Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else keep forgetting we’re in lockdown? I’m decorating at the minute and keep thinking like oh I must pop down to B&M this morning for some white spirit, then my brain catches up and I remember I can’t!

It’s just such a strange situation that I can’t get my head round it.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Wilkinson’s is open they have everything for sale!
I wonder if the people on the Stacey Dooley Armageddon doc are going to their concrete fall out shelters

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Is he the one who married Kym Marsh?!
Google says yes. They later divorced though.

Annoyingly and conveniently audible’s free 7 day trial isn’t working 😡
There's lots if you look on a website that ends in tube and don't want something in particular and just type audiobook.

Librivox- all books in the public domain + project gutenberg.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Everything is just speculuation at the moment. I don’t think we’ll spend 6 months in a hard lockdown but they did say it’s likely the best part of this year wil be spent relaxing and tightening restrictions.
the whole point of flattening the curve is that it’s a longer, drawn out time as opposed to a quick fast peak like Italy. And to think Italy could have had it much worse without their lockdown too.

very very vulnerable people will have to shield for as long as possible. They won’t tell them that because mentally, it’s very hard to people to accept that. But if the disease had no known cure and it’s a case where your body has to fight, sadly those who are compromised probably don’t have a chance at all. They’ll be wanting them to essentially hide until there’s a form of vaccine or more knowledge I’d imagine.

Reactions: 8
It’s official, this has all hit close to home and my aunt has been hospitalised and tested positive for coronavirus. No cough, just a temperature but the doctors have warned that things often go down hill within 24hrs and have warned her husband that she will not be ventilated. Understandable but grim to have it laid out like that.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
It’s official, this has all hit close to home and my aunt has been hospitalised and tested positive for coronavirus. No cough, just a temperature but the doctors have warned that things often go down hill within 24hrs and have warned her husband that she will not be ventilated. Understandable but grim to have it laid out like that.
That is awful. They won’t ventilate her if needed? I really hope her symptoms don’t get any worse and she gets better. Let us know xx

sending love ❤

Reactions: 6
I'm kinda sick of it 😫 it’s not my place to direct the conversation on the thread and maybe im burying my head in the sand but it’s disturbing,
this thread is disturbing when it continuously goes into this conversation.....and it’s disturbing enough as it is when we’re posting death stats that are reaching hundreds daily 🤷‍♀️
people trying to post photos of a dog being deep fried really isn’t for me right now.

I’m safer over on twitter with the idiots trying to fight each other like it a Jeremy Kyle set than I am trying to avoid conversations about breaded fillet of dog that people are continuously insisting on bringing up.

I’m keeping my head in the sand for now 😬 we pet dogs in the sand, we don’t add mayo.

sidenote: I understand the conversation is connected, its Just (for me) a lot. Don’t expect everyone to agree.
The point about not moderating or trying to direct the conversation is the most important one imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Oh im so sorry and hoping your aunt is ok asap. Why did they say she wouldn't be ventilated? Sorry if thats a stupid question.x

Reactions: 3
Sending lots of love to your family. Xx

Reactions: 4
That is awful. They won’t ventilate her if needed? I really hope her symptoms don’t get any worse and she gets better. Let us know xx
She has early dementia and got it in a nursing home. After not being allowed visitors for the last few weeks and she ends up getting it anyway. She is only in her 60s but I suppose needing care it makes sense, but yeah that have already tempered expectations and said they wouldn’t use a ventilator for her.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
She has early dementia and got it in a nursing home. After not being allowed visitors for the last few weeks and she ends up getting it anyway. She is only in her 60s but I suppose needing care it makes sense, but yeah that have already tempered expectations and said they wouldn’t use a ventilator for her.
I’m so sorry. How awful.
Stupid question, but how is your uncle? Will he be allowed to visit her?

Reactions: 8
I’m so sorry. How awful.
Stupid question, but how is your uncle? Will he be allowed to visit her?
No, there will be no visitors. Which obviously makes sense but I stupidly didn’t realise people admitted to hospital with the virus would be on their own until either they die or they get discharged.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
In getting sick of my neighbours extension. People and Van's and trucks there constantly. They didnt start building until things were already moving fast in regards to the virus but before lockdown. There is little space between our houses and I feel like we cant use our garden when they are there. I'm sure their extension is vital to the country though 🙄

Also had a dream last night that my school was preparing to go back after easter and because I work there I had no choice but to send my kids to a busy school along with working right as the virus was peaking, woke up terrified. Think its reading all the chat on here of people thinking they are getting ready to get back to normal next week lol.

