Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also they are mainly Catholic so tend to go to church several times per week so will have all been congregated together.
Also when taking Holy Communion you drink from the same cup with only a quick wipe with a dry cloth between recipients.šŸ˜Æ

• Sick
Reactions: 5
I find that hard to believe, NASA published satellite images of China showing dramatically improved air quality due to the lack of human activity because of Coronavirus. Here are the images https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51691967

With regards to technology tracking everyone wherever they go, that has very serious implications legally in respect of civil liberties. China's record on civil liberties and human rights is atrocious and I have no wish for the UK to emulate them.
The supposed erratic burning of bodies was back in January, I was just commenting on the fact that the stats provided by China are defo off as they were burning thousands whilst still claiming only a few hundred had died. And I donā€™t agree with the QR code thing and know it wouldnā€™t work herešŸ™ˆ I just think thatā€™s potentially how China has manage to reduce cases so quickly, as well as all the other human rights violations

The supposed erratic burning of bodies was back in January, I was just commenting on the fact that the stats provided by China are defo off as they were burning thousands whilst still claiming only a few hundred had died. And I donā€™t agree with the QR code thing and know it wouldnā€™t work herešŸ™ˆ I just think thatā€™s potentially how China has manage to reduce cases so quickly, as well as all the other human rights violations
They were also welding apartment building doors shut in Wuhan so people couldn't get out. I saw it on a CBC doc.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I was in a public loo the other day and a woman tried to walk out without washing her hands! šŸ¤¢
The woman next to me shouted at her 'OI HANDS NOW!' šŸ˜‚
Was talking about this at work - sometimes if i have to go into a cubicle to adjust stuff, such as hauling tights up, sorting a problematic bra etc I still wash my hands afterwards as canā€™t face anyone thinking Iā€™m a non-washer šŸ˜

Reactions: 13
Anyone know why Italy is the worst affected European country.
1200 worrying considering they on lockdown.
In Italy they are doing more than 1000 tests per day, thatā€™s also why there are so many infections reported

Reactions: 2
Did anyone see the fight In the supermarket over toilet roll in Australia?! šŸ˜³
Did toilet rolls companies secretly sent people out to hoard loos rolls and create this worldwide madness of hoarding loo rolls.. it's madness

• Wow
This really is serious View attachment 92462
yeah but bloody Easy Jet have a notice on their page advising their operations into and out of Venice and Milan are unaffected and will continue as planned!

Shocking! Other airlines (Delta and other US ones) are offering customers refunds but EJ are not at the moment. Hopefully they change their view on this today.

How the bloody hell can an area be quarantined if you\I\any tourist can pop over for a wee weekend visit? Why should locals put up with restrictions like this if tourists can come and go? Madness.

• Wow
In Italy they are doing more than 1000 tests per day, thatā€™s also why there are so many infections reported
Ahh so it's quite possible here more have it but don't meet criteria for testing.
Another question what exactly is incubation period as local case went northern italy self isolated and over 2 weeks now symptoms and diagnosis.
So is 14 days 2 week an accurate quarantine period?

Also when taking Holy Communion you drink from the same cup with only a quick wipe with a dry cloth between recipients.šŸ˜Æ
i go to church and we had this a couple of week ago, I was so nervous about it I nearly dropped the wine as I was passing it back šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø We have it again in a couple of weeks and I donā€™t think Iā€™ll want to do it

Reactions: 1
Ahh so it's quite possible here more have it but don't meet criteria for testing.
Another question what exactly is incubation period as local case went northern italy self isolated and over 2 weeks now symptoms and diagnosis.
ive heard this elsewhere, that itā€™s closer to 1 month šŸ˜³

I worked in a hospital at the time and we had 3 patients in intensive care in induced coma with swine flu
There was a LOT of planning and preparation behind the scenes for worst case scenarios, and extra morgue being set up, wooden boards being organised if whole wards had to be placed on lock down etc but because I worked there I have no memory of the general public's view on it.
I think the fact that social media and forums weren't used in the way they are now has an impact on it.
The NHS could never cope with even just 1% of the country getting coronavirus with the hospitalisation rate. A few extra beds in a hospital and some exta spaces won't even dent the sides.
Professor Jimmy whitworth who's professor of international public health at the London school of hygiene and tropical medicine said this morning on the radio he's expecting 80% of the country infected, 4 million people to be hospitalised and 350000-600000 people killed in this country alone and he's one of the most qualified people in the country to make that assesment! My sister is very high up in a trust and she's been petrified for weeks that the worst case scenario comes true and how they would never be able to cope. She's been told to play it down and say they're all very well prepared for it to reassure and give confidence.

