Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #34

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Guys, can anyone explain something for me... (I'm in the south west, hence focusing on there.)

Bbc are saying based on the study on the R rate, South west has the second highest at 0.75 compared to London with 0.4.

But the south west has had the lowest cases in England throughout the pandemic so far ...does it just mean we are tit at sticking to social distancing here or ...?

Reactions: 3
Guys, can anyone explain something for me... (I'm in the south west, hence focusing on there.)

Bbc are saying based on the study on the R rate, South west has the second highest at 0.75 compared to London with 0.4.

But the south west has had the lowest cases in England throughout the pandemic so far ...does it just mean we are tit at sticking to social distancing here or ...?
I guessing it would be the % of population figure
? And how much this figure is increasing or decreasing. Below 1 the number of cases should be decreasing. The lower the number the faster cases will decrease. Is that the figure you are looking at ?

If R number is higher then it means those effected are passing it on to more people so could be worse social distancing or more cases in places like car homes or hospitals where it spreads quickly ?

I’m SW so I find this confusing as we’ve had a consistently low amount of cases etc but perhaps it’s because we haven’t had such a spike or something? Frustrating if so.

Reactions: 4
my daughters head teacher said they will do as much as they can following the curriculum as all their tasks are set that way anyway but will not be grading and assessing children in the same way they would have before.

To be honest i doubt that schools will even open 1st of June. I’d be very surprised if they do, unless its up to individual schools to make the decisions. GMB headlines say 1500 schools will not re open on the 1st, i think a lot more will follow and announce it this week. Might also depend on numbers, my daughters school is quite small with only 20 reception children.
lots of schools in my area have pushed it back and the council is saying they are pushing it back again. Maybe the plan is to keep pushing it back until July 😂

Reactions: 1
My husbands furlough contract also states that he can't work elsewhere
I know this was all about last night but none of our employees can work for another job either.

I would believe it’s specific to each company and call your employer if you want to

Just be aware any secondary income is taxed at Basic Rate so you won’t be taking home as much as you think

Sorry to brain dump this, but I'm panicing and don't want to start a new thread for a minor thing.

I put my train season ticket refund in on the 14th April with TLR. I am due over £2,600 back. It says you should hear within 28 days and if you don't contact them with your reference number. I never got a reference number, I am really unlucky with these things and usually end up missing out and being told they didn't receive it. I am now just panicking that I've messed it up and they will just come back with, we didn't get your application so sorry end of :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Does anyone else work in childcare? I’m currently listening in on a webinar and the woman has said on a couple of Occasions that if you refuse to go back to work HR has advised to start the disciplinary process! If your vulnerable it’s a different case scenario, I have told my work I don’t want to come back just yet as I don’t feel it’s safe enough and my mum is extremely vulnerable and shielding so after hearing that I feel anxious! My boss is calling me in the week to have a chat about a questionnaire she sent us but I’m worried now after hearing this information! I just don’t understand how they could potentially discipline people or take jobs away when people are scared of this or how they’d get new staff in?!
I do.

We are opening on the 1st, regardless. We don't need all staff back straight away so those that need to remain at home if they are shielding can do.

However we've been told that over the next few months, the furlough pay will decrease to 50% and as the numbers of children increase we will ask staff to come back. If they don't come back then they have to make a choice as to whether they want to return or leave.

We've been advised that once the numbers of children are back to capacity, furlough stops. We have 30 children returning on 1st June and the remaining 55 are back by the end of July.

It is a worry but people can't be paid to be off indefinitely just incase. We've lost one member of staff already because she thought she could be off on full furlough till October. She's not vulnerable, no one in her house is vulnerable and she works for "pocket money" she doesn't think its going to be safe to work this year so has decided to leave 🤷‍♀️

Sorry to brain dump this, but I'm panicing and don't want to start a new thread for a minor thing.

I put my train season ticket refund in on the 14th April with TLR. I am due over £2,600 back. It says you should hear within 28 days and if you don't contact them with your reference number. I never got a reference number, I am really unlucky with these things and usually end up missing out and being told they didn't receive it. I am now just panicking that I've messed it up and they will just come back with, we didn't get your application so sorry end of :cry:
Get in contact with them, perhaps it’s just the sheer amount of applications they have received

We only have 5 in intensive care on our covid ward. We had wards created for it that have never been used, theaters converted, that now seems for nothing.
The huge numbers they expected never happend, which is amazing.
It's not really amazing, it's more that more people followed lockdown than expected so less cases came through. This is why we are being sent back out to get it going again so we can start a steadier stream of cases than another huge dump in winter.

There's going to be a huge amount of deaths still, I think this is the tip of the iceberg.

Last Sunday we were told its a 5 step plan that needs to be followed. Already in less than two weeks we are looking at full reopening by the 1st July. Remarkable considering Boris told us the first stage would be done on 1st June and each stage needs to be monitored before the next is in place.

I think they only rule to remain in place by 1st July will be no theatre or concerts or large gatherings.

