Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
My dad went to china town in London a couple of weeks ago with my brother to celebrate their birthdays. The restaurant they always go to usually has queues out the door but when they went they were seated immediately and the place was half empty 😕
My husband also does deliveries for a local Chinese takeaway but he hasn’t been needed for the last couple of weeks because they haven’t had enough orders to be able to pay him.
I'm personally avoiding anyone that looks like they would go skiing in Italy for half term. ;)

I heard a woman call her dog Pedro and I immediately crossed to the other side of the road :D

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Same. We have a lot of savings put aside (100k+). Plus more in an emergency account and our pensions. It does shock me that many people do not have anything set aside. It makes me realise how lucky we are.
Not everyone is on great money though to afford to put 100k aside! Even 10k aside is a lot. Yes you are very lucky you have that amount of money!

Reactions: 37
If you live month to month would wouldn't pass the mortgage application process. I know many live month by month because of a low income, but also many live month by month on a good income because they choose to spend it all. Why should tax payers bail out people to help them build up a personal asset and private wealth? It's not your home unless you own it outright, if you can't make the payments for many months it will get repo'ed then people can rent and claim housing benefit to help with rent. Millions can't afford to buy and j don't think it's fair on them to use public money to bail out those with mortgages. Unpopular opinion I know.
Your comments are ridiculous.
My partner is self employed and earns a decent wage which has meant I’ve not had to go back to work after having our son. We usually having savings however this has had to go to paying my partners tax bills. We rent and are not entitled to housing benefits. If we are made to self isolate we would seriously struggling to pay bills.
Maybe you should stop and think of peoples circumstances before making comments like that. Circumstance can change at anytime and sadly a lot people live month to month thanks to living cost.

Reactions: 35

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
It’s baffling me that children arnt getting infected? I mean obviously that’s a good thing but I wonder why?
Ooh I know this one! 🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️ It’s because they are FILTHY LITTLE FECKERS so are basically carriers of ALL THE GERMS but only succumb to illness when you least want them to i.e date night/wedding/in a good mood/sun in shining/washing is up-to-date.

I say this as the mother of 3 boys. I can’t prove it in a medical sense, but to be fair the government aren’t coming off too clever in terms of their expertise right now so I’m self-qualifying as a professional right now,

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34

Notothefakes

VIP Member
Anybody else think Jeremy and Theresa are off sipping a cocktail somewhere saying thank the Lord it’s not us having to handle this 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 33

Spinidge

VIP Member
It sounds rather pessimistic but I can appreciate why the govt hasn’t moved to the next phase yet. The economic damage will be significant.

It sounds really cynical but if a disease were kill 3% of our aging population (and others), would they not be inclined to take that risk? It would reduce the long term health care cost/pension burden etc.

i am in no way suggesting this is the case - but compared to potentially economic catastrophe of social distancing - I can understand the governments reluctance.
Everyone has the right to life regardless of what economic 'burden' they cause!!! You can't go playing at God just to save money. Italy has frozen all mortgage payments, they are putting their citizens lives first. Anyone who seriously thinks that prioritising people's lives over money needs to question their moral compass.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Marcos SP

No disrespect to anybody here. But I'm shocked at the amount of people with insecure jobs that can't pay their mortgage in a month if they lose their job. The mortgage application forms make it very clear if you can't keep up with repayment you will lose your home. Why do people expect government help with their mortgage? That's not fair if the government helps people with their personal assets. At most they can work with mortgage companies to stop interest payments for a couple of months. The times of jobs for life has long been over, if you've got a mortgage it's mainly your responsibility to make payments. And mortgage payments are low at the mo.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 28

Mercedes12

VIP Member
Just had to jump on here and say how completely selfish this panic buying is!

All I can think of is elderly and disabled people with no family support who rarely get out to do a food shop and probably don’t have the means to visit more than one shop - they won’t have access to the essentials that they need because some idiots think buying 1000 rolls of toilet paper will somehow help them avoid a virus.

Irony is that these people bulk buying soap don’t realise other people need to wash their hands to reduce the risk of an infected person passing it on to them. Sat at home with 50 bottles of soap and will probably pick it up off a surface touched by someone who couldn’t get any cause it was sold out! 😂

• Heart

Stickladylove

So, just had an update letter from our school saying they are looking into plans for remote learning if needed; but then says it’s fine, government advice is all trips going ahead and full steam ahead for SATS?!

I think they’ll get the budget out the way and we will see movement into the delay stage.

Also, my Tattle ads have changed from face masks to funeral plans 😱😆

• Haha
  • Wow

caitlinbullen

VIP Member
It's been reported that John Travolta has tested positive. He's been quoted as saying "I got chills....they're multiplying."

Sorry not sorry. Humour is my coping mechanism. I know this is very serious but that one just made me lol as it's SUCH a bad joke and I needed a smile this morning.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25

KateESJ

VIP Member
not corona related but i worked with a lady who had year old twins. one caught a virus whilst there and sadly died
my son had a viral infection a few weeks before he died (he had leukaemia) and he got over the virus but he began to decline quickly not long after and I'm convinced the virus was responsible for that. Maybe not, but I've always suspected. Something like coronavirus would've killed him. It's people (children and adults) like that, that I worry about.

