Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #57

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Regarding Wales and ‘banning’ sales of clothes etc, will it be actually enforced? Or will it be like first time round where it felt illegal to pick up a bottle of wine 🤦‍♀️

Ridiculous rule- can think of reasons why people might need to pick up clothes during next 2 weeks, would they then have to explain at till why they are purchasing?!

Reactions: 3
Regarding Wales and ‘banning’ sales of clothes etc, will it be actually enforced? Or will it be like first time round where it felt illegal to pick up a bottle of wine 🤦‍♀️

Ridiculous rule- can think of reasons why people might need to pick up clothes during next 2 weeks, would they then have to explain at till why they are purchasing?!
I’m thinking probably just section those areas off, they did do that in a few big supermarkets last time. People need clothes though?! I know this is quite a niche reason but for example I work with elderly people and a lot of them have recently come out of hospital and sometimes none of their clothes fit them anymore as they have lost a lot of weight from being ill. They can’t exactly just go on ASOS and order something and they might not have younger family members that can do that either. I really doubt the enforcement will actually happen, just the media hyping it up (I hope!)

Reactions: 10
I’m thinking probably just section those areas off, they did do that in a few big supermarkets last time. People need clothes though?! I know this is quite a niche reason but for example I work with elderly people and a lot of them have recently come out of hospital and sometimes none of their clothes fit them anymore as they have lost a lot of weight from being ill. They can’t exactly just go on ASOS and order something and they might not have younger family members that can do that either. I really doubt the enforcement will actually happen, just the media hyping it up (I hope!)
Exactly!

As soon as I read it I thought of myself as I’m due to give birth soon and loads of reasons myself or baby might need some impromptu clothing items at super short notice I might not have at home

Fingers crossed it’s the usual media hype!

Reactions: 6

Tbh the last lockdown they enforced that here they just closed off the clothes dept and you would've had to squeeze through the barriers to get near them so would have got some funny looks if you dared,,

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Exactly!

As soon as I read it I thought of myself as I’m due to give birth soon and loads of reasons myself or baby might need some impromptu clothing items at super short notice I might not have at home

Fingers crossed it’s the usual media hype!
I had newborn twins at the begining of lockdown 1 and was terrified! I didn't have enough baby clothes of bigger sizes and I ran frantically to buy 6 months worth of sleepsuits etc from Sainsbury's as so many online shops closed too or deliveries were slow. Seems a terrible idea to me 😬

Reactions: 9
I get the monopoly supermarkets have during lockdown but wtf? I can see this getting out of hand again like all the ‘Easter eggs aren’t essential’ bollocks.

Supermarkets told sell only essentials in Wales lockdown https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-54648194
Who decides what's "essential"?
Is cake essential? alcohol? coca cola?
Probably not for actually sustaining life, but yes they are if life is to have any joy in it.

If the Welsh government want to dictate that people only buy essentials, maybe they should just close everything and hand out food packs to every household.

And yet as far as I'm aware SNP MP Margaret Ferrier still hasn't been fined or faced any police action after she travelled on a train from Scotland to the HoC in London while testing positive for the virus and putting many passengers at risk.

Funny old world
No, they ducked out of taking any actual action by deciding that either her test or her "to London" travel was before the legislation properly kicked in, or some such scam was pulled on her behalf.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
Who decides what's "essential"?
Is cake essential? alcohol? coca cola?
Probably not for actually sustaining life, but yes they are if life is to have any joy in it.

If the Welsh government want to dictate that people only buy essentials, maybe they should just close everything and hand out food packs to every household.

No, they ducked out of taking any actual action by deciding that either her test or her "to London" travel was before the legislation properly kicked in, or some such scam was pulled on her behalf.

If they stopped me from buying Pepsi Max or Dairy Milk (or Chocolate Hob Nobs depending on the time of the month...) I would not be held responsible for my actions 🤣🙂🤣

Absolute imbeciles, if they think they can enforce this!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Don’t know if there’s a post related. But I was just told I qualified for the free school lunches when the children were off for a long time. Didn’t Claim because I didn’t no, now we’re struggling. Is there any backdate system or is it a case of if you missed it you missed out?
I had the vouchers and my last ones for the holidays didn't work (£210) I couldn't contact anyone with school being closed. Head teacher looked into it but said they can't do anything as the code for edenred had expired. He did say he has access to funding if we are struggling. Speak to school as they will be able to help, they can do a food bank referral or possibly have some funds available. Hope you're ok. X

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I remember in the last lockdown our Asda taped off huge sections of non-essentials, including books, magazines, toys and craft 'supplies'.
The whole country had just been thrown in to home learning and you couldn't get to the pencils or plain paper 😑
Our BnM closed off the whole toy aisle too, obviously no children were having a birthday during that time.
A lot of what is deemed non-essential actually helps many, my 80 year old Nan for instance, took to doing wordsearches and adult dot to dots to pass some of her time. All sold in asda and deemed non-essential. They obviously don't think about that.
Also the knock on effect to the company's producing and supply these items must be felt further down the chain.
I think it's enough to ask people to just do one main shop a week and only go out to the shop again if essential.

• Wow
Reactions: 22
On a lighter note all the small businesses and football clubs up and down the country confirming that they will be offering or funding meals for children is heartwarming. I was almost in tears reading all the reports. It’s nice to know some of the country has a conscience at least.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Lots of pubs, restaurants and takeaways offering food for children eligible for free schools meals in my town. Very lovely to see. Many saying they need no proof and will ask no questions, just to go in and ask for a child’s lunch. If only our government was full of people that compassionate (or just with any compassion at all🙄)

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Lots of pubs, restaurants and takeaways offering food for children eligible for free schools meals in my town. Very lovely to see. Many saying they need no proof and will ask no questions, just to go in and ask for a child’s lunch. If only our government was full of people that compassionate (or just with any compassion at all🙄)
And many of these cafes and restaurants are in tier 2 & 3 areas so struggling themselves!

Reactions: 13
I think if you have a Tory MP who has voted down the FSM over the holidays, you should write to them and ask them to justify their decision. Even better if they have a public Facebook or Twitter account.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.