Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to lower the tone, but does anyone else keep accidently reading ONS as one night stand or just me?! šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 15
We come out of shielding tomorrow in Wales. I have 2 teenage children, who have been great for the last 5 months but in the last few weeks there has been a lot of tension in the house as they have been really frustrated.

They are planning to see their friends next week, but we have said we wonā€™t be going in peoples houses or shops for now as cases are still rising. Of course there was a little bit of a kick back to this but eventually they got on the same page. My eldest has a girlfriend who lives in England and he hasnā€™t seen her for 5 months and their relationship was fairly new. I understand that this is put a strain on their relationship and theyā€™re are desperate to see each other.

He is going to meet her in Chester on Tuesday and I wonā€™t lie Iā€™m really anxious about it. He said that they wonā€™t be going into shops they will just be collecting a takeaway and going to sit in the lovely park there. They said they may go into a supermarket to pick up some drinks and will obviously be wearing masks and using hand sanitiser.

My daughter is going to meet her group of friends on Monday and she is planning a day in her friends garden. We also on Monday have a hairdresser who is coming to do all our haircuts, sat outside in the garden.

School obviously starts for my daughter in September and Iā€™m worried sick because there is no social distancing or masks. She returns on the 8th where they will do the coronavirus test and then they start fully on the 16th of September.

Iā€™m not going to lie Iā€™m terrified. My husband isnā€™t returning to his office until next year, my son has been on furlough and he is returning to work next month. Iā€™m terrified of how Iā€™m going to cope mentally with their suddenly being a risk on my family. My husband has quite severe asthma and we took the decision to shield because his asthma gets really severe if he just has a cold so our GP advised that we shield also. I have some health conditions which arenā€™t on the at risk categories, I have CFS/ME, POTS, Hypothyroidism and I do have PTSD and anxiety so this has been difficult. I know myself that I would have really struggled and worsened my already debilitating fatigue had I caught coronavirus because Iā€™m pretty much housebound anyway due to the CFS being as severe as it is.

I know everyoneā€™s in the same boat, we shield for 5 months so coming out and letting our kids go back into the world is actually really terrifying. I bet everyone feels the same. Iā€™m sorry this has got long Iā€™m just really scared now Iā€™ve seen the cases going up. We also had an outbreak in the county next to us recently which is starting to calm down but some of those cases did fall into our county as well. I just donā€™t know how mentally Iā€™m going to cope with us now being open to the risk when we let our children back out into the world on Sunday. They so need it and Iā€™m so grateful for all theyā€™ve done to keep us safe but I just donā€™t feel safe šŸ˜ž

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Sorry to lower the tone, but does anyone else keep accidently reading ONS as one night stand or just me?! šŸ˜‚
šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ I didnā€™t but now thatā€™s all Iā€™ll see.

My mum had to have a covid test Thurs due to developing a cough at work (she works in NHS so had a test done straight away in the hospital). Had a negative result 24hrs later thankfully as she is over 60 with several risk factors.

ive stopped looking at the news so much these days which helps with my mental health as the constant doom and gloom was getting me down. I check in a couple of times a week to get an overview but I donā€™t want to know the counts of cases and deaths anymore. Iā€™ve gotten used to the mask life for now and just bumbling along keeping distance but living life as best we can currently.

Reactions: 9
My authority says no too. I work in a tiny Victorian building, with a random selection of temporary classrooms, and 210 primary pupils. There will be limited social distancing ........ so itā€™s all go with hand washing, sanitiser, and D10 purple cleaning. We had 90 pupils attending for the second half of the Summer term, and it was busy then ........ trying to remind Year R pupils to social distance was like herding eels!

Good luck and best wishes for your new job!
From what I've read transmission amongst primary aged children is far lower than secondary so that's one positive for you ladies. It must be near impossible to get R pupils to SD.

