Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know in terms of every day. But I do worry about businesses going bust. There is already a lot of pressure on business and with this I think we will see a fairly large chunk of small businesses shutting down permanently
My family own a taxi company, so we rely on the public for the money coming in to pay wages and the bills. This isn't the sort of buisness you can work from home . if our town was to be put in isolation the buisness is in turn stuffed 🤷‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Which country?

Feel free to PM if you don’t want to announce where you’re going. I just really want to check it’s not the same place I’m due to go and I haven’t heard anything about this
I don’t know how to do that - tried to find the function but saw that you’re going skiing (from the post you made before) so it’s unlikely we are going to the same place. Hope you manage to get there safely if you go and enjoy your time away x

Reactions: 2
I imagine some schools will close early for Easter.
I’m not actually sure how likely this is tbh. I’m a teacher and aside from a few hand washing posters and making sure the soap is full not much else is happening. They’re in the process of putting an emergency contingency plan in place (ie what all the staff will have to do if we do close) but it’s unlikely they’ll use it.

If schools do close the knock on effect would be huge - parents wouldn’t be able to go to work so everywhere would struggle!?

Reactions: 7
My family own a taxi company, so we rely on the public for the money coming in to pay wages and the bills. This isn't the sort of buisness you can work from home . if our town was to be put in isolation the buisness is in turn stuffed 🤷‍♀️
Hope everything will be ok. We also own our own engineering business so can’t work from home.

Reactions: 5
I don’t know how to do that - tried to find the function but saw that you’re going skiing (from the post you made before) so it’s unlikely we are going to the same place. Hope you manage to get there safely if you go and enjoy your time away x
No worries, thank you! I’ve extensively googled where I’m going and couldn’t find anything so I assume it’s not that 😊 good luck to you too!

Reactions: 1
I watched this video from Taylor R today about what it’s currently like in Hong Kong they only have 115 cases less than half what we have and I feel like although extreme this is what we should be doing in the U.K. Every person is wearing masks and self quarantining but yet we keep getting told don’t bother with them

I just wish the media wasn’t all about doom. I get why it helps their engagement, but we NEED to see positive news, like how many thousands have been cured. It doesn’t make the losses any less tragic, but some people’s anxiety is through the roof.
This! I feel like the media has taken it too far with unnecessary scaremongering and over exaggerated news for engagement in the past and now no one knows what to believe, it’s like the boy who cried wolf.
Also in terms of quarantining both times (Italy and Wuhan) they announced it before it happened and people fled the town / city before it was locked down. I have a feeling in the UK to have a successful quarantine we would only know as it happens to prevent people fleeing to another town.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Not commented on here yet but been following. Feeling really freaked out tonight for some reason, feels like we are in a film 😩 Feel like its a lot worse than the goverment/media are telling us.

Reactions: 12
I swing between thinking it will probably be fine, to thinking it definitely won’t and it’s the end of the world. My little boy has chronic lung disease so I am really worried - although my gp believes this has been around longer than we realise and people were probably catching it in October - my 14 year old and I were really poorly for all of December with what felt like flu but wasn’t - breathless, coughing, achey... I’ve got horrendous ptsd from my twins being born at 26 weeks, and losing one of them with an 8 Month nicu/picu stay for our survivor - this whole thing is taking me right back to when my son was teetering between life and death for many months.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Not commented on here yet but been following. Feeling really freaked out tonight for some reason, feels like we are in a film 😩 Feel like its a lot worse than the goverment/media are telling us.
Contagion? I'm very tempted to watch it again!

Same. Watching the news tonight and seeing all the virus stuff and then the economical impact it has, and oil and gas going down made it seem like a horror film. My partner works in o&g and we've already had it rough industry wise.

Reactions: 4
Personally im putting peoples health and lives above the economy and wish the government would do the same. Ppl matter more than money. The country should have stopped incoming and outgoing travel before it reached us, now its too late for that so we should all go into isolation for at least a month
Amen...have a trip plan in a couple of months for galveston but heard i think seven in houston is sick so galveston is out this year..

People calling for schools to be closed, where are kids supposed to go? I bet they won’t stay at home in isolation. They’ll be out in shopping centres, the streets, parks etc so still being exposed.

How long for? What about their education? Not to mention what are working parents meant to do? If they closed my sons nursery I’d be screwed...I have no family support so I don’t know how I’d care for him and go to work.

The knock on effect to business would be huge if half their workforce suddenly couldn’t come in and therefore the economy would be effected. Maybe I’m missing something...I didn’t even think kids seemed to be getting affected that much?

Reactions: 17
People calling for schools to be closed, where are kids supposed to go? I bet they won’t stay at home in isolation. They’ll be out in shopping centres, the streets, parks etc so still being exposed.

How long for? What about their education? Not to mention what are working parents meant to do? If they closed my sons nursery I’d be screwed...I have no family support so I don’t know how I’d care for him and go to work.

The knock on effect to business would be huge if half their workforce suddenly couldn’t come in and therefore the economy would be effected. Maybe I’m missing something...I didn’t even think kids seemed to be getting affected that much?
I understand what you’re saying (and agree!) but there seems to be a lot of “UK couldn’t possibly shut their schools” why not? Look at the countries who have: China, HK, Italy, Iran, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia etc.

If those countries can shut their schools/nurseries/universities then 100% so can UK.
Yes, it will be difficult and yes it will massively impact our economy. However, surely cutting the rate of infection is more important?

Although small infants and children don’t appear to be badly impacted, that’s for now. Is this due to those aforementioned countries restricting gatherings and closing schools? Kids may not end up in critical care (thankfully!) but they may indeed be carriers/vessels of this illness getting to more vulnerable parts of the population.

All I’m saying is if schools are closed then surely a temporary massive inconvenience is better than the alternative consequences?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Im torn about closing schools Im a teacher and schools, university dorms and nurseries are the perfect environment for germs but I dont think closing the schools so early would be a good idea for most people. (I would be off with my children anyway so it wouldnt impact me so much)

Most of the children/teenagers would still be going out and about. In fact they would have more time to go to different places. I can imagine people visiting family in other cities etc

No parents would be able to work and how much would companies pay employees for being off with their children. I dont think the government have put in place anything to protect employees pay yet.

I know that I would still have to leave my house to go food shopping etc. I don't think anything would happen until after Easter hols if they do close schools

Reactions: 2
School in Tamworth closed for a week for adeep clean . Teacher tested positive. My kids would love it ...

It’s not just about stopping the children from getting the disease, it’s about the fact that they are perfect disease carriers and spreaders because of the way they interact with each other and because they are less effective at the wash your hands / cough into your elbow strategies.

This is why chicken pox and nits blow through entire school populations. A school can have children attending from a 10 mile radius plus, who will then carry that virus back to their homes where it will spread further.

Reactions: 15
In fairness they are trained to reassure us. Can you imagine if they were like “yes, people panic. It’s bad. We’re all going to die!”
I’d proper be shitting myself and at the moment I am already just one fart away from doing that.
Don't to that, there's no loo rolls left in the supermarkets! 😱

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Our school is pretty much open plan except for EYFS. We had 1/4 of kids off before Christmas with colds/flu and had to deep clean over a weekend... if coronavirus got into our school I can imagine it would spread like wildfire.

There is another Cobra meeting today so I wonder if any restrictions will be put in place after that.

Does anyone know were these scheduled for every Monday just now or is it in response to something ?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.