Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No what I was referring to was a normal life we'll always be living in the new normal unless we wish to sacrifice vulnerable people ..
Why do you think that when there have been previous pandemics that have still allowed us to reach the normal we had? What do you think will permanently change?

This isn't directed at you but I remember earlier on in these threads someone said it made them sad to think their children would never experience a nightclub or a live gig in their lifetime, and that is just so ludicrous to me that it's still stuck in my mind.

Reactions: 9
Don’t personally insult me. This is the second time and it says a lot about who you are. Washing your hands and keeping your distance is what we are nationally being asked to do to avoid areas going in to lockdown. People like myself who have been directly, severely affected in “life and death” terms tend to have a different view on this and your lack of empathy is disgusting.
I haven't insulted you, you keep repeating that all people are being asked to do is was their hands which is far from the case and I don't know why you are insisting it is. Implying I don't want to wash my hands and I'm a horrible person with no empathy is just false. Where is the empathy for the millions of people worried about putting food on the table?
I am having to sacrifice my sole income as a direct result of social distancing, this is about a whole lot more than hand washing.

There is a balance to be struck here, people are vulnerable in more ways than from coronavirus.

• Angry
Reactions: 15
Why do you think that when there have been previous pandemics that have still allowed us to reach the normal we had? What do you think will permanently change?

This isn't directed at you but I remember earlier on in these threads someone said it made them sad to think their children would never experience a nightclub or a live gig in their lifetime, and that is just so ludicrous to me that it's still stuck in my mind.
We cant live like this forever even the simple things like going to the cinema is a hassle.

Reactions: 9
That's what I was saying we need to work with it not against it or else we'll always be in lockdown ( unless it's gone ) going back to a Normal life will not solve any of these issues ,infections will rise lockdowns will occur .There is no going back to the life we had that is a fact we're living it ..
But the economy cannot run like that! Restaurants and pubs need full capacity to turn profit, they now have half of their customers if not less, and that’s best case scenario. People don’t go to the shops - shops close, who suffers - all the shop assistants, shop owners, landlords, estate agents, solicitors, accountants. It’s a landslide. People don’t fly - stewardesses, pilots, all the people who work in airports, people who serve the airplanes, people who make airplanes and parts for them, people who produce fuel.
If one out of 10 people loses their job because of this, it will be 3.2 million people. We could have a lot more job losses, let’s say 2 out of 10. That’s 6.4 million.
And yet there are 1.5 million shielders. The math doesn’t add up.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Countries like Sweden who had no lockdown and have actually seemed to ride it out so to speak, I am interested to know what happened to their vulnerable population?
Sweden have 57 people per sq mile, compared to the UK with 1010 People per sq mile.

I’m guessing it was harder to spread the virus with a much smaller population in a bigger space.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Sweden have strict SD measures ,even the young people have to follow .They're not living a normal life like we had ..
I have family in Sweden and I'm not sure this is 100% the case. A lot of things that have stopped here are still going ahead. My cousins are involved in Scouting and they have been doing the usual summer camps etc with hardly any social distancing from what I have seen.

Reactions: 6
We cant live like this forever even the simple things like going to the cinema is a hassle.
Exactly. Nothing is truly enjoyable at the moment because of the implementations which have been put in. Doesn't mean I'm not adhering to them in order to have some enjoyment at the moment though, and to get out of the other side of it all.

I'm just genuinely intrigued why some people think this is the only life we'll ever know now.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Sweden have 57 people per sq mile, compared to the UK with 1010 People per sq mile.

I’m guessing it was harder to spread the virus with a much smaller population in a bigger space.
Exactly this. Their entire country's population is on par with London!

Reactions: 1

I didn't say it would permanently change I said we have to live with it till a vaccine or treatment becomes available ,but people going against it instead of working with it is just making things worse infections are rising and lockdowns are occurring that is a fact ..

• Heart
Reactions: 3
That's what I was saying we need to work with it not against it or else we'll always be in lockdown ( unless it's gone ) going back to a Normal life will not solve any of these issues ,infections will rise lockdowns will occur .There is no going back to the life we had that is a fact we're living it ..
Sorry but I just wholeheartedly think you are wrong.