I start my first NQT job in Sept and we've been told no masks (Primary) however if govt change stance, I'm sure school will. But tables will be laid out as they have during lockdown, before it was 1 per one table but now it'll be two per table sitting at opposite ends. Doesnt leave much room for things like circle time, guided reading etc which is a shame. Other than that, school are waiting for more guidance from the govt before anything concrete is laid out.
Best of luck with your nqt. Gosh your training year must have been so odd (and cut short!). Welcome to the profession šŸ‘©ā€šŸ«šŸŽ“ x

• Heart
We come out of shielding tomorrow in Wales. I have 2 teenage children, who have been great for the last 5 months but in the last few weeks there has been a lot of tension in the house as they have been really frustrated.

They are planning to see their friends next week, but we have said we wonā€™t be going in peoples houses or shops for now as cases are still rising. Of course there was a little bit of a kick back to this but eventually they got on the same page. My eldest has a girlfriend who lives in England and he hasnā€™t seen her for 5 months and their relationship was fairly new. I understand that this is put a strain on their relationship and theyā€™re are desperate to see each other.

He is going to meet her in Chester on Tuesday and I wonā€™t lie Iā€™m really anxious about it. He said that they wonā€™t be going into shops they will just be collecting a takeaway and going to sit in the lovely park there. They said they may go into a supermarket to pick up some drinks and will obviously be wearing masks and using hand sanitiser.

My daughter is going to meet her group of friends on Monday and she is planning a day in her friends garden. We also on Monday have a hairdresser who is coming to do all our haircuts, sat outside in the garden.

School obviously starts for my daughter in September and Iā€™m worried sick because there is no social distancing or masks. She returns on the 8th where they will do the coronavirus test and then they start fully on the 16th of September.

Iā€™m not going to lie Iā€™m terrified. My husband isnā€™t returning to his office until next year, my son has been on furlough and he is returning to work next month. Iā€™m terrified of how Iā€™m going to cope mentally with their suddenly being a risk on my family. My husband has quite severe asthma and we took the decision to shield because his asthma gets really severe if he just has a cold so our GP advised that we shield also. I have some health conditions which arenā€™t on the at risk categories, I have CFS/ME, POTS, Hypothyroidism and I do have PTSD and anxiety so this has been difficult. I know myself that I would have really struggled and worsened my already debilitating fatigue had I caught coronavirus because Iā€™m pretty much housebound anyway due to the CFS being as severe as it is.

I know everyoneā€™s in the same boat, we shield for 5 months so coming out and letting our kids go back into the world is actually really terrifying. I bet everyone feels the same. Iā€™m sorry this has got long Iā€™m just really scared now Iā€™ve seen the cases going up. We also had an outbreak in the county next to us recently which is starting to calm down but some of those cases did fall into our county as well. I just donā€™t know how mentally Iā€™m going to cope with us now being open to the risk when we let our children back out into the world on Sunday. They so need it and Iā€™m so grateful for all theyā€™ve done to keep us safe but I just donā€™t feel safe šŸ˜ž
Can I ask how severe is your husbands asthma? How many hospital admissions does he have annually? Is there a significant medical history of ICU treatment/intubations? What medication is he on out with inhalers? Iā€™d be really interested to see the difference between myself who the government advised to shield due to severe asthma and a family taking the decision with support of GP.

Just said bye to my boyfriend before he goes to Crete with his mates. Theyā€™ve hired a massive villa (thereā€™s 10 of them going) so they can drink there rather than going out which works well with the new curfew. Feeling a bit emotional saying bye to him though because Iā€™d still be really uncomfortable flying. Heā€™s pretty okay about it and Iā€™m definitely more worried than he is

• Sad
Just said bye to my boyfriend before he goes to Crete with his mates. Theyā€™ve hired a massive villa (thereā€™s 10 of them going) so they can drink there rather than going out which works well with the new curfew. Feeling a bit emotional saying bye to him though because Iā€™d still be really uncomfortable flying. Heā€™s pretty okay about it and Iā€™m definitely more worried than he is
Awww I remember you posting about his upcoming holiday months ago. It'll probably do him some good to blow off steam with friends. Good they can be self sufficient in the villa too.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Awww I remember you posting about his upcoming holiday months ago. It'll probably do him some good to blow off steam with friends. Good they can be self sufficient in the villa too.
Yeah Iā€™m glad that theyā€™re in a villa rather than a hotel. They were planning a boat party one night in Malia but because of the curfew they havenā€™t bothered (which Iā€™m secretly very happy aboutšŸ˜). Theyā€™ll have a good time and itā€™ll be good for them to be ā€œnormalā€ again but because Iā€™m more nervous about the virus than him itā€™s a weird onešŸ˜…