They want the economy moving and now know they can afford to let more cases of Covid through so are happy for us to get out and spread it a bit more.

We've been told that now we don't have to follow school legislation and can remain open. The only time we have to now close is if we get a case of Covid.

Thats interesting. The government has said everyone can seek alternative employment whilst on furlough when they were looking for farmer/fruit picker jobs etc.
I think it's down to individual businesses isn't it?

Get in contact with them, perhaps it’s just the sheer amount of applications they have received
I have, I'm waiting a reply... In 5 working days! I'm just panicking I've done it wrong and it will be rejected. This sort of thing always happens to me.

Thats interesting. The government has said everyone can seek alternative employment whilst on furlough when they were looking for farmer/fruit picker jobs etc.
Provided your employer allows it. Under the furlough system its allowed, but if your employer wont allow it then it trumps that.

From what I can tell, people have heard it from individual conversations with their own schools who have said that they won’t be teaching properly :)
Yes we were informed on our weekly school update.

Work they do in school won't be curriculum and will be similar to work they are sending for home learning .

We received a big list detailing how it will be and what to expect for those children going to school.

My trusty GP on FB has said this is a true statement just use alcohol gel instead of gloves View attachment 133933
I was giggling at a meme of this the other day

In simple terms it's like using the same condom on 10 women🤮😁

• Haha
I just saw Cambridge university has said all classes for 2020/21 year will be taught online. I wonder if other universities will follow.

A spokesman said: “The university is constantly adapting to changing advice as it emerges during this pandemic. Given that it is likely that social distancing will continue to be required, the university has decided there will be no face-to-face lectures during the next academic year.

I graduated in July 2020. If I was due to start uni this year I would 100% be deferring. Even now, freshers week was the one week that stands out as the highlight of my uni experience. I couldn’t imagine starting a new uni, knowing nobody and not having those opportunities to meet people. If lectures are cancelled then all social events will be to which is part of what you pay for.

Uni students have been completely forgotten by the government though all of this. No doubt they’ll be paying full fees still despite not getting the full experience and teaching.

Reactions: 14

How did you apply for the refund? If it was by email then save a copy of the email or if by phone, screenshot the time/date/duration of call. That way you have proof you contacted them at the appropriate time and can appeal it if they are difficult about a refund.

It's probably just moving slowly because of a backlog so try not to worry. I'm sure you'll be able to sort it.

Reactions: 2
How did you apply for the refund? If it was by email then save a copy of the email or if by phone, screenshot the time/date/duration of call. That way you have proof you contacted them at the appropriate time and can appeal it if they are difficult about a refund.

It's probably just moving slowly because of a backlog so try not to worry. I'm sure you'll be able to sort it.
It was online, I did screen shot it but can I find where it’s gone on my laptop... 🙈 I’m sure it will be fine as I have proof of the date as I messaged on Twitter the same day and I still have my ticket but you know when you worry and it’s not £50 it’s £2,600 😳

I’m a key worker, and my children are 1 & 2 and I was furloughed originally as their nursery closed and my manager understood they were too little to go to a unknown place. I think everyone should have the option to do what’s right for their family. My children’s nursery reopened to key workers, and my furlough ended so they returned. My decision was based on - we believe we have had it as a household - significant symptoms. We are not nor are any family manners at risk. We mix households due to having step children. And we had not intended to wait until a vaccine is available. So now seemed like the right time to us

Reactions: 9
is anyone watching This Morning?? I cannot believe they have a hairdresser on who hasn't stopped working, seems so reckless for them to be showing this

• Wow
Reactions: 9
is anyone watching This Morning?? I cannot believe they have a hairdresser on who hasn't stopped working, seems so reckless for them to be showing this
I’m also very confused why they’ve bothered to Skype them in to show their backs.. just ask them to phone instead🧐 Worrying that others may follow suit though.

I’m also very confused why they’ve bothered to Skype them in to show their backs.. just ask them to phone instead🧐 Worrying that others may follow suit though.
I know seems a bizarre way to do the interview. I find it so frustrating people using mental health as a need to get your hair done, we are all suffering with some mental health problems and crappy hair but not breaking the rules to get it done. Also frustrating how she said she would loose her house because UC wasn't enough and she didnt want to take a grant and be in more debt, when a grant doesnt put you in more debt. Just seems worrying that others may think its ok or find excuses to continue to break the rules :(

I know seems a bizarre way to do the interview. I find it so frustrating people using mental health as a need to get your hair done, we are all suffering with some mental health problems and crappy hair but not breaking the rules to get it done. Also frustrating how she said she would loose her house because UC wasn't enough and she didnt want to take a grant and be in more debt, when a grant doesnt put you in more debt. Just seems worrying that others may think its ok or find excuses to continue to break the rules :(
Mentioning freedom of choice too. If everyone used that as an excuse everyone would be out everywhere! Seemed a very problematic interview and a bit unnecessary to bring to light people getting away with breaking rules

I would call them to check they have a record of it, but I know wait times have been extended recently. (Rail staff here though not in that department)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.