100% sure tougher lockdown is coming listening to peoples stories on here about how many people are still bending/breaking the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
This has been posted here every night this week. Putting aside whether it's fuelled by prejudice and hypocrisy as that only seems to echo around the echo chamber, do you honestly think a petition is going to make the slightest difference? The one I saw was asking trump to bring it up with the UN...don't make me laugh. You realise this website (change. Org I mean) is probably blocked in China? The authoritarian government couldn't care less about an Internet petition. And on the very unlikely chance the UN decided to do something - what can they actually do? Economic sanctions?! Oh but we still want those cheap Chinese products... And frankly there are concentration camps in China oppressing uighur Muslims. If the UN can't close them down they aren’t even going to bother about this.

I feel most people know this and are just spreading this around to encourage anti Chinese sentiment
Totally agree I’ve not signed. There’s absolutely no point to it

Reactions: 1
Looks like it’s going to be a long time before we get real numbers, if ever, even from democratic countries.

+++

Italy has underestimated its coronavirus death toll by a third, or more than 6,000 people, a researcher has claimed as systems across Europe used to measure fatalities come under scrutiny.

“For every two sufferers in Italy there is another one you can’t see,” Matteo Villa, of the Italian Institute for Political Studies, said.

According to official figures there have been more than 13,000 fatalities in Italy, but thousands who die of the virus at home or in care homes are not counted because they are not being tested, Mr Villa said.

They are, however, showing up in overall death records for last month, which have risen on previous years. Mr Villa said that the difference was “mostly attributable to the virus”, adding: “Some of the increase will be people who die of other illnesses because they cannot find a hospital bed due to the crisis, but that will be partly offset by the decline in road fatalities due to Italy’s lockdown.”

Records released by town halls in Bergamo, at the heart of the outbreak, reveal that the number of uncounted virus deaths may be even higher than Mr Villa’s estimate. The northern province, which has a population of 1.1 million, officially registered 2,060 virus deaths last month yet total deaths rose by 4,500, more than double that.

Increasing Italy’s death toll by 50 per cent would drive up the mortality rate for sufferers to 18 per cent, far higher than the 9 per cent seen in the UK. The explanation may be that Italy’s count of more than 110,000 cases is also short of the mark, with estimates of the real number ranging from 400,000 to six million.
Yesterday, Italy registered 760 deaths over the previous 24 hours, taking the official total to 13,915.
In Spain Alba Vergés, the Catalan health minister, has admitted that the region’s death toll could be higher as only sufferers diagnosed in hospital are counted. He said that officials were trying to obtain more complete figures from funeral homes.
The mayor of the Catalan town of Igualada said that 140 people had died in his area last month, double the figure last year, but only 40 were officially listed as coronavirus fatalities. He attributed the gap to a lack of testing.

French officials admit that their country’s death toll, of 4,032 on April 1, is an underestimate because it only includes those registered in hospital. The discrepancy has brought claims of a government plot to reduce the death toll artificially.

The French government said that at least 884 people had died of coronavirus in nursing homes since the start of the epidemic, adding that this was likely to be a significant underestimate.

Jérôme Salomon, a senior health official, said the death toll in nursing homes was based on “very partial” figures, suggesting that it could in reality be higher.

Steven Van Gucht, a Belgian virologist and director of the country’s coronavirus crisis centre, said that deaths recorded outside hospitals in Belgium were all being counted, sometimes with no test. “If the doctor suspects it we will include it in our statistics,” he added.

Belgium has recorded almost as many deaths as Germany despite their vastly different population sizes.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
That’s so sad and she’s still young. I pray she comes through this. Xxx

Reactions: 6
I've just been told that as of 5pm today I'm being furloughed :( I feel sad because I genuinely enjoy working and am worried about how I'm going to fill my time productively and remain in a good mental state. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm incredibly lucky to be in this position, as I'll still receive some of my income whereas others won't receive anything if they were made redundant! I don't want to seem like I'm being a brat as I know I'm lucky but I just feel so worried and sad. I know at the end of it there still might not be a job for me to return to. Has anybody else felt like this? How is everyone filling their time productively?

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I've just been told that as of 5pm today I'm being furloughed :( I feel sad because I genuinely enjoy working and am worried about how I'm going to fill my time productively and remain in a good mental state. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm incredibly lucky to be in this position, as I'll still receive some of my income whereas others won't receive anything if they were made redundant! I don't want to seem like I'm being a brat as I know I'm lucky but I just feel so worried and sad. I know at the end of it there still might not be a job for me to return to. Has anybody else felt like this? How is everyone filling their time productively?
Same! I don't know how I will fill the time. I need to find some hobbies or things around the house to keep me occupied. Annoyingly we have only recently renovated so there isn't many jobs around the house.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.