussions.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

Not to sound harsh, but a dead person doesn't need a hospital bed. At the end of the day there isn't a cure, so people will die but its those who need help in hospital the restrictions are trying to protect and to not swamp the NHS. Its coming into winter, the NHS cannot cope on a yearly basis during this time let alone now with covid. For me the numbers that dictate the restrictions are those in hospital and specifically how many of those on ventilators.

Reactions: 7
Not to sound harsh, but a dead person doesn't need a hospital bed. At the end of the day there isn't a cure, so people will die but its those who need help in hospital the restrictions are trying to protect and to not swamp the NHS. Its coming into winter, the NHS cannot cope on a yearly basis during this time let alone now with covid. For me the numbers that dictate the restrictions are those in hospital and specifically how many of those on ventilators.
Our local hospital has zero ICU beds left ,so people in car accidents,heart attacks ,strokes anything requiring one of those beds will have to travel an extra couple of hours in an ambulance to be seen ,and even then there's a chance they won't be .All our hospitals are working on a day to day basis atm all elective surgeries are cancelled including cancer surgeries there's no post surgery beds for people.It's been a big wake up call here I can tell you ,,

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Our local hospital has zero ICU beds left ,so people in car accidents,heart attacks ,strokes anything requiring one of those beds will have to travel an extra couple of hours in an ambulance to be seen ,and even then there's a chance they won't be .All our hospitals are working on a day to day basis atm all elective surgeries are cancelled including cancer surgeries there's no post surgery beds for people.It's been a big wake up call here I can tell you ,,
That it isn't it, you may not have covid but need an ICU bed, but because people refuse to obey the restrictions the local hospital is full you then cannot be taken there. Who's to say you would survive the drive to somewhere else that can take you. Or you cannot have life saving cancer op because its full, yes its not covid related but you are still effected by it and need to try and protect yourself and your community as bet you can.

Reactions: 15
It really does seem like some horrible lottery of how badly it affects people. So far no one in my direct circle of family or friends has caught it. Like @JoeBloggs says, we hear of 90 year olds bouncing back like Dick Van Dyke dancing on a table, and then fit runners in their 30s dying. It really does seem so bizarre and unpredictable.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before (sorry if it was) but I heard and read multiple articles about how it's not just IF you get exposed to the virus, but the AMOUNT of virus you are exposed to which determines how sick you’ll get. And that (alongside your immune system, underlying conditions etc.) plays a huge role how severely sick you will be or if you will have any symptoms at all.

Sometimes it seems like 'underlying health condition' gets substituted for 'terminal illness' in order to try and solidify an argument for some people.

Having an underlying health condition doesn't necessarily mean you're at death's door or will be anywhere close to dying if you catch so much as a sniffle. Sure, there will be some people that have critical illnesses whose lives will be in danger in those circumstances but it's far too big an umbrella to categorise all the deaths with underlying health conditions as ones that would have happened anyway so they can be shrugged off.

It seems incredibly naive to have that way of thinking.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
That it isn't it, you may not have covid but need an ICU bed, but because people refuse to obey the restrictions the local hospital is full you then cannot be taken there. Who's to say you would survive the drive to somewhere else that can take you. Or you cannot have life saving cancer op because its full, yes its not covid related but you are still effected by it and need to try and protect yourself and your community as bet you can.
Yes that's exactly it ! we can't even go to our A&E's unless it's a matter of life and death that's how bad it is here .It's a sad fact people could actually pass away because there was just no bed for them .People of all ages that is .

Reactions: 10
This is exactly what I worry about for the whole of the UK, and why I feel so angry when I see people drinking outdoors in groups, when I see protests with lots of people pushing and gathering so closely together, when I see people not wearing masks (and I hate the damn things but wear them because they do a job), when I hear of people holding house parties.

I know we're all fed up of all the restrictions, but the reality is staring us in the face when there may be no hospital beds available for any patient, Covid related or not.

Reactions: 12
Yes that's exactly it ! we can't even go to our A&E's unless it's a matter of life and death that's how bad it is here .It's a sad fact people could actually pass away because there was just no bed for them .People of all ages that is .

We had several cases like that in my country, the most disturbing one was a girl with appendicitis and no doctor would see her because she didn't have a negative test, she waited three days for one and then got her negative results back on friday afternoon when her GP has already stopped working. In the end it took them 10 days to see her and treat her and by that time her appendix had already burst and they barely saved her.

It is insane and to think this could literally happen to anyone.

• Sad
  • Wow
We had several cases like that in my country, the most disturbing one was a girl with appendicitis and no doctor would see her because she didn't have a negative test, she waited three days for one and then got her negative results back on friday afternoon when her GP has already stopped working. In the end it took them 10 days to see her and treat her and by that time her appendix had already burst and they barely saved her.

It is insane and to think this could literally happen to anyone.

Unacceptable.

I will be glad when the twenty minute tests are rolled out. And this example shows how important they will be.

This would not have happened if relatives were allowed to visit as they would have kicked off big style. A patient is frightened, not only for their health, but as to the treatment they will receive.

Reactions: 5
This is exactly what I worry about for the whole of the UK, and why I feel so angry when I see people drinking outdoors in groups, when I see protests with lots of people pushing and gathering so closely together, when I see people not wearing masks (and I hate the damn things but wear them because they do a job), when I hear of people holding house parties.

I know we're all fed up of all the restrictions, but the reality is staring us in the face when there may be no hospital beds available for any patient, Covid related or not.
Well people don't really see how much they rely on something until it's not there ,most can count on one hand how many times they've needed hospital care but it was always there should the unexpected occur, but once that's ripped from under you your eyes be well and truly opened .Like I said people here are seeing the damage first hand now with clinics and ops cancelled and our infections have halved within a couple of weeks ,so lets hope it keeps on that trajectory or I wouldn't like to think what will happen.

Reactions: 8

Sorry but this argument aways gets me ... what sort of underlying health conditions? Why are we just writing off a load of people just because they have a chronic condition or are older? It's like we're disregarding human beings for not being perfectly healthy?

What about the underlying health conditions that may shorten life expectancy but not to the extent covid would? 44 is not old

I know that's not necessarily what you mean btw - im not getting at your specific comment.

Reactions: 19
Sometimes it seems like 'underlying health condition' gets substituted for 'terminal illness' in order to try and solidify an argument for some people.

Having an underlying health condition doesn't necessarily mean you're at death's door or will be anywhere close to dying if you catch so much as a sniffle. Sure, there will be some people that have critical illnesses whose lives will be in danger in those circumstances but it's far too big an umbrella to categorise all the deaths with underlying health conditions as ones that would have happened anyway so they can be shrugged off.

It seems incredibly naive to have that way of thinking.
I love this comment so much ❤ I’m in the government shielding category due to a serious underlying health condition. However I’m also a mum and a nurse living a very normal life! The gym is my happy place, I train 6 days a week and live a very healthy lifestyle because it makes me feel great both mentally and physically. I’d be willing to bet I’m in far better shape than the “but they had underlying health conditions” brigade. Yes I have an organ that unfortunately let’s me down sometimes, but I’m in no way at deaths door and have a very normal life expectancy. It’s sheer ignorance.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

91 people died in hospitals in England who had tested positive for Covid-19,
but all patients had known underlying health conditions and were aged between 44 and 95. If you probe a little deeper and check the daily figures of how many people died of Covid with NO underlying health conditions, the figure is very very small and on most days is less than 10!

So not exactly no covid deaths then?

You realise how many things are counted as an underlying condition? The vast majority of these are chronic conditions that people live very normal lives with. Underlying health conditions doesn't mean 99 and on deaths door.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.