Can I ask how severe is your husbands asthma? How many hospital admissions does he have annually? Is there a significant medical history of ICU treatment/intubations? What medication is he on out with inhalers? Iā€™d be really interested to see the difference between myself who the government advised to shield due to severe asthma and a family taking the decision with support of GP.
My husband has asthma symptoms daily. He is on salbutamol I think itā€™s called, high strength and ventolin daily. He gets breathless very easily. Slight cold and he has a chest infection.

No hospital admissions in recent years but he has chest infections every year and ends up on steroids.

He wasnā€™t advised to shield by the government as we were told asthma wasnā€™t a risk. We spoke to our GP together and she advised us to shield because of his asthma and because he is my carer. Without him I have no one but more importantly I canā€™t risk losing him because I love him.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
This šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ‘šŸ¼šŸ‘šŸ¼ I have a valid medical exemption, Iā€™m in the shielded category but Iā€™m 28, look very healthy and generally live in gym gear...Iā€˜m still getting my food shop delivered but I donā€™t go anywhere one is required because I just couldnā€™t bear the looks and judgements šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø Nor do I want to discuss my medical condition with strangers
I thought it was recommended that those on the shielded list remain home until end of August anyway, or have I got that wrong?

At the start of lockdown, people wearing masks really stood out. Now itā€™s going to be a case of the other way round. But youā€™re right, you shouldnā€™t have to explain yourself to anyone šŸ˜”
The trouble is those that flout the rules make it harder for those with genuine conditions.:(

Reactions: 1
I thought it was recommended that those on the shielded list remain home until end of August anyway, or have I got that wrong?

The trouble is those that flout the rules make it harder for those with genuine conditions.:(
I think shielding ended at the start of August in England.. end of July here..

my husband and i have been sheilding until recently, i have fibro so am not at risk, but i understand cfs and i was also worried of the fatigue if i caught covid, i am also housebound a lot. my husband has c.o.p.d so we are in a similar position to you. we dont have children though. we have been going to the shops lately , my husband is starting work next week, and tonight we have a friend round, in the garden but he will need the toilet. all i can say is when you do normal things bit by bit , it does become less frightening. I was terrified in april at the peak , but not so much now, all you can do is take the precautions, we stopped sheilding before we were meant to , we were that fed up, and we have been fine x with conditions like cfs and fibro life is so tiring anyway without all this stress isnt it? sorry i couldnt have been more help , just wanted to answer you as i know cfs is crappy X

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I thought it had been extended for some extremely vulnerable people. My dadā€™s friend got another letter last month extending it but strangely my dad didnā€™t. Iā€™ll have to ask him.

Reactions: 1
I thought it had been extended for some extremely vulnerable people. My dadā€™s friend got another letter last month extending it but strangely my dad didnā€™t. Iā€™ll have to ask him.
Maybe it's to do with what area he lives in ? if cases are rising or at a high level they might have advised people to keep shielding..

My husband has asthma symptoms daily. He is on salbutamol I think itā€™s called, high strength and ventolin daily. He gets breathless very easily. Slight cold and he has a chest infection.

No hospital admissions in recent years but he has chest infections every year and ends up on steroids.

