Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The country we are due to visit on holiday this week are announcing tomorrow whether all entrants from all countries will need to self isolate on arrival for 14 days.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
No but their new cases are minimal now - compared to population!

It is a flu virus and it is contagious like any other one is!!
The media have successfully hyped it to the max!

If everyone is so worried then why are you all not self isolating, panic buying, staying off work/ school till it’s all over!!
First of all the epicentre of the outbreak is still in lockdown until further notice. Anyone coming in or leaving the area, has to be temperature screened and the Chinese government are tracking every citizen in the lockdown area through a mobile phone app. The only reason that this country hasn't reached that is because we still in the containment phase, so our government are aware of who has got it and where. The next step is the delay phase where they will start locking down, as they are now doing in Northern Italy. Until then we have to go to work as normal until directed, as our government are trying to avoid an economic collapse and the NHS becoming completely swamped. Our numbers are still fairly low but if I could afford to stay off work and self isolate, I would until the virus is extinct. I don't really want to catch it because it could potentially lead to pulmonary pneumonia and life long lung damage.

Reactions: 6
The country we are due to visit on holiday this week are announcing tomorrow whether all entrants from all countries will need to self isolate on arrival for 14 days.
If this happens, I’d think that it wouldn’t be worth going. How do you feel about it and can you get your money back in this instance?

Yel

I think people need to be careful. This obviously isn't "media scaremongering", the kind of restrictions that are happening now has not been seen before in living memory outside of a world war and governments aren't doing this for fun. That said panicking doesn't achieve anything, it's a new virus and so much is unknown and what we don't know is what makes it such a concern.

Let's hope it stops spreading in Italy, the south is so much poorer and it would be far more detrimental.

Iran stopping all flights to Europe and Milan airport is stopping all international flights.

Reactions: 18
First of all the epicentre of the outbreak is still in lockdown until further notice. Anyone coming in or leaving the area, has to be temperature screened and the Chinese government are tracking every citizen in the lockdown area through a mobile phone app. The only reason that this country hasn't reached that is because we still in the containment phase, so our government are aware of who has got it and where. The next step is the delay phase where they will start locking down, as they are now doing in Northern Italy. Until then we have to go to work as normal until directed, as our government are trying to avoid an economic collapse and the NHS becoming completely swamped. Our numbers are still fairly low but if I could afford to stay off work and self isolate, I would until the virus is extinct. I don't really want to catch it because it could potentially lead to pulmonary pneumonia and life long lung damage.
My mum has an auto immune disorder so believe me I know what effect this will have on her if she catches it and she WILL die- no 2 ways about it, but the same will happen to her if she catches normal flu, and she almost died last year from catching a very severe case of norovirus, so you see I understand the concerns. But the government give worse case scenarios that will never ever happen!

Unfortunately we are going to have to let it run it’s course! And just wait and see!
There is no point now panicking as what are people going to be like in another 2 weeks time when it’s worse,

Currently 4 people in every million in the uk have it!!

Reactions: 11
If this happens, I’d think that it wouldn’t be worth going. How do you feel about it and can you get your money back in this instance?
our holiday is for 10 days so we wouldn’t go.

I think it would be a real shame as we are going to see my husbands family (he’s from this country) and weve Been looking forward to it for ages, but life is life. Can’t do much about it - we said today why didn’t we pull the flights forwards, but on Friday they were still only restricting a couple of countries

• Sad
Personally im putting peoples health and lives above the economy and wish the government would do the same. Ppl matter more than money. The country should have stopped incoming and outgoing travel before it reached us, now its too late for that so we should all go into isolation for at least a month

Reactions: 19
My husband will check on the travel insurance.
We already cancelled the car insurance. Airbnb have all agreed to refund as not our fault / domestic tourism is really skyrocketing

Personally im putting peoples health and lives above the economy and wish the government would do the same. Ppl matter more than money. The country should have stopped incoming and outgoing travel before it reached us, now its too late for that so we should all go into isolation for at least a month
govt will always put economy first.

Car hire. Not car insurance. I think we will lose about £800 in total.

