Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't read the news anymore or watch the press conferences. I keep up with the numbers daily and that is it.
Still stick with sanitizing and washing hands but watching the news all the time was not good for me.

Reactions: 8
A child and parent has tested positive in a primary school in my local authority and it seems like everyone is panicking. I feel there would of course have been some cases what remains to be seen now is will it spread like wildfire 😬

The council's post about it on Facebook has had over 900 shares in two hours !!

There are also a few clusters with high school kids in Scotland as well. Everyone seems very on edge !

• Wow
Reactions: 4
A child and parent has tested positive in a primary school in my local authority and it seems like everyone is panicking. I feel there would of course have been some cases what remains to be seen now is will it spread like wildfire 😬

There are also a few clusters with high school kids in Scotland as well. Everyone seems very on edge !
Are you in an area with a lot of cases? I read about the clusters earlier seems they think house parties are to blame ..

52 cases in the past week. Is that a lot ? I'm not really sure ! It's a large population.

Apparently it's 4.4 cases per 100,000

Reactions: 3

Highly likely at this stage considering schools have just gone back it will be an isolated case or they'll see a couple more pop up with it.
Definitely don't think it will spread like wildfire at the moment.
Hopefully parent and child make a swift recovery and have no underlying health issues.

What are your predictions for the next 6-12 months?

Hubby and I talking about how life feels very much on hold. We've adhered completing to the guidelines and have kept our circle small. Literally only seeing a few family members at a distance, on a couple of occasions - when we were allowed inside the home.

Do we think there will be a rise in cases in the winter? Do we think schools will end up partial lockdowns? Or blended learning... (Secondary). Kids in 1-2 days a week and then online for the rest? Will people feel more comfortable travelling abroad next summer? Will there be a vaccine by next year? Will we still be wearing face masks next summer? Still keeping 1m+?

We're not mind readers but I'm curious to know peoples thoughts. And also - I just want to say that this forum has really kept being going during this is pandemic. It's great to be able to offload and discuss things x ❤

• Heart
What are your predictions for the next 6-12 months?

Hubby and I talking about how life feels very much on hold. We've adhered completing to the guidelines and have kept our circle small. Literally only seeing a few family's at a distance, on a couple of occasions - when we were allowed inside the home.

Do we think there will be a rise in cases in the winter? Do we think schools will end up partial lockdowns? Or blended learning... (Secondary). Kids in 1+2 days a week and then online for the rest? Will people feel more comfortable travelling abroad next summer? Will there be a vaccine by next year? Will we still be wearing face masks next summer? Still keeping 1m+.

We're not mind readers but I'm curious to know peoples thoughts. And also - I just want to say that this forum has really kept being going during this is pandemic. It's great to be able to offload and discuss things x ❤
We are just sticking to our household and not seeing anyone. We have no family here and too many of our friends are mixing in big circles. My husband goes to the office twice a week but there are not many others in.

I am not sure if you will see much of a rise in the winter? I feel like temperature doesn't play a big part. I live somewhere where winters can get to -30 or below. In fact, when COVID was first found in my country, it was that cold. We had enough cases but not the same huge amount as Europe or the UK. Also, it seems warmer weather doesn't kill it either. As our summers are the mid-30s and the virus is still here... we have all extremes lol. I think the media will try to hype up a big winter wave but I wouldn't pay too much attention. Stick to what you are doing...distancing and masks and hopefully, all will be okay. I have never had the regular flu shot this year but will be getting it when it is available... hopefully, then I can avoid getting that and not worrying about the flu and covid.

I don't know when mask-wearing will end... it will be if we get a vaccine or not. On the Netflix documentary Coronavirus Explained they have an episode about the vaccine... they said even if the vaccine had a 50% success rate, that would be good.. because as with every vaccine, it won't work for every single person.

I think the thing to keep an eye on is the death rate. If deaths are still "low" next summer and the virus hasn't mutated to be more deadly, then perhaps we will travel. Right now though, I definitely wouldn't get on a plane. Perhaps by then, they will also have more research and treatment for the long-term effects some people get from covid.