There's been pandemics before and throughout history and life has gone back to normal. Things will go back to normal and probably sooner than we would think if only because money makes the world go round. Whether you think that's right or not, it's a fact.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Do you think that right now Boris, Hancock and Whitty might be having the exact same conversation in their watsapp group?! 🤔😄
sorry just trying to lighten the mood, the thought made me smile

The whole situation is just impossible People losing their jobs, not being able to afford food and bills, facing the risk of homelessness is just as pressing an issue as the vulnerable from the virus. Given the choice of being vulnerable and contracting covid or being young fit and healthy but losing my job and home and ability to feed myself...I’d struggle to make a choice. Devastating potential outcomes in either scenario.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I haven't insulted you, you keep repeating that all people are being asked to do is was their hands which is far from the case and I don't know why you are insisting it is. Implying I don't want to wash my hands and I'm a horrible person with no empathy is just false. Where is the empathy for the millions of people worried about putting food on the table?
I am having to sacrifice my sole income as a direct result of social distancing, this is about a whole lot more than hand washing.
Calling someone “obtuse” is an insult, and I can only take someone as they present themselves, which is perhaps something you should consider. Losing employment and losing a loved one aren’t the same and I won’t treat them as so. One is worrying if you don’t have other options or savings, the other is absolutely devastating. I’m not going to engage with you anymore, your lack of understanding of this virus is evident and I hope your family never have to experience what mine has.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What a disgusting remark ! keeping the vulnerable safe has to be a priority..
I think the point is that those shielding aren’t the only vulnerable ones in all this now. People are losing jobs businesses are collapsing some self employed people have been totally forgotten in all this too. The financial and mental health fallout from this year will be horrific. My partner will probably be re-furloughed and his workplace are also cutting jobs, all agency staff have already been given the boot so now the more experienced workers are on the chopping block. Hopefully his will be safe but... it’s very unnerving especially as there doesn’t seem much hope of me being able to find work with how things are going and having been a sahm for the past few years, it’s why the thought of a second lockdown is terrifying, it feels like it’ll seal our fate. Local lockdowns seem utterly pointless anyway yet will cause more damage to the economy. At some point things need to start resembling some sense of normality, it’s happened with previous pandemics, what’s so special about Covid? Now significantly less people are dying, we really need to start considering all kinds of vulnerability caused by this pandemic. Health is important of course, but so is being able to keep a roof over your head, stability for the children, not being stuck with your domestic abuser (dv reports doubled during lockdown where I am) and staying mentally well.

FWIW I’m still hand washing, distancing as much as possible and wearing a mask to the shops and wherever else requires it. Having these thoughts and feelings doesn’t mean I completely disregard things like that.

Reactions: 13
But the economy cannot run like that! Restaurants and pubs need full capacity to turn profit, they now have half of their customers if not less, and that’s best case scenario. People don’t go to the shops - shops close, who suffers - all the shop assistants, shop owners, landlords, estate agents, solicitors, accountants. It’s a landslide. People don’t fly - stewardesses, pilots, all the people who work in airports, people who serve the airplanes, people who make airplanes and parts for them, people who produce fuel.
If one out of 10 people loses their job because of this, it will be 3.2 million people. We could have a lot more job losses, let’s say 2 out of 10. That’s 6.4 million.
And yet there are 1.5 million shielders. The math doesn’t add up.
Yes I agree but it's all we have right now ,since masks were brought in supermarkets have seen a loss in customers .Shielders and vulnerable are different categories there will be many more vulnerable people than there will be shielders if all these people were to isolate the economy will take a massive hit anyway from schools to supermarkets to hospitals that's why it's better to work with the advice than against it till treatments etc are found.

I think the point is that those shielding aren’t the only vulnerable ones in all this now. People are losing jobs businesses are collapsing some self employed people have been totally forgotten in all this too. The financial and mental health fallout from this year will be horrific. My partner will probably be re-furloughed and his workplace are also cutting jobs, all agency staff have already been given the boot so now the more experienced workers are on the chopping block. Hopefully his will be safe but... it’s very unnerving especially as there doesn’t seem much hope of me being able to find work with how things are going and having been a sahm for the past few years, it’s why the thought of a second lockdown is terrifying, it feels like it’ll seal our fate. Local lockdowns seem utterly pointless anyway yet will cause more damage to the economy. At some point things need to start resembling some sense of normality, it’s happened with previous pandemics, what’s so special about Covid? Now significantly less people are dying, we really need to start considering all kinds of vulnerability caused by this pandemic. Health is important of course, but so is being able to keep a roof over your head, stability for the children, not being stuck with your domestic abuser (dv reports doubled during lockdown where I am) and staying mentally well.

FWIW I’m still hand washing, distancing as much as possible and wearing a mask to the shops and wherever else requires it. Having these thoughts and feelings doesn’t mean I completely disregard things like that.
Yes I agree but ignoring the advice isn't going to get us any further forward it just adds to more lockdowns

Reactions: 2
I am not sure anyone here is suggesting ignoring advice? Just incredibly frustrated at how things are.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.