Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #10

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My daughter (16) and I are currently self isolating as she has a chest infection, and while she is sad that she is missing the last day tomorrow at school with her friends, even she is astounded that they have all decided to meet tomorrow night for a 'leavers sesh' which all Y11s have every year when they leave, basically they all meet on the school running track and get buckled. She has told them she can't go and they are being silly by doing it so they have all turned on her calling her boring. She has asthma as well as a chest infection so she is going nowhere, but I can't believe her 'friends' are being so irresponsible!

Cue a call to the school tomorrow .....
Teenagers are such a selfish bunch. Good on your daughter for not being a self centred sheep though! Sure she has the chest infection, but still could have easily taken a “I’m so jealous to miss out” line rather than standing up for what’s right. “Boring” so often a synonym for doing the right thing that no one wants to hear - im sure they all know at the back of their mind but none want to go against the grain.That takes bravery, especially among school friends, I’m sure your proud of her.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Anybody know any good homeschooling sites that will help me. I’m trying to sort out work for my child who is in year 10, there’s some work set online from the school but it’s not going to last long. I’m trying to do all I can to help by setting up a timetable and desperately trying to keep a routine but I’m out of my depth at the moment
On mumsnet they have a homeschooling section- maybe they would be able to help better.

Posted on the lbc thread but Theo Usherwood the lbc political editor is in hospital with pneumonia and suspected covid-19. He's in his late 30s I believe

• Sad
Reactions: 4
A Twitter post suggested that you put all snacks for the entire day in a little box, and that's IT! All they get. (Aside from meals) Little ones will learn to self regulate and decide for themselves if they really need a snack at that point, or if they are eating from boredom. Just a thought :)
please remove yourself and your helpful, intelligent advice from my mentions,
your negativity isn’t needed here 😐

On mumsnet they have a homeschooling section- maybe they would be able to help better.
mumsnet, Be careful, you’ll end up breastfeeding your 12 year old....JOKE, ITS A JOKE.

Anybody know any good homeschooling sites that will help me. I’m trying to sort out work for my child who is in year 10, there’s some work set online from the school but it’s not going to last long. I’m trying to do all I can to help by setting up a timetable and desperately trying to keep a routine but I’m out of my depth at the moment
@cushtybert the Irish site are giving free access when you set up an account for the corona months. Not sure about the U.K. site.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Not sure about the US but in the UK some mortuaries are being extended/temporary or mobile mortuaries in place.
Funeral services may be conducted and shared via Skype for families.
Mass funeral services may be conducted.
It is being advised that memorial services to be conducted at a later date post cremation/burial.
One concern I have is capacity to even hold funerals if a large number of people die at the same time. There are only 4 crematoriums covering the whole of Berkshire and when my dad died nearly 5 years ago (in spring, not even during the busier winter period) we had to wait 5 weeks for a slot for his funeral. It was awful and made a distressing time even worse.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
My friend has really infuriated me today. She has just been signed off work on early maternity, as her job is to high risk. She will get full pay for the next 2 months before maternity officially starts. She then started moaning that she will now have to have her kids everyday & wants a break before baby arrives. While the rest of the group of friends are worried sick of how we are going to pay our bills & feed our children because we have no alternative childcare from tomorrow & unable to go into work for the foreseeable & not able to work from home. Sorry for the rant, times like this either brings out the best or worst in people.
someone that I went to school with posted today about panic buying a hot tub....while I’m stressing my little head off knowing my husband won’t have any work booked in (does home improvements) and that I’ll probably have to end my maternity leave early when we planned that I’d take 2 years off to work full time in a care home for dementia for a company that doesn’t care about me. Real tit when people don’t even think or care about what others around them are dealing with

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Teenagers are such a selfish bunch. Good on your daughter for not being a self centred sheep though! Sure she has the chest infection, but still could have easily taken a “I’m so jealous to miss out” line rather than standing up for what’s right. “Boring” so often a synonym for doing the right thing that no one wants to hear - im sure they all know at the back of their mind but none want to go against the grain.That takes bravery, especially among school friends, I’m sure your proud of her.
Ah thanks, she is a good little egg, plus she would have to ask me to give her a lift there as we live about 4 miles away from the school, and knows I would refuse ;)
So we are planning a girly night in, masks, pizza, chick flick....:D

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Guys - its time for a stupid question. With all sorts of places, closing will petrol stations be open? My commute to school takes a tank of petrol a week!

Reactions: 2
Guys - its time for a stupid question. With all sorts of places, closing will petrol stations be open? My commute to school takes a tank of petrol a week!
It's day 4 of lock down for us.Those are still up and running. Just the non essentials like coffee shops, gyms,shopping centers, restaurants that are shut.

Reactions: 4
they will stay open, if it’s something that’s generally needed, it will always be available.
The Netherlands still have hash, France still have wine, Germany have bikes 🤣

2020 cancelled.
remember all those tossers who were so excited for 2020, the ones who banged on about it being their year 😐
twats.

Reactions: 12
My husbands just ordered an exercise bike 🚲 And declared we can all use it .... oh joy 😬

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
someone that I went to school with posted today about panic buying a hot tub....while I’m stressing my little head off knowing my husband won’t have any work booked in (does home improvements) and that I’ll probably have to end my maternity leave early when we planned that I’d take 2 years off to work full time in a care home for dementia for a company that doesn’t care about me. Real tit when people don’t even think or care about what others around them are dealing with
Panic buying a hot tub? Oh my days I have heard it all. Speechless (and maybe a teeny bit envious?).

I had to go on the hunt for tampax today (I was so prepared for everything, except the one predictable monthy thing 🤦‍♀️) and couldn't help but smile at the lady behind me in the queue with 2 bottles of champagne. She shrugged like "What else can you do?" 🍾

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
is this area dependent? My boys nursery key workers aren’t in the slightest bit bothered by it, but we are norfolk and cases are so so low.
My sons Pre-school is a community charity one, so I don’t know how that plays into effect.
I just know that they particularly were worried about the kids about to go to school in September and how it would effect them. To stop not until then is a long time esp for a 4 y/o. My son isn’t that old but I just thought I’d spread a little thanks to all they’ve done for him in a time where it seems so dark.

Reactions: 2
Should you self isolate of you have a cold?
I would if I were you. Simply because you are contagious and could compromise someone? However if you are not in the position to do so, wear a mask or avoid people as much as possible. Although if you are snottery, I'm pretty sure that's not going to be difficult :)

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.