Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #57

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
21 students each fined £200!

And yet as far as I'm aware SNP MP Margaret Ferrier still hasn't been fined or faced any police action after she travelled on a train from Scotland to the HoC in London while testing positive for the virus and putting many passengers at risk.

Funny old world

• Angry
Reactions: 18
Well lockdown in Wales tomorrow and we’ve been in a local lockdown for 3 weeks. My sons employer (office) have had staff on furlough since March and they rang him today to say he returns a week on Monday, in the middle of the Welsh lockdown. So there goes my feeling safe for a couple of weeks with my daughter off school, and my anxiety ramping up again 🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Don’t know if there’s a post related. But I was just told I qualified for the free school lunches when the children were off for a long time. Didn’t Claim because I didn’t no, now we’re struggling. Is there any backdate system or is it a case of if you missed it you missed out?

• Sad
Reactions: 2
And yet as far as I'm aware SNP MP Margaret Ferrier still hasn't been fined or faced any police action after she travelled on a train from Scotland to the HoC in London while testing positive for the virus and putting many passengers at risk.

Funny old world
Public trust in politicians has completely eroded.

Actions like this and seeing them go unpunished is absolutely sickening and infuriating. It's a very long stretch of comparison but, in Scotland, if you have HIV and sleep with someone without declaring it you can be prosecuted: even if transmission does not occur. I'm only using this as an example because Ferrier KNEW she had an (to some deadly and to others life limiting) easily transmittable disease and knowingly took public transport.

I understand why she can't be fired (it's dangerous to start setting precedent regarding dismissing democratically elected representatives) but why should she not face the same level of criminal prosecution as the everyday lay person.

It's really undefendable.

I genuinely, genuinely do not understand how buying a vase from Tesco along with your frozen pizza would in anyway detract from the Covid effort

Let's hope no one in Wales needs any knickers over the next two weeks...

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Don’t know if there’s a post related. But I was just told I qualified for the free school lunches when the children were off for a long time. Didn’t Claim because I didn’t no, now we’re struggling. Is there any backdate system or is it a case of if you missed it you missed out?
I'm pretty sure you've missed out. Double check with the office team or head at your children's school though.
They may be able to help you still. Our school are still giving massive free breakfast packs out to every child from a low income family and then free cereal to anyone else who needs it.
There may be something they can do to help or they can give you a foodbank voucher x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
so this is slightly OT but I am confused at advice online, I am in furlough now but I think I am about to be made redundant.. if I am, would my company have to pay back the furlough money? (this is what a friend said but I cannot understand if this is still true)
I'm not sure about England but here I think the employers have to keep people on until January to avail of it,,,sorry this applies to the job retention bonus .

Last edited:
What the duck? That doesn't seem right to me. We never had those types of restrictions.
We didn’t last time. I totally understand it’s unfair to smaller retailers and that the supermarkets will profit from being the only place selling clothing or kitchen stuff like pots and pans etc in person but the fact is people still need this stuff and being told what we can buy when it’s there feels so restrictive.

Now just the online retailers will have even more of a monopoly and hey, screw all the old people who don’t use the internet if they want to buy some non essentials on their weekly shop. No can do.

Reactions: 12
I don't really see the problem, they're still going to be able to sell all food and drink products. The term 'essential' doesn't mean the bare minimum of what you need to survive in this instance, which I understand is potentially misleading and why some people were criticised for buying chocolate and biscuits etc. when it was perfectly fine the first time round.

If people aren't allowed to go into regular clothes shops to try and minimise spread then it makes no sense that they can wander round and browse clothes just because they're in a supermarket. It's also to help businesses stay in business because independent clothes shops (and chains for that matter) can't open in order to potentially get their share of the custom.

Reactions: 3
I don't really see the problem, they're still going to be able to sell all food and drink products. The term 'essential' doesn't mean the bare minimum of what you need to survive in this instance, which I understand is potentially misleading and why some people were criticised for buying chocolate and biscuits etc. when it was perfectly fine the first time round.

If people aren't allowed to go into regular clothes shops to try and minimise spread then it makes no sense that they can wander round and browse clothes just because they're in a supermarket. It's also to help businesses stay in business because independent clothes shops (and chains for that matter) can't open in order to potentially get their share of the custom.
I think you should be allowed to browse. The spread isn't happening in grocery stores or retail. It is happening at schools, pubs, and social gatherings where masks are not worn. You are not really constantly around people in the supermarket long enough to catch it (15 minutes minimum).

Reactions: 11
I don't really see the problem, they're still going to be able to sell all food and drink products. The term 'essential' doesn't mean the bare minimum of what you need to survive in this instance, which understand is potentially misleading and why some people were criticised for buying chocolate and biscuits etc. when it was perfectly fine the first time round.

I know they are still selling food and drink, I read the article before I posted lol.

Guarantee you’ll be getting some busy bodies in the supermarket taking it upon themselves to decide stuff isn’t essential though that’s not in the guidance.

It’s only in Wales and I don’t live there (I also only actually buy food in supermarkets lol) but I just think it’s overly restrictive and a pile of wank 🤷🏻‍♀️ That’s all.

I know they are still selling food and drink, I read the article before I posted lol.

Guarantee you’ll be getting some busy bodies in the supermarket taking it upon themselves to decide stuff isn’t essential though that’s not in the guidance.

It’s only in Wales and I don’t live there (I also only actually buy food in supermarkets lol) but I just think it’s overly restrictive and a pile of wank 🤷🏻‍♀️ That’s all.
I wasn't suggesting you hadn't read it. I thought I was backing up what you'd said about Easter eggs not being seen as essentials by some people more than anything.

I don't live in Wales or buy my clothing from supermarkets so maybe thats why I don't see the issue with it.

Reactions: 1

Exactly.

These supermarket additional purchases are 9/10 times things you buy on impulse. I'm not not buying a candle from an independent retailer because I got one from Asda. I'm only buying one in the first place because I've been suckered in at the supermarket.

And, let's be honest, it's not protecting small business at all. Picking up a pair of PJs with your parsnips isn't what has killed independent businesses. It's the extortionate unit rentals and the tax evading, precarious and unethical supply chain using online retailers. Who, incidentally, will be the ones to benefit from measures like this.

Reactions: 14
So what will happen to all the ‘non essential’ clothing and tit that can’t be sold? It’ll be sat there for months and then they’ll have to sell it in the sale anyway because it’s out of season. Which is nice for us customers because bargains. But if someone needs a winter coat now, they’re not going to wait until the sale in spring to grab one, they’ll probably go online instead - which also isn’t helpful to smaller retailers.

So what will happen to all the ‘non essential’ clothing and tit that can’t be sold? It’ll be sat there for months and then they’ll have to sell it in the sale anyway because it’s out of season. Which is nice for us customers because bargains. But if someone needs a winter coat now, they’re not going to wait until the sale in spring to grab one, they’ll probably go online instead - which also isn’t helpful to smaller retailers.
I think this is just applying to the 2 week fire break lockdown. It’s a load of bollocks regardless

Tonight I have such a strong feeling that this is the start of something - some sort of civil war/mass rioting. It’s all a mess, people are pissed off and at breaking point, government officials can’t agree on anything, people aren’t being given the support and advice they are asking for. The vibe has definitely changed drastically over the last week or so.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Has anyone seen Asda’s latest social media ad based on the Tesco sparkly tops that went viral 😂

9849BD4F-F5C2-4552-BCB9-9C6EA74DB2F0.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.