Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #57

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well here's a list of what the government defined as "underlying health conditions" at the start of the lockdown. (source https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news...nderlying-conditions-coronavirus-risk-3959772 )

• chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis, a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

With the exception of a couple of those I would say all these are conditions which, in themselves, will sadly shorten a person's life expectancy regardless of whether they have Covid at the time of death or not. Therefore it would be wrong to say that these people died of Covid and therefore they shouldn't be included in the daily scary statistics.
But they did die of covid??? At that time, they would not have died if they did not have covid. People can still live very full lives with many of those conditions.

Reactions: 14
To add, I know someone who was classed as a covid death, but they were already on end of life care and not expected to make it to the end of the week. They caught covid and passed, this I would not considered a covid death but just because a person has diabetes and is managing it well, catch covid and passes you cannot say the diabetes killed them.

Curious. Isn't this itch now scratched by places like Home Bargains?

🤔
Home bargins is no where near as good as Woolies, plus my nearest one is about 2 hours away so I would welcome a Woolies.

Reactions: 5
I'm 37 and chronically sick. I have MDS and acute myeloid leukaemia. I am on chemotherapy and blood transfusions and will need a bone marrow transplant in future. Despite all of this I have a good life. I still go out and I still take my kids to the zoo and go upside down on rollercoasters with them. If I got covid then my changes are extremely slim. I wouldn't want my death certificate to say I'd died of leukaemia if it was covid that had finished me off.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
What an odd comment.
Yes it may shorten someone’s life but contracting Covid may be the difference between dying at 55 or dying at 65. The fact is if it weren’t for having Covid these people may have not died at this time.

That’s like saying oh you’re going to die eventually of your underlying condition so it may as well be now.
It's like saying a person with a high bmi being hit by a bus didn't die of being hit by a bus because they'd more then likely have died from obesity. What an odd way of making a conclusion.

Reactions: 21
Well here's a list of what the government defined as "underlying health conditions" at the start of the lockdown. (source https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news...nderlying-conditions-coronavirus-risk-3959772 )

• chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson's disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis, a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • people who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • people with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

With the exception of a couple of those I would say all these are conditions which, in themselves, will sadly shorten a person's life expectancy regardless of whether they have Covid at the time of death or not. Therefore it would be wrong to say that these people died of Covid and therefore they shouldn't be included in the daily scary statistics.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no.

(post too short but nothing more to say than no)

• Haha
Reactions: 12
There's literally no good outcomes for anyone of this plastic wrapping of clothes and toasters.

Just concerning the civil unrest that is only likely to increase.

There's only a think veneer of society imo, and it doesn't take much for that to fall away.
I’m in the US and we would quite literally have another civil war start right in the middle of the supermarket if they ever tried to do something like that here :oops: It just wouldn’t work.

Reactions: 7
We had one of the best performing Woolies in the UK in our town. It was also busy and v.profitable. It's an Iceland now and I can't think of any place it could go 😔
Ours is now a New Look. I do hope it’s not a total flop if/when they return. I’d happily see my local WHSmiths become a woolies because who even shops at Smiths these days anyway?

Reactions: 5
I’m in the government shielding category due to a serious underlying health condition. However I’m also a mum and a nurse living a very normal life! The gym is my happy place, I train 6 days a week and live a very healthy lifestyle because it makes me feel great both mentally and physically. I’d be willing to bet I’m in far better shape than the “but they had underlying health conditions” brigade. Yes I have an organ that unfortunately let’s me down sometimes, but I’m in no way at deaths door and have a very normal life expectancy. It’s sheer ignorance.
I am quoting my own post @BasilRathbon as my condition is on the underlying health condition list you’ve copied and pasted. This is my very normal and healthy life. What school of medicine did you go to out of interest? Your ignorance is astounding.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Ours is now a New Look. I do hope it’s not a total flop if/when they return. I’d happily see my local WHSmiths become a woolies because who even shops at Smiths these days anyway?
Dont take away my Smiths. Bloody love it in there, always mooching around the stationary

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Woolies could do stationary and I bet it would be better and cheaper!

Do they still try and sell you overpriced chocolate bars at the till?😆
Woolies stationary was never up to Smiths level. Though I'd change Smiths for paperchase if I could.

They totally do 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
So if person a went to the shop on a Sunday, would person b...

just kidding.

I am so over this. When will it disappear? Please someone tell me. 🙏

• Haha
Reactions: 22
It's like saying a person with a high bmi being hit by a bus didn't die of being hit by a bus because they'd more then likely have died from obesity. What an odd way of making a conclusion.
Well maybe I should’ve said died now rather than died from but you get my point 😂 if they hadn’t had an underlying condition they might not have died from Covid. Anyway I think we’re both splitting hairs here.

I think excess deaths is a better way to assess the extent of it and it’s reported today it’s gone beyond 60,000. The backlog of issues from this is going to be spread over years...

Reactions: 3
I am quoting my own post @BasilRathbon as my condition is on the underlying health condition list you’ve copied and pasted. This is my very normal and healthy life. What school of medicine did you go to out of interest? Your ignorance is astounding.
You don't need to have attended medical school to have an opinion; an inquiring mind and the ability to assess actual risk rather than scaremongering headlines should suffice. The point I'm making is that an awful lot of people who've been registering fo dying of Covid have died of something else, they just happened to have tested positive for Covid when they passed.

Suppose someone with terminal cancer tests positive the day before they die - have they died of Covid? Of course they haven't, they've died of cancer, but it will be recorded as a Covid death.
Or supposing a 90 year old in a care home tests positive the day before they die -have they died of Covid? Of course they haven't, they've died of cancer, but it will be recorded as a Covid death.

The average age of coronavirus fatalities is 82, which is actually higher than the average life expectancy! There really is no need for the vast majority of us to fear it, nor is there any need for the draconian tier 3 restrictions many of us are living under.

Reactions: 2

• chronic kidney disease
  • diabetes

ANY pre-existing condition is an underlying health condition.

Its like saying if you are partially deaf, crossed the road and was killed by an oncoming car because you didn’t hear it coming, you died because you were partially deaf.
Eta sorry wrote that before i saw someone had wrote nearly an identical thing 😂

Reactions: 3
So if person a went to the shop on a Sunday, would person b...

just kidding.

I am so over this. When will it disappear? Please someone tell me. 🙏
I feel ya ! I was the same with a Prince Philip comment ,couldn't get rid of him for ages 😂

Reactions: 2
You don't need to have attended medical school to have an opinion; an inquiring mind and the ability to assess actual risk rather than scaremongering headlines should suffice. The point I'm making is that an awful lot of people who've been registering fo dying of Covid have died of something else, they just happened to have tested positive for Covid when they passed.

Suppose someone with terminal cancer tests positive the day before they die - have they died of Covid? Of course they haven't, they've died of cancer, but it will be recorded as a Covid death.
Or supposing a 90 year old in a care home tests positive the day before they die -have they died of Covid? Of course they haven't, they've died of cancer, but it will be recorded as a Covid death.

The average age of coronavirus fatalities is 82, which is actually higher than the average life expectancy! There really is no need for the vast majority of us to fear it, nor is there any need for the draconian tier 3 restrictions many of us are living under.
You are absolutely right, any idiot can have an opinion, I’ll leave it at that 😂 You can’t “assess” what you so painfully clearly don’t understand.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.