Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

KateESJ

VIP Member
I'm confused by their testing process. How can they get confirmed cases if they aren't testing people unless they've been near a confirmed case.
I think they’re testing people in hospital who have symptoms too, but I could be wrong.
I think a lot of the confirmed cases are people who have knowingly been in contact with other people who have it. I don’t completely get it either.

Reactions: 1

Jc456

VIP Member
Th
Which would be 2 weeks before the easter holidays start, so not unreasonable to think they may possibly, in the worst affected areas, close some of the schools.
My childs teacher this morning told me they have been given advice from PHE on the steps to take and when to take them. They've increased handwashing, installed extra soap dispensers and the cleaners are doing more thorough daily cleans. She said she couldnt divulge what else was going on behind the scenes but there was nothing to worry about.
Last week we were given log in details to several online learning facilities too, we were told this is for 'homework' but i wonder if this is what they are planning on using should the school have to close.
That's really good. My girls school haven't even upped handwashing/antibac gel. My eldests class are more prepared for an earthquake than this! We live in Devon, I'm not sure why they have practiced an earthquake alarm?! 🤷‍♀️🤣

Cocobean

VIP Member
So. My client just said that her boyfriend whom she lives with has just flown back from northern Italy through work. He is not self isolating? Should he be? Should she have come to get her hair done? Am I now at risk? Do I need to self isolate?
We had someone sent home from work for 2 weeks because the person they car share withs other half had just come back from italy and they didnt want to take any chances.

My littlest had similar last week and 111 was useless as unless you've travelled to concerned country symptoms are dismissed but like I've said people could be picking it up from anywhere and not know!

Our little one went from waking up fine to temperature of 39, cough, lethargy and generally unhappy. Temperature kept at 38 by Calpol but kept rising and one night I thought we'd have to take her somewhere. Once fever broke, as such she was left with a cough, bothersome enough to cause her to be sick, it's been 2 weeks and she still isn't 100% seems to get tired easy, on and off food, sleeping more but her tempersture has stayed normal, the cough however remains.
Oh hope she feels better really soon, such a worry when they are poorly as they can’t always tell you wants wrong. We’re only on day two, but we’re in the 38 something whilst on calpol but shoots up to just over 39 once it wears off. Such a chesty cough too. Not much appetite and she’s fast also now which never ever happens. Just hope my 6 year old doesn’t get as he gets viral wheezes as it goes straight to his chest, so fingers crossed.

conrea37

VIP Member
Not commented on here yet but been following. Feeling really freaked out tonight for some reason, feels like we are in a film 😩 Feel like its a lot worse than the goverment/media are telling us.
Contagion? I'm very tempted to watch it again!

Anyone know what time the COBRA meeting is meant to take place today?
I was chatting to my boss about it, expressing my concerns re statutory sick pay and the possibility of our office being forced to close. She was saying she thinks they will take measures first to lock down all non essential stuff like events etc and then move onto more strict lockdown if it doesn't make a big enough difference.
She thinks we would still be able to work as long as consultations are done over the phone (legal firm) and courts would be postponed. A lot of other stuff can be done via post and email anyway.
But that of course is just a guess on her part.
It's so hard to know what to expect
I’m also in the legal industry and we’re also wondering whether there will be guidance from the Courts with regards to issuing blanket stays. Realistically, they won’t be able to function either with a skeleton staff nor will they appreciate a huge backlog of applications to stay proceedings or set aside opportunistic judgments. Interesting times.....

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I'm personally avoiding anyone that looks like they would go skiing in Italy for half term. ;)

I heard a woman call her dog Pedro and I immediately crossed to the other side of the road :D
What about a 4/5 year old boy in Sainsburys called Valentine?

