Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you noticed fewer people dining out since the Coronavirus?
We went out for lunch on Saturday. There was only one other couple eating and the bar was deserted. No idea if it was just a coincidence or if people are staying away.
I work in the hotel industry and we have had a lot of big conferences and tour groups cancel. People are less willing to confirm their bookings because of coronavirus.
I'm also getting frustrated with the company I work for as they are just sticking with "work as normal". There is no contingency plan that has been circulated if we do have to self quarantine or anything. I appreciate that the situation isnt at it's worst yet and maybe the company dont want to panic people by bringing up the worst case scenario but I would like to know that plans are in place and they are thinking of us.

Reactions: 6
Did I hear rightly on sky news that asthmatics are in a high risk group? I was told they weren’t by a healthcare professional. My husband has asthma and colds often end up on his chest, I’m now worried sick about him.
Yes asthmatics are deemed higher risk, I’m asthmatic

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Did I hear rightly on sky news that asthmatics are in a high risk group? I was told they weren’t by a healthcare professional. My husband has asthma and colds often end up on his chest, I’m now worried sick about him.
Anyone with a respiratory condition, is deemed higher risk.

I'm back in London for the daily grind and its business as usual here. Trains and shops packed, the panic of last week seems to have subsided. All be it, no hand sanitiser in sight.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
We went out for lunch on Saturday. There was only one other couple eating and the bar was deserted. No idea if it was just a coincidence or if people are staying away.
We went out for Sunday roast yesterday and were saying the opposite-it was rammed lol

Redblueyellow8 said:
Germany almost 1000 cases no deaths what are they doing ?
They just said in a press conference that 70% of all infected people are between 20 and 50 so atm just luck that not many old people got it.

Reactions: 4
Any they have said that Italy have a high percentage of old people, which is why their death rate is higher.

The UK is staying in the containment phase. I can’t see why they aren’t going to move to the delay phase. Italy stayed in their containment phase too long and I feel that we are about to do the same.

However, and I voted for them: this is a Tory government and they are doing everything they can to not disrupt businesses. They shouldn’t be prioritising this above public health though and I’m starting to feel that they are.

Reactions: 2
The UK is staying in the containment phase. I can’t see why they aren’t going to move to the delay phase. Italy stayed in their containment phase too long and I feel that we are about to do the same.

However, and I voted for them: this is a Tory government and they are doing everything they can to not disrupt businesses. They shouldn’t be prioritising this above public health though and I’m starting to feel that they are.
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the delay phase? How does it differ?

Reactions: 1
I started a new job literally a couple of weeks ago so I only get statutory sick pay (if at all) and the owner has already said no one is allowed to work from home. I’ve got 2 small children and no annual leave to take if school and nurseries are tit. The financial implications for me are massive as well as worrying about elderly relatives.

• Sad
We haven’t! Friday was really quiet which is unusual but Saturday and Sunday made up for it! I have though got a table as you enter with the “non touch” sanitiser on it and everyone on entry and exit is required to use. Big signs up on loo doors stating hands must be washed for at least 20 seconds. I’m particular with cleaning anyway but doing extra in a sense of the loo doors and front door. One thing I have noticed is people aren’t using cash as much and using contactless and have asked for bills to be split if Over £30! We’ve had to stop leaving loo rolls in our basket as they were going missing!!

Delay phase will include social distancing for specific groups, school closures and cancelling large public events.

For clarity, they would only be delaying any peak. A vaccine is unlikely to be available this year.

I started a new job literally a couple of weeks ago so I only get statutory sick pay (if at all) and the owner has already said no one is allowed to work from home. I’ve got 2 small children and no annual leave to take if school and nurseries are tit. The financial implications for me are massive as well as worrying about elderly relatives.
This is why I think the government is delaying moving onto the next phase. I am SE and will not get statutory pay, they have said anyone on 0 hours or SE will have to go onto UC. I cannot pay my mortgage on that, I am lucky that I will have backup and should be okay but this is not the case or the majority of the country.

Business will go under if they stop people traveling and force people to stay off work. Its a hard call to make!

Reactions: 3

I feel sorry any government it's a tough situation balancing caution with serious disruption to economy and education.
I do sadly think what this might highlight that our nhs is less well equipped than other European countries in terms healthcare facilities.
It's overstretched and overworked.
I would never want an American system but other countries oz/ new Zealand and Europe have fab healthcare that's cheap or free.

I feel sorry any government it's a tough situation balancing caution with serious disruption to economy and education.
I do sadly think what this might highlight that our nhs is less well equipped than other European countries in terms healthcare facilities.
It's overstretched and overworked.
I would never want an American system but other countries oz/ new Zealand and Europe have fab healthcare that's cheap or free.
Defiantly, our economy was already on the edge. But we also have less space and a higher population (in space terms).

Yel

The UK is staying in the containment phase. I can’t see why they aren’t going to move to the delay phase. Italy stayed in their containment phase too long and I feel that we are about to do the same
What they say they're doing and what they're actually doing are two different things.

The economic impacts are too high to start shutting down things, even just a 10% fall in business for shops/hotels/events/restaurants is going to have a huge knock-on effect.

They won't start shutting down schools and public indoor places until it hits the thousands.

Closing schools, public events etc. To try and delay the spread until the vaccine/cure is found.

Thank you. They definitely should be in that phase, are they stupid?

If we went to delay phase now maybe we could control this virus before it gets into thousands upon thousands. Why wait?

We share toilets in our office building with two other companies. I just spoke to our office a manger to highlight that with coronavirus spreading, we probably should switch to paper towels in the toilets rather than normal towels. I was told that “I had nothing to worry about” and “needed to chill”. I am on immunosuppressant medicine so this really isn’t a joke. I replied “OK, I will bring in my own then”.

She’s really for the environment so she’s probably rather that we all died before she lets us use one paper towel. 😂😂

Reactions: 8
Thank you. They definitely should be in that phase, are they stupid?
They have to think of the economy too. Shut the schools and parents have to take time off, plus just because the kids are not at school does not stop them socializing unless them force them to self-isolate. If these parents cannot do their job while at home, business have to pay them and run without needed staff.

I agree that until this gets bigger, they will not enter this phase.

Reactions: 7
They have to think of the economy too. Shut the schools and parents have to take time off, plus just because the kids are not at school does not stop them socializing unless them force them to self-isolate. If these parents cannot do their job while at home, business have to pay them and run without needed staff.

I agree that until this gets bigger, they will not enter this phase.
I agree closing schools just now is asking for trouble. Parents won’t want to keep them in 24/7 and will let them out to play. They will take them on outings. I think just now there still isn’t enough cases to do that, we might never get to that stage

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.