The who say the death rate is 3.4% but because lots of ppl with mild symptoms are not being tested a doctor on the BBC revised this down to be more like 1% death rate. That's still over 10 times higher than flu.

• Wow
ive heard this elsewhere, that itā€™s closer to 1 month šŸ˜³
I figured incubation period must be longer than 14 days.
The independent hopefully more reliable than some rags says there's 2 types of strains of virus one mild one more serious.
Last I heard there's cases in Italy they haven't found out who got it.
Also same in UK they haven't been asia or Italy but now have it.
I don't think nhs is fully prepared outbreak.
How do people request and get tested?
I assume they told not go a &e or gps.

Reactions: 2
I figured incubation period must be longer than 14 days.
The independent hopefully more reliable than some rags says there's 2 types of strains of virus one mild one more serious.
Last I heard there's cases in Italy they haven't found out who got it.
Also same in UK they haven't been asia or Italy but now have it.
I don't think nhs is fully prepared outbreak.
How do people request and get tested?
I assume they told not go a &e or gps.
At the moment NHS 24 says you can only get tested if you have been to one of the listed high risk areas i.e. china, Italy Iran or have been in contact with a confirmed case. So if you are just ill but not been to one of these areas you can't get tested. Which seems crazy at this point as enough people have been confirmed who must have been out in shops, sports centers on buses etc and in contact with other people to spread the virus around in the UK!?

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Just wondering - does anyone remember what it was like with swine flu in 2009? I was a carefree student back then so didnā€™t really pay attention to the media/panic... from what I can tell it killed a lot more people than covid but in hindsight is regarded as pretty harmless overall? Did people stockpile back then? I know they set up lots of call centres to manage the amount of 111 calls they were getting (some of my friends worked in them). It seemed to be everywhere then just disappeared.
I was nursing in the swine flu outbreak. I don't remember people being told to stay at home or panic buying. It killed over 200k worldwide. 427 in the UK if I remember rightly.

Well we have just had the first confirmed case of it where I live. I hope the person makes a quick recovery. I currently have just your regular common cold but know when I go into work on Monday most of my students will be claiming I have the Corona virus

Which seems crazy at this point as enough people have been confirmed who must have been out in shops, sports centers on buses etc and in contact with other people to spread the virus around in the UK!?
Yes, I agree with this I think we are past the point of it being ā€œimportedā€. Weā€™ve got what, 8? 10? cases with no obvious foreign route of transmission. By my logic, those people must be in a bad way if theyā€™ve been tested for the possibility of covid 19 given the strict criteria for testing those only from ā€œaffected areasā€. Which also suggests to me there are plenty of carriers out there who have caught it in the uk.

Reactions: 4
But what I also don't understand is just because a large amount can be traced to people who have travelled must have been out it the community before they were diagnosed so surely they could have left the virus in all sorts of places ? And say they cough on a bus next person grabs the hand rail then gets off the bus and goes into a shop picks up something puts I back next person buys it and goes to visit there friend in the next town ? How would you trace all these people as connected ?

Yel

I went to a shopping centre today that is usually packed at the weekend, it was dead, the multi-storey car park was empty.

and it was fabulous!! šŸ˜‚
Looking at live video feeds and Venice is looking beautiful and sunny without the mass of tourists that usually ruin it. šŸ˜† If restaurants are still allowed to open until 6pm surely tourists can still visit? Flights are still landing, I'm kinda tempted to go but I'll self isolate for two weeks after I get back.šŸ˜¬

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.