Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone thought of what they’ll do for money if the have to self isolate/go into lockdown? I live hand to mouth and if I have to go onto sick pay then I’ll probably have to rely on a food bank and won’t be able to pay my bills. While I’m worried about the health of my relatives the financial implications are more of a personal worry.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
There is another Cobra meeting today so I wonder if any restrictions will be put in place after that.

Does anyone know were these scheduled for every Monday just now or is it in response to something ?
I don’t know if they’ve officially gone from “containment” to “delay” yet, so it might be to do with that?

I'm starting to worry now. People will start getting bored of washing their hands thoroughly and will feel pressured to go to work if they are ill. There's still a significant period of incubation before people are getting symptoms, ugh!
definitely, in my workplace we have been told that if we have to self quarantine we won't get sick pay and i work in q company that has clients (all international with a big focus on italy and china) coming and going all day. the chances of someone in our office getting it or at least carrying it and giving it to others are so high

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I don’t know if they’ve officially gone from “containment” to “delay” yet, so it might be to do with that?
Hopefully the govt will provide a clear answer as I've seen different stories saying we're in different phases of the spread

Reactions: 6
School in Tamworth closed for a week for adeep clean . Teacher tested positive. My kids would love it ...
We had an email from the DFE that said

“No school should close in response to a suspected (or confirmed) COVID-19 case unless advised to do so by Public Health England.”

Reactions: 1
Has anyone thought of what they’ll do for money if the have to self isolate/go into lockdown? I live hand to mouth and if I have to go onto sick pay then I’ll probably have to rely on a food bank and won’t be able to pay my bills. While I’m worried about the health of my relatives the financial implications are more of a personal worry.
Me!!!! If the government decides we all have to go into lockdown how will I pay my mortgage? Definitely public health is extremely important but how many people across the country will end up defaulting on payments/end up in financial distress. I dont get full sick pay, I would only be entitled to statutory sick pay, as is my husband. It's what £400 a month? That's less than my mortgage then I have nursery fees, food, electric, heating etc. I'm more worried about that than anything at this point

Reactions: 4
Me!!!! If the government decides we all have to go into lockdown how will I pay my mortgage? Definitely public health is extremely important but how many people across the country will end up defaulting on payments/end up in financial distress. I dont get full sick pay, I would only be entitled to statutory sick pay, as is my husband. It's what £400 a month? That's less than my mortgage then I have nursery fees, food, electric, heating etc. I'm more worried about that than anything at this point
I worry about this too but surely the government can’t let this happen?

My employers have said anyone who has to self isolate will get full pay, I think that will change if the whole company has to isolate though. The financial/economy side of things is very worrying.

This is what I am thinking, surely in addition to the expected impact on the economy a personal impact on the vast majority of the public would also be catastrophic?! How many people would be left in a hole?

If schools shut I am entitled to no pay as on a temporary co tract, and my husband is self employed so we will earn nothing if people don’t want him working (he cannot work from home) because of fear of public health. We will have nothing coming in and be entitled to no sick pay at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I’ve been lurking this thread for some time and noticed the lack of media coverage on the financial implications for individuals.

The new rules with regards to the new flat rate of interest charged on overdrafts commence at the end of the month. Those who will end up in their overdraft to cover a shortfall, will also be hammered with interest rates of about 39%! Add that to the potential for people to default on mortgages and the financial ramifications will be massive!

If the country is locked down, I’d like to think that the government pressure the financial industry to introduce a moratorium to help those who’ll struggle, but I won’t hold my breath- Tories will Tory! :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I’m really starting to worry now

I’m self employed and deal with the public so I won’t get any pay whatsoever

• Sad
Reactions: 5
money is my main worry! I’m on maternity leave just now and pay is rubbish! I’m more worried about the financial impact being isolated due to them putting the country under lock down than anything else at the moment

I'm a NHS secretary - we are currently changing all our outpatient appointments to phone consultations where possible.

No disrespect to anybody here. But I'm shocked at the amount of people with insecure jobs that can't pay their mortgage in a month if they lose their job. The mortgage application forms make it very clear if you can't keep up with repayment you will lose your home. Why do people expect government help with their mortgage? That's not fair if the government helps people with their personal assets. At most they can work with mortgage companies to stop interest payments for a couple of months. The times of jobs for life has long been over, if you've got a mortgage it's mainly your responsibility to make payments. And mortgage payments are low at the mo.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
No disrespect to anybody here. But I'm shocked at the amount of people with insecure jobs that can't pay their mortgage in a month if they lose their job. The mortgage application forms make it very clear if you can't keep up with repayment you will lose your home. Why do people expect government help with their mortgage? That's not fair if the government helps people with their personal assets. At most they can work with mortgage companies to stop interest payments for a couple of months. The times of jobs for life has long been over, if you've got a mortgage it's mainly your responsibility to make payments. And mortgage payments are low at the mo.
Because some (most I assume) people live month by month. Doesn’t mean you can’t afford it

Reactions: 22
My colleague told me that her brother has said if he gets it hes going to work as normal and doing nothing different.
Ignorant, uneducated attitudes like that are what's most deadly.

I dont have an insecure job. I have a job that doesn't pay sick pay. I have insurance cover that will pay my mortgage if I am unwell but if I am made to self isolate that wont pay out. No need.

Reactions: 16
Because some (most I assume) people live month by month. Doesn’t mean you can’t afford it
If you live month to month would wouldn't pass the mortgage application process. I know many live month by month because of a low income, but also many live month by month on a good income because they choose to spend it all. Why should tax payers bail out people to help them build up a personal asset and private wealth? It's not your home unless you own it outright, if you can't make the payments for many months it will get repo'ed then people can rent and claim housing benefit to help with rent. Millions can't afford to buy and j don't think it's fair on them to use public money to bail out those with mortgages. Unpopular opinion I know.

I don't think they will close schools as such, the impact would be huge on working parents, plus the current Year 11's are still playing catch up with the GCSE curriculum, the impact on exams would be too much.

What they could do is bring the 2 week Easter break forward, and also encourage others to book holiday from work during that time if they can. I don't have much faith in the government though, they don't seem to have a clue how to actually handle this.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.