Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lucky you we used all our savings pay deposit to buy a house.
When you in private rental.woth rents 1000k a month for 3 bed and you have kids plus childcare it's hard to save on 1 or 2 wages.
We are aiming to build up savings over time as hate not having much in case of emergency.
We have credit card and think we can take Payment break on mortgage.
If you have debt Payments it's hard to save we cleared all debts before buying.
Our house is old and needs work we doing it gradually and mostly ourselves

I remember last credit crunch 2008 and we were worse financial position then than now.
It was said then that Britain's had high debts and most dident have more than a month or up to 3 months wages saved.
I don't think that's changed.
In fact I think consumer debts cuts in some benefits it's probably higher than the last crash.
We did the same nearly 2 years ago (all our savings went into buying our house, we borrowed over £17K on renovating our house (we've just paid it back) and live in Surrey. My old rented flat was £1500 for a 2 bed. I appreciate we are in a fortunate position, but we have scrimped and saved and worked 2nd/3rd jobs to get some money behind us. With 2 kids too...

Reactions: 2
I mentioned earlier my business sent out a memo this AM encouraging remote working/WFH where possible and that our team leaders will establish a plan of who will WFH and when...I’ve just messaged one of my teams senior management to ask if they will be communicating this out today and he responded saying ‘there’s a call scheduled for 4pm but basically if you feel healthy come in to work, if you don’t work from home’

does that not defeat the point of prevention? Also what is the definition of healthy? I’ve got what feels like a standard cold (runny nose, sneezing etc) so am I healthy? Should I WFH? It’s not clear! I feel if you CAN work from home then you should, and my team all can.

Reactions: 6
I mentioned earlier my business sent out a memo this AM encouraging remote working/WFH where possible and that our team leaders will establish a plan of who will WFH and when...I’ve just messaged one of my teams senior management to ask if they will be communicating this out today and he responded saying ‘there’s a call scheduled for 4pm but basically if you feel healthy come in to work, if you don’t work from home’

does that not defeat the point of prevention? Also what is the definition of healthy? I’ve got what feels like a standard cold (runny nose, sneezing etc) so am I healthy? Should I WFH? It’s not clear! I feel if you CAN work from home then you should, and my team all can.
I agree, if you can work from home it is probably best practice to. If not for your own health but those around you.

Reactions: 2
Am I stupid for actually crying with worry about this? I’m worried for everyone but having a husband with asthma and I have some health condtions my anxiety is wild. People keep saying it’s just like flu or it’s scaremongering dont watch the news, but the reality is this is serious and my anxiety levels have soared. I almost had a panic attack the other day my chest was so heavy with the stress and worry.

I probably sound like a head and we’re all in the same boat so it’s not just about little old me ☹
No, you're not. It is normal to be worried especially when you know someone who it could affect badly. I am fed up of people being blase about it..my SIL is the same. Says she's not worried about the flu, yet her dad has a lung problem. Maybe try and step back from the news? Easier said than done, I know x

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Yel

Friend works at a printers and they have no work at the moment as they mainly do work for events and that's all been cancelled. She thinks they'll struggle to stay afloat past April unless things change. Sadly I think lots are in the same situation.

• Sad
St Patrick’s Day parade has been cancelled in Dublin ☘

• Sad
Reactions: 10
thats why I like the worldometer stats as it gives the numbers of new cases and recovered cases
Yes this website it very helpful and puts figures into perspective,

There may be a shock figure tomorrow to compensate for today’s lower figure but it’s lower figure and we’ll take that for now!

Reactions: 5
I live in Gloucestershire and can’t believe Cheltenham races is still going ahead... again a case of £££ before people’s health. During race week men urinate in the street, can’t see them washing their hands!!! I’m avoiding Cheltenham all of next week anyway, just seems madness that 50000 plus people a day are allowed when we are meant to be trying to contain it
Me too. I'm staying out of town at all costs

Reactions: 3
No, you're not. It is normal to be worried especially when you know someone who it could affect badly. I am fed up of people being blase about it..my SIL is the same. Says she's not worried about the flu, yet her dad has a lung problem. Maybe try and step back from the news? Easier said than done, I know x
Thank you so much. I’m sick of people being blasé too.

Im trying to stay away from the news because as soon as I watch it my chest is heavy with stress. It’s too scary to watch now,

Reactions: 5

Yel

Matt Hancock (and his NHS pride badge) saying the same things he's been saying for weeks at parliament. I wish they would just put their cards on the table.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I watched an interview on C4 news the other day with a chap who said that we have come together to overcome much worse in our history as a country so we really must all step up to overcome this. Look at how we dealt with the world wars and the hardships we faced and what we could pull together to do as a country then.

The outcome of this virus lies in our hands, we can’t wait for the government to take action entirely so we must do what we can to prevent the spread ourselves and I’ve seen a few people saying they’re staying out of towns and away from big events and I think that’s commendable. I’ve cancelled an event I was attending on Wednesday because it hasn’t cost me anything to do so and just seems smart to minimise the risks wherever we can.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Just got a breaking news alert that 4th person has died in the UK from Corona - Theres no details on the link yet

Update: Appears to be a woman in her 70s from Wolverhampton

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Apparently a fourth person has passed away in UK. People may scoff and be blasé about the situation but they forget the fact that those people have friends and family who will be utterly devastated at their death.

Just edited to add that the media are reporting that this person hadn’t travelled, which is bloody concerning.

• Sad
Reactions: 20
I watched an interview on C4 news the other day with a chap who said that we have come together to overcome much worse in our history as a country so we really must all step up to overcome this. Look at how we dealt with the world wars and the hardships we faced and what we could pull together to do as a country then.

The outcome of this virus lies in our hands, we can’t wait for the government to take action entirely so we must do what we can to prevent the spread ourselves and I’ve seen a few people saying they’re staying out of towns and away from big events and I think that’s commendable. I’ve cancelled an event I was attending on Wednesday because it hasn’t cost me anything to do so and just seems smart to minimise the risks wherever we can.
I cancelled a hospital app I had today. I didn’t want to risk sitting in the waiting room. It wasn’t urgent and was an out patient app so I’ve moved it closer to the summer. I think we need to keep ourselves safe by not putting ourselves in unnecessary situations but still live our life

Exactly, the government can only do so much. People have to ensure they are doing all they can to protect themselves and their fellow humans.

There is no vaccine and there are people who are clearly going against the self isolation advice which is why it is spreading. We have got to ride this out and do why we can, wash your hands, stay out of crowds as best you can especially if you have underlying conditions and stop stockpiling. It’s not fair on those who cannot get out often, look after each other.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.