(true story)

monga

VIP Member
and I totally get that, I get trying to manage the hysteria, I go onto Twitter and feel a bit overwhelmed by what I’m reading (mostly pissed of but when I’m not pissed off, slightly overwhelmed 😂)

but you can’t randomly quote stats about another illness to make your point more valid. This is what’s annoying me about social media,
nobody seems to be playing with facts.
The hysterical are throwing toilet rolls at each other and screaming were all going to die because the government are covering up hundreds of cases and deaths.
the other side are saying they had an illness EXACTLY like the corona in 2010 and sure, they’re fine,
and how many people died from a fallen tree in 2019 and there was no fuss around it.

I just need less crazy, and less extreme, we all need less crazy 😂
and a few more toilet rolls. 🤷‍♀️
Well I thought it was more serious than what they were trying to make out when even St Patrick had to cancel his shenanigans ☘

HamburgerHelper

I'd definitely keep her off.
If your luck is anything like mine she'll catch something walking out of there on Thursday 😂
thats what I was thinking, she only goes 2 days a week so it’s going to be the last day 🤣 I’m hoping that people are a lot more aware of it now and are self isolating if they have something

Horatio

VIP Member
Personally I’m very suspicious that they knew so much about it so early on.
So much? Like what? If didn’t even have a name until about two weeks ago!

How little is known about the virus has been one of the most difficult things about containing it, scientists at the WHO etc have been working round the clock to learn more

CrouchEndTiger

My husband will check on the travel insurance.
We already cancelled the car insurance. Airbnb have all agreed to refund as not our fault / domestic tourism is really skyrocketing

Personally im putting peoples health and lives above the economy and wish the government would do the same. Ppl matter more than money. The country should have stopped incoming and outgoing travel before it reached us, now its too late for that so we should all go into isolation for at least a month
govt will always put economy first.

Car hire. Not car insurance. I think we will lose about £800 in total.

• Sad

memoii11

VIP Member
I hope we have time 🤣

No clue how it would work for me, my husband can work from home but i work in a hospital,that won't shut in a lockdown surely.
I hope we have time too 😂 I live miles from shops and can't get there quickly!

In Italy it looks like people
Just can’t travel. People are still walking around but have to stay 1.5 metres away from others. Restaurants are open until 6pm as long as the tables are set one metre apart. People are in supermarkets but again observing distances and some shops are doing a one in one out system. Just from listening to people on the bbc
Ah thank you! I hadn't heard that.

MindyLahiri

VIP Member
Maybe this is stupid to ask - but I'm headed to Tesco to build up a small stock of essentials (not hoarding ) just in case, and my mind is blank ?! What sort of foods would be best?!

I guess anything in a can...?!

Notothefakes

VIP Member
Same here I can't find it anywhere and the schools are asking the parents to make sure the kids have it.

What I did was bought a 3 pack of those small travel spray bottles in the poundshop and put in 1 part dettol to 5 parts water, and that will just have to do them until I can find some.
My old school apparently had two big bottles on reception that went missing. Students suspected of taking them but we were joking they’d probably be on the local spotted site for a huge price 😂

• Haha

bubbletea123

VIP Member
I had no idea Italy had such an ageing population, I naively thought they were roughly same demographics of us so I see the difference now.

I’m going to keep checking the numbers everyday, does anyone have any insight / suggestions into what the tipping point might be to put us into the delay phase? I presume it will be an explosion of cases or unexpected deaths.
Maybe it would be if a retirement home got it?

Darlascott236

Is it highly contagious? Or is it close contact with someone infected that’s the biggest issue? Is it in the air?aswell as touching surfaces they’ve touched?

Why did swine flu infect and kill more people but I don’t remember so much panic?
It’s highly contagious but you have quite close contact with someone for 15 mins or more. Someone sneezes or coughs it will land on surfaces so will spread that way but it’s not air borne.
I can’t remember much about swine flu so it musnt have been in the media as much?

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
For anyone not able to buy hand gel. There's this french company who still have stock. Prices are higher £3.00 a bottle for 30ml. 62% alcohol.

If you can get past the hello babe and rainbow woo-ness .

NB: I have zero shares in this company xD.