Reactions: 3
I must admit I find the 'winter flu outbreak is coming' narrative frustrating as surely all of the hygiene measures alone we now have in place in private and public will help reduce that spread?

Reactions: 6
I guess they are worried about people spending less time outdoors and more time indoors. Apparently central heating increases the spread of Covid because it dries up your mucous membranes, especially in the nose, and so you get tiny cracks or something like that which is easier for the virus to penetrate.
Also it’s one thing to queue outside a shop/restaurant in glorious sunshine and a whole other thing when it’s cold and wet in winter. And the NHS gets overwhelmed in winter even without Covid, so who knows what will happen.
Have you guys seen that wedding with 100 people that happened in Blackburn? Honestly, what are people thinking?!

I know, it is so frustrating. Working in the wedding industry we are on our knees at the moment and can't see light at the end of the tunnel right now. But couples are not as understanding anymore. "But how come you can have 60 in a pub?" Etc. Which I sympathise with but legally we can't 😔

Where did it say its becoming a rule to wear masks in public between 6pm-11pm at night? I only heard half of it on the radio

How are you mums with teenagers coping? I’m finding it hard work repeating myself telling them to wear masks in shops, hand sanitiser, stay 1-2 metres apart.... the eye rolls I get and teenage kickback.

Reactions: 2
Went on the tube in London yesterday for the first time in months - reasonably busy on the trains but tons of people not bothering with face masks and plenty of transport police on there too not doing anything about it. Northern Line was the worst, in my admittedly limited survey of one journey across London, only about 50-60% of people I saw were masked.

The continual tannoy announcements in stations saying to "wear a face covering, it protects us all" was like something out of Bladerunner or other messed up future. Still at least "see it say it sort it" or whatever it used to be every two minutes is now gone.

I also noted that there was barely any up to date advertising. Tons of out of date theatre posters on the escalators, not just for shows now closed by coronavirus but plenty for shows that were supposed to be closed by now anyway, TfL obviously don't have new adverts coming in to put in their place. Lots of blank advert spaces on the trains, and on the platforms lots have been replaced with TfL propaganda adverts. Lack of advertising revenue must be really hurting TfL by now.

Did the food shopping yesterday for the first time since the mask rule was ‘enforced’. Bit of a mix bag in terms of who was wearing a mask and who wasn’t, but what bothers me more is seeing people wearing a mask but with their nose poking over the top. For no real reason except it just looks a bit silly and kinda defeats the point. Either wear It properly or don’t wear it at all in my opinion.

Reactions: 11
Did the food shopping yesterday for the first time since the mask rule was ‘enforced’. Bit of a mix bag in terms of who was wearing a mask and who wasn’t, but what bothers me more is seeing people wearing a mask but with their nose poking over the top. For no real reason except it just looks a bit silly and kinda defeats the point. Either wear It properly or don’t wear it at all in my opinion.
Bit like men wearing pants with there dick hanging over the top of it or wearing a bra with your nipples hanging over the top 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 14
3 more pupils have tested positive in Paisley,I was looking to Scotland as a guide to how we'd fare here as we were in a similar position virus wise . Hopefully it's just a blip for our schools would deff be closed down as they're so small and pupils are more enclosed..

I went to a retail park in Essex on Saturday and I'd say 95% of people were wearing masks. I live in London and estimate the figure to be around 50% in supermarkets / shops I've been in. I've not been on the tube since March so can't comment on that.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Local news is reporting that residents could be getting a knock on the door from ‘contact tracers’ to track people down if they can’t contact them via phone. The council is “very concerned that a serious spike could set us back”.

I dunno it seems reasonable I guess but with everything going on I don’t want strangers knocking on my door and I’m sure I’m not the only one. I feel like everything I read on Covid now just makes me roll my eyes so hard. The council going on about ‘serious spikes’ won’t help ease the locals and I’m getting to that point where I just do not care and want things to start going back to normal, not rational but it’s where I am. It’s like burnout.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.