• Sad
Reactions: 1

Yel

Personally im putting peoples health and lives above the economy and wish the government would do the same.
That will never happen the economy is too important for the government, otherwise the country would have banned flights immediately and lockdown areas. Not because it's definitely needed, because it's unknown.

I think the worrying thing is, if it continues as it has in Europe most will have it in a couple of months.

Reactions: 5
I live in Gloucestershire and can’t believe Cheltenham races is still going ahead... again a case of £££ before people’s health. During race week men urinate in the street, can’t see them washing their hands!!! I’m avoiding Cheltenham all of next week anyway, just seems madness that 50000 plus people a day are allowed when we are meant to be trying to contain it

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
This virus will probably be a 'new flu' it won't go away and will be here in flu season year after year, swine flu is still around.

Reactions: 7
I live in Gloucestershire and can’t believe Cheltenham races is still going ahead... again a case of £££ before people’s health. During race week men urinate in the street, can’t see them washing their hands!!! I’m avoiding Cheltenham all of next week anyway, just seems madness that 50000 plus people a day are allowed when we are meant to be trying to contain it
Maybe since the figures keep going up daily the government will have a re think as to large gatherings if there wanting to put a lid on this

Which country?

Feel free to PM if you don’t want to announce where you’re going. I just really want to check it’s not the same place I’m due to go and I haven’t heard anything about this

I keep flip flopping about how I feel. On the one hand I’m “keep calm and carry on”. But on the other I don’t want to be in busy public spaces.
I’m supposed to fly to Dublin on Friday through Luton and am conflicted. I’ll probably lose about £350 if I don’t go but I don’t care. It’s more the fact of being at a busy airport and going to a tourist city that has me nervous.
I don’t know what to believe about the virus anymore either 🤷🏼‍♀️

This virus will probably be a 'new flu' it won't go away and will be here in flu season year after year, swine flu is still around.
Yes that is the prediction. However, the Coronavirus is not the flu. There are now seven strains of Coronavirus, two of which (229E and OC43) cause symptoms of the common cold and none of the seven have a known cure. The other five are described in medical literature, as causing serious respiratory tract infections. There are two main types of flu, A and B. Swine Flu can also cause respiratory tract infection but is a type A influenza virus and is currently included in the influenza vaccine, so can be prevented.

• Wow
I thought the same about the rugby matches this weekend. All those people rammed into stadiums, that is a viruses idea of heaven.

The government haven't acted fast enough or been strict enough in my opinion.
A friend of dhs, returned from Italy 2.5 weeks ago, he hadnt come from a high risk area so he didnt quarantine himself. Went on about his daily business, 8 days after he arrived back in the UK he got a fever, followed by aching muscles and a cough. He was tested and it came back positive.
In the last few days his mother in law, who has a whole host of underlying health issues has tested positive for it as well. She has no previous travel history.
They are both in quarantine but the work colleagues of the guy arent. This is a small team of people who spend hours within poking distance of each other. Why arent they being quarantined too?
Similarly my sister in law told me yesterday that a guy in her brothers office has tested positive after returning from a holiday in France. Her brother sits at the desk adjacent to this guy. He was in the office for a week before he got symptoms. The guy is now in quarantine, the office has been shut down but all the people in the office her brother included havent been told to self quarantine. Why?

I know you could say 'where does it end' but i think a colleague sitting at the next desk, who had spent 70 hours in close contact with that person should be quarantined.

• Wow
Reactions: 22
My mum has an auto immune disorder so believe me I know what effect this will have on her if she catches it and she WILL die- no 2 ways about it, but the same will happen to her if she catches normal flu, and she almost died last year from catching a very severe case of norovirus, so you see I understand the concerns. But the government give worse case scenarios that will never ever happen!

Unfortunately we are going to have to let it run it’s course! And just wait and see!
There is no point now panicking as what are people going to be like in another 2 weeks time when it’s worse,

I didn't say I was panicking. I'm just doing what I can to avoid catching it because in the best case scenario, I'll be ill for 2 weeks and statistically likely, to pass it on to 2 or 3 people.

I wonder what’s going to happen if the increase continues😕 will we end up on lockdown like Italy? Will schools close? It’s going to impact on businesses so much

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.