Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

monga

VIP Member
I like the idea of it becoming mild for any group where it wasn't before but pessimism means I'll put that as a 'could' as well as its going to depend on how well we manage what one might describe as an attempt at a variant breeding programme of sorts.

I'm not old just yet, but to balance the pessimism I am reasonably confident that by the time I do reach said elderly status we will be on top of the covid thing or at least have it somewhere around the flu level i.e. jabs for those who need them, no lockdowns or border closures etc.
We're nearly there already ...jabs for those that need them,no lockdowns or border closures ,now all we need is for it to get even milder and we've cracked it .🤓

Reactions: 1

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
They didn't stay at the hotel though. The Australian Prime Minister lunched at The Jamaica Inn whist in Cornwall for the meeting
I don't doubt that there will be some official and/or diplomatic reason for that being allowed, and any official limo involved in getting from A to B would be considered sovereign territory*, though I confess I have no idea if there was any red carpet involved, or if so, whose land it would be!
Rules for them not being the same as rules for us, I don't doubt it.

* not sure if automatic or needs designation, fairly sure the little flags are a requirement to declare said territory?

Notgonnalie

VIP Member
Sorry I meant to say ‘informed conclusion’ rather than ‘decision’…I have since edited my post to correct the word. Unfortunately there is a lot of mis information spreading on the internet and social media and instead of helping people make informed decisions, it does the opposite.

Really sorry to hear about your cousin. I hope he is on the mend and is receiving the best medical care.
I agree it’s the case with a lot of things. I think instead of the government bribing young people to take the risks they should use the money to put out transparent education which answers all the hard questions honestly. I think the way it’s only shown that vaccines are great and wonderful, paired with the incentivising only adds to scepticism. There should also be a harder line taken to take down misinformation that is genuinely misinformation things like it being a tracker or 5G or all that usual crazy batshit stuff.

Thank you. He’s slowly recovering but just glad he’s alive it was a very scary time for us all aa we were told he was very unstable! Can’t fault the team around him they’re heroes

Notgonnalie

VIP Member
I could be mistaken but I believe the same caveat seems to apply to this as applied one of the previous comparisons of vaccinated vs unvaccinated death% (I think also sourced from a technical briefing) - these cases are of those admitted to emergency care, not the overall population case rate.

However, as presented it does seem to suggest that if you get symptoms bad enough to need emergency care then the chance of dying is reduced if vaxxed and significantly so if over 50.

That said, the key question would surely be what proportion of vaxxed vs unvaxxed are getting it severely enough to need emergency care in the first place?
It depends on the variant too. Latest stats show that viral load of some variants is the same whether vaccinated or not so it’s not even reducing transmission for some variants so depends how you look at it.

I think from the stats it’s clear the the vaccine is only more effective id say marginally rather than signficantly I don’t believe a difference of 4% is that considerable, it seems to be more effective in vulnerable age groups which is what was suspected all along but that of course is shouted down by everyone who thinks it’s everyone else’s responsibility to take a vaccine.

monga

VIP Member
More Delta + detected in San Fran the same as Florida where apparently they’ve under reported the deaths it’s in the 600s not 100s

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
How can you not remember being shown Wuhan at the beginning of all this, as far as I'm aware these images were shown on all the main TV channels and newspapers.

The India photos that were from a gas leak

So we have the mirror taking social media posts at face value, and then we have social media repeating and magnifying a mistake (albeit an easily avoidable but not uncommon one).
The real villain of the piece is not one but many, all vying for the clicks.

Notgonnalie

VIP Member
I am unvaccinated hesitant because of health issues but going ahead on Wednesday with a Pfizer jab I am aware it’s likely worse to get covid. Maybe I should have had the vaccine sooner but have been petrified. I what I don’t get is how there are more vaccinated people in hospital than unvaccinated? Is this true ?
Not true.

Public Health England said 55.1 per cent of the 1,467 people admitted to hospital with the Delta variant were unvaccinated, while 34.9 per cent were fully vaccinated. About 99 per cent of infections in the UK are caused by the Delta strain.

To date 74% of the U.K. have been fully vaccinated so far. 88% of the U.K. have been partially vaccinated. The vaccines are emerging to be as not as effective on the delta strain in terms of transmission. Apparently it may lessen symptoms though.

fireflies

VIP Member
There's definitely a big difference between UK and US unless the US are dealing with another variant that they're not aware of 🤷‍♀️ not related to that article bit there's something strange going on with US cases... No I wouldn't send them to school if there was a pos case at home.
But its same varient delta
I feel we lead similar lives and diets.
I know some states low levels vaccines but so do some places in the UK.

I wouldn't send mine in either
But the new rules say you should.
Just wondering if schools will put it down as unauthorised absence this year now isolating rules changed..
That a double jabbed close contact doesn't have to isolate.
Also a non vaccinated child also doesn't have to self isolate as close contact as if we keep denying kids don't get ill or spread the virus other countries say they do.

Doctor_Wibble

VIP Member
I wasn’t answering the question I didn’t quote anyone in what I said. I merely stated an opinion on a thread. Gees!
OK but I'm sure you can see why it might have come across that way, being just after two people asking about leaving self isolation early it did seem very coincidental and maybe people are just tetchy while re-learning (to paraphrase an old quote) that not all responses following a question are necessarily answers.

CosmicCreepers

Chatty Member
Apparently there is only one person in hospital with COVID in my county…I find that hard to believe considering our case rates are quite high but I think it shows the effects the vaccine rollout is having. Uptake in my area even among the under 30s has been high.

Notworthy

VIP Member
Moderna is proving to be most effective against Delta. It's the one I got. Are they giving it out in the uk?
I think it is difficult for us laypeople to really know whats going on. Pfizer was the 1st to be authorised, it's possible that it doesn't have the same long term effect that AZ have. I'm sure there will be research becoming available which will give a better idea of how the vaccines are performing over the long term

openbook1

VIP Member
Is the Pfizer vaccine not that effective then with what is happening is Israel? Pfizer are not the most law abiding company from past history they were the company that made OxyContin and got a massive amount of people in America addicted to them saying they were not addictive and good for you millions took them and a lot ending up going on to heroin when they stop prescribing them. Pfizer has a 900,000 million dollar lawsuit which is still ongoing. Not a company I trust yet I did get the Pfizer vaccine I just hope the scientists who made it haven’t made a massive mistake there are many issues though with all the vaccines. Only time will tell.
Moderna is proving to be most effective against Delta. It's the one I got. Are they giving it out in the uk?

monga

VIP Member
US citizens have been advised not to travel to Ireland even if fully vaccinated
6B09954B-2AB9-4074-A5C4-45C007AF4018.jpeg

Ursula getting her order in early this time

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Anyone know if it's ok to workout the same day as receiving the 2nd Pfizer jab? I'm 33 year old male and I've heard there are some issues with rare heart inflammation with the second jab. I just wondered if it's a bad idea to workout the same day or not.

Notworthy

VIP Member
It depends on the variant too. Latest stats show that viral load of some variants is the same whether vaccinated or not so it’s not even reducing transmission for some variants so depends how you look at it.

I think from the stats it’s clear the the vaccine is only more effective id say marginally rather than signficantly I don’t believe a difference of 4% is that considerable, it seems to be more effective in vulnerable age groups which is what was suspected all along but that of course is shouted down by everyone who thinks it’s everyone else’s responsibility to take a vaccine.
Where did you get 4% from