• Sad
Reactions: 24

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Hey I hope that’s not aimed at me and my stupid polenta joke. You only have to look at any of my posts tonight alone to know im not treating it like a joke at all, rather urging people not to take risks, to remember the hand washing etc More than that I’m equally concerned about those such as yourself having a hard time with anxiety - it’s a terrible thing at the best of times. I hope you have some coping mechanism and people to talk to - friends, professionals and even online. Take care.

Maybe I’m being self centred to assume you were referring to me - but the post came so soon afterwards I don’t think it’s too unreasonable. The thing is, you can make a silly joke like that and still care. We’re living through an extraordinary time, comedy is one of several ways of reflecting that. We can’t forget to laugh when we need it most. It’s always been the British way (“who do you think you are kidding mr hitler?”)

So if you were upset by me - I’m sorry you are having a hard time but I’m not sorry for posting that. It was so tame (and yes not even that funny) If not aimed at me, try not to worry about some online joking. I know “try not to worry” is the worst thing you can say to an anxious person but if you look at the UK public’s response from a different angle, it’s actually quite remarkable how seriously the majority of people have taken it- in real life where it matters. My work place now has hand sanitiser at all entrances, poems to read while washing hands stuck to mirrors alongside official instructions on the most effective method and several bottles of dettol. That’s just a microcosm of the same thing happening on a wide scale across the country. Most people are taking it seriously where it matter - so it’s no wonder they need a lighthearted outlet too. Please don’t call yourself stupid or that you need to get a grip - your concerns are valid. But also try to accept other ways of coping. Take care and be well.
I have made jokes on this thread from day one, numerous times 🤣 and I will probably continue to do so.

There is however a thread that was set up by admin for people who are extremely anxious and in need of reassurance or support,
I think if users are finding it difficult to deal with the jokes and banter that are mixed with the very somber posts on this thread it’s a good place to go for support or advice, or just for somewhere to vent. No offence to anyone who does, it’s a difficult time.

but I’m not going to let fear turn me into a miserable depressed user spouting doom and gloom with no respite from that.
There’s enough of that online as it’s is.

In between counting my toilet rolls I come here for a break from the more serious news, I personally like the mix we have here. so never say sorry for humour!
if you’ve lost that you’re already dead.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

ConfusedMango

I’ve not long witnessed some scratter coughing all over the food in the chilled aisle with zero attempt of covering her mouth. I dropped my basket and walked out. What is the point in people being conscientious of maintaining good levels of hygiene when others don’t give a fuck? 😡

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

nbt

VIP Member
Is that polenta left? 😂
I have to say, it did make me laugh in my local Asda yesterday... all of the regular baked beans had been cleared. There was a good lot of reduced salt beans left though 😂 it’s like, “we’ll panic buy but those reduced salt beans? You can sod off. We draw the line!”

• Haha

emm

VIP Member
My best friend is an ambulance paramedic in South London and she's just been informed they're cutting back and she's been grounded.
She's now working in a hospital along with tens of other paramedics because they're becoming overrun.
She hasn't been told which hospital yet but that's a huge concern in my eyes 🤦🏻‍♀️
i feel so bad for everyone in the nhs. such a thankless job, they are treated so badly by this govt it is unreal, and when theybare doing probably the most important job for society

No disrespect to anybody here. But I'm shocked at the amount of people with insecure jobs that can't pay their mortgage in a month if they lose their job. The mortgage application forms make it very clear if you can't keep up with repayment you will lose your home. Why do people expect government help with their mortgage? That's not fair if the government helps people with their personal assets. At most they can work with mortgage companies to stop interest payments for a couple of months. The times of jobs for life has long been over, if you've got a mortgage it's mainly your responsibility to make payments. And mortgage payments are low at the mo.
Why the shock? You’ve literally said it yourself that ‘the times of jobs for life has long been over’. So what we’ve ended up with whole swathes of people on zero hours contracts. When that becomes the standard across many industries, people have no choice but to take the jobs available and end up living pay cheque to pay cheque.

Many will have been in more secure jobs when they obtained a mortgage, it only takes one event for people to end up less secure and up shit creek when something like this happens. It’s really not that surprising!

• Heart
I live in Gloucestershire and can’t believe Cheltenham races is still going ahead... again a case of £££ before people’s health. During race week men urinate in the street, can’t see them washing their hands!!! I’m avoiding Cheltenham all of next week anyway, just seems madness that 50000 plus people a day are allowed when we are meant to be trying to contain it

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 22

Fmf17

Chatty Member
Because some (most I assume) people live month by month. Doesn’t mean you can’t afford it

I’ve just rang 111 after having all the symptoms bar shortness of breath (but some chest pain) with possible contact (hospital worker)

I can’t be swabbed unless I am short of breath and the advice it to assume I don’t have it - they will only give appointments to be swabbed on this basis:ROFLMAO:

What a farce, how many people are slipping through and have it because they aren’t being given the correct advice. I’m not worried for me but the vulnerable people I could possibly make ill.

I am now almost convinced that it’s to dumb down the number of cases, I really am.

• Wow