He wasnā€™t advised to shield by the government as we were told asthma wasnā€™t a risk. We spoke to our GP together and she advised us to shield because of his asthma and because he is my carer. Without him I have no one but more importantly I canā€™t risk losing him because I love him.
I had just wondered because I received a government shielding letter due to severe asthma. To give you an idea of what that looks like Iā€™m on oral high dose daily steroids continuously, I have oxygen at home and other ā€œrescue measuresā€, in addition to salbutamol and ventilon which are both inhalers. In 13 years the longest period I havenā€™t been hospitalised in a respiratory ward is 9 months. However Iā€™ve also been in ICU 3x, HDU 6x and Iā€™ve previously been intubated and in an an induced coma following an asthma attack. Iā€™ve had double pneumonia 3x. My asthma is brittle, uncontrolled and I experience sudden symptom onset with attacks. Despite this Iā€™m 28, a regular gym goer and otherwise have a very normal life šŸ˜‚ Youā€™d never know about my condition to look at me. People throw the term ā€œsevere asthmaā€ around but a lot of people donā€™t understand what it actually looks like.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
my husband and i have been sheilding until recently, i have fibro so am not at risk, but i understand cfs and i was also worried of the fatigue if i caught covid, i am also housebound a lot. my husband has c.o.p.d so we are in a similar position to you. we dont have children though. we have been going to the shops lately , my husband is starting work next week, and tonight we have a friend round, in the garden but he will need the toilet. all i can say is when you do normal things bit by bit , it does become less frightening. I was terrified in april at the peak , but not so much now, all you can do is take the precautions, we stopped sheilding before we were meant to , we were that fed up, and we have been fine x with conditions like cfs and fibro life is so tiring anyway without all this stress isnt it? sorry i couldnt have been more help , just wanted to answer you as i know cfs is crappy X
Thank you so much for your kind reply and Iā€™m so sorry youā€™ve suffered all of this worry too.

My eldest is 18 and the abuse heā€™s given me has been dreadful. He was great the first few months just got on with it and accepted it but the last 2 heā€™s been awful and hard to live with. The stress he has inflicted on me and my husband has worsened my CFS most definitely. He is a tad hot headed but a good caring bou, but lockdown has affected him and heā€™s been difficult to live with. Weā€™ve done our best to keep our kids happy, family time, takeaways, nice treats etc...

Shielding ends tomorrow and today he had his friend knock the door, they stood less than a metre apart and he couldnā€™t understand why we were annoyed he did that so he blew up and he was awful to us. So we know he wonā€™t respect the 1-2 meters rule once shielding ends tomorrow. Iā€™ve been in floods of tears again today because I canā€™t handle his outbursts anymore.

My children have always been my world, my reason to keep trying to get better. I suffered an assault 8 years ago which led to ptsd, anxiety and then the CFS and other health issues began. So all of this conflict has been a huge trigger for me. Iā€™m the least confrontational person, I hate arguments and stress. I feel so stressed out and all I want is for him to understand we have to social distance when lockdowns over and Iā€™m not being ā€˜pettyā€™ or ā€˜OTTā€™. Just stay 1-2 metres but he refuses and arguments start.

Right now at times I hate to say it but Iā€™ve wished I lived alone because Iā€™ve zero chance of healing here after the year weā€™ve had. Weā€™ve explained itā€™s far better to be kind and accept the situation, lift each others spirits than be angry at us, we need to be safe, but he doesnā€™t get it. He will apologise but 2 days later heā€™s moaning again and he starts an argument about pushing the boundaries.

God being a mum is so hard when you have chronic illness šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢šŸ˜¢

Sorry I offloaded all of that. Iā€™m glad things are getting back to normal and slowly youā€™re feeling less worried, thatā€™s reassuring to hear xxxx

Yes itā€™s 16th August in Wales.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
My authority says no too. I work in a tiny Victorian building, with a random selection of temporary classrooms, and 210 primary pupils. There will be limited social distancing ........ so itā€™s all go with hand washing, sanitiser, and D10 purple cleaning. We had 90 pupils attending for the second half of the Summer term, and it was busy then ........ trying to remind Year R pupils to social distance was like herding eels!

Good luck and best wishes for your new job!
Why on earth are they saying no? Here, masks are required for school for students and teachers.

For all shielding was technically paused, we received a letter essentially telling us to adhere to the guidelines for everyone else, but thatā€™s itā€™s all extremely high risk for us. So restaurants, shopping centres, visiting in homes were all scored red and advised to avoid.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.