Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I guess unfortunately at the end for the government and for the people it will become a choice between vulnerable people who were shielding (1.5 million) and everyone else. There is an estimate that currently there are still 9.5-9.6 million jobs on furlough. How many of those will get their job back? That’s not including everyone who is currently unemployed, has been made redundant or going to be made redundant despite being brought back from furlough, all the graduates and students.
I don’t like the idea of survival of the fittest. But more people are going to suffer if we do not get back to normal - whether it is going to be their mental health, their job, or other health conditions that have not been treated in all this time.
What you quoted there is people shielding ,how many people fall under the " Vulnerable " category ?

Reactions: 1
I guess unfortunately at the end for the government and for the people it will become a choice between vulnerable people who were shielding (1.5 million) and everyone else. There is an estimate that currently there are still 9.5-9.6 million jobs on furlough. How many of those will get their job back? That’s not including everyone who is currently unemployed, has been made redundant or going to be made redundant despite being brought back from furlough, all the graduates and students.
I don’t like the idea of survival of the fittest. But more people are going to suffer if we do not get back to normal - whether it is going to be their mental health, their job, or other health conditions that have not been treated in all this time.
This is why social distancing and wearing masks on top of increased hand hygiene is so important and makes me so sad when I see people not following those guidelines. It’s the only bridge we currently have between where we were and where we want to be, the compromise towards getting the economy back up and running and our lives more liveable yet protecting our vulnerable so to me the ones who ignore it are being somewhat selfish.

Reactions: 8
What a disgusting remark ! keeping the vulnerable safe has to be a priority..
Even the scientists acknowledge that actually there has to be a balance.

Otherwise we would still be in full lockdown until it is gone.

If we consistently prioritize the vulnerable, everyone else is f*cked. There has to be some give and take, it can't just be one group get priority over everyone else whilst the world falls apart.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
There are also children in the shielded category. Anyone boasting about deliberately undermining a national effort to get all of our lives back to where we all want them to be really astounds me. It’s such an own goal. The balance is wash your hands, keep your distance. It’s literally nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: 9
Even the scientists acknowledge that actually there has to be a balance.

Otherwise we would still be in full lockdown until it is gone.

If we consistently prioritize the vulnerable, everyone else is f*cked. There has to be some give and take, it can't just be one group get priority over everyone else.
You didn't say balance you said back to a " normal life " and how will that happen without putting lives on the line ?

There are also children in the shielded category. Anyone boasting about deliberately undermining a national effort to get all of our lives back to where we all want them to be really astounds me. It’s such an own goal. The balance is wash your hands, keep your distance. It’s literally nothing in the grand scheme of things.
No one has boasted about this here?🙄
You didn't say balance you said back to a " normal life " and how will that happen without putting lives on the line ?
Lol I'm not even who who were replying monga so I said nothing of the sort. I just replied to your comment. You were talking with hnoz.

Reactions: 4
What exactly was a disgusting remark? I really don't think I have said anything that harsh. If people feel too vulnerable to integrate back into society then they should by all means continue to shield.
How can millions of families losing their income not be a concern for you?

Why is it disgusting to question why I have to lose my income? Is me being able to feed my family and keep a roof over my head not a priority?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
No one has boasted about this here?🙄

Lol I'm not even who who were replying monga so I said nothing of the sort. I just replied to your comment. You were talking with hnoz.
Sorry wrong person..

Asking if you wouldn't hug a grandparent until a vaccine, or similar, is found is a complete over reaction in my opinion. If you would be happy living life like that then all credit to you, but that's not living in my opinion.

Being asked to make concessions for a relatively short period of time is all well and good, but no one can say that that's 'living', and you can't expect the majority of people in the world to continue existing just because there are some vulnerabilities when vulnerabilities exist in other aspects every day but they've always been part of our lives so we don't over think them.

Aberdeen is locked down and it's beyond frustrating to be back in that position, but it's even more frustrating to be told that the new infections rate is dropping, no one has been hospitalised as a result of the outbreak, and yet we might be getting it further extended. And that all started because a small (in the grand scheme of things) group of people didn't socially distance and went to pubs etc, and yet everyone in the city is feeling the punishment as a result. It's just not feasible as a long term option to be stopping and starting at a moment's notice because a few people get infected.

I'm not saying there's not a need to be cautious but there's a difference between cautious and over zealous, and there's a massive difference between any form of living and merely existing.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
What you quoted there is people shielding ,how many people fall under the " Vulnerable " category ?
Well, they were clearly the most vulnerable. Care home residents are also extremely vulnerable, but they don’t generally go out and about. And even in lockdown it managed to get in, so it could get in there now as well.

What exactly was a disgusting remark? I really don't think I have said anything that harsh. If people feel too vulnerable to integrate back into society then they should by all means continue to shield.
How can millions of families losing their income not be a concern for you?

