Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #14

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Breaking News: Prince Charles is in isolation at Balmoral with Covid-19. It is also believed that Prince Andrew is isolating at Windsor with Jennifer-15 :ROFLMAO:
He’s not at Windsor. In fact, at this exact time, he’s at Pizza Express in Woking.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Also, i didn't realise until earlier when I was reading an article but an underlying health issue/condition is also having a BMI +40.
Last week 63% of people in ICU were obese or morbidly obese.
Copied from a news article:

Doctors have said that there are a number of reasons why obese patients are more likely to catch the virus.

Being obese can affect the body's immune system and increase inflammation, meaning the immune system finds its harder to also fight against the effects of coronavirus at the same time.

Patients with excess weight have more weight on their diaphragm as well, putting pressure on the lungs and making it harder to breathe and therefore starving them of oxygen.

In addition, clogged up arteries can also make it harder for blood carrying immune cells to circulate and travel to fight infection around the body.

Reactions: 5
I’m not convinced of this statistic, there is no way they had their bmi calculated on their way into ICU surely! Although that’s not to say bmi over 40 isn’t at risk. Just a thought

Wherever you look online the figures are clear.

The majority are obese.
A lot of the beds in hospitals have weighing scales on them but obese is obese.
You can look at someone as see they're unhealthy by the amount and placement of fat they have on them.

Reactions: 8
Copied from a news article:

Doctors have said that there are a number of reasons why obese patients are more likely to catch the virus.

Being obese can affect the body's immune system and increase inflammation, meaning the immune system finds its harder to also fight against the effects of coronavirus at the same time.

Patients with excess weight have more weight on their diaphragm as well, putting pressure on the lungs and making it harder to breathe and therefore starving them of oxygen.

In addition, clogged up arteries can also make it harder for blood carrying immune cells to circulate and travel to fight infection around the body.
I am terrified for my mum. I don’t care about catching it myself, I’m young, fit and healthy. But she has a severe respiratory illness and obesity

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I am terrified for my mum. I don’t care about catching it myself, I’m young, fit and healthy. But she has a severe respiratory illness and obesity
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully if you follow the social distancing and hand washing and your Mum stays indoors, she will stay safe.

Reactions: 3
Also, i didn't realise until earlier when I was reading an article but an underlying health issue/condition is also having a BMI +40.
Last week 63% of people in ICU were obese or morbidly obese.
Who have other issues caused by the high bmi - high blood Pressure. Spoke to my gp about this as I am slightly overweight and I’ve been reassured that it is people with other issues caused by the high bmi. Surely then smokers are high risk as their lungs clearly are not healthy? But they aren’t listed in the high risk. Sorry I eye roll at all the stuff with weight and bmi. Someone could be the same weight as me but because they are tall their bmi is much lower it drives me mad lol

Reactions: 6
Does anybody know HOW people are actually dying
Is it of cardiac arrest from body working too hard? Or they simply can’t breathe? I’m not a nurse but surely there are other ways of getting oxygen in the body, tubes etc? How are people dying?
I was reading an article about this.
Its something to do with the virus leading to pneumonia, the lungs fill with fluid and get inflamed. The body pumps extra blood and fluid to the inflamed area so the lungs go into a cytokine storm and the lungs are effectively drowning and other organs then begin to shut down.
But I dont know if that's all coronavirus cases or just a general idea?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Who have other issues caused by the high bmi - high blood Pressure. Spoke to my gp about this as I am slightly overweight and I’ve been reassured that it is people with other issues caused by the high bmi. Surely then smokers are high risk as their lungs clearly are not healthy? But they aren’t listed in the high risk. Sorry I eye roll at all the stuff with weight and bmi. Someone could be the same weight as me but because they are tall their bmi is much lower it drives me mad lol
Completely agree about BMI and its not always an accurate measurement.
However, overweight and carrying dangerous body fat, that extra pressure on your chest and lungs, with or without additional health concerns, it's dangerous.

Smoking of course, common sense. Hence why a few states in America are banning the sales of tobacco and cigarettes during lockdown.
Or trying to at least.

Reactions: 7
The hospital I work at have stopped ALL visitors this evening.
ALL? I saw this posted from a hospital in the area where some of my family members live:

To protect our patients, visitors and staff patient visiting has been suspended on all our hospital sites.

Visiting will only be permitted in the following circumstances:

• For patients who are receiving end-of-life care (one visitor per patient)
  • For birthing partners in maternity units (one birthing partner per woman in labour)
  • For parents or legal guardians in the children’s unit (one parent or legal guardian)
  • For parents in the neonatal unit (two parents)

Wherever you look online the figures are clear.

The majority are obese.
A lot of the beds in hospitals have weighing scales on them but obese is obese.
You can look at someone as see they're unhealthy by the amount and placement of fat they have on them.
After reading that article, I'm more terrified then I was before. Sadly I'm overweight so seeing that has made me tear up.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I have family in the states that im super worried for.
There's no national action from the government .
It's up to each governor of the state and mayors to make key decisions about their area.
Even then trumps whining it their problem they need to get on with it and stop moaning.
They have a shortage ventilators and masks too.
Also wondered if this virus will land more Americans with medical debt..
They are such a big country I assume they behind Europe but catching up.
Each press conference he does is useless he doesn't seem guided by the science or listening to his medical advisors.
Up until few weeks ago he thought it come to nothing then it's the Chinese virus he's always point scoring.
Was shocked at conference other day when he told the journalist he was rubbish scaremongoring fake news.
He not inspiring confidence and the US markets echo that.
He's a man with no plan and he will act too late.
This might finally be his undoing.
I think Boris is doing a ok job as he's letting experts lead and being quite calm but he's bluntly honest he's not sugar coating it for anyone.
People will lose loves ones. Being said was horrible and insensitive but it's the truth.
and the fact that he is an incapable leader is worsened by the fact that so many people in the states have no medical care and there is little welfare provisionso people are often unwilling/unable to not go to work even when ill.. i can only imagine how much worse thesituation in europe would have been without our (albeit often underfunded) public health systems

• Sad
After reading that article, I'm more terrified then I was before. Sadly I'm overweight so seeing that has made me tear up.
Ahh that wasn't the intention, sorry if it upset you.
It's so important to try and be as healthy as you can though.
It's never to late to adapt a healthy lifestyle and as long as you're staying inside and washing your hands I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
Just take care of yourself.

Reactions: 6
I’m not convinced of this statistic, there is no way they had their bmi calculated on their way into ICU surely! Although that’s not to say bmi over 40 isn’t at risk. Just a thought
2 years ago I was rushed into hospital with sepsis. And I remember being in resus and them having a calculate my BMI. Could never understand why.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.