Why is it disgusting to question why I have to lose my income? Is me being able to feed my family and keep a roof over my head not a priority?
So you just expect people to live inside for the rest of their life so can you can enjoy yours ,There's vulnerable /shielding people that have careers too ..

• Heart
So you just expect people to live inside for the rest of their life so can you can enjoy yours ,There's vulnerable /shielding people that have careers too ..
Does it not make more sense for the people who are vulnerable to shield (if they don't feel comfortable out in society) rather than other people to give up their jobs though? Genuinely don't understand why you think that is so crazy?
I don't understand why you think it is better for me to lose my job, along with 700 colleagues, rather than someone who feels vulnerable to shield.
Surely it makes considerably more sense for someone who is actually at risk to limit their activities rather than everyone else in the country.

This isn't pie in the sky me vs them, this is real life 700 families losing their income. Health over wealth isn't a luxury you can afford when you have no money.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
Asking if you wouldn't hug a grandparent until a vaccine, or similar, is found is a complete over reaction in my opinion. If you would be happy living life like that then all credit to you, but that's not living in my opinion.

Being asked to make concessions for a relatively short period of time is all well and good, but no one can say that that's 'living', and you can't expect the majority of people in the world to continue existing just because there are some vulnerabilities when vulnerabilities exist in other aspects every day but they've always been part of our lives so we don't over think them.

Aberdeen is locked down and it's beyond frustrating to be back in that position, but it's even more frustrating to be told that the new infections rate is dropping, no one has been hospitalised as a result of the outbreak, and yet we might be getting it further extended. And that all started because a small (in the grand scheme of things) group of people didn't socially distance and went to pubs etc, and yet everyone in the city is feeling the punishment as a result. It's just not feasible as a long term option to be stopping and starting at a moment's notice because a few people get infected.

I'm not saying there's not a need to be cautious but there's a difference between cautious and over zealous, and there's a massive difference between any form of living and merely existing.
No what I was referring to was a normal life we'll always be living in the new normal unless we wish to sacrifice vulnerable people ..

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Right. What would you do if you were the prime minister? Carry on with lockdown, this completely killing the economy? And not just the economy will suffer - there was a hell of a lot domestic abuse in lockdown. But we are prioritising one vulnerable group over the other then?
What about all the vulnerable children that need the school meals? And all of those who couldn’t learn at home? Which vulnerable category is more important here?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Right. What would you do if you were the prime minister? Carry on with lockdown, this completely killing the economy? And not just the economy will suffer - there was a hell of a lot domestic abuse in lockdown. But we are prioritising one vulnerable group over the other then?
What about all the vulnerable children that need the school meals? And all of those who couldn’t learn at home? Which vulnerable category is more important here?
That's what I was saying we need to work with it not against it or else we'll always be in lockdown ( unless it's gone ) going back to a Normal life will not solve any of these issues ,infections will rise lockdowns will occur .There is no going back to the life we had that is a fact we're living it ..

• Heart
Are you being deliberately obtuse? Washing your hands is not all that is being asked. Lockdowns and social distancing has crippled many industries up and down the country and millions of people are losing their jobs, but not a lot to ask, right?
Don’t personally insult me. This is the second time and it says a lot about who you are. Washing your hands and keeping your distance is what we are nationally being asked to do to avoid areas going in to lockdown. People like myself who have been directly, severely affected in “life and death” terms tend to have a different view on this and your lack of empathy is disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Countries like Sweden who had no lockdown and have actually seemed to ride it out so to speak, I am interested to know what happened to their vulnerable population?

I also feel uncomfortable with the survival of the fittest but I am also EXTREMELY uncomfortable with millions losing jobs, futures ruined etc. This isn't about people ignoring hygiene it's about whole industries barely able to make money because of restrictions due to social distancing.

Maybe the future is more financial support for vulnerable people? I don't know. It's obviously highly emotive but as a healthy person in my 30s with a mortgage, 2 young children and a workplace that is unable to operate fully because of social distancing measures I am completely terrified for the future.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Countries like Sweden who had no lockdown and have actually seemed to ride it out so to speak, I am interested to know what happened to their vulnerable population?

I also feel uncomfortable with the survival of the fittest but I am also EXTREMELY uncomfortable with millions losing jobs, futures ruined etc. This isn't about people ignoring hygiene it's about whole industries barely able to make money because of restrictions due to social distancing.

Maybe the future is more financial support for vulnerable people? I don't know. It's obviously highly emotive but as a healthy person in my 30s with a mortgage, 2 young children and a workplace that is unable to operate fully because of social distancing measures I am completely terrified for the future.
Sweden have strict SD measures ,even the young people have to follow .They're not living a normal life like we had ..

Reactions: 4
Which vulnerable category is more important here?
I was saying this about PHE reviewing the way they report deaths and people moaning about the 28 day cut off because those probably were covid complications but what about suicides due to mass unemployment, or early death because of delayed cancer check ups? The list goes on....

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.